Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...and back to Connemara.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

littlebug wrote: »
    * Catweazle.... if you're reading, by any chance was that you? If so, I was that short chubby bespectacled, 40 something sweaty mess of a woman you met on the lane down from the carpark. If it wasn't you... probably just as well given that lovely image of myself I've just painted :o

Good job I was friendly and said hello, I was wondering after I went by you was that all that woman was doing, what was the point of coming here and not doing the hills. :confused:

Havent done Knockma in ages but I had to go to Tuam and decided I woukd run there instead of the local route.

I can assure you I was a sweaty mess of a man 40 minutes later, did you see that bullet of a guy in white running around it, he nearly lapped me :eek:

Where was the dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

catweazle wrote: »
    Good job I was friendly and said hello, I was wondering after I went by you was that all that woman was doing, what was the point of coming here and not doing the hills. :confused:

Havent done Knockma in ages but I had to go to Tuam and decided I would run there instead of the local route.

I can assure you I was a sweaty mess of a man 40 minutes later, did you see that bullet of a guy in white running around it, he nearly lapped me :eek:

Where was the dog?

It was you :D Next time I might even smile :o I was kinda knackered at that point though I think I did mutter a hello. I didn't see any man in white :confused: He must have been gone up the other way when I was coming down.

40 minutes.. 2 loops or 3?
    Left the dog at home... she slows me down :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

40 minutes.. 2 loops or 3?

Not sure what the time was but it certainly wasn't 3 times in 40 minutes :eek:
    I will stop and chat the next time - hoping to get back into doing it maybe once a week over the summer

Saturday... 3m

Have had some neck joint inflammation problems since then so been minding myself. 3 easy (very easy) miles this evening. Being treated so will hopefully be back to business as usual by the weekend.

You real runners can keep yer runs in the rain. It was about as bad as it gets here today so I did a meh run on the treadmill instead. Nearly stopped before 2 miles, forced myself to do 3. Heavy duty painkillers through the week probably haven't helped the old energy levels. Thankfully I'm almost back to normal and can nearly look over my shoulder again :D

• Advertisement

You real runners can keep yer runs in the rain. :D

Although ... :D Mile 2 of 3 this morning was in high winds and lashing rain and I quite enjoyed it :) Miles 1 and 3 were dry but windy. No garmin. I enjoy the untimed runs so much more....

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No garmin. I enjoy the untimed runs so much more....
    Maybe run without your Garmin for a little while then? You're probably more relaxed without the constant feedback.

Maybe run without your Garmin for a little while then? You're probably more relaxed without the constant feedback.

I've been doing that a bit more lately... much happier without the pressure:)

Monday.
    When I walk the dog I go in a different direction to when I run. For the past week or so we've been getting a little bit down the road and she's stopped, refusing to go any further :confused: I thought maybe there was something wrong with her so today I decided to take her for a walk on our usual running route to see if there was any difference. Walk... yeah right.. as soon as we turned that corner my arm was nearly taken out of its socket as she wanted to run! I relented for a couple of mins but gave in eventually. Good job I'd worn my runners :D
    3 miles with all the usual doggie pitstops :D Nothing wrong with the dog other than being bored walking on footpaths.

Treadmill intervals.
    1 mile slow warm up.
    5 x 3mins @7.4mph with 2 mins recovery in between @ 5.5mph plus and extra half mile to bring me to 4 miles total.
    Enjoyed it :)

3.1 miles. No watch.
    Bumped into an old running buddy who was on her second run for months following an op. Loose arrangement to run together sometime soon... I'll run with her til she gets faster than me again :D:D. It would be nice to occasionally have company tho'.

• Advertisement

+ 6 easy enjoyable miles on the bike though the last mile home into the wind felt tough.

Felt like a change of scenery so headed for Annaghdown to reaquaint myself with the lie of the 10k land. I've been keeping runs to 3/4 miles lately so it's time to up the mileage a bit. The aim was to keep HR low (overall average 170ish- though I knew that would be easier for the first 3) and to not look at pace at all.
    First couple of miles were grand/ hr low, started creeping up a bit in the 3rd and even more in the 4th (as expected) and I pushed it a bit at the end so hr naturally reacted. Second half is also definitely "bumpier" which will always affect my hr though overall pace stayed the same(ish).
    Pace surprised me when I looked at the end. Thought I'd be slower :o Average pace 10.35, hr 172.
    Splits 10.33 (158)/10.34 (167)/10.47(170)/10.45(176)/ 10.30(178)/10.21 (182)

I'm still making it up as I go along. The plan this morning was to cover 4 miles and to have some faster stuff in there somewhere... the details would emerge as I went along.
    Mile 1 warmup 10.04 (hr158). Mile 2 (gentle uphill drag) was done in 8.58 (hr 176)and I felt it :o so I stopped while I figured out what to do next. The next bit is a nice downhill so I just went with what felt right so the next half mile was covered at 8.16 pace at which point I was happy to have to stop to stand in to let a car past (yes the road is that narrow). The next flat half mile saw me finish the mile in 8.30 (hr 174)(not counting the break). I didn't bother timing the mile trot home as I kept stopping to look at stuff :o

I might do the Cong 8k on Sunday. I don't think I'm in pb territory esp given that some of it is on forest trail where I'm always slower anyway. I'll go with the aim of getting a couple of 9 min miles in there somewhere and consider it a training run for the Annaghdown 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

I might do the Cong 8k on Sunday. I don't think I'm in pb territory esp given that some of it is on forest trail where I'm always slower anyway. I'll go with the aim of getting a couple of 9 min miles in there somewhere and consider it a training run for the Annaghdown 10k.

I think a good chunk of it might be on road, and I would imagine it would be fairly flat, so you could put down a motivation-invigorating time on the day! Would love to do it myself, but (1) I've a tri on Saturday, and (2) I'm working :(

Cong 8k

My new favourite race :)
    Starting at 11am I thought this was a perfect time for a race, particularly since it's only a few miles from me. I'd be home by lunchtime! Parking and registration were easy and painless and everyone got a nice red tech t-shirt which I wasn't expecting. At a guess I'd say there were maybe 200-ish people lined up.
    The race started on a minor road with short uphill....... followed by a long and lovely downhill section:) so yet again my first mile was my fastest at 9.03 :rolleyes: I'll never learn! At some point in the first mile we turned off the main road into the grounds of Ashford Castle and until the last 500m the rest of the race was on forest trail or sealed surface through the estate grounds. Mile 2 was undulating I suppose but still felt relatively easy (9.36), and while mile 3 was flatter it was starting to feel harder (9.43). I had passed the 4k mark at about 23.20. At the water station at 5k I took a bottle but found it fiddly and made the mistake of walking to drink.... once I stop once :rolleyes: Miles 4 and 5 saw the reverse of that lovely downhill at the start... with the bulk of the uphill in mile 5...so I'm afraid I walked bits :o (quite happily.. don't get me wrong :D) so the last 2 miles were 9.57 and 9.46 to finish in 48.05.
    It wasn't a target race and I knew I was nowhere near pb territory so I'm relatively happy with that. I really need to stop stopping though.. 1 minute 25 second lost in the second half:rolleyes:.
    My own run aside the route is just fantastic, making a very pleasant change from road running. There was no shortage of marshalls and cordoned off trails which on a forest course with lots of twists and turns was very neccessary. Back at base there was tea, coffee, carrot cake, apple pie, cookies, buns and lots of fruit. Brilliant.
    The course measured a tiny bit short on my garmin but the trace also has me in the lake at one point :pac: so I'll assume that the forest cover has probably had some effect. It matters little to me but if it is short I'm sure that'll be sorted for next year. Definitely a race I'd recommend and I will be back next year.

Stats... 7.92 k (maybe..)
    elevation gain 71m
    time 48.05
    Ave hr 184

Fair play, littlebug. That sounds like an absolutely lovely race!

Intended doing a 7m cycle today. After 1 mile legs just said " no... please... give us a break:(" so I turned and came home. I'd forgotten how tired I can get after sustained high heart rates like yesterdays.
    Shins are a bit achy today. I went back to my old log to see exactly when I got these runners.... about 10 months ago so I've probably 600-700 miles on them now. That's not counting walking miles. Shoe shopping tomorrow :) Time for a change I think. I got those Mizunos online but I never felt the same love for them as I did the previous pair. Orthotics must be getting a bit worn now too... a year on.
    Looking at my old log I also see how much I was running last year:eek: No wonder there was a bit less of me...... :o

Nice easy 3 miles with the dog and 2 new pieces of kit.

1. My shiny new Brooks glycerin 8's. Oooohh cushiony! So all those stones and sticks and cracks in the road that I was feeling really did mean that I needed new shoes. Loving these so far.

2. Non pull harness for the mutt.... the penny finally dropped that the right shoulder/ neck issues I've been having may just have something to do with my right arm being pulled out of its socket for 1+ hours every day :rolleyes: The current combination isn't bad actually..though I did get a :rolleyes::rolleyes: from my husband for spending more money on the mutt. Actually a better and quicker way to cure my neck would be for him to do some of the walks/runs:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done littlebug, sounds like a nice race

4m easy, very easy, keeping hr down. Average pace 10.26, hr 169.
    Might do the Monivea 5k on Sunday for the craic :pac:

• Advertisement

3 lovely relaxed miles on the bike. This was unintended and I only went out because the dog had done a huge poo on someones driveway when we were walking earlier and I couldn't in good conscience leave it there :o Must have looked strange though... woman hopping off bike to bag some dog poo:p

Going on to finish the loop I came upon an old man and his sheep, he had half a mile to drive them so I just cycled alongside, had a nice chat and helped him herd them in to their field when they got there :). All in all a nice short sunny pressure free cycle :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Sounds lovely littlebug.

Are you starting to think about a longer race at all?

(as in 26.2 miles:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Might do the Monivea 5k on Sunday for the craic :pac:

Might see you there. Its supposed to be a lovely route.

Bally8 wrote: »

Are you starting to think about a longer race at all?

(as in 26.2 miles:D)

At the minute no*... I'm kind of enjoying just plodding along. I am aware though that the more I plod along and the less pressure I put on myself then the slower I get :( The Longford half in August may be a possibility and setting that as a target might give me the kick up the behind I need :o Care to join me? :D
    * that said.... in a moment of madness I did enter the ballot for London 2012... couldn't not do that if I got in:p
    BrokenMan wrote: »
    Might see you there. Its supposed to be a lovely route.

I believe so :) the weather might not be so lovely though! If I go I'll probably wear the bright red Cong 8k t shirt so say hello if you see me! By the end of the race face will be the same colour as the t shirt :D

Monivea 5k (28:00:))

I arrived in to a very wet Monivea in nice time, before I got to the hall to register my feet were already wet! Sat in the warm car for a while before braving the elements for a quick warmup around the green. Everyone was huddled into the hall before being called out for the start. Off we went... the first mile was great....mostly downhill. I felt great and finished that mile in 8.26 (my fastest road mile since an 8.21 in Tuam last year). The second mile started well and though it was a bit bumpier I was still keeping the pace well under 9 min ...everytime I glance at the watch I was at about 8.30-8.40. Somewhere between 1.5-2 miles we turned off the road on in to the woods and the surface changed. I felt my foot slip a few times so I was instantly slower and finished out mile 2 in 8.57. Mile 3 continued slower... I was getting tired as well as dealing with the slippy , stony surface. Glad to say that after the initial finding your place/ pace in the first half mile I don't think I was passed at all and I passed 2 people who had slowed to walk/ run in the 3rd mile. At 2.5 the voices were telling me to stop/ walk but I didn't listen:) . Much of the third mile was back uphill though it actually didn't feel like I was going up as much as we had come down! Hill/ surface and tiredness meant the 3rd mile was a much slower 9.38. The finish line couldn't come quick enough at that point, a flat finish and I crossed the line at 8.15 pace with hr 196 :eek: stopping my watch at 28:00 exactly.
    Time 28
    Average pace 9:01
    AVerage hr 187.

Refreshments in the hall... realised when I went to pick up my tea that my hands were completely numb !
    On leaving Monivea I stupidly decided to take the scenic route home... after scratching my head at a few junctions and taking the road that felt right I found myself back in Monivea 20 minutes later :o

Overall , I'm happy with the run... 45 seconds faster than the Newcastle 5k and firmly back where I was last summer. I may have been faster had it all been on road... but there again not many races would have had that much down hill in the first 2 miles.... so I'll take it as it is :)

Great stuff, littlebug, looks like you're back in business! Good to defeat those mental niggles as well, I hate those race voices in my head!

I don't know what it is about those roads in east Galway. I work at an office in Caherlistrane on occassion, and it's usually late when I leave. I never end up in the same place when I leave there. I've landed in Tuam once, landed in Headford, landed back in Caherlistrane another time. My navigational skills seem to have been blunted over the years by knowing that the sea is on your left as you go west, and on your right as you go east :o

ronanmac wrote: »
    My navigational skills seem to have been blunted over the years by knowing that the sea is on your left as you go west, and on your right as you go east :o

:D sure what more would you need to know !

Today.
    stationary bike = better than nothing at all. Kept it easy on mid-tension.... 10k in 24 mins apparently.
    wonder when I get my new bike....:rolleyes

I forgot to add... I hit halfway in 13.13 yesterday. There's no reason I wouldn't be able to do a 5k in under 27 mins if I put my mind to it and work on it properly.

wonder when I get my new bike....:rolleyes

Picking it up this afternoon :D:D

It's a run day... but I have a new bike. There wouldn't be time for both this evening so I did 3 easy miles on the TM planning to take the bike out for her maiden voyage when my husband got home. By the time he did it was lashing rain and strong winds.. not exactly good weather for a trial run (cycle) :( so it'll have to wait.
    Toe clips will be interesting.....

• Advertisement

wow what a difference a good bike makes :eek:

7 miles in 29.29, that's average 14.2mph/ 22.9kmph.

Hills that I struggled with on the old bike barely registered!
    I just went to the end of my road and back, stayed off the main road and away from junctions in case of any issues with toe clips... I'm also a bit higher on this bike so stopping might be a wee bit more wobbly:o
    Wind against me on the way out, behind me on the way back
    Mile splits 5:01/ 4.42/ 4.16/ 4.28/ 3.53/3.31/ 3.37
    I have no idea if that's good, bad or indifferent but considering I was averaging between 8-10mph on the old bike I think I can safely say that's an improvement:D.

Advertisement