Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭arctictree

Mad big threads here!

Anyway, glad to see lots of people getting what we get here most years!

Tomorrow looks a bit scary for my location. BTW, Day 28 here of lying snow. -5.0c ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

redsunset wrote: »
    He is correct it is 6c on south western regions

4C at Mace Head in west connemara :) the thaw has been on most of the afternoon here :) let it thaw let it thaw let it thaw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Not looking forward to this thaw at all. Wish snow would just disappear or some shít.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not looking forward to this thaw at all. Wish snow would just disappear or some shít.

dont worry the snow is gonna melt at an unreal pace tomorrow. I have seen it before in the 80s. The heat that comes from the atlantic can never be under-estimated. I have seen a foot of snow melt in 4 hours before by Atlantic air and the similiar could happen in some places tomorrow. Most places will be 8C over the next 24 hours, thats quite a tempature increase on current levels.

Having said all that, this relatively mild air will only be temporary. Im expecting another 2 or 3 very cold spells between now and mid April.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Gonzo wrote: »
    Having said all that, this relatively mild air will only be temporary. Im expecting another 2 or 3 very cold spells between now and mid April.

I agree. Weve seen records been broken this winter already so who knows what we will see in the usually colder/snowier month of January. The way things have gone so far this Nov/Dec shows that just about anything is possible now for January.

MTC warned us in his long range winter forecast that this could be an epic winter. That has already been verified, but an even stronger verification may have yet to arrive...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

-11 at Dub Airport @ 6pm.

What is the record min for Dub Airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

A few pictures of the barrow frozen in Graiguenamangh, Co. Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Will the raising of temperature in the next 24-36 hours significantly increase the ground temperatures at all. Will any rain soak into the frozen ground?

Oh and Happy Xmas

Cionád wrote: »
    -11 at Dub Airport @ 6pm.

What is the record min for Dub Airport?

Amazing to see -11 and +6 recorded at the same time in Ireland. What a range.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Amazing to see -11 and +6 recorded at the same time in Ireland. What a range.

So true - for a country with a temperate climate. We really shouldn't be having that range of temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    So true - for a country with a temperate climate. We really shouldn't be having that range of temperatures.

it totally proves just how warm that atlantic keeps us normally. without the Atlantic influence we are barely any milder than Norway/Sweden

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭maxextz

-11 here in dublin:eek: never seen it that low.
    icicles on the gutters over 3 foot long.wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Less than 10,000 more views till this thread hits 1,000,000 views. Now that's what I call a MEGATHREAD !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

irish1967 wrote: »
    Less than 10,000 more views till this thread hits 1,000,000 views. Now that's what I call a MEGATHREAD !!

have to say im addicted to this thread too;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

maxextz wrote: »
    -11 here in dublin:eek: never seen it that low.
    icicles on the gutters over 3 foot long.wtf

-11.5 in Terenure now. Icicles almost 6 feet long from the gutters (worried the whole lot will come crashing down) with more or less tree trunk girth at the stems.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭maxextz

Not wrote: »
    -11.5 in Terenure now. Icicles almost 6 feet long from the gutters (worried the whole lot will come crashing down) with more or less tree trunk girth at the stems.

just break them off like i did with a brush out the window.they might fall off and nail somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

the temps were at a "high" of 0.2C according to my weather station. felt "warm" enough to go down to my nieghbour in my sandles. :P although still had to get a spin down to the house due to the ice being lethal on the entire length of the footpath

just break them off like i did with a brush out the window.they might fall off and nail somebody.

Final-destination-movie-poster-small.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

love to see a pic of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

-10.7 in Dundalk last night and looking good to break that record tonight !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Thanks for the good advice,but at this stage the gutters and down pipe joins are part of them ! Completely encased. Very reluctant to do any poking. And they would have to be on part of the house where there isn't an opening window to access them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

gonna get real windy tonight. wind nice to hear some wind rattling the windows during the night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Was out and about today in mid Louth,warmest showing on the dashboard was -4.5 and as of 10 minutes ago it was -15.5 :eek:,1km from the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

Blowing a gale in Cork, was up to 5 degrees earlier when I was out.

Precip approaching the Mayo coast on radar. Don't think the models were showing any precip around there for this time?

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Dew point temps are still 0 or below over there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Ali Babba wrote: »
    Blowing a gale in Cork, was up to 5 degrees earlier when I was out.

Your getting the winds early there :eek: its dead calm here in Waterford City and -2.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

Gonzo wrote: »
    it totally proves just how warm that atlantic keeps us normally. without the Atlantic influence we are barely any milder than Norway/Sweden

You have to remember, the Atlantic keeps Scandinavia quite mild too. Normal winter minima there are only in the -10 to -15 range which is exceptionally mild for that latitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The amazing thing about all this cold weather is if I look at the temperature and see it at -2C, I'm actually happy it's that "mild" :o

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Is this cold snap because of the gulf stream being further south than normal or is that just one of the factors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Thanks for the good advice,but at this stage the gutters and down pipe joins are part of them ! Completely encased. Very reluctant to do any poking. And they would have to be on part of the house where there isn't an opening window to access them :rolleyes:

Basketball or football ftw. Lash it at them!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement