Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Cold spell Charts/ Media/ Forecasts (Strictly no chit-chat) (15/12/2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

eoinbergin wrote: »
    Hey guys i have been looking at some of the dew charts for thursday and it appears from noon on we reach 0 and steadily drop after does anyone have a good map on predicted precipitation for the dublin area for thursday

Thanks

click on nedbor
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

whippet wrote: »
    As tough as it sounded, by all accounts it is recalled fondly

Yes they're not the moaning generation like we have now ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

eoinbergin wrote: »
    Hey guys i have been looking at some of the dew charts for thursday and it appears from noon on we reach 0 and steadily drop after does anyone have a good map on predicted precipitation for the dublin area for thursday

Thanks

This is the best i could find

10121609_1506.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

What are conditions before the front arrives tomorrow going to be like? I'll be outside working tomorrow till we have to abandon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The BBC forecaster just mentioned less cold conditions in the south as early as Sunday.

Of course that could mean just the south of England. the danger is that milder atlantic air will be able to sneak back in with these low pressures nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Did anyone catch the forecast after the One News?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah it was much the same as last night, the front will pass over, turning to snow on high ground and later there'll be showers in the north. It'll start off mild but be sub zero by the evening

She committed cold up to Monday though with snow on the chart every day.

On a related note, they really need to change their rain/sleet/hail/snow animations, its very hard to tell the difference between them all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Did anyone catch the forecast after the One News?

Nothing special in it really. She just said it would be wet tomorrow followed by cold with Wintry Showers in the North and West. The only thing of note was in the charts at the end where they had snow for the south and east for Sunday/Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Hammy_irl

Harps wrote: »
    On a related note, they really need to change their rain/sleet/hail/snow animations, its very hard to tell the difference between them all

I'd say they probably do that on purpose to cover their asses!

I get the feeling more and more that this event is becoming more and more "tame"!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

I've seen the 82 pictures that were posted earlier
    where were those posted? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

irish1967 wrote: »
    cheers irish, i was in the antipoles for all that fun & craic last year :D xmas just ain't the same without frosty weather & some snow! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eoinbergin

Let me know if i have this right for dublin from noon thursday the temp will start to drop and continue to drop wind strong gusty winds on. The wind should calm alittle on saturday and sunday with expected 1-2cm of snow falling both days...if anyone thinks any different let me know it would be good to get a regional idea so that the city wont come to a stand still again

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

If this occluded front crosses like shown below, serious falls of snow this weekend! :eek:

FSXX00T_72.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

premiercad wrote: »
    If this occluded front crosses like shown below, serious falls of snow this weekend! :eek:

FSXX00T_72.jpg

UKMO precip chart for that time :

UW72-594.GIF?15-06

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Wow the bbc shows a spell of snow moving across the country on Friday night, http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Weather Warning

Issued at 15 December 2010 - 14:00

Severe Weather Warning

A return to very cold and wintry weather across the country from Thursday into next week, with wintry showers. Snow returning, mainly affecting Ulster, west Connacht and southwest Munster during Thursday afternoon into Friday. 3 to 10 cm snow here (more over higher ground). Snow showers becoming more widespread across the country later Friday into Friday night, with further accumulations. Scattered wintry showers to follow over the weekend, with yet more snow in places.

Afternoon temperatures just -2 to -3 degrees.
    Night time temperatures -5 to -10 degrees.

Widespread frost, ice and freezing fog too.

Extremely cold and wintry into next week too.

Further updates to follow.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

:cool:

First 12Z run of the day.

This would be with -8 to -10 uppers over the country :

gme-0-60.png?12

gme-0-66.png?12

and then later the UK gets it

gme-0-72.png?12

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Im not so sure about those charts. Its weird the low strengthening to 965 like that when its pretty much over land?? I can't see that kind of strenghtening taking place.

Im not so sure about those charts. Its weird the low strengthening to 965 like that when its pretty much over land?? I can't see that kind of strenghtening taking place.

Yeah GME isn't really the best of the models, but I'm just putting it out there while we wait for ther GFS/UKMO. :)

• Advertisement

gme-0-60.png?12

gme-0-66.png?12

gme-0-72.png?12

Unreal set of charts there Maq, will be very interesting to see what the GFS take on it is. Coming out soon now :)

Unreal set of charts there Maq, will be very interesting to see what the GFS take on it is. Coming out soon now :)

GME is probably overdoing it, I wouldn't expect to see that storm on the GFS. But it just goes to show the kind of stuff that is coming up on the models for just 3 days away, not FI.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GME looks like a PL to me, wonder is this actually a real polar low.

If we can get a similar positioning off the GFS we are laughing. Maybe bump it a wee bit further north!

GME is probably overdoing it, I wouldn't expect to see that storm on the GFS. But it just goes to show the kind of stuff that is coming up on the models for just 3 days away, not FI.

GFS rolling out now Maq.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Hi all, new to this thread and have to say Im loving it....what do the experts think our chances are of getting some snow here in Limerick this time round considering how we were starved of it completely over the past few weeks???

Slightly heavier precip for us at 24 hours on the 12Z GFS.

gfs-2-24.png?12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eoinbergin

I'm right in thinking cork limerick munster area is going to get about 2cm's and Leinster just 1cm so the snow should be quiet light but constant

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Interesting, DP to drop faster than expected? More of the country could be in for some sleet/snow than previously expected (bar the south)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jimdwyer

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Has anyone linked the cold spell and snow we're getting with the volcanic eruption earlier in the year? If not then I'm callin it first :)

I was thinking that also.. Remaining ash particles in the atmosphere reducing temperatures.. Didn't that Indonesian volcano have a big effect on global temperatures?

• Advertisement

kopfan77 wrote: »
    Hi all, new to this thread and have to say Im loving it....what do the experts think our chances are of getting some snow here in Limerick this time round considering how we were starved of it completely over the past few weeks???
    fairly high from time to time.
    There is a connaught ulster sticky thread though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement