Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion on Saorview Compatible TVs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

Galway wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if the Sony KDL 40EX503 can get the MHEG 5 digital teletext? I have just bought this set and only seem to get the old Aertel?

I can now confirm that the new Sony KDL 40EX503 I have can receive the MHEG 5 digital teletext. Only press the teletext button once and 'loading' should appear in the bottom right hand corner, after a few seconds the new digital Aertel menu should appear. The response is a bit slower the analogue teletext, so if you press the button twice in quick sucession, the analogue version which is being transmitted alongside is what appears. The digital text is present on RTÉs 1 & 2, and RTÉ news now, but not on TV3 and 3e and TG4 where the old analogue text appears. No text at all is present on the RTÉ 2 temporary channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭championc

finno wrote: »
    Park Ji Sung

How did you get yours to work? I only get RTE1 the rest comes up scrambled can't decode. I have UPC cable plugged in.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
    finno wrote: »
    Hi Sam

Tried it with a make up aerial and got all the irish stations working.
    Should i be getting BBC,UTV etc too?

Thanks for you help

The sooner an information campaign starts the better !!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ocallagr

watty wrote: »
    Lidl Silvercrest 32" "full HD" Thursday 2nd December 2010

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20101202.p.32inch_FullHD_LCD_TV_with_MPEG4_Tuner

Has MHEG5 http://www.saortv.info/about/mheg5/

First ever compatible TV sold by Aldi or Lidl.

It will work also with N.I., Wales and IOM freeview if you are near enough, but not with "Freeview HD".

It's possibly a Vestel, same manufacturer as makes Walker TVs.

Bought the tv just before Christmas. Works beautifully with Saorview including text.

Also teamed up with a basic Maplins FTA standard def sat box and a 320 gb hard disk full of movies.

Have to say it has a great picture. Standard def looks fantastic, my wife keeps asking me if it is High Definition. Well worth the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

according to tesco no mpeg4 tvs are made under 26inch and if i bought one of their tv's(conversation with staff and tv dept manager on christmas eve) which i knew hadnt mpeg4 it would be grand as the magical people from "the networks" will come round in 2012 and give me a free box at switch over. also said that no tv's are compatible at the moment and when i pointed out that they had one compatable on sale at the moment they said ah no sure that comes in from england... freeview is not available in ireland.... i gave up at that stage....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Galway wrote: »
    I can now confirm that the new Sony KDL 40EX503 I have can receive the MHEG 5 digital teletext. Only press the teletext button once and 'loading' should appear in the bottom right hand corner, after a few seconds the new digital Aertel menu should appear. The response is a bit slower the analogue teletext, so if you press the button twice in quick sucession, the analogue version which is being transmitted alongside is what appears. The digital text is present on RTÉs 1 & 2, and RTÉ news now, but not on TV3 and 3e and TG4 where the old analogue text appears. No text at all is present on the RTÉ 2 temporary channels.
    I mentioned that there was a slight delay in loading the newer teletext in my reply posting to you http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69728614&postcount=14
    here's the relevant bit:
    "On digital, when you press the text button, there is a delay of several seconds while the MHEG engine loads up the text initially."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Hmmm
    contain a few mistakes, who wrote this?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

fat-tony wrote: »
    I mentioned that there was a slight delay in loading the newer teletext in my reply posting to you http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69728614&postcount=14
    here's the relevant bit:
    "On digital, when you press the text button, there is a delay of several seconds while the MHEG engine loads up the text initially."

Thanks Tony at least I know the set is SAORVIEW compatible now.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭seanoge

These seem to be large Tvs. Are there any smaller ones out there?

seanoge wrote: »
    These seem to be large Tvs. Are there any smaller ones out there?

16" in harvey normans

http://www.harveynorman.ie/techwood-16-inch-lcd-tv.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Any idea if the LG XXLD550 series are mpeg4 compatible? Can't seem to find the information anywhere.

Thanks Elmo, but was hoping to find them with both tuners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Thanks Elmo, but was hoping to find them with both tuners.

Both ?

Yes, I believe they are out there.

Yes, I believe they are out there.

An analogue and Digital tuner or an MPEG2/MPEG4 tuner???

If it is the later MPEG4 is backwards compatible with MPEG2.

I would be surprised if that TV doesn't allow for analogue, many cable customers will still require such TVs for second TVs or even first TVs. Cable companies are not required to turn off analogue services.

Don't know if I am confusing things. Am looking for tv s. that can receive both English and Irish Sat. tv. or are they the same?

The only TVs that are combo are ones which can receive UK Freesat (via a suitably connected dish) and also allow for the reception of Irish DTT channels (via a connected aerial).

Is this what you mean ?

They only start at 32". Nothing smaller as far as I can recall.

Don't know if I am confusing things. Am looking for tv s. that can receive both English and Irish Sat. tv. or are they the same?

If you want the English channels then you will need to have a satellite STB plus your Saorview TV for the Irish channels. Saorsat might sort this out but I don't think much of the detail has been providied in relation to Saorsat. Is their a thread for Saorsat?

AFAIK STB is correct FreeSat/DTT Mpeg4 tuners are only available on TVs +32". Are you in a spillover area?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

Saw one in Powercity yesterday, was 5 hundred and something with the inbuilt Freesat tuner and MPEG4 suited to Saorview.

I imagine it's the future though and only a matter of months before there's loads of this type on sale. Only needing a rabbits ears and a dish to pick up both the Irish Digital Terr and UK Freesat on one interface without any external boxes is very neat and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I have one of those Sony KDL32V5810 and it's the bee's knees for combining Freesat and Saorview in one receiver. The advanced teletext works well also.
    I note that seanoge is looking for a smaller set, though. My one's a 32 incher, though:eek:
    A flat screen TV smaller than 19" is reeealy small as most sets are now widescreen so the picture height is much less than with an older conventional 4:3 ratio set. The monitor on my PC is a 19" widescreen and my viewing distance is about 18" - 20".

• Advertisement

nicelives wrote: »
    I imagine it's the future though and only a matter of months before there's loads of this type on sale. Only needing a rabbits ears and a dish to pick up both the Irish Digital Terr and UK Freesat on one interface without any external boxes is very neat and simple.

Don't think so - I think Sony have dropped the 5810. Trend seems to be that in the UK, you have Freeview OR Freesat but not both. So NO Pvr's have been done with both in the UK and I think only Panny are the ones with Combo TV's. Wonder what the 2011 range will have ??

Can we keep this thread for confirmation of working MPEG4 models please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

championc wrote: »
    Don't think so - I think Sony have dropped the 5810. Trend seems to be that in the UK, you have Freeview OR Freesat but not both. So NO Pvr's have been done with both in the UK and I think only Panny are the ones with Combo TV's. Wonder what the 2011 range will have ??

Can we keep this thread for confirmation of working MPEG4 models please ?

Sorry to hear that, thought that style would suit the Irish situation perfectly, they've still stock on the combo Sony in Powercity Fonthill but maybe not for long as you say

Don't think so - I think Sony have dropped the 5810. Trend seems to be that in the UK, you have Freeview OR Freesat but not both. So NO Pvr's have been done with both in the UK and I think only Panny are the ones with Combo TV's. Wonder what the 2011 range will have ???

No. That is not the trend. There have been 3 manufacturers with Combo Freesat ranges - Panasonic, LG and Sony.

Sony have discontinued this series because it does not do Freeview HD ie dvb-t2 because it does not have that tuner (only a dvb-t tuner). Thats all. DVB-T will work fine for Irish DTT.

Likewise with LG LF7700. They have discontinued that model for the same reason.

You will see new ranges of Combo's coming out next year except with "Freeview HD" and "Freesat HD" tuners. They will be considerably more expensive. Stay away from the Panasonic dvb-t/Freesat HD Combo's - they restricted the firmware and Irish DTT will not work as a result.

In the meantime if you can come by a cheap LG Lf7700 or Sony V/W 5810 or z5800 get one. They may be dumping them and they are good for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭marclt

... to discuss TV options....

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Gipo3

How does epg work on saorview and freesat compatible tv's

STB wrote: »
    Stay away from the Panasonic dvb-t/Freesat HD Combo's - they restricted the firmware and Irish DTT will not work as a result.

Sorry but Incorrect - the UK Panasonic G20B Model is Perfect (as indicated in Post #1). It's a Freeview HD and Freesat HD model. I have it and it's the best TV I've ever had. I have all Saorview Channels, MPEG5 and have Full EPG's on both Saorview and Freesat Channels.

Sorry but Incorrect - the UK Panasonic G20B Model is Perfect (as indicated in Post #1). It's a Freeview HD and Freesat HD model. I have it and it's the best TV I've ever had. I have all Saorview Channels, MPEG5 and have Full EPG's on both Saorview and Freesat Channels.

Read the post again DVB-T/Freesat Combos. All the panasonic DVB-T/Freesat Combos have been crippled by Panasonic.

As I have pointed out several times in threads where there are problems with the Panasonic Combo's it does not apply to the Freeview HD i.e. DVB-T2/Freesat Combo's i.e. the G20s. Because they have the full service types defined for mpeg4 services in the "Freeview HD" standard.

Do you understand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The LG 42LD450 seems good value as a 42" Irish DTT Compatible TV in Argos (mandatory €20 extra delivery) and PCWorld/Currys.

Is PowerCity's LG 42LD490 just the same with addition of extra HDMI port and WiFi option?
    http://powercity.ie/?brands=LG&pages=1&par=10-13

watty wrote: »
    The LG 42LD450 seems good value as a 42" Irish DTT Compatible TV in Argos (mandatory €20 extra delivery) and PCWorld/Currys.

Is PowerCity's LG 42LD490 just the same with addition of extra HDMI port and WiFi option?
    http://powercity.ie/?brands=LG&pages=1&par=10-13

The 450 has a dvb-t (mpeg4) tuner.
    The 490 has a dvb-t2 tuner (Freeview HD).

Thats the difference Watty. So yeah.... power city are stocking dvb-t2 or Freeview HD products! Ho Ho...

It is a steal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

STB wrote: »
    if you can come by a cheap LG Lf7700 or Sony V/W 5810 or z5800 get one. They may be dumping them and they are good for Ireland.

I agree with this statement 100% - both Argos & Tesco's have in the past week had some good deals on TV's that happen to be compatible with Saorview. I believe these TV's where dumped here from UK stores for not being FreeviewHD compatible, most of the savy UK customers are not willing to buy a new TV unless it's FreeviewHD. I reckon it's only a matter of time before we see some of the Sony and LG FreesatHD/freeview combo sets being dumped on the market here. I'm going to wait and grab one or two as soon as I seen them .... keeping an close eye on the bargain threads.

Advertisement