Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Just been confirmed that Casement Aerodrome has smashed its long standing record low(-13.8 in Dec 1961) by at least 1-2C this morning:eek::eek:
    Casement now at -12c, this should be a new record for the coldest DAY ever in Ireland. The previous record was during the week in Cavan at -9.9c but that didn't last long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

last night was the coldest so far here in north leinster , didnt go out this morning untill 11 am yet it was still only - 8

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thoscon

this morning in navan was the coldest ive ever experienced.-13.5 at 9.45

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

irishbird wrote: »
    beautiful blue skys in bray

cold though - doesnt look like much of a thaw

i got a weather station for christmas, so will be setting that up when i get back ot finglas

Just about to head down the seafront to walk the dogs. Looks magical doesn't it. :D

With the thaw imminent, I am starting to realise that maybe it wasn't such a bad thing that Bray didn't get anywhere near the amount that everywhere else outside a 3 mile zone around Bray got :D After all, roofs, hedges, paths and roads are still white whether they have 3 or 23 inches on them :D

We'll have a full thaw by Monday I imagine with very little ponding or flooding except when the rain is actually falling and the snow melting whereas things could get very messy indeed for other areas which will last for days and days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm seeing the occasional block of ice flowing down the liffey beside the East Link bridge! Astonishing

In Sligo you can see the fag end of the Atlantic frozen over :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69729290&postcount=17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

we had an offical white xmas,
    it had a little shower

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭beatrice33

Happy Xmas to all in the Weather forum!

I missed the snowmaggedon because I am spending the hols in Spain. I REALLY hope we get a second round of the white stuff after New Years!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Merry Christmas all !

Is it snowing heavily around Portlaoise, Mountmellick and Newbridge, or is Raintoday on the blink ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Not wrote: »
    Merry Christmas all !

Is it snowing heavily around Portlaoise, Mountmellick and Newbridge, or is Raintoday on the blink ?

The latter unfortunatly:(;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The latter unfortunatly:(;)

Probably fog !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

-11 c in Thurles Tipperary last night.
    Weather conditions were clear and almost no breeze.
    It was -11 c at 00.26 hours.

This afternoon temperature is -3c and weather conditions are clear with no breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

in order for it to be ( technicallly ) a white xmas , does it have to be snowing or does snow on the ground suffice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

AWH THIS THREAD IS NEARLY AT A MILLION VIEWS!

COME ON PEOPLE WE CAN DO THIS!! :D:D

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

-8 here last night N Dublin.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Wow - the warm air is really racing for us, already up to 6C along the South Coast:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Not wrote: »
    Merry Christmas all !

Beautiful blue sky's in Newbridge with a temp of -4.6

So much for this cold air putting up a little bit of a fight !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Happy Christmas all.

The past 4 weeks on the Weather have been a great distraction to the **** that's been going on in our country. It's times like these that I feel the Irish community are the closest and warmest in the world, no joke.

Thanks all for the posts and pictures, hope to see you all again in the new year :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    sweet:D what kind of weather station?

its a Watson W-8681 :D

just back from bray beach - there is some heat in the sun - i went back to the car because i thought i was getting sunburnt :cool:

there was a kid screaming that he didnt want to put his coat on cos he was roasting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

birdnuts, cant be that quick moving with the high temps........ -5 degrees at 2pm in Dublin. Thats the coldest afternoon temperature to date here !

Temp set to drop to -12 around Ireland tonight so dont think the thaw is on until tomorrow. At that stage dont mind as christmas is over :). Brilliant white christmas and snow beers !

looks like there is cold forecast from Wednesday on again ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Was just talking to a friend in south Kerry. Their water tank began filling again a short while ago. Let the thaw commence. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

birdnuts, cant be that quick moving with the high temps........ -5 degrees at 2pm in Dublin. Thats the coldest afternoon temperature to date here !

Temp set to drop to -12 around Ireland tonight so dont think the thaw is on until tomorrow. At that stage dont mind as christmas is over :). Brilliant white christmas and snow beers !

looks like there is cold forecast from Wednesday on again ??

He is correct it is 6c on south western regions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like much of inland and eastern Ulster, Leinster will not see the thaw commence until tomorrow evening, with temps only rising to 1/2 by tomorrow at 6pm, freezing rain should create an interesting landscape before the snow melts.

It is going to be manky come Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Red awareness level for all of Ireland for tomorrow, the only country on Meteoalarm with red.

map.php?iso=IE&data=1&rnd=1293288414

Remember folks, freezing rain, snow turning to heavy rain and melting snow/slush will make walking/driving conditions very bad tomorrow. Not a day to be going anyware. Stay inside and nibble on the leftovers. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

redsunset wrote: »
    He is correct it is 6c on south western regions

true, feels really balmy here. Of course it could be the bottles of heineken in me too :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Its +4c here in South Kerry and the thaw is underway, the snow is gone from crunchy to slushy and the nice coating on the trees is gone also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

In Murrisk (5 miles west of Westport, Co. Mayo) for the holidays. Winds SSE, some high clouds evident (Cirrus etc.) also bits of Cumulus. Above freezing I reckon. Can hear dripping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Chucky Our Larr

Merry Christmas all! :D

The icicles are dripping now, although the snow is as high as ever in deep South Dublin.

-10 at Casement and +6 at Valentia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

irishh_bob wrote: »
    in order for it to be ( technicallly ) a white xmas , does it have to be snowing or does snow on the ground suffice

Snow Falling :D

God Im dreading this thaw :(

• Advertisement

25 December 2010 16:23

Tomorrow

It will be a dry start to St. Stephens Day in the east of the country but it will be wet and windy in the west, and these condition will spread to all parts during the day. The rain will be preceded by freezing rain in many places and there will be further snow during the afternoon, especially in the north. This freezing rain will produce black ice in many places and will make driving and walking conditions dangerous. There will be some snow melt and coupled with the heavy rain there will be some local spot flooding. Highest temperatures of 3 to 8 degrees.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement