Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

claralara wrote: »
    Just got a call from doc re this morning's tests - Haemoglobin down from 8.1 to 7.7 since last Wednesday. Under orders to start strong dose of iron right now. I'd say I need new runners. Off to base2race.. haha! ;)

:eek: my goodness what's going on with all the anaemia round here lately. That's shockingly low. I don't think mine was ever that low even after having babies! look after yourself Claralara and get some iron into you!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I think I was just putting tiredness down to training and being stressed about all the other stuff I have going on. It's nice to know that this might be adding to it and that I can do something about it. Have you noticed any improvement?
    I'm 9 days on iron supplements now, I haven't noticed too much of an improvement overall - I'm not feeling too bad today (if I get out of work at a respectable hour I may try an easy run), but Tuesday was absolutely awful (had to go home early from work and was lying on the couch by 7pm). Still getting very out of breath walking up the stairs in work though :eek: I'm at a loss as to what could have caused this, the most common causes are diet, hard training and heavy periods - I eat loads of red meat, I've barely got over 30mpw for more than a week at a time since Barca, and we won't go into the third except to say that it isn't the issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I don't even know where to begin with the recent comments on your log claralara so I'd just like to advise everyone that since you met me, I think you'll agree, I've done nothing but supply you with the finest grade, mature and well hung beef :D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    mature and well hung beef :D
    That's the problem, it's so old all the iron has leached out of it :pac:

That's the problem, it's so old all the iron has leached out of it :pac:

Jeez... You always drag it down:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Just catching up on the rollercoaster log of yours. Good at last to get to the root of the problems.
    Chin up for the remainder of the DCM training and some great advice on the thread...in other words I've nothing else wise and sageful to offer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I've done nothing but supply you with the finest grade, mature and well hung beef :D

Did you introduce her to some of your friends? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

enough with all that chat!

Iron supplements, vitamin c, less caffeine and dairy (inhibits absorption) and rest!
    I read that Haemoglobin usually increases within 2 to 3 weeks of starting iron supplementation.
    So be patient. You should be grand by the time DCM comes around.
    Good luck!

Emer911 wrote: »
    less caffeine
    Work... without a coffee to start my day? Does not compute. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

This log is so funny, one minute it's all normal running related and the next, it's rolling around in The gutter. Always entertaining!
    On a serious note, glad you have been given a reason for your tiredness. Mind yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

She means it. She posted it four times!

She means it. She posted it four times!

You can say that again, and again and again and again.....

jcsmum wrote: »
    This log is so funny, one minute it's all normal running related and the next, it's rolling around in The gutter. Always entertaining!
    On a serious note, glad you have been given a reason for your tiredness. Mind yourself.

Someone hit Control-Alt-Delete on Jcsmum, she's crashing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭RubyK

Jebas, you must be feeling awful the past while claralara. Marathon training is tough enough when you are 100% healthwise, so fair play to you for putting in all the miles ;)

Hoping you'll see a big improvment in your energy levels in no time.

RubyK wrote: »
    Hoping you'll see a big improvment in your energy levels in no time.

I don't think taking Digger's Centrum 50+ supplements have been working for her, time for more age appropriate assistance.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Just got a call from doc re this morning's tests - Haemoglobin down from 8.1 to 7.7 since last Wednesday. Under orders to start strong dose of iron right now. I'd say I need new runners. Off to base2race.. haha! ;)

Just make sure you dont take Galfer. Got diagnosed with low iron myself recently, doc put me on the Galfer tablets, horrendous. Very hard on the stomach(I'll spare you the gorey details, suffice it to say there was blood). Found another supplement online called "Hema-plex" which is way easier on the stomach and has a fairly high dosage of iron.

tunguska wrote: »
    Just make sure you dont take Galfer. Got diagnosed with low iron myself recently, doc put me on the Galfer tablets, horrendous. Very hard on the stomach(I'll spare you the gorey details, suffice it to say there was blood). Found another supplement online called "Hema-plex" which is way easier on the stomach and has a fairly high dosage of iron.

I've had no problems with Ferrograd C either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I've had no problems with Ferrograd C either :)

+1

Digger buys prune juice in bulk so she'll be well covered there!:)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I thought they juiced Digger to make prune juice :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Mr Slow wrote: »

I hear he's a regular runner...or has regular runs...something like that.

Oops, sorry, still getting used to my new phone.
    And yes I did mean it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I'm on Ferrograd C - double dose on an empty stomach with a glass of OJ every morning for 8 weeks and have to get bloods done again in 4 weeks. So hopefully it'll sort itself out nice and quickly now!

Friday 30th September
    5 miles @ 9.42
    Nice and rainy trot to break in another new pair of runners - Nike Air Pegasus 28 - they felt good, nice and light and bouncy. Hopefully they'll do the trick for DCM now.

Saturday 1st October
    20 miles @ 10.05
    Met up with spagbol, jaffac, paulbn and digdig for a swim LSR in the park. My gosh, it was miserable but the park was full of (ahem!) hardcore athletes...;) Was happy out with the lads until about 9 miles but then I started to fade. Took a gel and some water and knew we'd be looping by cars soon enough so spent the next 20 minutes thinking about what to do. Got back to the cars at 11 miles where spagbol bid us adieu as he had more important things to do and makes sensible decisions re injury and recovery (what a novel idea!!). At this stage I knew I couldn't bang out 9.30 minute miles which was the plan for the group run but I thought I could struggle around on my own and get in some more miles. The number 20 was really important to me this weekend as it was coming on 3 weeks since my 21 miler and hadn't done anything longer than 13 in the interim. I needed to get the distance to instil some sort of confidence of getting around Dublin. So I decided to break it down into a series of shorter distances to get over the mental block. Did the race series 5 mile loop and got back to the car park at 16 miles. Took another gel at that stage and went off around the pitches which I figured would get me to 18 at least. The others arrived back at the cars as I hit 19.2 miles so I powered through a final mile while they dried off and warmed up. It's the slowest 20 miler I've ever done but given everything over the last little while, I really don't care. Happy that I'll be able to trot around and enjoy Dublin in not an embarrassing time (but not a time that I'd be happy with if it were to be my last marathon!). I'll do it for the day out, the t-shirt and the craic in McGrattans and then hopefully I'll be back on track for a good marathon in the new year! :) Feel ok after it - as in no more tired and weak than I have been recently so it didn't take a whole load out of me thank god.

Delighted with the well-broken-in (!) new runners now too. Looking forward to training in them. If they ever dry out!!

Interesting to actually understand the feeling of the complete lack of oxygen in my blood - particularly going uphill and trying to speak. It is not healthy that I can't hold a conversationat 9.45 pace...not for long though! C'mon iron, infuse my haemoglobin!!

Sunday 2nd October
    3.5miles @ recovery pace
    Really slow trot this afternoon to stretch the legs. Don't feel great at all after it. Would love to blame the iron supplements but it's most likely a result of sipping vermouth cocktails all saturday night long...:confused::o

Tips me over 45 miles for the week though which is alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Friday 30th September
    5 miles @ 9.42
    Nice and rainy trot to break in another new pair of runners - Nike Air Pegasus 28 - they felt good, nice and light and bouncy.

Jesus, are you even wearing the same runners now? ;)

I used to wear pegasus, nice shoe, but really neutral. I used to get ankle problems when doing long distances as I would pronate a bit when tired so I switched to the lunarglides for a little support and that all disappeared. That said, I was probably heal striking back then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good 20 miler yesterday, that’s not at all slow for a lsr, well done

A 20 miler is a 20 miler. The mileage is definitely more important than the pace for the Lsr.
    Well done

Be careful not to let your determination to complete the 'programme' get in the way of your recovery, I know how single minded you can be when you set your mind on the prize ;):D

Well I'm a stranger round these parts these days... The last few weeks have been interesting. Had a very quiet week about 2 weeks ago for a number of reasons and only got 2 runs in (2 X 6 miles). Then I had a week in the sun and ran 36.4 miles in total, in an average of 29 degree heat with some hill work thrown in for good luck. That week went as follows:

Sunday 9th Oct
    - AM - 4.75 @ 9:34
    - PM - 2.43 @ 9:43

Monday 10th Oct
    - AM - 4.61 @ 9:48
    - PM - 2.44 @ 9:38

Tuesday 11th Oct
    - PM - 5 @ 10:00

Wednesday 12th Oct
    - AM - 2.23 @ 9:23
    - PM - 6 @ 9:35

Thursday 13th Oct
    - AM - 3 @ 9:41

Friday 14th Oct
    - PM - 6 @ 9:44

All of the above plus a tanker of Vino Sangre de Toro and plenty of good food made for a much needed break and a good rest.

The iron tablets and high dosage have been wreaking havoc on my stomach and the nausea, when it rears its ugly head, is horrendous. It turns me off my food and I struggle to even drink water. Let's just say that me lacking an appetite is very worrying… I love my food! Anyway, that aside, I think they must be doing the trick at some level. Got home late Saturday night having had a day off running and joined the group for 12.1 miles in the park on Sunday. It was the best run I've had in ages - felt good the whole way through, was able to hold bits of conversation and finished strong at an average pace of 9.11. I definitely could have done a few more miles but both the plan and real life said no, which was probably for the best. I'm just going to follow HH's Intermediate 2 for the 2 week taper and hope for the best now. If everything were to go well on the day for DCM (weather, nutrition and a healthy stomach) I could see myself running an enjoyable and comfortable 4.10-4.15. Not the originial plan but all things considered I'd be happy with it. A sub-4 marathon in the spring will be the real goal now for the healthier, less-broken me.
    Started a new job on Monday so running will have to take a bit of a back seat for a while after DCM, as it looks like it's going to be intense. The winter months will be a big test of willpower and determination to get up and out on the cold dark mornings and evenings.

This week so:
    Monday 17th Oct
    - Rest

Tuesday 18th Oct
    - 5.1 @ 8:59
    A really enjoyable run home from work. Felt strong and fresh. It's nice to be able to say that for a change. I was losing heart over the last couple of months. The wind and temperature of 6 degrees was a big change from the luxuries of the holiday training last week :( First time since the snow that I wore 2 layers and didn’t have to roll up my sleeves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Congrats and best of luck in the new job.

I've been really busy with work as well and it is not really appetising to get the evening runs in anymore, so like you I see myself running into/out of work a lot more over the winter months.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 19th Oct
    - Unplanned rest day as a family dinner was ready by the time I got home from work and the mother wouldn't let me out for a run. Not even a 2.5miler around the block. No matter how much I begged...:(

Thursday 20th Oct
    - 6 miles @ 8:52
    Ran into work this morning. Lovely morning for it despite being a bit creaky at the early hour! It's a nice route in to the new office so could become a regular method of commute for the winter.

Have to catch up on everyone's logs tonight and see how we're all getting on in the run up to the big day - my internet access has been servely curtailed recently and have to be on best behaviour work-wise now! :)

Advertisement