Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

-5 now at Dublin Airport!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I wonder what actually is the likelihood of freezing rain happening? It seems that a certain set of circumstances need to be in place for this to happen but i'm not sure if they will all be there tomorrow. Are Met Eireann over estimating the likelihood of this happening???

It's not just ME. UKMO put out a warning earlier today for NI saying "widespread ice is expected to form" tomorrow. Evelyn even mentioned the UKMO warning during the TV forecast, which is unusual.

Even though air temps will rise, the ground will still be cold.

All areas won't see freezing rain, but quite a few places probably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Some photos of how the big freeze has impacted on Lough Derg on the Shannon. Locals believe it to be as bad as the big freeze in 1963.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmolamphy/5291591640/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmolamphy/5290988759/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well it certainly was a memorable xmas day, instead of our usual xmas walk along the river bank today we actually walked on it! it was like being in lapland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

+4 c now here in Kerry, a thaw is underway but it will take several days as it only miniscule. My reduced water pressure from this morning is back to full power but it created nightmares for Mammy as the Dishwasher was out of commission until it came back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

It's not just ME. UKMO put out a warning earlier today for NI saying "widespread ice is expected to form" tomorrow. Evelyn even mentioned the UKMO warning during the TV forecast, which is unusual.

Even though air temps will rise, the ground will still be cold.

All areas won't see freezing rain, but quite a few places probably will.

Unlikely to happen in Waterford i would think as temps are on the rise here already, currently +1.2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Very wild temperature swings here outside Durrow today and tonight...

11.00am -10.0c
    1.50pm -5.0c
    2.50pm -3.0c
    3.30pm -5.0c
    4.15pm -6.0c
    5.00pm -7.0c
    8.30pm -8.0c
    9.10pm -8.7c
    9.30pm -2.9c :eek:
    10.10pm -7.0c
    10.25pm -7.3c
    10.55pm -2.4c :eek:

Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

fryup wrote: »
    well it certainly was a memorable xmas day, instead of our usual xmas walk along the river bank today we actually walked on it! it was like being in lapland

I hope it wasn't deep as that is quite a dangerous thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Danno wrote: »

11.00am -10.0c
    1.50pm -5.0c
    2.50pm -3.0c
    3.30pm -5.0c
    4.15pm -6.0c
    5.00pm -7.0c
    8.30pm -8.0c
    9.10pm -8.7c
    10.10pm -7.0c
    10.25pm -7.3c

Amazing.

Do u have a chart on ur page Dan for this?... i miss havin my station connected to a pc! :(

Unlikely to happen in Waterford i would think as temps are on the rise here already, currently +1.2c.

Thats the air temperature though. It's the very cold surface temps that could cause the buildup of ice.

All areas won't experience freezing rain though, and since Waterford was protected by a snow shield during the most recent snow then I'd expect the freezing rain shield will be deployed tomorrow. :pac: :p

Last winter, freezing rain had people crawling on their hands and knees in Yorkshire! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_yorkshire/8458613.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I must admit, I'm looking out my window at the deep snow lying there, the ice flos down the Liffey and feel a little sad, maybe in my lifetime I'll never see such conditions in the city centre again.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Danno wrote: »

11.00am -10.0c
    1.50pm -5.0c
    2.50pm -3.0c
    3.30pm -5.0c
    4.15pm -6.0c
    5.00pm -7.0c
    8.30pm -8.0c
    9.10pm -8.7c
    10.10pm -7.0c
    10.25pm -7.3c

Amazing.

I notice similar for Oak park, around 5pm it was -8 then later it was -5 and now its -9C.
    It's not sure what to do.

Supercell wrote: »
    I must admit, I'm looking out my window at the deep snow lying there, the ice flos down the Liffey and feel a little sad, maybe in my lifetime I'll never see such conditions in the city centre again.

Better to have snowed and lost than never to have snowed at all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Do u have a chart on ur page Dan for this?... i miss havin my station connected to a pc! :(

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=ICOLAOIS2

Scroll down the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Temperatures on the rise, no heat on and the fire burned out. I must have been burning 1/2 bag of coal a day recently and the oil tank might as well have a hole in it.

Its all fun and games but it must be costing me €10 a day in heating fuel.

Min wrote: »
    I notice similar for Oak park, around 5pm it was -8 then later it was -5 and now its -9C.
    It's not sure what to do.

Temps rising under cloud cover then lowering again as it clears?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Maybe you will though, in January. :D

Temps rising under cloud cover then lowering again as it clears?

Probably, the main reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Meteoalarm has Ireland in red for snow/ice. Only bit of red on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

michaelm wrote: »
    Some photos of how the big freeze has impacted on Lough Derg on the Shannon. Locals believe it to be as bad as the big freeze in 1963.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmolamphy/5291591640/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmolamphy/5290988759/
    all I see is an idiot standing on the partially frozen lake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Only popped above the zero mark for a very short spell in nearly a whole week ,
    Im kinda used to it now ,

OutsideTempHistory.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

all I see is an idiot standing on the partially frozen lake.

Thats a female idiot so:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Stinicker wrote: »
    +4 c now here in Kerry, a thaw is underway but it will take several days as it only miniscule. My reduced water pressure from this morning is back to full power but it created nightmares for Mammy as the Dishwasher was out of commission until it came back.

Believe me, it's too cold to run a dishwasher. We tryed it here after the Christmas dinner and the f'ing drain froze solid dispite being pumped with warm water :eek::eek::eek::eek:. Kind of an omen for what might happen tomorrow. Drains freezing solid leaving surface melt water/rain water with nowhere to go...

Dont know what temp is is here now, as the temp sensor is after giving up at -12 :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Alot of people said that back in January, however I am predicting January 2011 will bite us in the ass just like Jan 2010 did; with a final polar showdown sometime in early March. The climate goes in ebbs and cycles if we were alive in the 1700's and 1800's what we are experiencing now would be a part of everyday winter life.

Ireland is at a similar latitude to Edmonton in Canada and they experience this sort of cold every year, often down to -40c and yet they get even hotter summers than us. The gulf stream is the bane of Ireland giving us a horrid climate year round, some decent cold and proper heat is what I'd prefer and if I never again saw a drop of rain I'd die a happy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Stinicker wrote: »
    Alot of people said that back in January, however I am predicting January 2011 will bite us in the ass just like Jan 2010 did; with a final polar showdown sometime in early March. The climate goes in ebbs and cycles if we were alive in the 1700's and 1800's what we are experiencing now would be a part of everyday winter life.

Ireland is at a similar latitude to Edmonton in Canada and they experience this sort of cold every year, often down to -40c and yet they get even hotter summers than us. The gulf stream is the bane of Ireland giving us a horrid climate year round, some decent cold and proper heat is what I'd prefer and if I never again saw a drop of rain I'd die a happy man.

Have a feeling we could see a lot of slack boring high pressure in Jan:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Its really nice looking outside at the moment seeing the frost and snow glistening in the night, its amazing to think that in a few days it will be all gone and even more spectacular is that we have the foresight to know this , thanks to modern weather apparatus. Imagine years ago not knowing when the Greenland express would arrive or leave.

Last week we were waiting in awe of the Greenland express charging its way to the Emerald Isle, sadly the Atlantic express is just about to arrive but Im fairly confident that we havent seen the last of the snow and cold. A truly remarkable month weatherwise that Il remember for the rest of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,998 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Having experienced what freezing rain can do to the roads and footpaths today, I certainly do not envy anyone venturing out tomorrow if they get freezing rain. Snow is much less dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Same here - our usual cold spells will seem puny from now on:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Kev_tag

Check out the temperature change in D12:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭kingshankly

fryup wrote: »

what an incredibly stupid thing to do

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement