Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Cold spell Charts/ Media/ Forecasts (Strictly no chit-chat) (15/12/2010)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

ECM 144hrs which is Monday

ECM1-144.GIF?14-0

ECM0-144.GIF?14-0

Weathercheck must be having palpatations at this stage:D

If that came off we would be looking at very low daytime maximum temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Where do you see the troughs darkman ?
    Also how do you know the occluded front is draped back over Ireland ?

To me, albeit great charts, I wonder has the potential shifted East to UK leaving us drier after Friday

Where do you see the troughs darkman ?

Can't see the toughs but you can see the warm sector. It's the same on the GFS

gfs-1-72.png?12

And once you see a warm sector you have cold and warm fronts. Looks like the system is in early stages of developmment on Friday but the GFS has it beefy enough for more widesread snow then just showers.

Also how do you know the occluded front is draped back over Ireland ?

The chinks in the isobars - specifically over the north.

To me, albeit great charts, I wonder has the potential shifted East to UK leaving us drier after Friday

I think it's an upgrade on earlier ECM runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

I live in London with the Mrs and little lad. Shes' due to fly from Heathrow to Dublin on Sunday at lunchtime for the Christmas. What chances do ye give of that being able to happen based on these models?

168hrs incoming from the Northwest.....more significant snow.

ECM1-168.GIF?14-0

ECM0-168.GIF?14-0

OK I will stop now!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

darkman2 wrote: »

OK I will stop now!:pac:

Please don't !! :pac:

Will be interesting to see what the GFS run says, they seem to be coming to agreement now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Met Eireann have issued a warning :D

Weather Warning

Issued at 14 December 2010 - 18:41
    Weather Advisory
    Weather Advisory for severe cold weather and snow over the coming days.

Very cold wintry weather will develop across Ireland during Thursday, sweeping down from the north, and leaving a severe frost and ice on Thursday night. Through Friday and the weekend afternoon temperatures will be in the range zero to plus 3 C, with night time temperatures typically minus 3 to minus 8 C.
    Snow is expected to return. Through Thursday, Friday and Saturday this will be mainly in coastal counties of the north and west (although isolated snow showers could occur anywhere), with a more widespread mix of rain and snow following for Sunday and Monday. Roads will become icy each night wherever they are wet.

Regular updates will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Evelyn was very calm on the 6/1 forecast I thought, almost like she was restraining herself from letting out a big"Whaaaa Whooo"! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Evelyn was very calm on the 6/1 forecast I thought, almost like she was restraining herself from letting out a big"Whaaaa Whooo"! :D

Were you in hiding? Looks like we could have an interesting couple of days ahead on the west. Wouldn't have been right for you to miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Were you in hiding? Looks like we could have an interesting couple of days ahead on the west. Wouldn't have been right for you to miss it.

I am not too confident that my part of the west will see much to be honest but giving the nature of the wind stream, other parts will do much better. I think the Mayo hills will absorb most of the energy from these snow showers before they reach here but who knows how it will all turn out in the end :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

gme-1-54.png?12

Wow

What a chart...

-12 to -14 uppers over the country with -16 just touching the northern coast.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

What you should of said Maq was

Carlsberg.jpg

CARLSBURG don't do winter charts but if the did the would look like this.:D

gme-1-54.png?12

Wow

What a chart...

-12 to -14 uppers over the country with -16 just touching the northern coast.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I know it probably wont but assuming that -16 does end up over us, what sort of temperatures would we looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Looking at maq's chart, - 20 uppers nearly in scotland and tunisia in africa entirely covered by sub zero uppers. . . The worlds going mad! -12 uppers in france. . . Wtf? armaggedon? :P :P :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

18z be rolling out in a few minutes, I'll keep an eye on my low next wednesday :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

101214_2100.jpg

Nice image of the Greenland Express en-route, stopping off at Iceland and then next stop Donegal, Leitrim, Sligo, Mayo, Galway and down to WolfIre in Clare, Limerick, Kerry and everything east of the above..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Looking at maq's chart, - 20 uppers nearly in scotland and tunisia in africa entirely covered by sub zero uppers. . . The worlds going mad! -12 uppers in france. . . Wtf? armaggedon? :P :P :pac:

more like The Day After Tomorrow ;)

Harps wrote: »
    I know it probably wont but assuming that -16 does end up over us, what sort of temperatures would we looking at?

Usually in Ireland you add 10 to the 850temps to get the surface so -14 uppers would give approx -4 at ground level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Cant freakin wait from snow starved kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Article by Fergal Tierney on Polar Low potential this weekend
    http://www.irishweatheronline.com/2010/12/polar-low-potential-for-ireland-this.html

• Advertisement

Oh it looks lovely

h850t850eu.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

This run is looking pretty good for nationwide snow Friday afternoon and evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    http://www.irishweatheronline.com/2010/12/polar-low-potential-for-ireland-this.html
    Hi Wolf,
    Am I correct in saying that the article says if a polar low situation does occur, it will only clip the west coast? no precipitation for the rest of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    cheers Wolfe(&Su) but if that beast does come off is it not moving away from the west?

Edit:just seen post above,sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

fizzycyst wrote: »
    Hi Wolf,
    Am I correct in saying that the article says if a polar low situation does occur, it will only clip the west coast? no precipitation for the rest of the country?
    polar lows lose their verocity as they track inland fizzy but we are not accustomed to such systems here so it would be hard to predict how far inland such a system would progress. It should be pointed out that this polar low is only a possibility at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Oh it looks lovely

h850t850eu.png

I have noticed on the latest 18z run has the low slightly further east than earlier and the cold northerly's delayed a bit. I hope this is not the start of some downgrade for here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    I have noticed on the latest 18z run has the low slightly further east than earlier and the cold northerly's delayed a bit. I hope this is not the start of some downgrade for here.

I have to disagree with you here. While the low is slightly further east the cold northerlys are expected on the exact same timeframe as they were 4 days ago.

I've been watching at every update the 19:00 Thursday updates and every one of them has stayed on the same timeframe. To be honest im shockd at how well the GFS picked up this outbreak 4-5 days ago and also how consistent it has been with no real major changes since then. The models have really come a long way and they are recently starting to get VERY accurate!!

gfs148.png

Easterlies :)

h850t850eu.png

ukwind.png

This Icelandic website gives a nice precipitation/temp and wind model...up until Sunday.

http://en.vedur.is/photos/sjo_atlant_urkomuspa/101214_1200_36.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

gfs148.png

that is such an impressive image. i mean.....HOW.....can it be 4 degrees above zero (up to 8 in one small section) in greenland and BELOW zero in africa????? it just seems: :eek::eek:
    i've never seen the likes.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement