Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks man, yupp as a TES noob, i'm just gonna go wondering off for a while see what the world has to offer!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Did a little frames per second experiment at the gate of Solitude, it seems to be a very CPU bound game when in the cities. The setting that appears to be most guilty is the (CPU calculated) shadows (I imagine the Havok behaviour engine is already putting a fair load on the CPU in populated areas and Ultra shadows is just too much). Doen't appear to be too much of a difference between Ultra and High or Medium and Low. Since the shadows aren't all that pretty to begin with I think it is well worth the sacrifice.

Detail Level Ultra:
    0 X AA, 0 X AF -> 20 -21 FPS
    8XAA, 16 X AF -> 20 -21 FPS

Detail Level Ultra (Except medium shadows):
    0XAA, 0 X AF -> 28 FPS
    8XAA, 16 X AF -> 28 FPS

Same settings except outside the gate looking away from the city.

Detail Level Ultra:
    0 X AA, 0 X AF -> 28-29 FPS
    8XAA, 16 X AF -> 33-34 FPS

Detail Level Ultra (Except medium shadows):
    0 X AA, 0 X AF -> 44-45 FPS
    8XAA, 16 X AF -> 41 FPS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

PMSL was hunting a bear down river and it got swept away into a waterfall and died

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

the lake view south of riverwood is just luvly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Im loving being a stealthy archer, even works great against dragons... one problem though, how the f**k do you level up light armor when no-one ever sees you or touches you :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just came across a nasty bug that stops me from finishing the companions quests, if any of you are doing the mission where you collect the witch's head, SAVE before you go back to whiterun. I can't get the next quest to start at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,872 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

For the dark brother hood players who have finished it
    Did you keep the 20,000 gold or spend it on repairs to the new hideout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Im loving being a stealthy archer, even works great against dragons... one problem though, how the f**k do you level up light armor when no-one ever sees you or touches you :confused:

Stand up and let the bad men tickle you once in a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

ShaneU wrote: »
    Just came across a nasty bug that stops me from finishing the companions quests, if any of you are doing the mission where you collect the witch's head, SAVE before you go back to whiterun. I can't get the next quest to start at all.
    By any chance did you pick up the witches head before you started the quest. I havent done that quest yet but I cant give the book Invocation of Azura to the librarian in the Mage's College. Picked it up in a dungeon on my travels and now I cant finish the quest. The book is in my inventory but disappears when I got to trade/sell stuff with the librarian.

Anyone playing on PC ever get a bug that says you're over-encumbered when you aren't. It usually happens after a quick load. Reload it a couple of times and then it fixes itself. Sometimes solves itself too when you draw/sheath your weapon.

That bug has something to do with a quest you need to turn into the jarl in winterhelm, I'll see if I can find the details.

Edit: Ah yes it was for the glory of the dead achievement. I had to reload and lose a few hours.

Basically an earlier quest sends you through there to get the helm of winterhold from a chest that chest also has a flute in it for a bards college quest.... LEAVE IT THERE!!!!! When retrieving the helm run through the dungeon and kill nothing!!!!!!!! then do the companions quest. that's how I got around it.

More here
    How to avoid the glitch that will prevent you from getting this quest.

- preferable method- Don't ask the Jarl in Winterhold about any work until you have beaten the Companions quest line. He will give you a quest to find the Helm of Winterhold which interferes with the 2nd to last quest in the companions quest line.

- if the quest is active and not yet complete - retrieve the Helm of Winterhold without killing the last 3 guys in the dungeon. I froze them with my dragon shout. Then turn in the helm before returning to the companions with the witches head.

Those on PC might be able to console their way out of this somehow :confused:

Sorry if it's too late for you OP hopefully you have a save you can go back to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

By any chance did you pick up the witches head before you started the quest.
    nope
    calex71 wrote: »
    That bug has something to do with a quest you need to turn into the jarl in winterhelm, I'll see if I can find the details.

I accepted that quest but i never did it.

nope

I accepted that quest but i never did it.

Edited my post there with more info,

Also the witches doent actually appear until you are on that companions quest so picking up early isnt possible as far as I know but could be wrong

Edit also some stuff in the comments here http://www.trueachievements.com/viewcomment.aspx?commentid=375770#vch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Sometimes this game is annoyingly good.

Was going down the mage / archery with light armour road but have pretty much turned into a full blown mage. Have put alot of perks into light armour and spent a decent amount levelling my smiting and crafting glass and enchanting it all but I just got the Archmage robes and the 100% regen mask and they are too good not to use.

Ahh well I already have wasted perk points in one handed, a few more in smiting and light armour won't kill me!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

I'm feeling closer and closer to this game every time I sit down to it. I know I'm waaaaayyy behind in the main story arc, I've been lost in doing the side quests and various tasks, not to mention being a complete **** and just mugging people in places far away from white run as not to anger the locals. I love getting out on a blood frenzied rampage in werewolf form at night time!

Mainly focused an archery and one handed but yesterday(while climbing up to the greybeards) I kept getting pounced on by beasts, so had a look through my spells to see if anything could help and found the conjur flame torch lady thing. Ported her in for the walk up and double bound flame destruction and HOLY SHAZBALLS I now want to be a Mage haha! So much craic. If mmo's felt like this.....the power balance issue in mmo's is what keeps a lot of the combat and abilities in those games in the back foot. Skyrim is overpowered and feels awesome haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Damn college and xmas work getting in the way of Skyrim :(

Only played it for about 7 hours, am level 6. Keep getting raped by thw two giants up at Guldun's place. Found these nifty boots in a cave in the big mountain, that add +25 to stamina, place is FULL of mushies for eating alchemy... :rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Damn college and xmas work getting in the way of Skyrim :(

Only played it for about 7 hours, am level 6. Keep getting raped by thw two giants up at Guldun's place. Found these nifty boots in a cave in the big mountain, that add +25 to stamina, place is FULL of mushies for eating alchemy... :rolleyes:;)

Well at least you're not 20+ hours into skyrim and can't progress the main quest because of a feckin glitch in the game -_-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Well at least you're not 20+ hours into skyrim and can't progress the main quest because of a feckin glitch in the game -_-

I had to restart the game twice, once because I killed Alvor, and once because Alvor attacked me for no reason so naturally I chopped his head off :p

What glitch are you stuck with? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Leeg17 wrote: »
    I had to restart the game twice, once because I killed Alvor, and once because Alvor attacked me for no reason so naturally I chopped his head off :p

What glitch are you stuck with? :(

Hmm Not sure its a spoiler or not so I'll put it in tags just in case... You're not there yet anyway!
    When you have to get Ulfric and the empire guy to talk to the greybeards, both Ulfric and his... other main guy (I'm kinda drunk can't remember his name) are stuck saying talk to the other one so I can't progress the story.

Other people are having the same problem:

Quest: Season Unending: Ulfric Stormcloak will not talk to you if you are also on Joining the Stormcloaks. Additionally, if you have already spoken to General Tulius and had him agree to meet at High Hrothgar, Galmar Stone-Fist will no longer speak with you, preventing both quest lines from moving forward. (PC, Xbox AND PS3)

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

hows my fellow skyrim fu**ers, was out then won a bit on the fruitie things,am in a buzz goin to put on the gloves and see if i can take down a guard in skyrim (naked) with me fists, bit of craic day off 2mo, got me thinkin the game could do with a few more games et al red dead throwing horse shoes/bioshock fruit machines, i havent played much recently, i always get like that thou wit fallout i had a week of exploring then like a break for a week back to reality, still a great game thou, rekon ill have the game till end of jan b4 a trade in... whats the news on the DLC?

edit, to whomever has the arrow in their head i have an ice shard in my abdomen its pretty annoying, luckily i still have the save as b4 it happend aye couple of glitches in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

padz wrote: »
    hows my fellow skyrim fu**ers, was out then won a bit on the fruitie things,am in a buzz goin to put on the gloves and see if i can take down a guard in skyrim (naked) with me fists, bit of craic day off 2mo, got me thinkin the game could do with a few more games et al red dead throwing horse shoes/bioshock fruit machines, i havent played much recently, i always get like that thou wit fallout i had a week of exploring then like a break for a week back to reality, still a great game thou, rekon ill have the game till end of jan b4 a trade in... whats the news on the DLC?

edit, to whomever has the arrow in their head i have an ice shard in my abdomen its pretty annoying, luckily i still have the save as b4 it happend aye couple of glitches in the game

Good night last night eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

Just spent 2 hours sitting down in a quiet corner of the Mages College reading every book i could find while sipping a cup of coffee and smoking a few cigarettes peacefully. God i love this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

dual wield mace of molag & glass battle-axe FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

Guys i havent played much of skyrim yet but was wondering if someone could clear some doubts for me?

1) Where is the best place to get those souls required for enchanting? I usually get a few ( like 1 or 2 ) from dungeons. Is there a merchant that actually sells them?

2) I killed the first dragon and got some dragonbone and dragon scale? Its quite pricey but i am not sure if i should sell it or if i should keep it. Is there any use for it in the future ( like make a weapon or alchemy or something)?

3) How do u guys find out which shops buys what goods? Do you just randomly go to shops and find out what goods they will buy from you or is there some way to indicate that on the map? coz i am finding it difficult to offload some of my goods. i just cant seem to find a buyer. The innkeepers apparently wont buy anything other than food and ingredients and i know that companinon weaponsmith. I am still in whiterun ( i think is the name), the first city you come across.

cheerz guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Quick one there lads. Have been pretty much ignoring the main quest so far (went up to high hrothgar stopped there).

Ive been learning shouts in various places but none of them appear to be active. Is there a certain poiny in the main quest you need you need to go to in order to make use of learned shouts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

c - 13 wrote: »
    Quick one there lads. Have been pretty much ignoring the main quest so far (went up to high hrothgar stopped there).

Ive been learning shouts in various places but none of them appear to be active. Is there a certain poiny in the main quest you need you need to go to in order to make use of learned shouts ?

You need to have killed your first dragon in the main storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

You've gotta spend your dragon souls on them. You get Dragon souls by absorbing their souls when you beat a dragon. Some of the shouts have multiple levels and can require multiple dragon souls to unlock them completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Ah makes sense now, i was collecting dragon souls from random encounters and was wondering what use they were, cheers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

jmx009 wrote: »
    1) Where is the best place to get those souls required for enchanting? I usually get a few ( like 1 or 2 ) from dungeons. Is there a merchant that actually sells them?

2) I killed the first dragon and got some dragonbone and dragon scale? Its quite pricey but i am not sure if i should sell it or if i should keep it. Is there any use for it in the future ( like make a weapon or alchemy or something)?

3) How do u guys find out which shops buys what goods? Do you just randomly go to shops and find out what goods they will buy from you or is there some way to indicate that on the map? coz i am finding it difficult to offload some of my goods. i just cant seem to find a buyer. The innkeepers apparently wont buy anything other than food and ingredients and i know that companinon weaponsmith. I am still in whiterun ( i think is the name), the first city you come across.

1. Best place to get souls is to cast Soul Trap on an enemy. When they die, you get their soul.

2. Dragon Bone/Scales are used to create Dragon armour. You'll get a ton of it though, so selling the early stuff is a good way of getting some early gold.

3. Go to blacksmiths to sell weapons/armour, bars to sell food/drink etc...generally if you can buy something there, you can sell it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As above, you need to learn your first shout before you can get any more, and once you do, you can unlock them in the Magic screen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

See lads? See? First dragon must have been killed. First shout must have been learned. I'm antsy this morning sorry.

Advertisement