Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

.......and there was me hoping we'd get a blizzard in Cork before the rain set in. Rumour has it that this mildness is only temporary that the real snow is coming in late December, early January. Here's hoping anyway considering we got so little this year in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Ali Babba wrote: »
    .......and there was me hoping we'd get a blizzard in Cork before the rain set in. Rumour has it that this mildness is only temporary that the real snow is coming in late December, early January. Here's hoping anyway considering we got so little this year in Cork.

Illustrates the massive heating capacity of the Atlantic - it can dismiss weeks worth of record breaking cold and snow over Ireland in a matter of hours:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

John.Icy wrote: »
    Listen, will people stop saying there having a white Christmas, your not having a real one, a fake one..

A true white Christmas means snow falling in the 24 hours of the 25th of December....

Merry Christmas everyoe, and enjoy your "Faux" White Christmas ;)

Hush your mouth! :mad: If this was a soap and I sometimes think it is, saying something like that means that we will get 24 hours worth of snow today packed into 23 hours.

Now -15C at Claremorris and -11C @ Casement. I wonder can we get records broken for these stations later this morning which be a "cool" way to end this magic spell of winter weather??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

No posts here in 25mins !! Jeeez it's been a long week. A pleasure spending it with ye all. Merry Christmas.

-16.3. Brrrrrrrrr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

So, do you think that's it after 'the thaw' or will there be another cold snap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

its +20 here in drimcondra

• Registered Users Posts: 36 a1m1m1o1

Morning everyone on boards .Hope everyone has a merry Xmas :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Happy Xmas everyone.

I have really enjoyed both reading and contributing to this thread over the past few weeks.

The excitiement of logging on to see where it has been snowing around the country and how people are dealing with it has been really great.

I got a funny feeling this ain't the end of the snow.............:D

Have a great day now!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

A merry Christmas to all!! The snow is so deep here in West Dublin..unreal...TWO FEET IN THE GARDEN!!! Temperature - 10 in Castleknock but + 4 apparently in Kerry and the South West!! milder weather on its way:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Back to the "Emerald" Isle by tonight, according to this:

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/heatmap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

positron wrote: »
    Back to the "Emerald" Isle by tonight, according to this:

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/heatmap

yup, big change on the way, only to go back to freezing weather again next week. lovely.

merry christmas every body

The record at Casement must have went this morning given the reading of -15C @0900:eek::)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭paulclan

I have had some water coming and down the walls as the sun shone on part of the roof valleys. I have several valleys and got out on the roof last evening and shovelled must have been a ton off each valley,
    When the thaw comes ice will block the outlets and cause the water to come over the lead flashings in valleys and perhaps flt roofs and parapet valleys.As this is such an unusual event many houses lack the snow board grids that were once in place in older properties.
    Here is a link which applies not just to flat roofs:
    http://chestofbooks.com/architecture/House-Construction/1-Flat-Roofs-Continued.html

Beware the thaw! you may have a few days yet to begin to clear the roof areas, but the problem will mostly arise when reisdual ice blocks channels and gulleys rainwater pipes etc.Sorry to bother you all, but have a look if you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Maybe the thaw is due to all the ovens around the country being on full whack all morning and afternoon for the Christmas dinner! :)

Happy Christmas all - it's been great following these threads.

Just been confirmed that Casement Aerodrome has smashed its long standing record low(-13.8 in Dec 1961) by at least 1-2C this morning:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

Nollaig Shona Duit - from a white wexford :):) first time we had snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

-11 in the shade in Aughrim Co. Wicklow about half hour ago. Careful if driving. If sun hasn't hit the road theres liable to be very icy bits around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Merry Crimbo folks.

One note. Watch out for icicles hanging from houses, I just removed the biggest icicles I've ever seen from mine. They could be dangerous if they fall..

wow, this thaw is coming fast. temp according to my weather station 0oC havent seen that in over a week.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

beautiful blue skys in bray

cold though - doesnt look like much of a thaw

i got a weather station for christmas, so will be setting that up when i get back ot finglas

irishbird wrote: »
    beautiful blue skys in bray

cold though - doesnt look like much of a thaw

i got a weather station for christmas, so will be setting that up when i get back ot finglas

sweet:D what kind of weather station?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Merry Christmas everyone. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Still no thaw whatsover in Dublin 18, -6 degrees, unbelievable amounts of snow and sun is having zero impact. Lovin it

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Merry christmas everyone. Isn't it beautiful to look out the window on xmas day and see the place covered in snow with sun shining :) Bloody cold out though. Enjoy your xmas dinner everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

steveLFC24 wrote: »
    Merry christmas everyone. Isn't it beautiful to look out the window on xmas day and see the place covered in snow with sun shining :) Bloody cold out though. Enjoy your xmas dinner everyone.

Im in Cork for Xmas, this is not snow, I swear im so missing my East Coast proper snow right now !!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭smileyme1984

Happy Christmas to everyone!

Thanks for providing the most addictive thread this year! It's been epic following it all.

I'm off out to enjoy the snow before it starts to go (for this event anyway:D), although it was -11 here a few hours ago in Mayo so might be here for a while more....
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Im in Meath too, no water for 5 days now, have my own well, pipes frozen in ground somewhere (not above ground or in Well house). Its been above 0c for 3 days during the day time in a row.. just how long above 0 or how many degrees above 0 do we need to defrost frozen underground piping?

Any point in removing the icy old snow grass cover (last snow here over 2wks ago) from where I think the pipe runs in the garden?

In Kells back at my parents since yesterday. Water has been fine. Up until this morning. Pipes to the well are frozen. No shop open to buy some.
    Mother stressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

irish1967 wrote: »
    No posts here in 25mins !! Jeeez it's been a long week. A pleasure spending it with ye all. Merry Christmas.

-16.3. Brrrrrrrrr.

my (new ) weather station only registered -7.1 last night how come its so cold down there ?
    water main froze this morning though

merry christmas people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm seeing the occasional block of ice flowing down the liffey beside the East Link bridge! Astonishing

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement