Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's Talk About Weight In Partners.

Options
  • 30-12-2010 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

The question being, "Would you date someone who was noticably heavier/fatter than you?"

I myself am a 6ft man about about 14 and a half stone so I wouldn't say im light or even slim at all..

I don't think i'd date someone fatter then me as I simply don't think i'd be attracted to them. Tbh, I find it hard to imagine that any women finds me attractive so it goes both ways !

So, anyone got any 2c to lump in? This is really the women's opinion thread.

All credit for this thread goes to Galvasean as he created the same thread in TGC.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Wow my off the cuff remark that you would never see a thread like this in TGC is spawning offspring!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Skinny men don't do it for me so someone with a bit of meat whether it's muscular or adipose tissue is alright by me. I don't find obesity attractive like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 artzy_man

Wow my off the cuff remark that you would never see a thread like this in TGC is spawning offspring!

Is that a joke ? New to both forums so don't know if that happens a lot :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Skinny men don't do it for me so someone with a bit of meat whether it's muscular or adipose tissue is alright by me. I don't find obesity attractive like...

How do you define "skinny" Many people call people skinny when in fact they are at a normal healthy weight.It's just that more and more people are overweight or obese.So normal isn't normal anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

artzy_man wrote: »
    Is that a joke ? New to both forums so don't know if that happens a lot :confused:

No I was just referring to when I said this in the thread about short guys in TGC.
    But I'm not sure there will ever be a thread here asking men if they would ever date a woman who weighs more than they do

And then Galvasean said this. Seems I unwittingly started a chain reaction today!
    Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm off to make a cup of tea, then start that thread.

Knockin' down boundaries :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

The last guy I dated was 18/19 stone in weight and just shy of 6 foot. I'm 15 stone and 5'6....so yeah I would. Despite his weight, he had the best smile and the most gorgeous eyes ever.
    However most guys wouldn't touch me with a barge pole cos I'm not "skinny" - and none of them have been anything but blunt in relaying that message too.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I prefer someone who is in proportion - that's not necessarily too thin or particularly big, but that just looks "right". I would prefer to go out with someone who shared my interests in fitness though, I'm not sure if I could put up with someone who was having a canary at me for wanting to go out for a 20 mile run.

The last guy I dated was 18/19 stone in weight and just shy of 6 foot. I'm 15 stone and 5'6....so yeah I would. Despite his weight, he had the best smile and the most gorgeous eyes ever.
    However most guys wouldn't touch me with a barge pole cos I'm not "skinny" - and none of them have been anything but blunt in relaying that message too.

Again,what do you mean by skinny?Do you mean not fat? Being a normal,healthy weight is not "skinny". If you use pejorative terms then don't be surprised when people are blunt with you.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Again,what do you mean by skinny?Do you mean not fat? Being a normal,healthy weight is not "skinny". If you use pejorative terms then don't be surprised when people are blunt with you.

I don't mean anything by it, it wasn't me that used the term - it has been used in various guises by numerous guys that I've asked out, flirted with etc.

To quote one guy (cos its engraved in my brain for years now)
    "[insert name here] you're such a nice person and I really like you, but its a pity you're not a size 8, cos then I'd fancy you"

Take what you will from that, but he was basically telling me to get fcuked because I didn't fit his ideal physical girlfriend type.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Would I date someone heavier than I am? Of course. Would I date someone noticeably obese? No. I just can't see myself being attracted to a person who was grossly over-weight. My current, and also previous boyfriends have all been of slim build so I guess that's what I tend to go for. It's not that I wouldn't go out with a guy unless he had an amazing body, and spent hours in the gym and was toned etc. Just a lot of excess weight would be a turn off for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I would go out with someone heavier than me (well I've never been with anyone *not* heavier than me).

I couldn't be with someone who is very overweight. I'm an absolute bitch when it comes to people being overweight. I admit it! Just the way I am. Awful really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

The question being, "Would you date someone who was noticably heavier/fatter than you?"

I've highlighted two major differences in your question. 'Heavier' could simply imply weight in muscle, so the person could still be lean. Whereas 'Fatter' simply means overweight.

I'm 5'10' and 70kg, so yes I'd date someone noticeably heavier than me. But I don't think I'd date, or be attracted to, someone who was unhealthily overweight, for a start we wouldn't have anything in common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Being someone who takes fitness quite seriously, I don't think I could ever go out with anyone who didn't make a good effort to stay in shape.So it goes without saying that I wouldn't go out with anyone who is heavier than me (14 stone)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

Anything up to James Corden-like "overweighted-ness" is fine, meaning I could still (and have done) find a guy attractive up to that point approximately, if other stuff (personality, looks, brains) clicks.

However, somewhere north of that point I would really struggle to find someone attractive, as the weight then starts to mar people's looks (imv), plus it doesn't take a scientist to conclude that our lifestyles would be completely clashing (I am petite, 8 stone, and I do care about eating healthily and having a healthy lifestyle, otherwise I would be more than 8 stone atm - as I have been...).

How do you define "skinny" Many people call people skinny when in fact they are at a normal healthy weight.It's just that more and more people are overweight or obese.So normal isn't normal anymore

ummmm....Russell Brand is skinny.

ummmm....Russell Brand is skinny.

Is he? He looks a normal weight to me.

I would'nt consider Russel skinny, as he has a nice amount of muscle from what I can gather.

A perfect example of a skinny guy is Michael Cera, now that's what id consider skinny.

Is he? He looks a normal weight to me.

Don't be so pedantic. Where did I say in either of my posts that skinny isn't 'normal' weight? Define 'normal' weight anyway? I don't find people of that physique attractive. Sorry. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

istockphoto_10218832-human-body-for-study-from-slim-man-to-the-overweight.jpg

There. From little to big! And I do think Russell Brand is skinny.

Russell-Brand-Rolling-Stone-thumb-440x598-41475.jpg

Not that this is the point of the thread, but anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I would'nt consider Russel skinny, as he has a nice amount of muscle from what I can gather.

Good 'Skinny'
    2869049478_4ee2d6b6a6.jpg

Bad Skinny
    gal_twitter_russell-brand.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'll be honest with you, no. I like thin girls. Maybe that makes me very shallow, but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Chunky boys have a special place in my heart but current man is a runner so he's quite 'fit'. Anything above rake thin and below obese is grand - so long as I'm not repulsed and he has a personality that does it for me I can overlook a spare tyre. He eats bizarre food as part of his training regime and I eat junk food and we still get on fine :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

seenitall wrote: »
    Anything up to James Corden-like "overweighted-ness" is fine, meaning I could still (and have done) find a guy attractive up to that point approximately, if other stuff (personality, looks, brains) clicks.

However, somewhere north of that point I would really struggle to find someone attractive, as the weight then starts to mar people's looks (imv), plus it doesn't take a scientist to conclude that our lifestyles would be completely clashing (I am petite, 8 stone, and I do care about eating healthily and having a healthy lifestyle, otherwise I would be more than 8 stone atm - as I have been...).

<snip>

Seriously though, I found it very difficult in the past to remain attracted to an OH whom I loved who became seriously obese having been a distance swimmer/triathlon athlete when we first met. Lots of other stuff broke us up in the end, but I believe firmly that if you can look at your OH and go 'Damm she/he looks good' you'l forgive a lot of other stuff - minor rows that is obviously not biggies.

Don't be so pedantic. Where did I say in either of my posts that skinny isn't 'normal' weight? Define 'normal' weight anyway? I don't find people of that physique attractive. Sorry. :rolleyes:
    Your are missing the point.
    I'm not being pedantic.You are using the term "skinny" to describe someone who doesn't happen to be fat. "Skinny" is a pejorative term and yet it seems ok to use, where fat is not ok. Russell Brand not being fat doesn't make him "skinny".It's all about perception I suppose.
    Because there are so many more overweight people now,fat becomes the new normal and anyone else is "skinny":rolleyes:
    I think we are going OT here so I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Normal weight is a BMI of 18.5 to 25. Brand looks to me as though he'd be easily in this range.

The other poster is right though, what people think is skinny, average or big is skewed and normal isn't normal anymore. For instance, I am currently 180 pounds at 5 foot 9.5. That makes me overweight according to BMI. I'm not worried as I know what im doing, am lean and into weight training etc. But most people think I'm skinny.

I'm pretty good at estimating weights partiicularly of men as I've been able to guess weights and then found out their true weight later. I can say that an 18-20 stone average height man is not unusual these days and doesn't look particularly out of place. A lot of "stocky" lads "with a bit of meat of them" would be around that weight. They're obese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i don't mind a bit of weight, but a big beer gut would turn me off. also if he had bigger breasts than me i'd be hurt :o

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Normal weight is a BMI of 18.5 to 25. Brand looks to me as though he'd be easily in this range.

The other poster is right though, what people think is skinny, average or big is skewed and normal isn't normal anymore. For instance, I am currently 180 pounds at 5 foot 9.5. That makes me overweight according to BMI. I'm not worried as I know what im doing, am lean and into weight training etc. But most people think I'm skinny.

I'm pretty good at estimating weights partiicularly of men as I've been able to guess weights and then found out their true weight later. I can say that an 18-20 stone average height man is not unusual these days and doesn't look particularly out of place. A lot of "stocky" lads "with a bit of meat of them" would be around that weight. They're obese.

Are you really throwing BMI at me? Really? I stopped reading after the BMI thing. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Are you really throwing BMI at me? Really? I stopped reading after the BMI thing. Sorry.
    "The BMI thing" LMAO. A measure recognised and used by scientists, statisticians, epidemiologists, researchers and other medical professionals. But nevermind them.

The equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going la la la!
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Okay stop both of ye.

Whether Russel brand is a normal weight or not...in that last pic he does look quite 'skinny', simple as. I don't care about the words used to describe someones weight. We all have a rough estimate of whats fat/skinny, leave it at that.

Advertisement