Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less cold...then colder again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The ECM at 260 hours is lovely . ..:D:P

it is but it's only one run - and unfortunately the ecm has been flakey of late. if we get some sort of model consensus and these charts are appearing at t72 it's time to get excited. sorry Pangea i'm reverting to type :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If the cold weather is indeed coming back then I hope it does so for the ruggery buggery and electioneering season in February. I could do with a month off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

In fairness there is some good model consensus tonight. TheY all(GFS, ECM, GEM, JMA, NOGAPS) show -5 850's over us between 120-144hrs, but then they all show the high sinking south and bringing milder air back in within in 24hrs:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Which is what i suggested two days ago. The Atlantic will win this minor battle.

mike65 wrote: »
    Which is what i suggested two days ago. The Atlantic will win this minor battle.

While tonight's runs are showing the cold snap being brief they show the high sinking over us again(bringing mild air), so the Atlantic 'winning'(as in a train of lows) looks like being very unlikely TBH, high pressure will win this battle while the Atlantic doesn't even make a feeble attempt going by tonight's ECM.

Also major stratospheric warming event is taking place atm and is forecasted to intensify, expect the AO and NAO to go into extreme negative territory over the next few weeks. Looks like the atlantic may not be back with a vengeance anytime soon. Lets just hope blocking sets up in the right spots to give us a december 2010 type event :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

New Years looks interesting. Charts are still a little off on long runs even with more precise outlooks. Still....

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Latest outlook update from ME today 29/12/2010

Some clear spells will develop for Thursday night and temperatures will fall to between 1 and 6 degrees with a sharp ground frost developing in places. Friday (New Year's Eve): A cool and mostly dry day. Some sunny spells but in general a good deal of cloud and perhaps a little patchy drizzle or fog. Highest temperatures 5 to 8 degrees in light easterly breezes. Chilly Friday night with minima of zero to 4 degrees and a slight to sharp ground frost in places. Some dense pockets of fog also. Saturday (New Year's Day): A cool and mostly cloudy day with patchy drizzle. Highest temperatures 5 to 7 degrees in light easterly breezes. Temperatures falling to between +3 and -3 Saturday night, depending on cloud cover….(lowest values forecast to occur over Ulster and Leinster) with frost and fog forming. Sunday & Monday: Rather cold again with highs of just 2 to 6 degrees. Some sunny spells but mostly cloudy with a little showery rain about. Overnight fog patches persisting. Tuesday (4th Jan): Cold and windy with rain extending southwards turning to sleet/snow over high ground. Outlook Wed to Fri next week: Cold with wintry showers. Considerable wind chill effect from a biting northerly wind. Sharp to severe night frosts returning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

06Z GFS

nps0ll.png

Operational run has very good ensemble support on a colder spell starting on Jan 1. Pretty much all ensemble members showing -5 or colder upper temps for Dublin by Jan 3. Mean looks to be about -7.

From around Jan 5 then, as you'd expect, a lot of uncertainty. The op run wants to keep things very cold in FI, hugging the -10 line with no let up in sight, but it doesn't have much support from the ensembles. Still though, from Jan 1 onwards the mean never gets back to how mild it is now, staying below positive almost all the time.

No Atlantic blowtorch from the GFS this morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

The next cold period in general will begin on Saturday with night time temperatures down to -6 or -7c in some places and daytime temperatures struggling above freezing. Severe forst and icy patches will develope again. It should turn slightly milder for a time early next week though before the real fun kicks off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

ITs 10.2 degrees in blanch d15 atm very very mild

• Advertisement

I think day time temps will be a messy few degree's on the wrong side of positive for cold/snow lovers if that mini period develops.
    Theres no fun in a bit of sleety rain showers.

After that it's FI, so wishfull thinking, we could easily have a high over us bringing in mucky drizzle,dank overcast conditions and some fog in the returning atlantic air travelling around the high.
    Whilst Amsterdam and perhaps Kent gets the proper cold.
    Thats not saying a Northeasterly won't eventually develop.
    Expect delays is all when relying on FI.

As for the ME update..expect that to change for better or worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Latest GFS not showing any clear signs that severe cold is on the cards for ireland in the next 10 days.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Latest GFS not showing any clear signs that severe cold is on the cards for ireland in the next 10 days.

mike65 will be out in the lashing rain enjoying his beloved Atlantic...

gfs-0-372.png?12

FI is FI, 18Z will show something different anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Joe B refers to this toing and froing for Ireland and Uk for the remainder of the winter

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp?partner=accuweather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D Not really, I just have this thing about heating bills (and frozen pipes!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Joe B refers to this toing and froing for Ireland and Uk for the remainder of the winter

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp?partner=accuweather

Thanks, but jeez, what an awful load of waffle... is there any substance buried in there ? I switched off about a third in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Not wrote: »
    Thanks, but jeez, what an awful load of waffle... is there any substance buried in there ? I switched off about a third in.

He talks an awful lot of sh!te at times . . .:pac:

ECM out 168hrs is as good as it gets really!

141196.GIF

I wonder if the ECM is picking up on the ongoing stratospheric warming which may aid blocking. Lets see what the rest of the run brings.

EDIT:

Deja-vu anybody?

EDIT 2:

141199.GIF

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

:D

ECM1-192.GIF?29-0

Opr

It's mainly a northerly/Northwesterly so lots of snow possibilities for Donegal down to Cork but not much if anything further east and a drought for the southeast...pretty much like the first half of the last spell except not as cold so more marginality..coastal parts see'ing sleety rain etc.

I wouldn't worry though if it's snow you want and you are in the East.
    Plenty of room for change given it's all FI.

• Advertisement

There would be all sorts of mesoscale features in such a flow. In fact there is prolonged snow across the country at 216hrs. It's no good looking at potential upper temperatures at this point or preciptation potential. The overall trend synoptically is back towards much colder weather towards the middle of next week with frost, ice and snow returning. In what quantities we don't know yet but there is a good chance of a 3rd severe cold period of the Winter. Really from Saturday we are on the downward slope in terms of temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 snowlover

Hi I am from Meath and have only recently become very interested in this cold we have been experiencing. I have no idea how to read these charts but find all the comments so interesting. In fact I would go as far as to say I have become somewhat obsessed with the weather lately :) Is there any chance we will see again what happened late November / early December in Meath. Never seen so much snow in Meath and have lived here for 10 years.:)

Absolutely pointless & silly to ponder over exact locations where snow may fall and if upper air temps will be marginal or not when you are looking at charts 144+ hours away that are going to be different, perhaps massively, by the time we get there. Thats without even taking consideration potential for events like polar lows that the models might miss entirely anyway.... :confused:

FI was about 48 hours at times during the last cold spell remember!

I think the important thing to focus on is the trend rather than anything else at this stage...

*Has visions of posts like 'Hey, you experts told me it was going to snow in X last week but I'm getting nothing?'*

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

darkman2 wrote: »
    There would be all sorts of mesoscale features in such a flow. In fact there is prolonged snow across the country at 216hrs. It's no good looking at potential upper temperatures at this point or preciptation potential. The overall trend synoptically is back towards much colder weather towards the middle of next week with frost, ice and snow returning. In what quantities we don't know yet but there is a good chance of a 3rd severe cold period of the Winter. Really from Saturday we are on the downward slope in terms of temperature.

Hey Darkman2,

I am going on my gut feeling here, however I think the novelty of snow has now gone for most people and if we enter a third severe cold spell with more snow, the majority of sound minded people will lose their f**king reason! :D

Do you honestly think there is a good chance of snow coming back to these shores?

Absolutely pointless & silly to ponder over exact locations where snow may fall and if upper air temps will be marginal or not when you are looking at charts 144+ hours away that are going to be different, perhaps massively, by the time we get there. Thats without even taking consideration potential for events like polar lows that the models might miss entirely anyway.... :confused:

FI was about 48 hours at times during the last cold spell remember!

I think the important thing to focus on is the trend rather than anything else at this stage...

*Has visions of posts like 'Hey, you experts told me it was going to snow in X last week but I'm getting nothing?'*

The discussion is only on potential on a chart this far out,thats all it ever is and theres no doubt that in a northwesterly,the greatest potential for precipitaion is the west from Donegal down to mainly west cork including at times the city.
    The northwesterly at the start of our last cold spell is a prime example-who got the snow then,remind me please?
    Not a whole lot south of Louth or East of the midlands or in the southeast anyway or Dublin.
    Other areas can get the left overs or a smaller percentage of what the west gets depending on features that develop but as for convection,this has been proven in a nw flow not to survive too well travelling over the eventually chilly land mass of Ireland.
    So excitement for the west in that ecm trend should it verify anything like that and potentially a dry cold major disappointment for the east and south east or relatively so.
    More marginality this time too as atlantic convection needs much deeper cold and this for now looks to be less cold than our previos shot from that direction.
    Ergo disappointment and sleety rain on coasts in the west and southwest too,I would think with the limited information we have to go on at this stage.

All this could change of course.

derekon wrote: »
    Hey Darkman2,

I am going on my gut feeling here, however I think the novelty of snow has now gone for most people and if we enter a third severe cold spell with more snow, the majority of sound minded people will lose their f**king reason! :D

Do you honestly think there is a good chance of snow coming back to these shores?

We wont be able to tell that until 5-7 days time.

But remember M.T said this was coming back before christmas, long before the models hinted at it, but we mere mortals wont know till a weeks time about snowfall amounts and location. Meanwhile the stratospheric warming continues to intensify, this may lead to major northern blocking in a few weeks time.

Yesterday i posted about the AO going staying very negative due to the strat warming event, and look, GFS thinks so too:

141204.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Absolutely pointless & silly to ponder over exact locations where snow may fall

Question:
    But I will have to go to *insert random, pointless event* on *insert date one week out* in *insert random location* and I'm terrified of driving in the snow, should I cancel and stay at home?

Answer:
    Yes, absolutely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    We wont be able to tell that until 5-7 days time.

But remember M.T said this was coming back before christmas, long before the models hinted at it, but we mere mortals wont know till a weeks time about snowfall amounts and location. Meanwhile the stratospheric warming continues to intensify, this may lead to major northern blocking in a few weeks time.

Yesterday i posted about the AO going staying very negative due to the strat warming event, and look, GFS thinks so too:

141204.gif

Thanks for the clarification Beasterly. I think we could all do with a decent break from that awful cold weather we have had (I mean a few weeks break at this stage). Hopefully the models will tend to a milder scenario. However, I doubt it. My fear is that with the end of November and all of December being so cold in Ireland, we will be in for it for January and February. These are after all our coldest months so I have no doubt there will be more snow for Ireland during the rest of the winter :eek:

derekon wrote: »
    Hey Darkman2,

Yes. A good chance. Cannot be specific yet on precisely timing or locations but from midweek next week is a good bet.

• Advertisement

Inland away from the shores with ecm in early FI alright maybe but two gfs runs in a row would not agree.
    Next wenesday the 18z gfs tonight would have us awfully mild and awfully wet...

490a8.png

Advertisement