Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

noodler wrote: »
    Regarding weapon power,

I was taught at the weekend of the following:

Geth Engineer with Prox Mine specced for additional damage by any attacks on an enemy after they detonate the mine also whilst you are cloked.

So...

Use the Crusader Shotgun:

- Fire a Prox Mine
    - Cloak
    - Shoot with with Crusader (from hip)

The damage does multiples of what it should due to the damage bonuses on Cloak and Prox.

Which one is the crusader?
    Why not the Claymore or the Geth plasma?

If the geth plasma shotgun is anything like the harpoon gun, you can hold down the fire button, start charging, cloak, then release.

I think I one shotted a brute with a harpoon gun on silver doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,314 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The Crusader is an N7 Shotgun.

It fires very quickly but can be difficult to aim.

I think it is the rapid fire and ability to shoot from hip that makes it a good choice. Mine is only at rank I though so was very good but not the same damage he was doing (pretty much scoring 3 or four times what the rest of us were on Gold).

I didn't experiment with anything else.

The Crusader is an N7 Shotgun.

It fires very quickly but can be difficult to aim.

I think it is the rapid fire and ability to shoot from hip that makes it a good choice. Mine is only at rank I though so was very good but not the same damage he was doing (pretty much scoring 3 or four times what the rest of us were on Gold).

I didn't experiment with anything else.

Ah right.

For shooting from the hip I've got the Piranha which seems to be the best shotgun on balance - high damage, reasonably accurate, 8 round mag, fires quickly. It's a good shotgun to use as your only weapon.

Clevernoob Network's (pretty) highly anticipated documentary on the Indoc Theory PART 3 is finall here.

This one deals with the recent Extended Cut etc.

I loved the first two.

Sorry guys, embeeding won't work for some goddamn reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoKCkSC-Os4&list=UUDWRGUs_jy1nESYT-BlnP8A&index=1&feature=plcp

Clevernoob Network's (pretty) highly anticipated documentary on the Indoc Theory PART 3 is finall here.

This one deals with the recent Extended Cut etc.

I loved the first two.

Sorry guys, embeeding won't work for some goddamn reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoKCkSC-Os4&list=UUDWRGUs_jy1nESYT-BlnP8A&index=1&feature=plcp

Seems he's up to his usual tricks of both making a fairly good case for IT and seriously reaching on some points needlessly.

One of the problems with something like this is that any element of the game that doesn't behave exactly as you'd expect is taken to have some value in the discussion when we don't actually know if the developers made a mistake, are hiding easter eggs for the IT, or meant something else entirely.

It's the same with a lot of conspiracy theories. If you looked at any game you'd be able to find an awful lot of bizarre decisions and mistakes that could be used to justifiy one theory or the other.

It's all about human ability to recognise patterns. You might say "jesus, that's a fierce coincidence - I just saw a number plate with 54321 on it - what are the chances?" but you never say "jesus, that's a fierce coincidence - I just saw a number player with 37812 on it - what are the chances?" even though the novelty of the number has everything to do with our perceptions and nothing to do with the actual probability of the number plate appearing.

Long story short most the evidence presented is circumstantial and can be explained by incompetence (and even normal competency, given how hard it is to make everything perfect on a production of this scale) but there's still enough evidence to suggest that the IT is either plausible or at least fits into the game despite not being intended by the developers.

• Advertisement

Haven't watched it yet.

I have to say they are published online with great production values though and are very thorough.

I'd dare say you are missing the point if you go against him completely because he draws a different conclusion to you based on a particular piece of evidence.

We can't be definite about anything - otherwise it wouldn't be a theory.

As I say, I am saving ir for later but two things I can't wait to hear him address are:

1) Why in the EC they chnaged the Harbinger beam scene so that Harbinger can clearly be heard to say "serve us" when he hits Shepard

2) How the hell Major Coates' body ended up on the Citadel at the end when he was supposed to be evacuated.

Anyway, apologies if you find them painful to watch but I remember saying I'd watch 10 mins of part 1 (due to their length) and ended up watching damn near the whole thing in on sitting.

Haven't watched it yet.

I have to say they are published online with great production values though and are very thorough.

I'd dare say you are missing the point if you go against him completely because he draws a different conclusion to you based on a particular piece of evidence.

We can't be definite about anything - otherwise it wouldn't be a theory.

As I say, I am saving ir for later but two things I can't wait to hear him address are:

1) Why in the EC they chnaged the Harbinger beam scene so that Harbinger can clearly be heard to say "serve us" when he hits Shepard

2) How the hell Major Coates' body ended up on the Citadel at the end when he was supposed to be evacuated.

Anyway, apologies if you find them painful to watch but I remember saying I'd watch 10 mins of part 1 (due to their length) and ended up watching damn near the whole thing in on sitting.

I enjoyed large parts of it (I would've have given 6 hours of my life over between them otherwise;)) but it just disappoints me and takes away from the quality of his arguments with some of the arguments he makes.

I think the case for he makes is strong enough and there's no need some of the woolier points.
    It kinda feels like the structure of the videos is dictating how many points he has to make rather than the intrinsic value of the arguments.

Gbear wrote: »
    I enjoyed large parts of it (I would've have given 6 hours of my life over between them otherwise;)) but it just disappoints me and takes away from the quality of his arguments with some of the arguments he makes.

I think the case for he makes is strong enough and there's no need some of the woolier points.
    It kinda feels like the structure of the videos is dictating how many points he has to make rather than the intrinsic value of the arguments.

You haven't watched the latest one yet surely!

Its only out!

You haven't watched the latest one yet surely!

Its only out!

About half of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So the single player DLC Leviathan is out this week, anyone gonna get it? I didn't even watch the extended game ending, mostly because byt the time it came out on the Euro PSN, I just couldn't be arsed any more. I do like me some single player DLC though.

Saying that, The price tag is about 7 euro so it could be really short and sh*t. Definitely gonna wait for reviews before getting it.

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    So the single player DLC Leviathan is out this week, anyone gonna get it? I didn't even watch the extended game ending, mostly because byt the time it came out on the Euro PSN, I just couldn't be arsed any more. I do like me some single player DLC though.

Saying that, The price tag is about 7 euro so it could be really short and sh*t. Definitely gonna wait for reviews before getting it.

You should at least (imo) watch the extended cut on youtube (choose the ending you did for the vanilla ending).

Where are you getting your information on Leviathan's pricing? I read $10 for the US but it never really converts in a typical exchange rate fashion for us. I'd say it will be 10e.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

You should at least (imo) watch the extended cut on youtube (choose the ending you did for the vanilla ending).

Where are you getting your information on Leviathan's pricing? I read $10 for the US but it never really converts in a typical exchange rate fashion for us. I'd say it will be 10e.

Ya I was being optimistic with the pricing but even at a tenner, it seems a bit cheap for quality DLC, unless they are still in apologising mode for all the complaints. DLC does look interesting tho.

Ya I was being optimistic with the pricing but even at a tenner, it seems a bit cheap for quality DLC, unless they are still in apologising mode for all the complaints. DLC does look interesting tho.

I can't help but look at it and say ME3 gave me 30+ hours of play (and countless in multiplayer) for 40e.

The DLC will probably only give me 2 hours for 10e.

Bang for your buck etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

all that shows is how ridiculously underpriced games are these days

all that shows is how ridiculously underpriced games are these days

Well, 40e was the price of ME3 (well actually 47,99) in HMV when it first came out so I am not referring to the recent Zavvi-style stuff where we can get a huge amount of games for 20 sterling a couple of months after they come out.

I don't really feel 48 euro for a videogame is underpriced, conversely I feel the staggered and digital only nature of DLC highlights that such content is overpriced compared to the a full game.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm in the middle of a playthrough so I might get it. Doubt it'll do anything to the ending, except maybe change a line or two.
    Well, 40e was the price of ME3 (well actually 47,99) in HMV when it first came out so I am not referring to the recent Zavvi-style stuff where we can get a huge amount of games for 20 sterling a couple of months after they come out.

I don't really feel 48 euro for a videogame is underpriced, conversely I feel the staggered and digital only nature of DLC highlights that such content is overpriced compared to the a full game.

I bought ME3 a few days after release for €35 in Xtravision. It even had some pre-order stuff in it. Must have been a mistake. I went in there the other day and saw it on sale for €55. Unreal :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

thats xtravision for ye, my local one is gone now, but a couple of years ago i got the band of brothers box set for a tenner, which was supposed to be 40 quid. not preowned or damaged, brand spankin' new :)

man i loved xtravision!

It'll be interesting to see how far prices for games fall once they don't have to be artificially propped up for the sake of the bricks and mortar distributors. How much profit do companies lose having to fit in transport and mark up from shops?

Gbear wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how far prices for games fall once they don't have to be artificially propped up for the sake of the bricks and mortar distributors. How much profit do companies lose having to fit in transport and mark up from shops?

It'll be worse surely!

At least now we have competition.

A PSN only (for example) isn't good for consumers.

It'll be worse surely!

At least now we have competition.

A PSN only (for example) isn't good for consumers.

While an EA fps on Origin won't have competition amongst retailers it'll still have competition with other fps' on other distribution networks, like steam.

Even if it's not ideal, as we can already see with digital versions being fixed in price to placate bricks and mortar partners we're already getting ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Fiachb7

FiachB7 -add me for some online mass effect! and no i wont be buying leviathan

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Any sign of Leviathan on the xbox live store?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Any sign of Leviathan on the xbox live store?

Its there now. Just queued up the download, so that it will be ready to go, when I get home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Operation was a success.
    Re: Operation ALLOY
    Confidentiality classification: XB-PRIME
    Distribution: N7 Forces Only

Soldiers of the Milky Way –

It is now common knowledge that Operation ALLOY did not go strictly as planned. Sweeps in what should have been relatively low-risk areas were met with heavy enemy resistance. Fortunately, reports from the field indicate that our troops persevered and were able to strike back. I’ve already been informed of a number of well-deserved promotions. In light of these reports, Operation ALLOY has been deemed a success.

Over the next few days you’ll likely hear many stories about our talented new recruits. I would also like to congratulate the experienced soldiers who fought alongside them. It is under your guidance and leadership that these new recruits excelled. They are now prepared to join our forces on the front lines, and we are all stronger for it.

While we celebrate Operation ALLOY’s success, we need to be aware that the unexpected resistance faced by our soldiers may be symptomatic of a larger issue. We’ve been receiving a number of strange reports that are inconsistent with our knowledge of Reaper ground troop movement. At this point, intel is vague at best. Rest assured we are pursuing the matter.

--Admiral Hackett

Congratulations, Alloy was a big success. For those interested in numbers:
    PC: 67,573
    PS3: 28,398
    XBox: 166,778

TOTAL: 262,749!

Reward packs will be granted starting later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Big difference between the 360 and everyone else.

This is the first one i did not bother with, might not play much unless there's new dlc or i need to get the readiness up again.

installing the new dlc now :)

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Finished it. Although I haven't seen what changes it makes to the ending.

By the numbers DLC in my opinion, doesn't add new gameplay wise but its a good from the story perspective.

installing the new dlc now :)

I'll await your spoiler-free review.

(Seems to be a lack of reviews on gaming sites).

Azza wrote: »
    Finished it. Although I haven't seen what changes it makes to the ending.

By the numbers DLC in my opinion, doesn't add new gameplay wise but its a good from the story perspective.

Haven't played it yet but from what was in the EC files its just a line or two in the ending.
    (Probably able to ask StarChild about Leviathan now that he knows about it)

• Advertisement

I'll await your spoiler-free review.

(Seems to be a lack of reviews on gaming sites).

Hmm spoiler free eh?

Okay, 10quid well spent. I'm rating this by how long i've played it against how long that tenner would have lasted in the pub so take that however you like :D

Yeah, story is quality, lots of dialogue, lots of shooting, some truly epic backdrops with a lot of attention to detail, read the notepads btw, lots more lore explained, and finally the M55 Argus Assault rifle, and to a lesser extent, the AT1 Raider shotgun, some multiplayer weapon mods made it into the dlc too, which is nice :) You'll get about 2-3 hours out of it on it's own.

out of ten? Solid 8.

Advertisement