Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WikiLeaks & Sinn Fein

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

junder wrote: »
    Were any of these Protestants elected or promoted to such lofty posistions orange men? The day the Dublin orange lodge can parade unmolested through thier own city you can get back to me about how tolerant of the unionist culture (that is unionist not Protestant culture)

Goalposts shifting all over the shop.

You claimed Protestants are discriminated against. Now you are claiming because we have never had a President who was in the OO, an untenable position in a Republic, we are the bigots?

As my Belfast friends would say, will you wind your neck in.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    First off the situation in the north isn't sectarian. It is largely stemmed from sectarian conflicts but it is not based wholly on sectarian issues.

Now that we've got that out of the way I'll adress the issues you raised. The protestant percentage of the population in the south was only ten percent at the time of division and has fallen since. Compared to the much larger thirty five percent minority of catholics in the north. Which has grown steadily.

Secondly protestants both north and south were/are generally better off then their catholic neighbours and as any political scientist can tell you it is the poorer classes that tend to be the most rebellious.

Thirdly protestants in the south have always been a minority. Seperated from other protestants in the north and England they never developed a distinct cultural identity like northern protestants. Ironically most of the northern prodestent identity steams from catholic attempts to wipe them out but let's forget that. Therefore they were more likely to identify with De Valera and other nationalist leaders in the early days of the Irish republic.

For all this and more it is stupid to say that nationalists are "nicer" then unionists because prodestents in the south were treated better then catholics in the north. We saw in the easter rising and during the troubles that nationalists have no qualms about killing innocent people to advance their agenda.

As a side note I'm really not sure what the mistreatment of catholics even has to do with a United Ireland. These concerns could be adressed by reform within Northern Ireland. It isn't an agruement for unification.

[/rant]

Some of your rant is right, a lot is wrong. But you are over analysing what I said. Junder, a loyalist, is trying to paint the Free State and Republic as MORE sectarian than the Stormont years. That is patently not the case, absolute tosh of the highest order.

There area reasons why the Protestant population of Ireland, and the Jewish one for that matter, is down, and none of it has to do with repressive sectarian government.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

maxxie wrote: »
    I am open minded but it is clear the oo are not!

How open minded are yourself and the rest of the northern contingent here?

Each of these threads are tit for tat with no compromise!
    How can there be any compromise when nationalists call unionists bigots and even worse facists!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

How can there be any compromise when nationalists call unionists bigots and even worse facists!

I said the oo, clearly! Whats with the constant no surrender attitude??

Will it ever die? Ive have met some unionists who are absolutely great people!

They have experienced extremely tough times and come through it determined for there to be peace in the north! Certainly not bigots or facists!

maxxie wrote: »
    I said the oo, clearly! Whats with the constant no surrender attitude??

Will it ever die? Ive have met some unionists who are absolutely great people!

They have experienced extremely tough times and come through it determined for there to be peace in the north! Certainly not bigots or facists!
    sorry for the attitude but it's hard to be nice when certain people on this forum have called all unionists bigots and likened them to facists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

All unionists are in the OO?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    All unionists are in the OO?
    Have you read some of the posts? Some one calling Unionists all sorts, linking them to combat 18 and so on.:confused:

sorry for the attitude but it's hard to be nice when certain people on this forum have called all unionists bigots and likened them to facists.

Hold up - people are calling the orange order bigoted, and that is a statement of fact.

Extrapolating having an issue with an openly sectarian organisation to having an issue with unionists as a people is petty, and very deliberatly missing the point.

Hold up - people are calling the orange order bigoted, and that is a statement of fact.

Extrapolating having an issue with an openly sectarian organisation to having an issue with unionists as a people is petty, and very deliberatly missing the point.
    there have been people on either this thread or in this forum who have called all unionists bigots and likened them to facists. How can there ever be peace when there are nationalists who feel this way?

there have been people on either this thread or in this forum who have called all unionists bigots and likened them to facists. How can there ever be peace when there are nationalists who feel this way?

Have they? Have they really, or is that what you chose to read?

• Advertisement

Have they? Have they really, or is that what you chose to read?
    What!? lol. Have you not read some of the posts. Im pretty sure it was this thread. Linking Unionists to Combat 18 and skin heads. Calling us fascists and so on. How can you possibly miss that?

KeithAFC wrote: »
    What!? lol. Have you not read some of the posts. Im pretty sure it was this thread. Linking Unionists to Combat 18 and skin heads. Calling us fascists and so on. How can you possibly miss that?

I don't know. Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Some of your rant is right, a lot is wrong. But you are over analysing what I said. Junder, a loyalist, is trying to paint the Free State and Republic as MORE sectarian than the Stormont years. That is patently not the case, absolute tosh of the highest order.

There area reasons why the Protestant population of Ireland, and the Jewish one for that matter, is down, and none of it has to do with repressive sectarian government.

At no point did I make any comparison between northern Ireland and the republic that is just you putting words in my mouth. And what goal posts am I moving?

I don't know. Link?
    Some guy, pretty sure its on this thread. Go look for it. Must be buried in all these pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Some guy, pretty sure its on this thread. Go look for it. Must be buried in all these pages.
    Loving the specifics there, wouldnt be talking sh!te would ya?

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Loving the specifics there, wouldnt be talking sh!te would ya?
    Eh? Some guy seriously linked Unionists to combat 18 and made so many odd and stupid statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Eh? Some guy seriously linked Unionists to combat 18 and made so many odd and stupid statements.

i bet combat 18 are even more offended with that link !

danbohan wrote: »
    i bet combat 18 are even more offended with that link !
    Don't be s.... not worth it.

Don't be s.... not worth it.

s......?, shot ? , surrendered ? , saved ? savaged ?

• Advertisement

s......?, shot ? , surrendered ? , saved ? savaged ?
    Stupid.

Stupid.

tut tut keith , i think they are getting too you all these nasty provo/fenians on the boards here , why are you so sensitive about unionist links to combat 18 i thought everybody accepted that as a fact , your not trying to paint a rose tinted picture of unionism/loyalism and remove all those old nasty links are you ?

Wow You guys really know how to indear us to your so called united Ireland

tut tut keith , i think they are getting too you all these nasty provo/fenians on the boards here , why are you so sensitive about unionist links to combat 18 i thought everybody accepted that as a fact , your not trying to paint a rose tinted picture of unionism/loyalism and remove all those old nasty links are you ?
    I don't blame him for distancing himself from combat 18. Every sane unionist would do the same.

I would be betraying all our black Unionists if i supported that lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

I would be betraying all our black Unionists if i supported that lot.

So does the OO's links with the KKK

5451613185a9128816808l.jpg

also combat 18 links here

2069946_f260.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

For all this and more it is stupid to say that nationalists are "nicer" then unionists because prodestents in the south were treated better then catholics in the north.

[/rant]

Is this a joke ? You're defending your "side" in this and you can't even spell Protestant ?
    I'm no spelling Nazi but seriously like, that's a bad slip up again there Enda...

There are no links between the orange order and the kkk period it suits you to generalise unionists / loyalists as fascists but in your generlisations you show your not only contempt but your complete and utter ignorance of my community, it's clear that you have absolutely no objective ability and can
    Do no more then parrot the usual republican diatribe.
    You have two loyalists / unionists on this site that you could have asked questions of and parhaps learn something of the loyalist / unionist community, so far only one person has made an attempt to do that, you could all learn something from
    Iwasfrozen. Since you are incapable of asking objective questions I guess I will have give you some insight you so clearly lack. As I have said before on this site, I am in the apprentice boys, I am in a flute band and I am a British soldier all the things so many of you hate, I can tell you all categorically that I have no links to the far right, I cant stand C18 and I feel the someway about the bnp as I do sinn fein. My politics are very much left of centre, I will never vote dup or tuv, I am not racist, sectarian, homophobic or sexist and what's more I am not unusual among my community.
    Republicans have a statue dedicated to the leader of the ira who died on a german u boat, tim pat cogan the republican author admitted in his book the ira that there was an anti Semitic element within the ira during the second world war and that Jewish business were attacked by the ira, so glass houses, bricks so on and so forth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Right, so now we've progressed to the IRA bombing Jews. This would be the so called and affectionately known among FF voters, "old IRA" then ?

Honestly, I'm only surprised nobody has mentioned the IRA having involvement in the shooting of JFK.

Or Area52, I've heard the Americans captured a Fenian UFO in the early 70's - complete with a real Leprechaun who kept swearing at them in Irish.

Advertisement