Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...and back to Connemara.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done littlebug thats some going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Lshr (long slow hilly run)
    Between one thing and another I hadn’t run since Tuesday so knew I was due a decent run and also thought it was time to up the distance a bit... sure why not add in a whopper of a hill with half of the running on rough rocky ground and loose stone to spice things up a bit:pac:.
    Up (80 m in first mile) , over and down was grand (3mile), the extra mile on road at the far end was grand.... took a short view break and back up the hill again (95m back up) nearly killed me:o. Uphill on loose stone... yikes not easy at all! A few (!) stops were had but gained some half decent pace on the last mile downhill (only to have to stop to tie my lace). Total 7 miles in 1.14, average pace 10.37 (completely misleading due to uphill stops:rolleyes:), average hr 173 (max 187).
    Longest run for months... completely knackered now and very sunburnt!

Inspired by RKs recent "how slow can you go" run I decided to do a true recovery run. McMillan says 11.44 to 12.15. Complete with my sons schoolbag on my back (carrying my camera) I "ran" down to a place where I was told there are otters...1.4 miles at 11.50 ish pace.
    Hung around for a while.. not an otter in sight :( so back to the house, walking the uphill bit to keep hr low... did enough hills yesterday.
    Pity about the otters but good to marry my two favourite forums (fora) in one outing :)

and yet another race :D

Well it would have been a pb as I hit 3.1 miles in 26.57 but according to my garmin I ran 3.19 miles :( Oh well... better long than short I suppose. Finish time 27:44 (ish).
    I was really happy with my running and pacing.. I held back at the start, making sure I saw nothing under 8:30. First mile was nicely flat/ downhill (8.37), mile 2 continued flat til about 1.7 where the inevitable back uphill came but I was happy to finish that mile in 8:45. The next half mile was all uphill... which concerned me because the third mile is where my wheels fell off last week but I maintained reasonable pace and never once considered walking:), even passed a few people, the top of the hill came just in time and another downhill section brought us back to the track, up the lane which was a bit energy sapping and on to the track for a lap.... I was delighted to see the third mile at 8.45 and thought I might be on for a pb... but.... :(
    I'll just have to do another 5k soon:pac:

Finish time aside I'm delighted with how I ran and it is great to see improvement (finally!). I've never paced a race that well.
    HR is a bit strange... peaks at 189 at half a mile in, and stays in 160s after that, even into 150s on an uphill (ties in with slowing down), not even climbing at the end:confused:. Either hrm wonky or I've gained serious fitness in the past week:pac:

Next up Headford 8k on Saturday if everything lines up right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good stuff lb, all this racing seems to be doing you good. Good luck in Headford

• Advertisement

DigiJem wrote: »
    Good stuff lb, all this racing seems to be doing you good. Good luck in Headford

It is doing me good I think:) I suppose I was plodding along with no speed work for a long time. Now, how can I get my 5k time down to low 26's:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Nice going LB, see you in Headford, hopefully it'll be a bit drier than last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on your race(s) LB. More time to come off that 5k for sure!

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Nice going LB, see you in Headford, hopefully it'll be a bit drier than last year!

I missed last year but by all accounts the rain was pretty spectacular! See you there :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    More time to come off that 5k for sure!

You know what.... after last night's run I can, for the first time, agree with that!

3 easy miles on the treadmill. Horrible day. Would've like a cycle too but it's harder to get out now with kids off school.

• Advertisement

For the third year in a row I missed the Headford 8k despite my best intentions :rolleyes: Timing miscalculations saw me arrive home at 6pm absolutely starving having not eaten since breakfast.... with the race starting at 7pm. So that wasn't going to work out so well so I decided one race a week is (more than) enough and let it go in favour of a long run this morning.

So to this morning... 8 miles, the first 3 really slow with the mutt including numerous pitstops (11.59/ 11.26/ 11.01), dropped the dog back home and picked up some water and headed off for the remaining 5 on my own. Good to find myself getting progressively faster as I went further and I couldn't help myself but speed up for the last one :) (10:41/ 10.37/ 10.36/ 10.07/ 9.36).
    A good run... enjoyed it.

HRM definitely wonky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

littlebug wrote: »
    For the third year in a row I missed the Headford 8k despite my best intentions :rolleyes: Timing miscalculations saw me arrive home at 6pm absolutely starving having not eaten since breakfast.... with the race starting at 7pm. So that wasn't going to work out so well so I decided one race a week is (more than) enough and let it go in favour of a long run this morning.

So to this morning... 8 miles, the first 3 really slow with the mutt including numerous pitstops (11.59/ 11.26/ 11.01), dropped the dog back home and picked up some water and headed off for the remaining 5 on my own. Good to find myself getting progressively faster as I went further and I couldn't help myself but speed up for the last one :) (10:41/ 10.37/ 10.36/ 10.07/ 9.36).
    A good run... enjoyed it.

HRM definitely wonky.

nice going there LB, good to see you finishing strong, a sign that your going in the right direction,

Joined a new fit4life group :)
    I dithered about starting this evening since I'd done a long run yesterday but am very glad now that I did. 3.5 miles, average pace 9.38. Small group (all women this evening) and a lovely positive atmosphere. I think this will do me good... might even get a bit faster :pac:

Joined a new fit4life group :)
    I dithered about starting this evening since I'd done a long run yesterday but am very glad now that I did. 3.5 miles, average pace 9.38. Small group (all women this evening) and a lovely positive atmosphere. I think this will do me good... might even get a bit faster :pac:

Excellent Im glad you enjoyed it. I've been thinking of joining a meet and train group in Nenagh but haven't got the nerve to go yet.

Bally8 wrote: »
    Excellent Im glad you enjoyed it. I've been thinking of joining a meet and train group in Nenagh but haven't got the nerve to go yet.

Just jump in B8:) You get to spend an hour running with like minded people while talking about running..... can't get much better!:D In my experience there's no time/ pace pressure in these groups. Tonight I ran my first few laps with a faster woman then dropped back and ran with another small group for the last few. I always say I can't talk while running... I think I gabbled more than anyone tonight :o
    Give it a try!

You know, I will! They meet Tuesdays and Thursdays, I cant do tomorrow night as the hubby is working but will go on Thursday. I've procrastinated about this for about 2 years now:eek: but I'm going to bite the bullet and go Thursday!

Just wanted to say thanks littlebug. Because of your encouragement I managed to go to the running group this evening. Decided not to put it off any longer and got my mother in law in to look after my daughter and headed off. I love, love, loved it!:D

Club night.
    Laps of 1 mile. Thought I was in trouble when the first mile was done in 8.33 :eek: After stretches etc he next two were a slightly more sensible 9.14 and 9.05, with a slower 9.38 warmdown lap.

total 4 miles, average pace 9.06

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Club night.
    Laps of 1 mile. Thought I was in trouble when the first mile was done in 8.33 :eek: After stretches etc he next two were a slightly more sensible 9.14 and 9.05, with a slower 9.38 warmdown lap.

total 4 miles, average pace 9.06

Nice running there.

I just couldn't face the rain and wind this morning :o
    So... 9 miles on the treadmill :eek: first 3 at a very slow 11.20, last 3 at 10:00 and the middle 3 in between so average 10.40ish.
    It was actually grand.
    Might be in the North East next weekend.... there's a 10 mile race on in Monaghan which I might do.

• Advertisement

The beauty of being in a running group.. I had committed to being the driver this evening, on an evening when I otherwise probably would never have gone out running on my own. Knee been a bit niggly since Sundays run (only up and down stairs) so I was a wee bit wary. No worries, no pain, niggles at all. Kept the pace sensible with 3 miles @ 9.26/9.22/9.28 with slow warmdown half mile lap (untimed).
    No decisions made about the weekend yet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

So... 9 miles on the treadmill :eek:

:eek: fair play, I can barely stand about 3 miles on a treadmill!

hollypink wrote: »
    :eek: fair play, I can barely stand about 3 miles on a treadmill!

:D there have been days when I've abandoned the treadmill after half mile:o but it seemed to work ok... I had plenty of company in and out of the room changing the music for me and generally keeping me amused. I also stopped for a min at 3 and 6 for water so it was easier to do 3/3/3 than 9 :D

3 miles
    9. 53 warmup, faster middle mile 8.50 and slower third mile 9.11, average 9.18.
    I'll begone for a few days now. When I get back I may or may not have a race report :pac:

10 mile pb at the Monaghan 10 miler. 1.38:01 on my garmin.:) I had been hoping for closer to (or at 1:35) and maintained that pace til 7 mile (I think) water stop (cups) and never got back into it properly after that. Still... given the heat and sun I'm happy with that and happy that a few more weeks of keeping the mileage up my stamina should improve. No time just now for a more detailed report than that! Unusually short race report from me :confused::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Congrats on the PB! That's always a good race result :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Great going littlebug, this could turn out to be one of the greatest comebacks of all time!

ronanmac wrote: »
    this could turn out to be one of the greatest comebacks of all time!

Oh yes there'll be records broken yet :pac:

This evening... back home again so took the dog for a recovery run to Knockma. Big hill doesn't generally equal recovery so walked the steep uphill bits and ran/ jogged the flat/ downhill bits. A lovely "run" in slight drizzle..legs felt good... couldn't help but wonder how I could have done yesterday if hadn't been so bloomin' hot :rolleyes:

2.4 miles in 27.25, average pace 11.43.

A very lazy busy week with NO:eek: running from Monday- sunday :o.

On me holidays now so I'll just to try to keep tipping along for the week without any real plan. Yesterday... slow run down to the beach with the dog, plus some general madness on the beach and a slow trot home again= probably about 3 miles in total.
    Today... 4 miles, to the beach and beyond and back again. (10.16/ 9.52/9.20/ 9.53).

• Advertisement

Managed to get a sea swim/ float/ snorkel on Monday. First time wearing my wetsuit which I bought last summer :o Amazing the difference it makes. No way would I have gone in that icy water without it. I'm such a bad/ nervous swimmer though :(
    Yesterday... no running but lots and lots of walking.
    Today... hard to get out without kids and/ or dog so with the latter I headed for the hill planning 1.5m out and back. After the first quarter mile (or so) there's 80 climb to the 1mile point so it was head down, ignore the quads and keep moving... garmin beeped 1 mile at 11.56. On to the bumpy plateau at the top but it was shorter than I thought and I couldn't face running down the other side a bit and having to climb again so I ran back and forward a bit (unhappily :() until I was back at the 1 mile (from home) point having run 1.6m. Then I stood there for a bit wondering what to do next and wondering why I felt so crAp. I started back down the hill.... most of it at 8.07 pace with a bit of climb at the end (and having to haul the dog away from someones hens :mad:) slowing me down to 8.17. Back to the house and up the lane past (slowly) to get the extra .4.... instead of keeping on the lane for some reason I went out on the rocky bit at the shore :confused: not easy to run on!

I'm not even going to pretend to have enjoyed that run!
    However I've looked back on previous runs on that road/ hill and I did the climb 40 s faster than any previous... maybe explains why I felt so bad after :o Anyway... a bad run... put behind me. Must get out for a long one someday soon.

Advertisement