Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion on Saorview Compatible TVs

Options
  • 06-12-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

My LG 26LD350 is working fine with MHEG5.

Thinking of buying one of these for mum, for Christmas. 32" is too big for the room it's going into, but 26" would be fine. I presume RTE2 is ok on the LG26LD350 now that it is upscaled to HD ? Power City currently have it on line for €299.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

26" is tiny. Must be a very small room or very sharp eyed mum.

Go by height of screen if replacing a 4:3 set.
    32" WS LCD is like a 26" 4:3 CRT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

watty wrote: »
    26" is tiny. Must be a very small room or very sharp eyed mum.

Go by height of screen if replacing a 4:3 set.
    32" WS LCD is like a 26" 4:3 CRT

Watty, normally I would agree with you about 26" size unless its for a bedroom, but without going into personal details, due to a number of factors, 32" would be too big in this case. Believe me, I've tried every angle to get a 32" to fit in the one and only place where the tv can only go, and it's not possible !

Portrait Mode? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

RTE2 HD

So are we sure that all the TVs mentioned above will work with RTE2 HD, and won't have any problems??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cinocat4

I am thinking of buying one of these models anybody know if they work ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

Hi All,
    Has anyone got one of these?

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4654880/art/sony/kdl-26ex302-lcd-televisio.html#pix-review

Looks like it should work with Irish DTT for picture and audio but wondering if MHEG5 will work. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Philips xxPFL8404H - RTE2 HD, 3e OK, MHEG5 OK but the TV must be set to UK (done via Channel Reinstallation or Full Factory Reset).

Edit: I don't know if it's just my TV, but the Guide/EPG button isn't working on UK locale but it definitely was on Irish :rolleyes:

Edit 2:

Right, so the story is when you're on the Ireland location (only set when installing TV post factory reset or reinstalling all channels) you have an EPG over the Internet that is provided by NET TV. You can change the EPG to one provided by the digital broadcast in Installation->Preferences->Programming Guide but as mentioned elsewhere on the forum the inbuilt EPG software is beyond crap!

When you swap to the UK location you get lots of channels including all the Saorview ones and MHEG5 teletext. However, the EPG over Net TV is not available to UK users (which you now are) so you've to stick with the aforementioned horrible inbuilt EPG. To add a kick in the nads, this EPG doesn't display the Saorview channels when in the UK - I'm unsure if it does when in Ireland as I stuck with the Net TV EPG and didn't swap to broadcast EPG.

At the minute it seems like you can either have MHEG5 Digi-teletext with a brutal EPG (UK), or a very good EPG with no MHEG5 Digi-teletext (Ireland) :) I don't know if there are differences in channels, I suspect not

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ubeonek

ANY COMMENTS ON A XXPFL7962D PHILIPS THANKS

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

PFL7962D looks like MPEG2 so wouldn't work with Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

Philips xxPFL8404H - RTE2 HD, 3e OK, MHEG5 OK but the TV must be set to UK (done via Channel Reinstallation or Full Factory Reset).

Edit: I don't know if it's just my TV, but the Guide/EPG button isn't working on UK locale but it definitely was on Irish :rolleyes:

Edit 2:

Right, so the story is when you're on the Ireland location (only set when installing TV post factory reset or reinstalling all channels) you have an EPG over the Internet that is provided by NET TV. You can change the EPG to one provided by the digital broadcast in Installation->Preferences->Programming Guide but as mentioned elsewhere on the forum the inbuilt EPG software is beyond crap!

When you swap to the UK location you get lots of channels including all the Saorview ones and MHEG5 teletext. However, the EPG over Net TV is not available to UK users (which you now are) so you've to stick with the aforementioned horrible inbuilt EPG. To add a kick in the nads, this EPG doesn't display the Saorview channels when in the UK - I'm unsure if it does when in Ireland as I stuck with the Net TV EPG and didn't swap to broadcast EPG.

At the minute it seems like you can either have MHEG5 Digi-teletext with a brutal EPG (UK), or a very good EPG with no MHEG5 Digi-teletext (Ireland) :) I don't know if there are differences in channels, I suspect not

Interesting! I recently got a Philips 32PFL7605H & it wouldn't find the Saorview channels if I had the country set to Ireland! Setting it to the UK did the trick so I must check out the EPG to see if it's the same deal.

Must send an email to Philips support to ask why this is needed as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/that-new-christmas-tv-could-soon-be-useless-2459527.html

That new Christmas TV could soon be useless

By Fiona Ellis

Tuesday December 14 2010

CHRISTMAS shoppers are in danger of buying digital TVs that are not compatible with the new Irish digital service and will be useless in a year's time.

At the end of 2012, Saorview, Ireland's new digital service, will be up and running.

By that time, all Irish homes need to upgrade their TV sets to receive a digital signal to watch RTE One, RTE Two, TV3 and TG4 as the analogue terrestrial television network -- which is the system of watching television stations through an outdoor or indoor aerial -- will be switched off.

Fine Gael TD and consumer protection spokeswoman Olivia Mitchell warned shoppers buying a new digital TV this Christmas to make sure the set is MPEG4-compatible.

"Most good retailers are advising customers accordingly; however, TVs which are only MPEG2 compatible may still be available for sale in some shops," she said.

"Buying the wrong TV now may mean viewers having to buy a separate set-top box in order to receive the new Irish service."

Declan Ronayne, managing director of Currys and PC World, said: "All of the price tags of TVs in our stores have a sticker indicating their compatibility with the new digital service.

"The main thing is, if you are a SKY or UPC customer MPEG2 and MPEG4 won't make a difference -- your television will work -- so you have nothing at all to worry about," he added.

- Fiona Ellis

Irish Independent

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

scath wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/that-new-christmas-tv-could-soon-be-useless-2459527.html

That new Christmas TV could soon be useless

By Fiona Ellis

Tuesday December 14 2010

Declan Ronayne, managing director of Currys and PC World, said: "All of the price tags of TVs in our stores have a sticker indicating their compatibility with the new digital service.

"The main thing is, if you are a SKY or UPC customer MPEG2 and MPEG4 won't make a difference -- your television will work -- so you have nothing at all to worry about," he added.

- Fiona Ellis

Irish Independent

Spoilt by the last bit that absolves all retailers from selling obsolete carp that it can be used on UPC or Sky, or maybe a doorstop. If it is obsolete, then it should not be sold. It will also work from a video-recorder to play the old VHS tapes that no-one knows what to do with now there is no recorder to play them on.

How do these people think they can get away with this sh1te. Oh, yea - he works for Currys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

irishchris wrote: »
    just to add i have a samsung LE32C530 and it works brilliant for both saorview and mheg 5 interactive text. sets up perfectly with ireland in setup. full 7 day guide also and great pic quality. i see it is already on list but just to add is excellent tv!

I just emailed power city help desk and they said in relation to the LE32C530 that "Good Afternoon,

Thanks for the email, no sorry this set is not mheg5, any of the lg,sony or walker would do.

Regards,

Powercity"

That's the reply I got. Do you mind me asking where you got your set Chris?

This is the one I asked about,

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32C530

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Spoilt by the last bit that absolves all retailers from selling obsolete carp that it can be used on UPC or Sky, or maybe a doorstop. If it is obsolete, then it should not be sold. It will also work from a video-recorder to play the old VHS tapes that no-one knows what to do with now there is no recorder to play them on.

How do these people think they can get away with this sh1te. Oh, yea - he works for Currys.

Its not as if this was not brought to the attention of the MD on this board. And I wonder did someone read this as regards great Christmas products. The journalist obviously understood sarcasm.

I suggest anyone who feels strongly about this says as much to the MD directly. It is an appalling way to treat customers.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69557277&postcount=73

Deedsie wrote: »
    I just emailed power city help desk and they said in relation to the LE32C530 that "Good Afternoon,

Thanks for the email, no sorry this set is not mheg5, any of the lg,sony or walker would do.

Regards,

Powercity"

I'd be VERY surprised if the LE32C530 doesn't support MHEG-5. I have the 40" version, the LE40C530 and it works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Regards,

Powercity"

it was got for me from power city - that exact model. works perfect for digital text. should there be an mheg 5 epg as well? i am using the tv's epg system at mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

The LExxC530 range have freeview certification so will have MHEG-5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

irishchris wrote: »
    it was got for me from power city - that exact model. works perfect for digital text. should there be an mheg 5 epg as well? i am using the tv's epg system at mo

Once you are seeing the MHEG5 Digital Text vv
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVZ5flRbDMjsSKiemqbCpeBZVxJLMVpEts28sBWCbcVAEkSB2tHw

then the TV is MHEG5 compliant (and has the MHEG5 engine onboard).

AFAIK no MHEG5 epg is being broadcast at present. They did test it at one stage. So its just the text that will tell you that it has MHEG5 as distinct from VBI text vv -which has nothing to do with MHEG5.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQseCiVrvfYwlcU4qqjB0__fmJUwaf-gy-PYg4JWzAlr80M4PWIYw

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rsmike

Regards,

Powercity"

A lamentable demonstration of how knowledgeable TV sellers are about the products they sell, Two top requirements for Saorview, MPEG4 and MHEG5, surprised at Power City.

Yes it has MHEG5

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭lar77

I'm a bit confused about the Irish Digital Channels. I've a Philips 8605 that is MPEG 4, the TV is connected by to a UPC wall fitting (no digital box) but when I scan for channels I pick up the 18 analog channels but no digital ones. I am a UPC customer (have digital boxes on other TV's), can you get these digital channels this way or is it only through an over the air aerial and not cable?

• Advertisement

lar77 wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused about the Irish Digital Channels. I've a Philips 8605 that is MPEG 4, the TV is connected by to a UPC wall fitting (no digital box) but when I scan for channels I pick up the 18 analog channels but no digital ones. I am a UPC customer (have digital boxes on other TV's), can you get these digital channels this way or is it only through an over the air aerial and not cable?

You can't get them via cable, you need an aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭lar77

Karsini wrote: »
    You can't get them via cable, you need an aerial.

Thanks ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Hi All,

I've just seen that Power City have added a DTT 'Score card' to their web site and that Philips seem to be at the bottom of the table (with questionable MPEG-4 and failing MHEG5).

In this thread, though, it seems that most of the newer Philips model may work properly (e.g. the 32PFL5405, albeit with the location set to UK rather than Ireland). Can anyone please confirm, particularly for this model, as I was looking to pick this up as I liked the look of it.

I was given a Hisense LHD19T28UK tv as a present, lovely tv but on the digital scan I can only get the e.p.g.s. Any thing I could do why could Ireland not get a much used system it would make sense

Ireland *IS* using a Much used system Be glad you are not in South America or Japan.

It's probably an obsolete MPEG2 only TV.

Well which country's use same system as a local shop wanted 100euros an sd one.In Spain I saw an hd one with a dvd player and usb rec for 50 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

ubeonek wrote: »
    Well which country's use same system as a local shop wanted 100euros an sd one.In Spain I saw an hd one with a dvd player and usb rec for 50 euros.

It's been discussed to bits already. The system adopted in Ireland is Mepg4 DVB-T. Lots of countries across Europe and worldwide use DVB-T, Mpeg4 for their HD broadcasts and Mpeg2 DVB-T for SD. We are using the same DVB-T MPEG4 for both HD and for SD broadcasts:- Mpeg4 level 4 for HD and Mpeg4 level 3 for SD.

Examples - France uses DVB-T Mpeg4 for the TNT HD network although it doesn't have the MHEG5 used for the new digital text and interactive menu's.

The UK have FreeviewHD which is Mpeg4, DVB-T2 and has MHEG5. DVB-T2 is backward compatible with the Irish DVB-T. *Note* Freeview is not FreeviewHD and it won't work with Saorview.

Many countries like Greece that are currently using the now old Mpeg2 DVB-T system are switching to Mpeg4 DVB-T. See wikipedia for list (as it's wiki there may be some errors :) ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T

Many retailer (lots UK based) dumped large amounts of useless DVB-T mpeg2 TV's on the Irish market in recent years, they where dumped here I suspect because many better informed consumers in the UK wouldn't not buy them as they wanted TV capable of receiving the new HD broadcasts FreeviewHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Bottom of the range.......

Sony KDL 22BX200 - grand little set for the kitchen

MHEG5 OK

(Although Channel list starts at 800 even with Ireland selected/Simple to re-number)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Bottom of the range.......

Sony KDL 22BX200 - grand little set for the kitchen

MHEG5 OK

(Although Channel list starts at 800 even with Ireland selected/Simple to re-number)

Interesting. Should this happen with Ireland picked as country? Thought it might happen when UK was selected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Samsung LE46A656 - getting 'HD Not Supported' message, but can hear sound - so, no good.

Can someone confirm if the above message definitely means my TV doesn't support MPEG4 before I go off to Samsung asking them if a firmware upgrade will enable it?

Thanks - great resource you have here.

Advertisement