Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion on Saorview Compatible TVs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    I agree with this statement 100% - both Argos & Tesco's have in the past week had some good deals on TV's that happen to be compatible with Saorview. I believe these TV's where dumped here from UK stores for not being FreeviewHD compatible, most of the savy UK customers are not willing to buy a new TV unless it's FreeviewHD. I reckon it's only a matter of time before we see some of the Sony and LG FreesatHD/freeview combo sets being dumped on the market here. I'm going to wait and grab one or two as soon as I seen them .... keeping an close eye on the bargain threads.

Yep. The Lf7700 you may not see unless they have been sitting in a forgotten warehouse. They were discontinued in the earlier part of 2010. The Sony's maybe. The Panasonic Pz81/LZD81/G10/G15/V10s are a no no (and not to be bought for use in ROI) for obvious nasty shortcut reasons.

There will be plenty of LG's and Samsungs with DVB-T (MPEG4) tuners dumped though, which will be good for us. Argos where dumping them last year. Thank god they werent aware that they would be perfect for DTT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Currys are chocka with LG 42in Plasma and 42in LCD sets that work here...I mean chocka as in there must be 100 of them out on the floor in Galway.

Tesco have a lot of Toshiba Regza units, I asked about them in this forum some time back an got no answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Most if not all of Toshiba Regza range are TNT-HD certified so should work, MGEH5 might work too as they are Freeview certified.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

We got the LG 42LD450 as they "price matched" Argos price excluding Delivery. I'm no-where near UK, so the DVB-T2 not an advantage, but the LG 42LD490 worth it :) The Person buying wanted it Today! ;)

watty wrote: »
    We got the LG 42LD450 as they "price matched" Argos price excluding Delivery. I'm no-where near UK, so the DVB-T2 not an advantage, but the LG 42LD490 worth it :) The Person buying wanted it Today! ;)

The LD490 you mean ? So they price matched a dvb-t2 set with a dvb-t set ! How did they get them in the first place and at that price.

The cheapest I have seen that bar power is at richersounds and that is the sterling price of 460, so its a good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Picked up a Samsung UE46C5100 LED in DID Electrical for €799, mpeg4 and mHeg5 compatible-the same tv is €1200 in Currys.

STB wrote: »
    The LD490 you mean ? So they price matched a dvb-t2 set with a dvb-t set ! How did they get them in the first place and at that price.

The cheapest I have seen that bar power is at richersounds and that is the sterling price of 460, so its a good deal.

no...
    The Powercity 42LD490 is same price as Currys 42LD450.

The Argos 42LD450 is about 20 Euro cheaper. (but Home delivery only, @ €20 extra). Currys only match exact same models. The Argos web page show no delivery charges, which is what I printed and showed Currys.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lukeeman

I have a hannspree 19" sj model tv, picks up digital tv no prob with a old fashion indoor ariel, but the teletext on rte1 still shows the old way no video in the corner. Am i doing something wrong or is tv not mheg 5 not working.

Try RTE2, it has no teletext, only MHEG5 text.
    Some TVs only show original Teletext if they find it. Some have a setup-option to change this.
    RTE1 has regular text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dd02

The more I watch my Sony KDL-32w5810 the more amazed I am. It is my second TV and I regret not buying a bigger screen version as a main TV.
    It has both Freesat and Mpeg4/Mheg5 tuners, USB, DLNA. Great picture and sound...

Tonight I found that if you set a reminder on one service (eg Saorview) it will switch you over from Freesat at the right time (and vice versa).

TVs with both Satelite and DTT tuners seem hard to come by, yet are the ideal solution for Free TV.

• Advertisement

For Ireland.

There is almost no market in UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭championc

For Ireland.

There is almost no market in UK.

Absolutely, which is why I bought my Panny G20B now before next years' models come in, in case they drop the idea of Combo's. Manufacturers certainly won't make a model just for little Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 farragan

Philips xxPFL8404H - RTE2 HD, 3e OK, MHEG5 OK but the TV must be set to UK (done via Channel Reinstallation or Full Factory Reset).

Edit: I don't know if it's just my TV, but the Guide/EPG button isn't working on UK locale but it definitely was on Irish :rolleyes:

Edit 2:

Right, so the story is when you're on the Ireland location (only set when installing TV post factory reset or reinstalling all channels) you have an EPG over the Internet that is provided by NET TV. You can change the EPG to one provided by the digital broadcast in Installation->Preferences->Programming Guide but as mentioned elsewhere on the forum the inbuilt EPG software is beyond crap!

When you swap to the UK location you get lots of channels including all the Saorview ones and MHEG5 teletext. However, the EPG over Net TV is not available to UK users (which you now are) so you've to stick with the aforementioned horrible inbuilt EPG. To add a kick in the nads, this EPG doesn't display the Saorview channels when in the UK - I'm unsure if it does when in Ireland as I stuck with the Net TV EPG and didn't swap to broadcast EPG.

At the minute it seems like you can either have MHEG5 Digi-teletext with a brutal EPG (UK), or a very good EPG with no MHEG5 Digi-teletext (Ireland) :) I don't know if there are differences in channels, I suspect not
    I have just bought the Sony 40ex403, live in North Donegal, freeview UK is ok, have not got all the channels, about a dozen I'd say, but the Saorview is not coming up at all. It was working in the shop, which is just 10 miles away (signal is from Holywell Hill). Wondering should I have set it to Ireland instead? If I do that will I lose the UK freeview channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

Hi guys, id appreciate a bit of help with this, we have this tv below, its a
    Hitachi 37 Inch 1080P Full HD Ready TV - L37VP01

http://www.directtvs.co.uk/WebProd/Printable.aspx?mfpn=L37VP01

Can anyone tell me will i be able to get saorview on it with just an arial or is it even compatable? Appreciated!

Hi guys, id appreciate a bit of help with this, we have this tv below, its a
    Hitachi 37 Inch 1080P Full HD Ready TV - L37VP01

http://www.directtvs.co.uk/WebProd/Printable.aspx?mfpn=L37VP01

Can anyone tell me will i be able to get saorview on it with just an arial or is it even compatable? Appreciated!

That TV is from 2007. So its old warehoused stock. Its MPEG2 for UK. Why Hitachi ? I havent seen any in use for DTT in Ireland.

http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/brochures/en_GB/hitachi2007_UK.pdf

You will get a Good Tv for that price with MPEG4. example http://powercity.ie/?par=10-13-37E403

What drew you to that ? And what are you looking for.

For €470 approx Power City have LG 42LD490(Sold out! 200+ in the last week!, LG37LD450 at €469.95) and in Argos or Currys the LG 42LD450

Great sets and the LG 42LD450 appears to have firmware tweeks especially for Ireland.
    Sky box on SCART
    VHS on Composite
    DVD on Component
    Games PC on HDMI
    Separate store of settings for each input and for Irish DTT (Saorview). MHEG5 text fine. Great quality up-scale of Sky, VHS (extra noise filters) and especially the DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Sam the Aerialman

What about this one - Sainsburys are shifting these for 349.99 in their January Sales. The Tosh Regza Freeview HD version is a hundred quid dearer.

I believe the LG sets are DVB-T Mpeg4 but can find no evidence in the manual or on the box.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/technology/televisions/led/121308968_lg_le4500_37full_hd_1080p_led_tv.html?hnav=4294959505

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What about this one - Sainsburys are shifting these for 349.99 in their January Sales. The Tosh Regza Freeview HD version is a hundred quid dearer.

I believe the LG sets are DVB-T Mpeg4 but can find no evidence in the manual or on the box.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/technology/televisions/led/121308968_lg_le4500_37full_hd_1080p_led_tv.html?hnav=4294959505
    Seems it is.

Link

The fact it caters for DivX HD too would assume MPEG4 HD hardware?

No, not always. DivX HD is a much less complex codec. Loads of stuff can do DivX HD but not H.264 AVC L4 (like my laptop!)

But you are right byte from Link
    Dekoder MPEG-4 AVC (H.264)

Are the LE series mostly LED backlight version of the LD series?
    Much impressed with the LG 42L450 and with our normal viewing lighting (single uplighter to side and rear of screen) the Dynamic Contrast is not needed. Blacks, dark colours and pastel coloured highlights all fine (the usual areas in which CRT beats LCD).

Are the LE series mostly LED backlight version of the LD series?

I believe this to be the case - The sets are marked LED on the box.

Mpeg4 compatibility is bloody confusing for the average consumer, there isn't a single reference on the box or inside the manual to being DVB-T Mpeg4 or H.264 compatible. Even the Tosh which is plain Freeview HD compatible makes nil reference to being DVB-T2 even in the small print. I was standing in Sainsburys Sprucefield and some guy asked me if the RTE Digital Services would work on particular Sony's, you can't even give a definitive answer plus the staff are confused.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Usually, many of the TV's (I'm sure LG do also) come out of the box with a big long sticker with the logos of various DTT platforms (eg. TNTHD, Freeview, Boxer).

I'm near sure that all current LG's are MPEG4. I think the likes of LG and Samsung like to make one TV tuner to cover all Europe (changes determined by country selected on initial install), unlike Panasonic who insist on specific regional models (internally maybe all the same but locked into firmware?).

byte wrote: »
    Usually, many of the TV's (I'm sure LG do also) come out of the box with a big long sticker with the logos of various DTT platforms (eg. TNTHD, Freeview, Boxer). I'm near sure that all current LG's are MPEG4.

Yes i agree with you but the consumer shouldn't have to pull the set out of it's box and trawl through the manual in the supermarket aisle to find out the set's spec. It should be clearly labeled on the box this set is compatible with x, y and z... This LG i've bought from Sainsbury's has the Digital tick and a Freeview logo it says sweet FA about being Mpeg4 and believe me i've checked.

We are USELESS at Consumer issues in Ireland. Mobile Dialup Internet (midband) via Phone system sold as home & Business Broadband, defended by ASAI, DNCER and Comreg.

There should be a clear labelling scheme.
    One suggestion
    http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/for-retailers/

It should be used in N.I. also as they already have more than 30% DTT coverage and will get Freeview HD in a couple of years. Maybe even Irish TV on a "lite" DVB-T2 mux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

STB wrote: »
    That TV is from 2007. So its old warehoused stock. Its MPEG2 for UK. Why Hitachi ? I havent seen any in use for DTT in Ireland.

http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/brochures/en_GB/hitachi2007_UK.pdf

You will get a Good Tv for that price with MPEG4. example http://powercity.ie/?par=10-13-37E403

What drew you to that ? And what are you looking for.

Thanks for the reply, we bought the tv over 18 months ago so i suppose we were none the wiser at the time! What do i need now to recieve this new service saorview? Thinking of getting a reasonable enough 50 inch full hd soon, any recomendations? Powercity deliver for €10 thats great!

That's still within a timescale you may get replacement/refund.

http://www.techtir.ie/blog/cinocat4/no-dtt-get-money-back

Thanks for the reply, we bought the tv over 18 months ago so i suppose we were none the wiser at the time! What do i need now to recieve this new service saorview? Thinking of getting a reasonable enough 50 inch full hd soon, any recomendations? Powercity deliver for €10 thats great!

Powercity are a good reference point as they label compatibility unlike some others who will confuse you or give you wrong advice. You can then check that models price with other retailers.

So note down the model number (to the T as they can vary with one letter!)
    • Remember that Full HD does not mean Saorview/Irish DTT compatible.
    • Be wary of anything labeled Freeview. It most likely wont work with Irish DTT.
    • Anything you buy now should be compatible. Make sure you reference that you want it to work with Irish DTT.
    • Some times likely bargains arent always what they seem. There is a huge tendency for unscrupulous retailers to offload old incompatible UK stock that even the UK consumer wont buy.
    Come back nearer the time when you see something that catches your eye before you rush in. People on this board will be able to advise you about compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

just bought this from Argos,
    is recieving Irish digital, EPG, and radio.

will we be getting uk tv on digital or will we need a dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

jamesbil wrote: »
    just bought this from Argos,
    is recieving Irish digital, EPG, and radio.

will we be getting uk tv on digital or will we need a dish?

A dish will be required if you do not live with range of a NI or Wales tv transmitter. UK channels will not be part of the Irish DTT service.

just a thought but if saorview will only broadcast RTE & other irish, that means if you want uk, you need a dish?
    meaning its pointless getting an expensive mPEG4 tv.
    just get a cheap one and a satelite kit. (assuming it will pick up irish)

course, ive thought of this AFTER i got the expensive MPEG 4 telly!

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    A dish will be required if you do not live with range of a NI or Wales tv transmitter. UK channels will not be part of the Irish DTT service.

any idea what this means then?

http://www.digitaltelevision.ie/NR/rdonlyres/7FC4288D-714E-41D8-A139-8A309C2F9A14/0/UKNIROIMOUFeb2010.pdf

Advertisement