Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Repost from my log, just to make sure you get your last minute Rathfarham 5k instructions :p Might be useful to others running rathfarnham too
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Cheers big ears :P
    Best of luck in Rathfarnham yourself. Reemember the first mile is fast but try to not go too fast (maybe 15-20 seconds better than goal pace). The second mile is tough, it is going to hurt and you will lose a little time but take it from me, once you get through that you WILL speed up again in the third mile. So just concentrate on digging in and getting through mile 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Post-distastrous Half Marathon Runs this week:

Monday 19th September
    - 8.3 miles @ 9.20
    Tough but satisfying!

Tuesday 20th September
    - 7 miles @ 9.10
    This was a nice route with about a mile downhill that didn't have to be made up (it wasn't a loop) so I don't feel like I really take pride in the average pace. Sure it was mileage at least.

Wednesday 21st September
    - 4 recovery miles @ 9.50
    A very early and dark :( 6.30am run into town for Pilates - why I thought it would be a good idea to leave myself car-less so I couldn't wuss out of this one is beyond me. I was a like a creaky old lady!!
    - Pilates

Thursday 22nd September
    I decided to try something different this morning - Discipline!!
    So I planned a disciplined short faster run in advance of the Rathfarnham 5k on Sunday. Half a mile warm up, 5/10 mins dynamic stretching, 2.3 miles at 8.24 pace (around the block hence the random distance), 5/10 mins dynamic stretching, half a mile cool down.
    - 3.2 miles total
    The 2.3 miles didn't instill the confidence for Sunday that I was hoping it might. It was a little sore and the breathing was heavy. I've said I'd love a 23.45 on the race thread but that's ambitious. I'm hoping that having publicly called it, I might be able to dig a little deeper when the pain hits on Sunday. Sub 24 is a 7.49 pace I think so that will be very difficult but sure I'm just going to go for it and give it everything and see what happens!

The legs got a good seeing-to from RQ this afternoon so if I get a PB, someone will be getting a nice present a 10p bag from Mannions ;)

Will do a few loosener miles at recovery pace tomorrow, take Saturday off and keep the fingers and toes crossed for Sunday! :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Repost from my log, just to make sure you get your last minute Rathfarham 5k instructions :p Might be useful to others running rathfarnham too

Thanks buddy!
    Going to pick up my number tomorrow so I'll post any last minute instructions on the race thread! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Go Ylang Ylang.......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

claralara wrote: »
    I know I can do the distance but I’ve let myself away with being a plodder and giving up when the slightest bit of discomfort hits for far too long. I thought I was ok with that until I realised how I felt after another cr*p race on Saturday. I haven’t really been myself for the last little while and I’ve now decided that seeing as running is one of the few things that I have full control over, it’s time to cop on, buck up, put the work in and get the results that I want from and for myself and that I should be capable of getting. I’m going to focus so hard on having a good day Dublin now and thereafter I am going to set some tough goals and achieve them!

Have an 18, a 20 and a 21 miler under my belt so far for DCM and definitely want and need another good 18 and 20 at least. It’s also time to put some quality and pain into the midweek runs. End of!

Came across your half marathon report by accident(and a week late) but I have to say Wow, fair play to you for your brutal honesty. I dont think you're being harsh on yourself, you're facing up to reality. Its a tough thing to do but its absolutley the only thing that'll enable you to take things up a notch. Dont ever accept second best or sub standard performances from yourself.

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    Came across your half marathon report by accident(and a week late) but I have to say Wow, fair play to you for your brutal honesty. I dont think you're being harsh on yourself, you're facing up to reality. Its a tough thing to do but its absolutley the only thing that'll enable you to take things up a notch. Dont ever accept second best or sub standard performances from yourself.

Yep, exactly. I've been taking the comfortable route and using the "I'm never going to win a marathon and running is only a hobby so why make it hurt" line for far too long now. I've had the discipline to build a good base and it's time to step it up. I'm not happy with where I am and I want to improve. So it's up to me now to pull it together and start putting in some good performances and getting the results I want. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Really disappointed that I felt so terrible for a time I’m unhappy with. I feel like I’ve made no progress in the last year. And worse still, I feel like I’ve made an absolute hash of training and any potential I may have had for Dublin. 6 weeks to go now and I don’t know how I can salvage it. I know I can do the distance but I’ve let myself away with being a plodder and giving up when the slightest bit of discomfort hits for far too long. I thought I was ok with that until I realised how I felt after another cr*p race on Saturday. I haven’t really been myself for the last little while and I’ve now decided that seeing as running is one of the few things that I have full control over, it’s time to cop on, buck up, put the work in and get the results that I want from and for myself and that I should be capable of getting. I’m going to focus so hard on having a good day Dublin now and thereafter I am going to set some tough goals and achieve them!

I'll put my foot in it here and suggest that you could certainly build some speed. DCM is pretty close, and doing anything too radical might by unwise right now, but I think you could certainly try and run some mid length (10 miles?) and LSR runs a bit faster. You've done a marathon, you're no newbie, you're young and fit...push out the boat a bit. Try running 8:30 or 8:00 miles interspersed with easier ones, rather than jogging along at 9:30 or 10:00. I've no problem seeing you running a marathon in 3:30 (that's not flattery, I don't see why anyone who trains and has reasonable fitness can't run that pace).

I'll put my foot in deeper now, and suggest that you're not alone - there are quite a few people that you see on Boards who are running pretty substantial mileage but sticking to relatively easy pace. That certainly gets the miles in, but (in my humble opinion, and I'm not saying it's gospel) there's a risk of junk mileage there. That's ok for a first marathon, but you're a "confirmed" runner at this stage...put the boot in a bit. If you do it carefully, and listen to your body, and don't overdo it too soon, you should have a good chance of avoiding injury, while improving pace.

I'll get back under my rock now

brownian wrote: »
    I'll put my foot in it here and suggest that you could certainly build some speed. DCM is pretty close, and doing anything too radical might by unwise right now, but I think you could certainly try and run some mid length (10 miles?) and LSR runs a bit faster. You've done a marathon, you're no newbie, you're young and fit...push out the boat a bit. Try running 8:30 or 8:00 miles interspersed with easier ones, rather than jogging along at 9:30 or 10:00. I've no problem seeing you running a marathon in 3:30 (that's not flattery, I don't see why anyone who trains and has reasonable fitness can't run that pace).

I'll put my foot in deeper now, and suggest that you're not alone - there are quite a few people that you see on Boards who are running pretty substantial mileage but sticking to relatively easy pace. That certainly gets the miles in, but (in my humble opinion, and I'm not saying it's gospel) there's a risk of junk mileage there. That's ok for a first marathon, but you're a "confirmed" runner at this stage...put the boot in a bit. If you do it carefully, and listen to your body, and don't overdo it too soon, you should have a good chance of avoiding injury, while improving pace.

I'll get back under my rock now

+1. Too close to the marathon at this stage to do anything radical but for your next race claralara you need to be specific in your training. Race pace sessions and Threshold running are key. Two quality days per week the rest can be easy running. But if you run at a certain pace all the time all you become is a runner who can run at that pace, you'll fall apart in a race if you try to run at a higher clip. There is pain involved but its a satisfying kind of pain. Daniels' has a mantra: Stay relaxed through discomfort. I train and race by this. If Im in a race and the pain hits, all I say to myself is, stay relaxed through discomfort, and my body instantly relaxes, which has the knock on effect of reducing the pain to a bareable level. Pain comes in phases, at least thats what I've noticed. In the half marathon last weekend at about 6miles gone it started to hurt, but I knew from experience that it was just a phase and that it would pass. If I had reacted to that pain and slowed in order to decrease its intensity on me, I would've blown the whole deal. I stayed relaxed and let the pain do its thing, it passed and at 10miles gone the same thing happened, again I stayed relaxed. If you accept the pain, dont fight it, but dont let it control your actions, if you stay relaxed and dont panic, I wont say pain becomes your friend but it definitely becomes bareable and less scary.

Just checking in from the phone so not a long one - cheers for the above lads, totally agree and appreciate the input.

Did 4 miles yesterday @ 9.26 to loosen out the legs. Rested today but calves still feeling a little tight. Gonna get up early in the morn for a good warm up before the race and just want to get through it in one piece with no regrets. And then I'll be putting all of the good advice above into action for the next 5 weeks!

Hopefully be back with some positive news in the morning! Best if luck to all running Rathfarnham and Berlin tomorrow :)

I'll be making sure to relax through discomfort!

Oh no lads, claralara has just discovered an old blood blister on the sole of her foot.... She may not be able to run the 5k as the foot might fall off AND it's her faster one :eek::confused:

• Advertisement

Horrible race. Messed up Garmin so didn't have a clue what pace I was doing and no way of finding out because I hadn't even hit the stopwatch properly. Think I hit mile 1 at about 7.25 judging by what someone on the side of the road was saying at a certain point. Overtook a few people at the hill up to Terenure but completely blew up on Templeogue road. Legs were shot and started to get a pins and needles type feeling creeping from the calves into the shins at about 3k. People were just passing me at this point like no mans business. Thought I could salvage something when I turned into the downhill for the last km and tried to pick it up but it was gone. My legs felt the way they did during the duathlons I've done - that complete jelly feeling you get running off the bike. I actually thought I was going to hit the deck. Lost the pace altogether so don't even have a fighting time to show. Don't have a garmin time so will post the sh*tty result when it goes online tomorrow. Shocking to report I don't think I even broke 26 :(

Really disappointed again but it just translates from the lack of training.
    It appears that the change in mind and attitude is only the first step in improving...the body now needs the shock and the change. Now it's time for an intelligent training plan and the hard graft to get the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

It appears that the change in mind and attitude is only the first step in improving...the body now needs the shock and the change. Now it's time for an intelligent training plan and the hard graft to get the results.

You've had a few knocks to your confidence but you can draw a line under that, refocus for 2012, run smart through the winter and concentrate on tempo and vo2 max sessions and you'll be flying when the season starts next year!

Horrible race. My legs felt the way they did during the duathlons I've done - that complete jelly feeling you get running off the bike. Don't have a garmin time so will post the sh*tty result when it goes online tomorrow. Shocking to report I don't think I even broke 26 :(

Really disappointed again

It's one thing telling yourself you're going to make some changes but it's only been a few days since you decided that, you're not going to see instant results....Either way, I'll cook you a nice New York Striploin tonight to cheer you up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yea, I thought the posts on this thread over last few days have been brilliant [and fully intend to steal some of the ideas/concepts for myself] - so its impossible for them to take effect in your training in a few days or indeed hours.

I would also maybe pass on some advice I got on a few fronts over the summer myself, which would be to maybe suggest that your racing a bit too often? I was doing a couple of races a month for a while, and in the end I got injured before burning out - but one was going to come. Many good people kept telling me that I should be doing max 1 race a month, and there should be some months with no races at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Clara, sorry the 5k didn't go well for you. Whatever happens don't let it get you down or discourage you. It was great watching your confidence and ability build om the way up to Connemara and you're really only getting going, with plenty more achievement in your reach.

Like the others say, keep it sensible for the next month, and then, regardless of how DCM goes (great or less so), think about performance. As well as miles over the winter.

Chin up:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Hard luck on the race, but then again, not all races are run well, it depends on a lot of things, but it's what you get out of it for the next one that matters.

Horrible race. Messed up Garmin so didn't have a clue what pace I was doing and no way of finding out because I hadn't even hit the stopwatch properly. Think I hit mile 1 at about 7.25 judging by what someone on the side of the road was saying at a certain point. Overtook a few people at the hill up to Terenure but completely blew up on Templeogue road. Legs were shot and started to get a pins and needles type feeling creeping from the calves into the shins at about 3k. People were just passing me at this point like no mans business. Thought I could salvage something when I turned into the downhill for the last km and tried to pick it up but it was gone. My legs felt the way they did during the duathlons I've done - that complete jelly feeling you get running off the bike. I actually thought I was going to hit the deck. Lost the pace altogether so don't even have a fighting time to show. Don't have a garmin time so will post the sh*tty result when it goes online tomorrow. Shocking to report I don't think I even broke 26 :(

I can understand your disppointment but I think you're forgetting one important thing: You went for it. You can only blow up when you go for it. I have yet to meet a person who ran very cautiously and blew up. You could've trotted around and played it safe, but instead you were aggressive. Trust me that spirit will serve you well, it just needs to be tempered with experience and smart, precise training.
    Remember aswell that it was a 5k. You've been marathon training so your body is accustomed to running long, not short and fast. I learned this lesson yesterday myself, went off like it was a half marathon not a 5k. Was 2k in before I even started to get going but by that stage it was too late to catch up, body just wanted to run at tempo or marathon pace.
    Anyway my point is dont beat up on yourself needlesly, dont make excuses but at the same time be realistic and fair. Its all about the marathon now so dont allow yourself to wallow in self pity or berate yourself, that'll just make things worse not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Eyes on the prise O - it's DCM, right? That's the focus, that's what the training is for, so these side races should be tempered with that. I know I'd run an appallingly slow 5K at the moment, cause all my training is long and slow... So don't beat yourself up too much :p
    Best of luck with the rest of the plan now, only 5 weeks to go now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi;

Its better we learn these things now before the marathon, we can do a 5k anytime its the marathon that takes time!

brownian wrote: »
    Clara, sorry the 5k didn't go well for you. Whatever happens don't let it get you down or discourage you. It was great watching your confidence and ability build om the way up to Connemara and you're really only getting going, with plenty more achievement in your reach.

Like the others say, keep it sensible for the next month, and then, regardless of how DCM goes (great or less so), think about performance. As well as miles over the winter.

Chin up:)
    Aimman wrote: »
    Hard luck on the race, but then again, not all races are run well, it depends on a lot of things, but it's what you get out of it for the next one that matters.
    tunguska wrote: »
    I can understand your disppointment but I think you're forgetting one important thing: You went for it. You can only blow up when you go for it. I have yet to meet a person who ran very cautiously and blew up. You could've trotted around and played it safe, but instead you were aggressive. Trust me that spirit will serve you well, it just needs to be tempered with experience and smart, precise training.
    Remember aswell that it was a 5k. You've been marathon training so your body is accustomed to running long, not short and fast. I learned this lesson yesterday myself, went off like it was a half marathon not a 5k. Was 2k in before I even started to get going but by that stage it was too late to catch up, body just wanted to run at tempo or marathon pace.
    Anyway my point is dont beat up on yourself needlesly, dont make excuses but at the same time be realistic and fair. Its all about the marathon now so dont allow yourself to wallow in self pity or berate yourself, that'll just make things worse not better.

Thanks for all the above guys, really appreciate the input. Despite still being a far cry from a 22/23 minute 5k, I am really happy that I've learned important lessons in the last two weeks. I'm looking forward to enjoying DCM now and I intend on having 4 more decent and positive weeks of training. Thereafter, it'll be time to focus and attack! Make realistic, but not easy or soft goals and work towards them.

Another thing - when I got the inhaler last week, the doc took a complete set of bloods. My haemoglobin levels are 8.1. Apparently 11+ is healthy and 7.5 or less requires one to have a blood transfusion...:eek: She reckons iron-deficiency anaemia but not diet related as I have a diet very high in iron. So I had more tests this morning including a coeliac test :( and will be interested to see what comes of that. Happy that there's some explanation as I was really struggling with feeling so bad - I know I'm young and healthy and there's no way I should have been so wrecked with every little exertion. Breathlessness is a big side effect too so that's another thing explained. Also goes some way towards understanding why my muscle recovery has been taking longer and longer! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Another thing - when I got the inhaler last week, the doc took a complete set of bloods. My haemoglobin levels are 8.1.
    Much lower than mine and I've barely run in weeks due to being so bloody tired all the time :eek:

Was talking to Digger this morning about this, check out point 3!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Digger not giving you enough meat is it? :p

There had to be something wrong alright, your results don't make sense otherwise.

Re: running... have gotten a few runs in since the 5k but they haven't been pretty. The legs havent recovered from that 7.25 mile at 10am on Sunday morning yet :rolleyes:... Nearly there though!

Sunday 25th September PM
    - 8miles @ 9.55
    Tried recovery pace the evening after the race and was just wrecked. Nearly keeled over a couple of times :(

Monday 26th September
    - Rest

Tuesday 27th September AM
    - 2.5 miles recovery
    Got up early to do a warm up jog around the block to warm up the body and have a good stretch. Foam rolled and stretched for a good hour after - was much needed! I don't know why I neglect this aspect of training when the necessity and benefits of it are so obvious and important!

Tuesday 27th September PM
    - 4.4 miles @ 9.09
    Just one to get out and get the heart working while waiting for dinner. Calves still sore from that bl0*dy mile on Sunday! :o

Wednesday 28th September
    - Pilates
    - 10 miles @ 9.50
    I know this is the type of ploddy run I'm going to aim to get away from but I wanted to get a bit of distance in for DCM confidence. It's 3 weeks now since my 21 miler and haven't run further than 13.1 miles in the meantime so was getting nervous about marathon distance again. Had to stop and stretch halfway. Body still wrecked! Hopefully that'll all start to improve now though.

That's my lot for the minute anyway! :)

Really want a good 20 miler at the weekend so will join the group one on saturday and sunday and hope I can do it...

Much lower than mine and I've barely run in weeks due to being so bloody tired all the time :eek:

I think I was just putting tiredness down to training and being stressed about all the other stuff I have going on. It's nice to know that this might be adding to it and that I can do something about it. Have you noticed any improvement?
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    Was talking to Digger this morning about this, check out point 3!!!

Yep... spot on towards explaining another contributing factor.

"The symptoms of iron deficiency include loss of endurance, chronic fatigue, high exercise heart rate, low power, frequent injury, recurring illness, and loss of interest in exercise and irritability." --> I'd be particularly agreeable to the high heart rate and low power; I suspect Digger would be particularly agreeable to the irritability..!:)
    Digger not giving you enough meat is it? :p

When I said I needed more meat in my daily intake, he sparked up the BBQ...:rolleyes:

Really want a good 20 miler at the weekend so will join the group one on saturday and sunday and hope I can do it...

Back to back 20's? :eek:

"The symptoms of iron deficiency include loss of endurance, chronic fatigue, high exercise heart rate, low power, frequent injury, recurring illness, and loss of interest in exercise and irritability." --> I'd be particularly agreeable to the high heart rate and low power; I suspect Digger would be particularly agreeable to the irritability..!:)

The following was more what I was thinking:

In endurance athletes, ‘foot strike’ damage to red blood cells in the feet due to running on hard surfaces with poor quality shoes leads to iron loss.

Just got a call from doc re this morning's tests - Haemoglobin down from 8.1 to 7.7 since last Wednesday. Under orders to start strong dose of iron right now. I'd say I need new runners. Off to base2race.. haha! ;)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    The following was more what I was thinking:

In endurance athletes, ‘foot strike’ damage to red blood cells in the feet due to running on hard surfaces with poor quality shoes leads to iron loss.

Yeah I know you did, I saw that. I don't have poor quality runners though... Sure I'll get a new pair anyway... any excuse huh?!

• Advertisement

Yeah I know you did, I saw that. I don't have poor quality runners though... Sure I'll get a new pair anyway... any excuse huh?!

Kevin is there today, tell him the crack and get something with a lot of padding.

Advertisement