Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion on Saorview Compatible TVs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

jamesbil wrote: »
    just a thought but if saorview will only broadcast RTE & other irish, that means if you want uk, you need a dish?
    meaning its pointless getting an expensive mPEG4 tv.
    just get a cheap one and a satelite kit. (assuming it will pick up irish)

course, ive thought of this AFTER i got the expensive MPEG 4 telly!

Most people in Ireland will require a satellite dish to get UK regardless of their TV's capabilities. However your TV will get Freeview (but not FreeviewHD) and Saorview if you can receive a signal for both, this is of course dependant on your location.

Most new(2010 models onwards) big brand TV's supplied in Ireland will actually be FreeviewHD and have Mpeg4 as a result. Mpeg4 adds little to the cost of a TV.

RTE is not available Free To Air on Satellite until Saorsat is up and running. There will be no cheap satellite kits available to do Saorsat and Freesat on the one receiver. Freesat and saorsat combo's are very unlikely to happen at all, Saorsat and Free To Air UK satellite receivers are possible but this means no 7 day EPG will be available for the UK channels and constant re-tuning of channels will be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭championc

jamesbil wrote: »
    just a thought but if saorview will only broadcast RTE & other irish, that means if you want uk, you need a dish?
    meaning its pointless getting an expensive mPEG4 tv.
    just get a cheap one and a satelite kit. (assuming it will pick up irish)

course, ive thought of this AFTER i got the expensive MPEG 4 telly!

If you want a set which will do Saorview AND UK Satellite all in one (that's when it's really worth spending the few extra bucks on), there are just three at present - Sony v5810 or w5810, LG LF7700 and the Panasonic UK Model G20B. All three are possibly on last stocks if you manage to get any at all now

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    RTE is not available Free To Air on Satellite until Saorsat is up and running. There will be no cheap satellite kits available to do Saorsat and Freesat on the one receiver. Freesat and saorsat combo's are very unlikely to happen at all,

Any "Freesat HD" receiver with Diseqc can do Freesat and Saorsat. You won't have a single EPG. But there are a small number of Irish channels compared to UK channels, and if RTE do an MHEG5 EPG, then that might work when you are on an Irish Channel. Interactive will work on both.

A Generic FTA DVB-S2 HD satellite receiver will have no Freesat or Saorsat Interactive and only EPG on Saorsat as long as DVB-EIT full EPG is still transmitted. Manual tuning required for both.

Any Satellite solution for Saorsat + Freesat needs either a receiver with built-in diseqc support, or an external manual switch (less than €10) that you have to flick over between UK and Irish channels. The manual switch is a Kludge but will work for a Sagecom Freesat HD. It might even work for a Sky HD box if the Sky "other channels" supports the Saorsat parameters for SR.

People have used manual switches on Sky box with "other channels" for 19E and 13E, even using the SCART to switch satellite via Setup SCART settings!

Also the number of actual TV channels on Saorsat will be less than many people on Irish Sub have used in the past on "Other Channels".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭timmydel1

Hi, has anyone a recommendation for a good 42 inch Plasma Tv that is Saorview compatible? (cant go bigger- her indoors etc..;)) I am already addled looking at reviews for Plasma tv's without not knowing what ones are also compatible!
    Alot of LCD models listed but not many Plasma. I was looking at Panasonic but after seeing all the posts here about their couldnt care less about Ireland attitude, I think I will stay away from them.Thanks.

• Advertisement

Go on, go for the Panny G20B - you won't regret it !! It does everything. The Plasma is the top of many reviews. It was too big for me so I settled for the 37" LCD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Gipo3 wrote: »
    How does epg work on saorview and freesat compatible tv's

Its not combined...essentially 2 separate EPGs. Far from ideal but the manufacturers have no choice because to get Freesat licenced they cant interfere with the freesat EPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I was going to suggest the LG 42PJ550 - €479 from Currys.ie but I have just noticed that they are selling it off their UK website for £349 which is infact €411! Some great money to be made on Currency exchanges isnt there. Madness!

Hi Slegs!

Thanks STB and Championc for the replies. LG looks good.Also saw a Samsung PS42C450 for sale locally at 495 and in PC World for 470. Is this one compatible? Must go in tomorrow to local shop and check.

I believe it is 100% OK. I think watty bought one of these last week.

• Advertisement

I think watty got an lcd "LG 42LD450". I will check out instore tomorrow if the Samsung PS42C450 is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

slightly off topic but just wondering how you go about connecting the aerial feed to the tv. Am going to get a tv one of the saorview compatible tv's soon but can't imagine you just put aerial in the back like normal, surely it needs hdmi input for rte 2 hd. Simple answer i'm sure just can't think what it is

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

coco1981 wrote: »
    slightly off topic but just wondering how you go about connecting the aerial feed to the tv. Am going to get a tv one of the saorview compatible tv's soon but can't imagine you just put aerial in the back like normal, surely it needs hdmi input for rte 2 hd. Simple answer i'm sure just can't think what it is

Yes, you just plug in the normal aerial in the normal way. The TV does all the work inside.

Hi can anyone confirm MHEG5 working on this TV ?Samsung PS42C450B1WXXU . Went into local store and they connected up antenna for RTE to check for Saorview channels. These worked ok but the MHEG5 text did not come through.The menu was greyed out for enabling digital text. Would it work if another country was used in initial setup ?? Thanks for any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

timmydel1

I dont know about MHEG5 and that Plasma. A lot of the new Samsungs are fine with MHEG5, but I can tell you that if you are interested in that model that they are selling it in DID for €450.

Also saw a LG 42 P350 for €449 in Tescos. Same deal does MPEG4, not sure how it is for MHEG5, should be okay as the LGs arent locked down as much as others.

Thanks STB.
    I probably could do without the MHEG5 but as I am getting a new TV may as well make sure it is compliant ( unofficially I know ) with Saorview.
    The chap who helped me out in the local store didnt know enough about the TV but did say their "expert" would be in Monday. I will get him to have a go at getting the text up and running if its possible. I am interested in getting a Plasma as I dont like the "smudgy" or "blurry" effect I see on LCD. Unfortunately no plasma models are listed on the list in the sticky thread of compliant TV's.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, maybe set the TV for UK instead of Ireland to get MHEG5 working?

I can check one at work, though it won't be until Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 2002

Does anyone know if the TOSHIBA 40SL733F is saorview/mpeg4/mheg5 compatible
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5349908/art/toshiba/40sl733f-led-television.html

It does do HD for French TNT-HD (probably with MHP)
    It does do MHEG5 for UK Freeview

I don't know if it does HD + MHEG5 at same time. If someone with attitude of LG did the firmware it's OK and if someone with Panasonic outlook did Firmware, then expect problems.

LG have paid attention to Firmware for Ireland on the xxLD450 and xxLE450 series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

2002 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the TOSHIBA 40SL733F is saorview/mpeg4/mheg5 compatible
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5349908/art/toshiba/40sl733f-led-television.html

Well according to that link it's TNT-HD (French DTT) certified so will have compatible MPEG4, it's also Freeview certified so will have MHEG5 if UK is selected as the region during the initial set-up, it may work with Ireland selected.

However there may be some incompatibilities that prevent 100% functionality, there is no guarantee unless the TV has an official Saorview sticker on it.

You could review the sticky on compatible TV's to see if it's mentioned - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056131453

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I started a thread on them Toshys and nobody answered it :)

It's €15,000 to get Teracom to check.

Buy me one to keep and I'll tell you for "free" ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thought you were in Tesco last week, they have quite a few of them :)

They wern't wanting to talk to me at all, much less have me test the Stock.

"We won't change how we label the TVs unless the Dept of Consumer Affairs tell Head Office"

"But can you tell me which ones work?"

"I'm busy, make an appointment".

Hi can anyone confirm MHEG5 working on this TV ?Samsung PS42C450B1WXXU . Went into local store and they connected up antenna for RTE to check for Saorview channels. These worked ok but the MHEG5 text did not come through.The menu was greyed out for enabling digital text. Would it work if another country was used in initial setup ?? Thanks for any help.
    Can confirm Samsung PS42C450B1WXXU Saorview working and MHEG5 OK set to Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

watty wrote: »
    They wern't wanting to talk to me at all, much less have me test the Stock.

"We won't change how we label the TVs unless the Dept of Consumer Affairs tell Head Office"

"But can you tell me which ones work?"

"I'm busy, make an appointment".

I got the same response from tesco in tullamore before christmas when I asked about it. posted the response in a different thread at the time but yeah basically they dont care...stock line is it comes from the uk and its not our responsibility...sure you will be grand as the people from the networks will give ya a free box in 2012 and then the tv will be compatable!!!! that was the answer i got from a senior manager of the electrical department.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

fat-tony wrote: »
    I have one of those Sony KDL32V5810 and it's the bee's knees for combining Freesat and Saorview in one receiver. The advanced teletext works well also.

Prob silly questions but anyway...

1) If I just have an ordinary dvd recorder with no in built in tuner - can I record directly from the TV

2) If so, presume if TV is off the signal is not recordable?

Thanks

1) Depends on Model.. Even if there is Video out on SCART, it will never be HD. Just SD.
    Try it!

2) Indeed. No recording in standby... But some Digital TVs have a scheduler that runs while in standby and wakes the TV, also changes channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

watty wrote: »
    1) Depends on Model.. Even if there is Video out on SCART, it will never be HD. Just SD.
    Try it!

2) Indeed. No recording in standby... But some Digital TVs have a scheduler that runs while in standby and wakes the TV, also changes channel.

Thanks Watty. I should have said - I am considering the Sony KDL32V5810 referred to by Fat Tony - so my question was in relation to that. But your answer confirms what I thought - that while it may be handy to have freesat/DTT both within the television for viewing purposes you still need a combo box with built in tuners (or separate boxes) to record anything...

hence I might go for a cheaper tv so..

Advertisement