Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes...again!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Hope you're back up and running soon.
    I would say you'd be wise to take it easy for the next few days but that would would just be hypocritical coming from me...it's not as if I ever take my own advice :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Finally some running to report!

Its been a week since I last ran. Because of the bug I missed out on a 13 mile and a 15 mile training run and a couple 4 mile ones too. I really havent been able for much so there was nothing I can do about it. This afternoon's run was all about seeing if Im better and how the body is doing. Happy to report all is well:D

Had planned going on the road but no way was I going out in that rain when Im not 100% so boring old treadmill it was. I did a mile warm up at 5.5mph then 2 miles at 6.5mph then half a mile cool down at 5.5mph. Thrilled with myself. The 2 middle miles were approx 9:11 minute miles! Delighted.

Off to Cork for the day tomorrow so no running. Its just over 2 weeks to the relay and Im a bit worried as training didnt go near according to plan. I've only managed a 10, 11 and a 12.2 mile lsr. The 12.2 miles was on the 8th of May. Not sure what to do to get the best out of the next 2 weeks.

Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Next Saturday will be 9 days to go to Cork - try get in a half-marathon distance LSR then? You know you'll be good for the rest of the way on the day.

Next Saturday will be 9 days to go to Cork - try get in a half-marathon distance LSR then? You know you'll be good for the rest of the way on the day.

Thanks RK, I was thinking along the lines of that. I thought maybe 14 or 15 next Saturday but then worried that this might be too much too close to the race. Half marathon distance is wisest at this stage. Adreneline and stubbornness will get the last 3.4 miles on the day:)

tuesday 24th May

Lovely summer's evening. Happy with myself for getting out for a run after work- Im normally too tired/lazy but managed 4.2 miles in 44:41. Nice easy run. Will try do the same a bit faster tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 25th May
    Out after work again today- yeah me! I figured out that if I come in, quickly catch up on everyone's day then put on my gear and just go, the run will happen. If I sit down for a second or talk for too long then Im not going anywhere.

I had another tough day at work today- cried in front of all my colleagues. Its seriously not funny anymore, my boss thinks im a total headcase:(. The run this evening was just the medicine I needed though- 4.2 miles again, same route as yesterday evening. Slightly faster 43:38. Got soaked to the skin, hair dripping, water squelching round in my runners. I felt great!!

Friday 27th May
    Last lsr before Cork. I wanted to do everything as similar to race day as possible so up 2 hours before the run to eat the breakfast, put on my boards ac top, capris etc. Ready to face 13.1 - 14 miles depending on how I was feeling. I decided to go along the Nenagh by-pass and out the road towards Borrisokane as I'm tired of the routes around here and I wanted to avoid all the hills. Hopped in the car with everything I needed- or so I thought!! 5 minutes later I remembered I forgot my drink so I turned back and got it. 15 minutes after that I was parking my car when I realised I had left my garmin charging in the sitting room:mad::mad:. By the time I drove home I had ran out of time, there was no way I could fit the run in and be home in time to collect my daughter from school. So no run for me!!

Instead I decided to take the dog on his final long slow walk before his 3 mile sponsored dog walk on Sunday. He is used to a 2 mile route so I added a half mile in preparation for the big day. I think he is ready. He might just win:D

Saturday 28th May
    This morning was re-run of yesterday except for this time I didnt forget my garmin or drink. Felt good as I set off. I had planned 11 minute miles but knew that I was going to be slower then that. After the first mile I just got slower and slower. At times I wasnt sure if I was actually still running:o. In the end I covered 13.45 miles in 2hrs 33 minutes. God that is so slow and it worries me very much. I was over a minute per mile faster then that this time last year. I really hope race day excitement speeds me up or it could be a very disappointing day for me in Cork. On a positive note I have no niggles or injuries to report. A blister on my big toe and slightly sore hips but nothing to worry about. I also discovered a lovely river walkway that I had no idea existed. I will definitely be going back there.

Im off now to take the dog for an easy 2 miles to keep him in top shape for tomorrow :D

Had a great time at the 3mile sponsored dog walk today. It was great to see so many people and their doggies out exercising. My achilles is very sore now. It always happens when I walk a bit so hopefully it will be ok after a rest.

Summer programme is starting at work this week. This year Im getting to teach some fun things- driver theory, crochet classes and best of all Im doing Couch to 5k with my students. The look of horror on their faces when I told them:D. I wonder how successful I will be at getting 8 teenagers to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Bally8 wrote: »
    I wonder how successful I will be at getting 8 teenagers to run.

LOL That will be fun!

This week:

Monday - I covered 1.93 miles while preparing a route to bring my students on where they wouldnt be seen by any other teenagers- through the industrial estate should be safe enough. I followed Day 1 of the Couch to 5k plan. Its very easy, shouldnt be a bother to the boys who play soccer, as for the girls who dont seem to do anything Im not sure they will go for this at all. But all I can do is try.

Tuesday- Brought the gear to work. Had a meeting with the kids about our first run. Then another tutor took them and didnt finish with them until 1pm when they were finished for the day. They were delighted to wriggle out of Day 1 of running:(

Friday - Im well aware that its only a few days to the 16.5 miles in Cork. So really I should have ran a few easy runs to keep me ticking over until race day. Didnt manage any so today was going to be my last chance. Went out to do 4.2 easy. Got a bit carried away though and tried to beat my last time from this route- 9 seconds quicker. I should be happy but I know it was not clever training- I could have injured myself, shouldn't be pushing it but I wanted to remind my body that I can run faster than 11 minute miles. It was so hot, I wanted to throw up and pass out at regular intervals.

So Im heading down to Cork tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to it now, even if my preparation hasnt been the best. Its all about enjoying the weekend now, the idea of beating last years time is not going to happen but I dont mind really. I cant wait to meet some boardsies!

• Advertisement

Best of luck on Monday to both you and Mr Bally8 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I was saying on the CCM thread about us heading to Reardens, but since there seems to be a free BBQ and after party, it looks like the Sextant Bar is a better option. Best of luck, hopefully see you on Monday!

Best of luck on Monday to both you and Mr Bally8 :)

thanks RK, sorry to hear you wont be running. I hope we bump into you again though.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I was saying on the CCM thread about us heading to Reardens, but since there seems to be a free BBQ and after party, it looks like the Sextant Bar is a better option. Best of luck, hopefully see you on Monday!

Cool thanks, I will go where ever ye decide:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck on Monday Bally8 :)

Cork Marathon Relay
    The hubby and I arrived in Cork on Sunday afternoon and went straight to the expo to collect our numbers. We then went and met some friends for dinner. I knew I should eat something healthy so I had a yummy steak sandwich and chips :D. We then went to Reardans to watch the others drink while we had minerals- boy do I suffer for my sport!!

Back to the hotel room by about 11, where we are convinced our bed was a single trying to pass itself off as a double. Took me ages to fall asleep- nearly fell out of the bed a few times. Woke up every 2 hours full of excitement. Got up at 6.30 and had my instant cardboard porridge and a banana, showered and freaked out about my fuzzy hair. My brother and sister arrived at 8.30 and we all went down to start line together.

Things were a bit more frantic this year than last- we really only had time to take a few photos and then get in position then it was time to go (I think it took us longer to get to the start as we stopped at the shop on the way). I placed myself behind the 4.30 pacers while my sister went with the 4 hour guys.

Because my training hadn’t been going so well I knew I would be slower this year than last so I planned on sticking with the pacers until the first water station and seeing how I felt then. First mile was 10:02, second was 10.06 and I knew then that I wouldn’t be able to keep that up much longer. I walked for a minute at the water station so mile 3 took 10:25. I was very hot and suffering when I met my husband at about 3.5 miles. I asked him did I look hot and he said ‘you’re a bit red alright’ – not exactly what I needed to hear:D!! Next few miles went well. Water stations a plenty thank god. I had some jelly beans at 4 miles and a gel at 6.5 miles.

The first relay changeover point seemed mental- I just kept running down the middle of the road trying not to get caught up in the mayhem. It’s tough being passed out by all the fresher runners but fun to pass some of the B runners later.

Next was the tunnel. Its fun running through it. I was one of only about 5 people running along the cones, everyone else was hugging the footpath. They mustn’t have read boards!! The climb out was tough but some rain started to fall then which was lovely. I had a few slower miles then just faded and couldn’t pick up the pace. Miles 7, 8 and 9 were all around 11 minute miles – :eek: boo!! Then I met a lovely woman she was great craic and a real motivator. I ran with her for 2 miles and managed 10:19 for mile 10 and 10:16 for mile 11. The second relay change-over was nuts. People out in the middle of the road not moving, making it almost impossible to get through. I couldn’t believe that people wouldn’t step back a bit- many of those in the way were just spectators not even waiting to run!! It was crazy. Apart from that the support from the half-marathoners waiting to start was great.

Final leg was tough, I had definitely ran out of steam. Miles 12-16 were all sloooow- all about 11.20 – 11.50 minute miles- eek. I was delighted that there were plenty of water stations and the lucozade sport was a welcome boost. I know that from mile 15 to the 3rd relay change over point I was on the racing line and in the way of all the half marathon runners but sorry guys all I was thinking was ‘I’ve ran 16 miles I am not going to move over for anyone’. Probably not a popular thing for me to say but that’s what I felt at the time.

Finally I got to the 3rd change over point and met my husband there. Finished my bit in 3 hrs 8 seconds:o. 7 minutes slower than last year so I was disappointed. Mr Bally8 kicked ass and came home 5 minutes faster than last year so our team time was 4:49:20 in the end. First thing hubby said to me was ‘Why did you call me a fupping battard when you passed the wrist thing over?’ I honestly couldn’t remember what I had said and still don’t know why I did!!! He spent his first 3 miles wondering what he had done!

So there it is- epic report on a great day. I really enjoy Cork, the atmosphere, the organisation, the weather this year. I cant wait to come back next year and really kick our time’s backside.

Was delighted to meet up with Rainbow Kirby, Claralara, Shazkea, Memo, RacoonQueen, Digger and chinquetti for a few drinks later. Lovely bunch of people, was great to put faces to usernames!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nice to meet you last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Well done bally8 great report. I so get the drama re the fuzzy hair :D u did great running, u should be very proud of yourself. Laughed when I read what u said to your OH ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

First thing hubby said to me was ‘Why did you call me a fupping battard when you passed the wrist thing over?’ I honestly couldn’t remember what I had said and still don’t know why I did!!! He spent his first 3 miles wondering what he had done!

This bit made me laugh :D Well done, great run and great report too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good to meet you and Mr Bally8 on Mon and well done again on the relay.

Roll on Ennis 10km, sub 60 def in the bag for you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done missus! Sorry we didn't get to meet up on Monday night, had to hit the road back to Dublin so no session for me :( Ah well, there's always next time :)

. First thing hubby said to me was ‘Why did you call me a fupping battard when you passed the wrist thing over?’
    He spent his first 3 miles wondering what he had done!
    QUOTE]

This is soo funny! laughed out loud! :P

shazkea wrote: »
    Good to meet you and Mr Bally8 on Mon and well done again on the relay.

Roll on Ennis 10km, sub 60 def in the bag for you :D

Thanks shaz, great meeting you too. Not so sure about the sub60 at the moment- Im still hobbling around the place after Monday. But I'll give it my best effort. Just going to register for it now. Think Im getting re-addicted to this running lark!*

*or jogging quite slowly in my case:)

Today = 3.3 mile recovery run with Mr.Bally8. We set off on a run hobble/walk mile which took 12:54. Again though I got tired of the stop start nature of run/walk so off I went slowly running and my second mile was 10:53, third was 10:45 and the last 0.3 of a mile was done at 9:28 pace. Legs felt better the longer I ran.

Will rest tomorrow as Im back to work and hopefully will be recovered enough by Friday to start some speed work for the Clare 10k sub 60 attempt on the 25th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done again on Monday! Was lovely to meet you and MrBally8 for a drink. Hopefully the next one will be after your sub 60! :)

:(That sub60 is looking a bit doubtful at the moment- I was struck down again with a weird bug this week. Very similar to the one I had at the start of May but with some different symptoms. After my run on Wednesday I waited a bit to have my shower. This was a big mistake as I had got wet on the run and was cold. I couldnt warm myself all afternoon and by 5 o clock I knew I was in trouble. I was shivering and my bones were hurting and felt like lead. My stomach was very sick and I had no energy. I went to bed to try sleep it off but just lay there shivering. Things took a bit of a weird turn when my lips turned blue and my temperature went right up and I was having very bad pain in my upper back. Luckily MrBally8 is a paramedic and he took great care of me. He was a bit worried for a while as I was displaying all the symptoms of a heart attack but it passed and I'm on the mend now.

So I missed Friday's planned speed session. Today I was still a bit dizzy but couldnt put off running any longer so I decided to run on the treadmill instead of the road in case I needed to stop. No need to worry though. I had a nice 4.05 miles in 40 mins. Pusing the pace a little. An enjoyable interval session. I then did 10 minutes on the stationary bike- havent been on it in ages. I think I will start using it again and my road bike for some cross training. I did 4k I think, not sure what all the figures on the screen mean:o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

When is the 10k Bally8? Lie low for a few days and hopefully you'll bounce back quickly.

:( Oh Hope you are feeling better

Hope I haven't given you what I have :eek::(

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    When is the 10k Bally8? Lie low for a few days and hopefully you'll bounce back quickly.

Its on 25th June littlebug so I have a bit of time to get ready for it but its not the best preparation :)

Advertisement