Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

malachite ore/bars and something else make glass weapons and armour, the armour is light and the weapons are pretty good, especially the bow!

How does it compare to the bound bow?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

whats the best race to go if your play style is sneak/steal/magic and maybe use 1 handed weapons? also how do you make health potions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

whats the best race to go if your play style is sneak/steal/magic and maybe use 1 handed weapons? also how do you make health potions?

Blisterwort, Blue Dartwing, Blue Mountain Flower, Butterfly Wing, Charred Skeever Hide, Daedra Heart, Eye of Sabre Cat, Imp Stool, Rock Warbler Egg, Swamp Fungal Pod, Wheat

any of these can be mixed for a health potion. if you have tested all of your ingredients at least once you should have the option in the alchemy menu to create a restore health potion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

wiped out another orc village, on to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

How does it compare to the bound bow?
    havent used a bound bow at all, i guess if the bound one scales with level it would be the wiser choice. But the glass and daedric ones do look very nice as well as pack an amazing punch with some ebony or glass arrows :)

• Advertisement

Started using the shout to speed up my weapon, you can't have an enchantment on it but the speed my great sword goes may make it worth it.

There's a shrine to a prince that has a few Daedra spawn in it each day or so, you need a key to get in but i can't remember where i got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

hypermuse wrote: »
    Hmmmm good question.. I havnt found anything that you could use to make glass armor with.. I haven't heard or seen anything bout a raw material needed for glass..

Moonstone ore, Malachite Ore a smithing level of 70 and the perk Glass Smithing is needed for the glass equipment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hmmmmmm all this talk of weapons has me wondering what the best ones are for dual wielding :confused:

Over all I find maces pack the most punch. I'm level 40ish and my legendary wepons still only do 70 and 74 even with the 25% extra from the nightingale gloves.

I regret not putting effort into enchantments now, might have some good weak stuff I can remove enchantments from in my stash box. I know one of my maces is doing 30 points stamina absorb. the other 10points fire or maigika damage.

Any suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Where can I get meself some elven arrows? Are they any use? Is there any option to make arrows anywhere? I've got dwarven ones, which are my best just now, want to see if I can get better!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Where can I get meself some elven arrows? Are they any use? Is there any option to make arrows anywhere? I've got dwarven ones, which are my best just now, want to see if I can get better!
    Go to the fletcher in solitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

calex71 wrote: »
    Hmmmmmm all this talk of weapons has me wondering what the best ones are for dual wielding :confused:

Over all I find maces pack the most punch. I'm level 40ish and my legendary wepons still only do 70 and 74 even with the 25% extra from the nightingale gloves.

I regret not putting effort into enchantments now, might have some good weak stuff I can remove enchantments from in my stash box. I know one of my maces is doing 30 points stamina absorb. the other 10points fire or maigika damage.

Any suggestions ?

Maces do the most damage but are the slowest of the 3 types of 1 handed.

In terms of speed it goes (and opposite for damage):

Sword > Axe > Mace

Enchantments are well worth it, you can still easily get into it now. How good the enchantment is is based on the Soul Gem used so you can get good enchants even when it's at a low level. Perks of course do improve them but they're not necessary.

For weapons the best enchants would be Fire / Shock depending on which you prefer. Shock does more damage per hit and drains stamina but enemies on fire take more damage for follow up attacks.

Magicka Damage on weapons is the highest base damage enchant also as far as I know but adds no additional properties and uses your magicka for each hit. (Might need clarification here?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

calex71 wrote: »

Any suggestions ?

Its worth it, Right now i have my weapons both enchanted with around 90 points of elemental damage each, along with my armour and jewelry enchanted with fortify light armour, 40% magic resist, 165% increased 1h weapon damage and 37% frost resist so far. My chest and helmet are still empty.

Magic is all but a non event for me now, Being a breton i already had a 25% resist, Along with the lord stone giving an additional 25% so now im at 90% magic resist, Frost resist should be at 127%(Not sure if it works out like that?) and i have yet to have difficulty in a battle because of the increased damage with my duel weapons.

Enchanting is defo worth it:)

Questions:
    1. Is there a fortify enchanting effect?
    2. Is there a fortify alchemy potion?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

my gf, at level 1, somehow manages to get herself into Valthume, she isnt even finished the dungeon and she is level 8/9 lol!

all i hear is OH SHIIT FUCCCK OH SHIIIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Having a bit of a graphical issue.

There are alternating vertical lines of different contrast on my screen. They're very irritating. I'm hoping there's some graphical setting that can get rid of them but nothing has worked so far. I'm using a GTX580 and the screen is a 32" LCD tv. Anyone had this issue and sorted it?

It doesn't seem to be evident in any other game either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Its worth it, Right now i have my weapons both enchanted with around 90 points of elemental damage each, along with my armour and jewelry enchanted with fortify light armour, 40% magic resist, 165% increased 1h weapon damage and 37% frost resist so far. My chest and helmet are still empty.

Magic is all but a non event for me now, Being a breton i already had a 25% resist, Along with the lord stone giving an additional 25% so now im at 90% magic resist, Frost resist should be at 127%(Not sure if it works out like that?) and i have yet to have difficulty in a battle because of the increased damage with my duel weapons.

Enchanting is defo worth it:)

Questions:

What did you learn the elemental stuff from to enchant items and armor can you recall?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just nipped back to my house in Whiterun to drop off some heavy dragon scales etc. As I was walking in a kid began talking to be. I entered the house and there was the kid, inside my house. Since I was standing in front of the door he couldn't leave. He just kept looking at me with those puppy-dog eyes. I couldn't do that to him so I let him go. I actually felt a bit dirty after he left.:pac: As if I had violated his personal space. He was the one coming into my house!

Dropped off the scales and then as I came out of my house I got challenged to a duel. (The kid must have sent him after me. Telling lies about what really went on in the house).

As I beat his ass in the middle of Whiterun as he kept on shouting at me "This is a magic duel, you know, like MAGIIIC!"

God I love this game.

danthefan wrote: »
    Having a bit of a graphical issue.

There are alternating vertical lines of different contrast on my screen. They're very irritating. I'm hoping there's some graphical setting that can get rid of them but nothing has worked so far. I'm using a GTX580 and the screen is a 32" LCD tv. Anyone had this issue and sorted it?

It doesn't seem to be evident in any other game either.
    Have you tried turning off the computer? If so, try turning the TV on and off. This used to happen on my Samsung 32 inch very rarely. Like once or twice, maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Have you tried turning off the computer? If so, try turning the TV on and off. This used to happen on my Samsung 32 inch very rarely. Like once or twice, maybe.

It's happening constantly. Happened yesterday, happening now.

I'm trying to think back, I don't think it was a problem initially when I started playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

my gf, at level 1, somehow manages to get herself into Valthume, she isnt even finished the dungeon and she is level 8/9 lol!

A GF who plays Skyrim ?!!!

2 things come to mind

1. She is awesome !
    2. No woman !!! It is my turn to play !! get Off !!! FUS-DO-RAH !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Go to the fletcher in solitude.

Thanks man, just picked up a few there - They'll go nicely with my exquisite elven bow :).

I've just started the Dark Brotherhood quests. I'm glad I watched 'Dexter' now :D. Probably overkill, but I like to sit and watch my victims before I make my plans, just like good ould Dex :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Big Knox wrote: »
    For weapons the best enchants would be Fire / Shock depending on which you prefer. Shock does more damage per hit and drains stamina but enemies on fire take more damage for follow up attacks.

Magicka Damage on weapons is the highest base damage enchant also as far as I know but adds no additional properties and uses your magicka for each hit. (Might need clarification here?)

Wait, where are you getting all of this? My understanding was that fire does the most damage but all it does is damage things. Shock does less damage but it also drains their magicka. Frost does less damage than fire but drains their stamina and slows them. "Magicka Damage" means that it reduces their magicka, not that it is a form of damage derived from magicka, and it doesn't have anything to do with your own magicka.
    Questions:

I would like to know this too.

Yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

there is a +whatever enchanting necklace

i have one stored.. somewhere

i have one stored.. somewhere

I know there is potions for it but never seen an item, looking on wiki i don't think there is but it is a wiki so add away.

Save file it 9MB now, lag is so bad. I had PS plus set to upload automatically and it used all my cloud storage, changed that and only upload the newest save.

Is there any companions that are master trainers?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sure it wasn't +smithing?

I think I may be spreading myself too thin on the skill tree. Started off as a battlemage type character. And now I'm getting into sneaking an using a bow.

I really wish you could have some equipment profiles in this game. I would love to switch between a stealthy, arrow shooting ninja in robes and a heavy armoured battlemage at the push of a button. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just got Skyrim, installing now. Anyone know what the 2.00 update is for on the PS3? Can't wait to lash into this. Any tips for a noob starting the game?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Zillah wrote: »
    Sure it wasn't +smithing?

pretty sure it was enchanting
    im not going to load of skyrim just to check my inventory and all the chests in my house so for the moment let's just assume that i'm wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Zillah wrote: »
    Wait, where are you getting all of this? My understanding was that fire does the most damage but all it does is damage things. Shock does less damage but it also drains their magicka. Frost does less damage than fire but drains their stamina and slows them. "Magicka Damage" means that it reduces their magicka, not that it is a form of damage derived from magicka, and it doesn't have anything to do with your own magicka.

I would like to know this too.

Yes.

Fire puts things on fire and causes them to take more damage from other sources like melee etc.

The magicka damage I wasn't 100% about but I have a mace that does 30 magicka damage and it definitely does more damage when it has charges so I presumed it was raw damage will have to look into it a bit more.

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just got Skyrim, installing now. Anyone know what the 2.00 update is for on the PS3? Can't wait to lash into this. Any tips for a noob starting the game?
    My advice is to not worry too much if you think you're levelling up quick enough. You'll generally feel that way if you go off exploring everywhere. You'll be inundated with quests but most of those can be tackled at anytime. I'm mixing it up with a lot of exploring, doing some of the guild quests while throwing in some side/miscellaneous mission on my way.

Your class/character doesn't really matter too much. Just really go with whatever one you think feels right and have a look at the base perk for each character type i.e. initial resistance to fire etc.

Advertisement