Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...and back to Connemara.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

3.1 miles with the dog. Pushed the pace a bit....average moving pace 9.18 BUT that's deceptive as there were a few (canine) pitstops and a couple of chat stops :pac: . Happy to have maintained 9.30 pace up the hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Enjoy keeping up with your log, and I also run with the dog sometimes. Only problem now is everytime he sees my runners come out he wants to come to. Good way to escape themadness of the kids home for 2 weeks tho for me..dog has to be walked/ran!!

Good luck with training for the run in a couple of weeks!

Well with one child having just recovered from chickenpox now the other one and my husband :eek: both have it so this morning I left them in their sick beds and went for a run :pac: my time is at a premium so I have no choice but to double up dog walk + run even though she's a bit of a nuisance and doesn't make it easy.
    so 3 miles... moving pace 9.44. Felt the lack of breakfast.

oh No! You will definatly need a run with all that going on...all in for the sake of yours and the families health (and safety) of course!:D
    Fab morning for it.

Friday 3 slow miles, didn't time it.
    This evening 6 miles, average pace 10.19 with a short water break at 4m. It was hot out there !

• Advertisement

Busy week with not much time for runs. A couple of slow 3 milers is all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

littlebug wrote: »
    Busy week with not much time for runs. A couple of slow 3 milers is all :(

come on now LB, your better than that. You can always sqeeze in a run ;)

Speedy44 wrote: »
    come on now LB, your better than that. You can always sqeeze in a run ;)

2 back at school and one back at work next week after what feels like weeks of minding sick people.... I may not stop running once I get started again :D

2 back at school and one back at work next week after what feels like weeks of minding sick people.... I may not stop running once I get started again :D

not sure what age yours are at, but I managed to get my girls on their bikes this week so that I could get a run in :rolleyes:

Speedy44 wrote: »
    not sure what age yours are at, but I managed to get my girls on their bikes this week so that I could get a run in :rolleyes:

I've done that with the eldest (nearly 9). It's great fun "come on Mammy, hurry up.. run faster! ":rolleyes: They're only just better from Chickenpox so it may have been a bit much this week ;) Husband has it too thus me being extra busy. Back to normal next week hopefully .... just a small matter of 10k race on Sunday first :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I've done that with the eldest (nearly 9). It's great fun "come on Mammy, hurry up.. run faster! ":rolleyes: They're only just better from Chickenpox so it may have been a bit much this week ;) Husband has it too thus me being extra busy. Back to normal next week hopefully .... just a small matter of 10k race on Sunday first :rolleyes:

My 2 are 8 & 10, just about the right age to get them into out there ;)
    I 'almost' felt bad when my youngest kept saying "daddy, I can't keep going" and I'm like "of course you can" :D

Are you running the Galway 5k series?
    Tuesday will be my first race back after the marathon, not sure if I'm ready for that short stuff yet, I might do a few 400 reps tomorrow to see how I feel.

My youngest is 6 and still a bit awkward on the bike but the eldest loves coming out with me. I suspect yours have to move a bit faster than mine do :D
    I'm not doing the 5 series this year... I'm only just slowly getting back in to things now. Mayo have a fit4life 5k series in June which I might do one or more of.
    . I was just thinking about your solstice run today... it's not on the runireland calendar yet. Is it on this year? I'm trying to plan ahead to keep myself motivated.

My youngest is 6 and still a bit awkward on the bike but the eldest loves coming out with me. I suspect yours have to move a bit faster than mine do :D
    I'm not doing the 5 series this year... I'm only just slowly getting back in to things now. Mayo have a fit4life 5k series in June which I might do one or more of.
    . I was just thinking about your solstice run today... it's not on the runireland calendar yet. Is it on this year? I'm trying to plan ahead to keep myself motivated.

yea, it'll be on alright.
    Been dragging my feet with it, between work & the kids holidays.
    I meant to get the paperwork into the County Board a couple of weeks ago, but it was due the day after the marathon so I wasn't exactly feeling very motivated :rolleyes:
    You should see it up there in the next week or so

You? Dragging your feet? :p:D
    I'll keep my eye out for it as it's on my to do list for this summer. I love that route. I havent been over there for ages.

You? Dragging your feet? :p:D
    I'll keep my eye out for it as it's on my to do list for this summer. I love that route. I havent been over there for ages.

just ran it this evening. Which reminds me, I have to get it remeasured, its been 5yrs now, how time flies when your on the run :D

Castlebar women's mini marathon.10k.
    The slogan for this race was "just run for fun" so I went along with the aim of doing just that :) Given that I'm nowhere near the paces I was at this time last year as well as todays heat and hills I wasn't expecting greatness... or even okness :rolleyes: The plan was simply to run 10k a little bit faster than I would in training which, with the sun blazing down and a midday start, wasn't actually going to be that easy.
    The mall in Castlebar was abuzz when I got there. With little time to spare I just got to sort out chip, number etc and off to the start line with no warm up. Of course when the race started I got a bit carried away with myself and despite one of the biggest climbs of the race (there were a few) being in the first mile I got through the first mile in 9.14, slowed in the second one to 9.34, and at some point in the 3rd mile I thought "Oops:o I can't keep this up" and pulled back and decided to aim to keep average mile pace under 10 min. At halfway I was pretty sure I wouldn't make sub 60 so after that it was a case of slowing down when I needed to and speeding up when I could and enjoy it. I heard my first cuckoo of the year at just past the halfway mark which put a smile on my face :).
    I just plodded along to the end and was surprised to see I hadn't hit the hour mark coming up to the finish but alas crossing the line I was at 1:00:00 on my watch. Chiptime may change that for better or for worse but I'm not bothered either way... I had fun :)
    I know people like to knock these mini marathons but you know Castlebar (or mayo sports partnership) really do a good job here. From registration to finish line (and beyond) the organisation and support is fantastic. Entertainment on the mall (and around the course), lots of fruit and water at the finish... top notch really. Lots of money is raised by participants for charity and very importantly any profits go back into grass roots sports initiatives like fit4life etc. I can't fault the race at all (except maybe the hills:D).

Anyway...:D now that's done, what'll I do next? Speedy44's Solstice Run is next on my list. With 7 weeks to go I can put a good effort in to try get a decent 10k time on a much flatter course. There are a few other 5k races in June to pick and choose from.
    I also fancy doing something a bit different after that.....:cool:

As part/ start of my new regime I got on the bike on very tired legs and did a leisurely 3.2 miles (6.20/5.58/7.52:o and a bit). Uphill into strong gusts of wind for the last mile turned leisurely to a crawl :rolleyes:
    Gosh but it's a whole other set of muscles you use on the bike!

Any tips on starting bike training welcome. I haven't a clue:o

Did I mention I have a really bad bike? I have a really really bad bike. Changing gears is a challenge in itself. One side/ set I don't even bother with :rolleyes:. If I can actually commit to keeping up the cycling this time I'll consider a new bike at some point if the right bargain comes along....

Treadmill intervals.
    1 mile warmup, 3 mins @ 7.4mph (8.06 pace) + 2 min recovery @ 5.5 (11 min) x5 plus warm down to take me to 4 miles. Total 4 miles in 38 mins.

I've been thinking about bikes :cool: A mini brainwave and a quick phone call tells me I can get one on the bike to work scheme. I couldn't resist but go to Marreys for a peek at what's on offer. I had a quick spin around the car park on a LaPierre Shaper 100. Nice ;) Now I just have to convince my husband that I'd be saving money, not spending it :pac:

taking easy runs to the extreme... 3 miles with the dog @ 11.04 or 10: 39 (moving pace) the discrepancy being due to either stoppages for various canine bodily functions or scraping other dogs off her :mad: HRM acting up with mad spikes up to 219 in the first few minutes but otherwise HR stayed in the 150s/ 160s and just up into the 170s in the last half mile uphill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I wish I could bring my dog out running too but he has some weird reaction to running. I've tried it a few times and its fine once he is looking straight ahead but if he catches sight of me or the lead out of the corner of his eye he goes mental trying to bite me and knock me over!!

• Advertisement

My dog seems to enjoy it but I don't particularly :( The daft mutt can't run in a straight line and just veers in front of me very suddenly so half my time is taken up trying not to trip over her... then there's her trying to jump over walls and hedges to get at donkeys, cats, hens :rolleyes: not to mention having to fend off the horrible dogs that try to attack us :mad:
    I nearly enjoy it but it adds more work to the whole thing. There again it kind of distracts me from watching pace etc.

Bike.
    2.3 miles, pedal fell off :mad: walked 1.7 miles home.

Average speed 10.6mph, hr 157

[HTML][/HTML]
    My dog seems to enjoy it but I don't particularly :( The daft mutt can't run in a straight line and just veers in front of me very suddenly so half my time is taken up trying not to trip over her... then there's her trying to jump over walls and hedges to get at donkeys, cats, hens :rolleyes: not to mention having to fend off the horrible dogs that try to attack us :mad:
    I nearly enjoy it but it adds more work to the whole thing. There again it kind of distracts me from watching pace etc.

My dog loves to go running, but really only at the beach when I can let him off to run free. He has a dislike of men and insists on running up and barking at them and frightening the life out of them! :mad: I sometimesrun with him on the lead but feel your pain with the pit stops and he also criss crosses across me!

Worst bit for me tho is he has decided he cant get back into the car and has to be 'encouraged' before he will jump in (takes about 5-10 mins). But he has no problem jumping in to go to the beach!!

Btw...believe you now about the bike being really old.....:D. Can imagine your look of shock when you no longer have pedal!! Few guys in work got bike on the scheme and it worked out really quite cheap for them. I have a fear of bikes (well of cycling/falling) so not an option for me at the moment. Best of luck with it.

After the cycling disaster this morning I felt the need to put some more effort in so took the dog off to knockma this evening. Ran all bar the absolute steepest bits. I had the dog on a bungee lead for the first time which worked really well and we managed the downhill without any near death experiences :D
    No garmin, no timing but it was the most enjoyable run I've had for ages.... I'd forgotten about runs like that.... :)

maria74 wrote: »

Btw...believe you now about the bike being really old.....:D. Can imagine your look of shock when you no longer have pedal!! .

:D and I got myself back on the bike on the more downhill bits and got moving with a peculiar one legged pedal motion which got me a few strange looks from passers by :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

I had the dog on a bungee lead for the first time which worked really well

Did she not object to bouncing up and down all the time? :p

I run all the time now with the pooch. Its in a 17 acre field and the only time I stick him on a lead is if there are kids around. He wouldn't do any harm but he is still very much at the puppy stage so becomes "boisterous" if he gets too much attention (like all us fellas, really) :D

He still manages to get under my feet on occasion, though.:rolleyes:

Keep on trucking (or running or cycling, as you see fit):cool:

up and out early this morning. 3.1 miles, average (moving) pace 9.39, hr 166.

Monday- rest
    Tuesday- 4 miles bike. With the pedal back in it's place I went out again hoping that no more bits would fall off. For peace of mind at the minute I won't go any further than 2 miles from home :o so there might be a few loops involved when I start getting the mileage up.
    Miles 1 and 2 were grand, felt easier than the last day @ 10.7 and 12.5mph. I knew why when I turned to come home and faced the wind :eek: The 2 miles home were shockingly slow .
    It's all just base building for a couple of weeks to get the old legs used to cycling again but I really wish my gears worked properly.

I'm on a roll today :)

Treadmill... 1 mile warm up @11 mins, then I started off what was intended to be intervals at 7.4mph. At my planned recovery time (3 mins) I felt good so kept going.... at half a mile I upped it a notch to 7.5. At 1 mile (8.09 mins) I was tiring but ok so kept going for another half mile, then brought it down to 6mph for the last half mile.
    Total 3 miles in 28.09.

• Advertisement

I was a bit :mad: today so I decided to take it out on Knockma.
    Started off nice and slow on the first lane, not to wreck myself before I even got to the hill. The first bit of the climb is pretty steep and I usually end up stopping before the trail branches off. Not today... it was head down and keep moving. I surprised myself by being able to keep moving and though I wondered at times would I be faster walking I kept going. At .75 miles I hit the next really steep bit and started to really struggle. Dammit I stopped :(.... for a total of 46 seconds and gave myself a good stern talking to, caught my breath , turned the garmin back on and I moved on, keeping running very slowly, hitting mile 1 in 13.23. The climb continues for another bit before even-ing out and into that blessed downhill :) The second mostly downhill was run in 9.06 (not that fast for downhill but it was a bit slippy in places so I had to be careful- ish:D). The last .4 back to the car park was done a 8.41 pace.

Not counting my 46 seconds stoppage time that's a total of 25.59 mins... over 4 minutes faster than any previous effort I think :) and most importantly, despite my little stop I ran every step of it. Next time there won't be a stop :)

Legs were a bit jellyish after so I gave myself a few minutes to breath again and went back and did .6 miles on the lane @ 10.40 pace to bring it up to 3 miles. Met a man* at this point starting off on his run.

Total Hill run
    2.4 miles in 25.59,
    average pace 10.44,
    Elevation 124 metres :eek:
    Average HR 174
    Max HR 191:eek:

* Catweazle.... if you're reading, by any chance was that you? If so, I was that short chubby bespectacled, 40 something sweaty mess of a woman you met on the lane down from the carpark. If it wasn't you... probably just as well given that lovely image of myself I've just painted :o

Advertisement