Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion on Saorview Compatible TVs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Prob silly questions but anyway...

1) If I just have an ordinary dvd recorder with no in built in tuner - can I record directly from the TV

2) If so, presume if TV is off the signal is not recordable?

Thanks

I have an older Sony V4500 which I tested once by setting the reminder via the epg and it did select the correct programme for recording to DVD.

I also have a W5810 which I must test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Prob silly questions but anyway...

1) If I just have an ordinary dvd recorder with no in built in tuner - can I record directly from the TV

2) If so, presume if TV is off the signal is not recordable?

Thanks
    My TV is attached to the wall and I don't have a means of checking, but the manual indicates that the SCART AV1 and AV2 connectors are in/out as follows:

/AV1 21-pin scart connector (CENELEC standard) including audio/video input, RGB input and TV audio/video
    output.
    //AV2 21-pin scart connector (CENELEC standard) including audio/video input, RGB input and selectable audio/
    video output.

As per watty's and the cush's posts I'd be very surprised if the TV didn't output its tuned audio/video, but this is SD only.
    There is a reminder facility where you select a programme or programmes from the EPG and the TV wakes up from standby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

Hi,

I just bought a Samsung LE32C530 TV, which is saorview compatible, What else do i need to recieve Saorview? will just an aeriel do or will i have to buy a box?

Can someone recommend an aeriel for east cork?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

noiniho wrote: »
    Hi,

I just bought a Samsung LE32C530 TV, which is saorview compatible, What else do i need to recieve Saorview? will just an aeriel do or will i have to buy a box?

Just plug in an aerial. If you aready receive TV from an aerial, it will probably work for you. Try it and see. Turn on the TV and do an install, or a Digital tune. See what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

I just set up a Philips 26" LED (model No. 26PFL 3405) for an elderly couple.

http://www.philips.ie/c/televisions/small-led-tv-series-black-philips-26-inch-hd-ready-dvb-t-26pfl3405h_05/prd/

It receives all the TV and radio channels without a problem. It does not appear to have functioning MHEG-5. I've tried a rescan, set to UK and a full reset to no avail. When the Text/MHEG button is pressed, only analogue text is displayed where available.

It appears this model is problematic, unless others have a workaround ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Antenna

fat-tony wrote: »
    As per watty's and the cush's posts I'd be very surprised if the TV didn't output its tuned audio/video, but this is SD only.

As an example with this Philips MPEG4 TV: 32PFL5604H/12 -
    There is NO SCART output possible for any DTT reception.
    It is only possible to enable this in menu for analogue reception - (mainly there to facilitate some types of analog cable TV decoder where the signal on a SCART loops out and back in again after descrambling )
    I haven't tried this on any other TVs with DTT reception yet - but I would not be hopeful that this is possible on very many sets!
    I mentioned this in another thread

I'd be curious to hear of TVs where SCART output is possible with digtal reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Antenna

noiniho wrote: »

Where more exactly, as it could be one of at least 5 different transmitters for DTT!? as well as very different signal strengths depending on locality. What aerials do neighbours have for analogue reception?

Have you (or had) any aerial for analogue reception?

Antenna wrote: »
    It is only possible to enable this in menu for analogue reception - (mainly there to facilitate some types of analog cable TV decoder where the signal on a SCART loops out and back in again after descrambling )
    I haven't tried this on any other TVs with DTT reception yet - but I would not be hopeful that this is possible on very many sets!

I'd be curious to hear of TVs where SCART output is possible with digtal reception.

I thought I had recalled seeing a post about lack of SCART output on digital TVs all right. It makes sense that there might not be a video output to save costs and that the in/out designation in the manual is only to indicate a video and audio loop through. If I get a chance, I'll lash up the old VCR to the Sony and see if there is any output on digital!

I found the old VCR and connected it to the Sony KDL32V5810. My biggest difficulty was finding a blank tape! Eventually used the sellotape trick on an old movie. Pleased to report that the Sony outputs via SCART to the VCR on analogue, terrestrial digital and satellite channels. Forgot how crap the quality was on standard VHS;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 New_Girl

Hi

I'm looking to get either a Samsung LE32C450 or an LG 32LD450, which are both on the list as working with Saorview, which of these is better?

Can they get freesat if I hookup to a dish? will I need a freesat box?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The LG xxLD450 series is specifically Compatible on the Ireland Country setting. We have the 42LD450 and it's very good. Only bug was the video playback from USB stick/HDD was missing. That was easily sorted and not a TV issue as such.

You need a Freesat HD box to the HDMI socket on TV for Dish.

We have been using an Sky box with no Sub via SCART for Freesat channels and Media PC with 2 x HD satellite cards via HDMI.

Antenna wrote: »

Antenna - the Sony does output AV signals on SCART when tuned to digital satellite or terrestrial. See my post http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70186276&postcount=160

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

What's the cheapest 22 inch Saorview compatible tv anyone has come accross? I am looking for a replacement for the old kitchen tv. Gonna connect it to a wall mount with an arm.

Try Power city and the new Spring/Summer Argos Catalogue. NOT argos online!

See what price an LG 22LD350 is. Tesco and Currys might have it.

26LD350 is reported to be compatible, so a 22LD350 should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Gipo3

I have this though got it in Currys for same price, have it in bedroom. Fully compatible with Mheg5

Gipo3 wrote: »
    I have this though got it in Currys for same price, have it in bedroom. Fully compatible with Mheg5

That tv looks great, I'm looking for something cheaper though. I see a 22" in powercity for €200 and the wall arm bracket for €40. I am really just enquiring to see if there is a cheaper option than this. Its not my money I'm spending. Just want to get the price down a bit. 720p,1080i,p wont matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110203.p.32inch_Full_HD_LCD_TV 299

Be very cautious about hanspree or TVs any less than €199

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Martin_F wrote: »
    Let me know if you have got the digital teletext service to work, because I have been unsuccessful thus far.

I don't have one. (I've ordered the 25" version). The MIL bought a 25" - had fun and games with the subtitles - she won't have tried the digital txt.

Hopefully I'll get the unit early next week - will report back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I don't have one. (I've ordered the 25" version). The MIL bought a 25" - had fun and games with the subtitles - she won't have tried the digital txt.

Hopefully I'll get the unit early next week - will report back.
    Yeah, it's mad how subtitles are enabled by default.

Look forward to your reports.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

byte wrote: »
    Yeah, it's mad how subtitles are enabled by default.

Look forward to your reports.

But that is part of Nordig. Factory settings - subtitling (Normal) = ON

Nuts.:(

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=20-80-LCD503

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-11-P22F11

I think I have decided on the two of these, I have been asking the powercity help line if they would sell them both for €200... they said they couldn't accept that offer over the phone. As I expected. They then said to call into the shop and we could discuss it. Has anyone here ever got a discount on a tv from power city?

byte wrote: »
    Let me know if you have got the digital teletext service to work, because I have been unsuccessful thus far.

Was down at the in-laws at the weekend - had a first look at the Hannspree SJ25 tv they got at christmas - first chance to check out the MHEG 5.

Basically it does not work with RTE digital text on any RTE channel.

Looked through all the settings - found nothing.

Tried UK in country profile - nothing. Tried scanning channels from UK profile - still nothing.

Surely this must be working with Freeview digital MHEG 5 text in the Uk - I found no reports to the contrary online? So regardless of who is at fault - there seems to be some disconnect between the RTE Digital Text and the MHEG5 implementation in the Hannspree ranges.

I'd not buy a TV from a cheap computer monitor maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Was down at the in-laws at the weekend - had a first look at the Hannspree SJ25 tv they got at christmas - first chance to check out the MHEG 5.

Basically it does not work with RTE digital text on any RTE channel.

Looked through all the settings - found nothing.

Tried UK in country profile - nothing. Tried scanning channels from UK profile - still nothing.

Surely this must be working with Freeview digital MHEG 5 text in the Uk - I found no reports to the contrary online? So regardless of who is at fault - there seems to be some disconnect between the RTE Digital Text and the MHEG5 implementation in the Hannspree ranges.

Strange that I have the SJ28 model and it has full text on RTE analogue and digital plus mheg5 and full 7day EPG on digital and works perfectly with full HD 1080P on RTE2 digital or through HDMI HD sly digibox.
    Badged TNT HD Freeview 1080P 16.10 full picture within the frame set to Ireland if thats any help..

• Registered Users Posts: 19 40047002

Ok can someone walk me through how to tune in saorview on my tv. I know it works because my uncle has the same tv and it works perfectly. Unfortunately he is now in France so I was wondering if any of you can help?? Many thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

40047002 wrote: »
    Ok can someone walk me through how to tune in saorview on my tv. I know it works because my uncle has the same tv and it works perfectly. Unfortunately he is now in France so I was wondering if any of you can help?? Many thanks!!

Would need to know the make and model number of the TV concerned. Look for and then select Menu button on the remote, then look for an auto tune feature? Should be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Hi I have an lg drt389h dvd recorder. It's dvb-t
    It's supposed to be compatible with the uk freeview switchover. Will it do for saorview? I tried tuning it in but i didn't get any extra channels. I can't get on to the saorview.ie website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

phi3 wrote: »
    Hi I have an lg drt389h dvd recorder. It's dvb-t
    It's supposed to be compatible with the uk freeview switchover. Will it do for saorview? I tried tuning it in but i didn't get any extra channels. I can't get on to the saorview.ie website.

UK FreeviewHD receivers will work ( some have issues showing the correct time) however Freeview receivers will not work.

Advertisement