Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Is this coming to an end of the clod spell or is it just a short break thaw ?

It could be a short break like the last time, before it starts to get cold again by the end of next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

It could be a short break like the last time, before it starts to get cold again by the end of next week

F**k sake. At the start I was excited, sick of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Right, so now that everyone has got everywhere they need to be, when do we get the next pasting? Stephens Day. Bring it on. Nothing else to do then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

this Thread is not far away from a million views :)

thanks to the snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

If this weather keeps up I will have to take out loans to pay for the kerosene...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There is one benefit to this weather - eco-friendly beer cooling. Got several bottles of Budvar just chilling out in the snow in the back garden. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Is this coming to an end of the clod spell or is it just a short break thaw ?

There will be some kind of a thaw from the 26th onwards but just how much and for how long is unknown yet.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see another cold spell early in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

been -12C in East Clare the past 2 nights now and our water supply from the well has frozen - been collecting from the stream in buckets which is a drag, but hey...still got electricity/heat/internet... And gas if we tip hot water on the gas bottle...
    Opened a bail of haylage earlier for the ponies which was like a massive haylage-ice lolly - poor sods

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

When will everyone stop calling them cold spells and just say WINTER?
    How much of an increase in temperature is needed overall to thaw underground pipes etc.?
    The river in the town is completely frozen, strangest thing ever.
    Happy Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Are we looking at a risk of an Ice Storm with Freezing Rain when this warm front hits the cold air mass over Ireland ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

-10 in laois at moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

When will everyone stop calling them cold spells and just say WINTER?
    How much of an increase in temperature is needed overall to thaw underground pipes etc.?
    The river in the town is completely frozen, strangest thing ever.
    Happy Christmas

Underground pipes could be a problem, heat has to work down through the perma frost. it may or may not happen before the next cold spell. My neighbour across the way has no imcoming water where we all have, I have no water (pipe frozen) to the ensuite but can use alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

ESB still out in Clare galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

DominoDub wrote: »
    Are we looking at a risk of an Ice Storm with Freezing Rain when this warm front hits the cold air mass over Ireland ?

Possibly, possible that it will bring power cuts so get that gas light etc ready. The weight of frozen rain on power lines is such that they do come down, heard this rain will be accompanied by strong winds so it will set up nicely IMO for this senario.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Its funny the way any sort of breeze even as low as 3km/h can stop the temp dropping. Its only really when its completely calm that it will drop again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stripeycoaster

kenmc wrote: »
    Right, so now that everyone has got everywhere they need to be, when do we get the next pasting? Stephens Day. Bring it on. Nothing else to do then anyway.

All this excitement about extreme weather is understandable. I just want to make the point that not everyone has gotten to where they need to be.

In Frankfurt today, I spoke to a couple trying to get home with Aer Lingus since Monday. Stranded. Another guy, about 21, was en route from Australia to surprise his family for Christmas. Stranded. They were just a few of many.

I'm not saying that DAA, Aer Lingus or anyone else could have done more to get flights in the air, but they could perhaps be a bit more honest. The perception created today that everything is dandy again is largely spin, designed to cover asses and protect market share in a very competitive business.

As for airlines using websites to update people. Not much use to people stuck in a queue where mobile internet roaming charges are prohibitive and airport internet kiosks swallow euros at an alarming rate. Yesterday at Aer Lingus cancelled all flights after 4pm. 3.5 hours later in Frankfurt, staff (subcontracted from Bosnian Airlines I think) started to sort of admit that the flight back to Dublin would not be running, because no plane had come out. They didn't actually announce this, just herded us into a corner and started giving out hotel info. If trying to fly at the moment, you basically need a support team back home with access to internet and RTE etc. to let you know what is going on, and to rebook you as soon as you get some sort of a semi-straight answer regarding whether your flight is going or not.

An awful lot of people are very far from where they want to be tonight, and airlines slapping themselves on the back for achieving what they have, and DAA and Ryanair playing politics over it all, gives them little consolation.

I'm not asking for sympathy or a miracle; just don't be fooled into thinking that because 'Dublin airport is operating at full capacity today', everyone who bought a ticket in or out of that place is having a happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Fiskar wrote: »
    Underground pipes could be a problem, heat has to work down through the perma frost. it may or may not happen before the next cold spell. My neighbour across the way has no imcoming water where we all have, I have no water (pipe frozen) to the ensuite but can use alternative.

Same in our estate, some people have water, others don't. Problem is we didn't use the water for one day and hey Presto frozen mains. It'll be some shock when I hit 35+ degrees the week after next.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

just got an email from a friend who is working abroad due to the lack of work here - and won't make it home to his wife and kids - fllight cancelled for the second time. I'm nearly crying for him here.

Happy Christmas everyone,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I heard several announcements today that this was the coldest December on record - did somewhere actually pop past the -19.3C mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Listen, will people stop saying there having a white Christmas, your not having a real one, a fake one..

A true white Christmas means snow falling in the 24 hours of the 25th of December....

Merry Christmas everyoe, and enjoy your "Faux" White Christmas ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Party Pooper ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

John.Icy wrote: »
    Listen, will people stop saying there having a white Christmas, your not having a real one, a fake one..

A true white Christmas means snow falling in the 24 hours of the 25th of December....

If I can build a snowman on xmas day, that's white enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Thanks to all that made these snowy days(weeks) so much fun:)

Happy Christmas to everyone, and lets all hope for a snowy New Year!!!
    (as far as im concerned this is a very white Christmas)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

What a load of bull****. You must be a bookmaker.
    The snow will be lying deep and crisp and even on Christmas morning :)
    merry xmas scrooge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

You're correct when you say a technical, meteorological or bookies pay out condition for a white Christmas means snow falling. In fact one flake of snow falling on Christmas Day classifies as a White Christmas. But come on, surely you would prefer a white out Christmas winter wonderland from 6 inches of snow that had fallen on a previous day over one sole flake of snow that falls on the 25th and melts a couple of seconds later?? I'd happily take a Faux White Christmas than a technical White Christmas that amounts to nothing visually!!

Merry White Christmas, faux or otherwise!!
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

not a single snow flake in co clare

but we're still having a white xmas, with the severe frost turning everything white

-12 at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Here's a pic of the Lagan in Belfast from the Daily Mail.

article-1341484-0C93677C000005DC-150_634x408.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Oh will you Faux off paddy power:D:D... It's going to be white outside on the 25th... ie white Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Fiskar wrote: »

Im in Meath too, no water for 5 days now, have my own well, pipes frozen in ground somewhere (not above ground or in Well house). Its been above 0c for 3 days during the day time in a row.. just how long above 0 or how many degrees above 0 do we need to defrost frozen underground piping?

Any point in removing the icy old snow grass cover (last snow here over 2wks ago) from where I think the pipe runs in the garden?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

"Milder" air is already filtering into NI in the last hour or 2 with Western Scottish Islands now well above freezing for the first time in days - looks like bye bye to an epic spell of classic winter weather and hello to a week of rather dreary grimness from Sunday onwards:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement