Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just read that ALL PC copies of the game will require you to use Origin. Doesn't affect me as I'm on PS3 but I take it not all people like to use Origin?

You have to do a one time activation and then can do unlimited installs. Thats about as much effort as having to click an activation link to register for a website, but oh boy you know the whine-brigade will make it out to be worse than the Holocaust or such :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 12 ballyturtles

I am personally looking quite forward to the entire game, I have played mass effect from day 1, I know a lot players who have also played from the start view multiplayer as the end of all things but I personally don't. Now I am not a huge multiplayer fan in most games, the biggest multiplayer game I have is battlefield series, other than that most of all my games are single player based or I only really play the single player on it. But I will give ME3 multiplayer a go and see how it is, there is no point in judging it before you have played it as most everything you are basing your opinion off are other people opinions of it. Most likly what I will do is play what I need to to get the best ending and thats it, but you never know it could turn out to be brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Whatever way you look at it though the addition of these modes is definitely to expand the appeal of the game to a wider audience and every developer interview makes sure to mention that you don't need to have played the original to enjoy Mass Effect 3.

And that'd be the case even if it sold twice as many as every version of the call of duty series combined.
    I really can fathom how people can pretend to speak with such authority on how EA feels about the sales of a given title can also be amazed at the very concept that they'd like to sell even more next time.
    They want to make even more money? nofuckignway!

It will remain to be seen how these modes will affect the main game but I still find them utterly pointless.

Good thing it's optional then, isn't it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think ill get the ce for pc :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I didn't play much PS3 over Christmas. Waited all season to play games like Batman, Assassins Creed, Uncharted and Saints Row but none of them really gripped me for long. Even went off Skyrim. Thought I was just just going off gaming til I got stuck into Insanity Mode on ME 2. It's like playing it for the 1st time all over again and even though there is a LOT of reloading battles, i'm just hooked on it. Have Mordin, Garrus, Grunt, Kasumi and Zaeed. Just to get Jack before heading to Horizon, not looking forward to the Collectors on Insanity mode!

Playing this again has wiped any doubts I had about ME 3, Can't wait for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Playing this again has wiped any doubts I had about ME 3, Can't wait for it.

Might give it a go again before March, will try out the FemShep for a change maybe. Or try load in my save from ME1 where it was Liara my Shepard got with and see how that pans out, probably another rejection, much like Ashley. I hope the ME2 relationships & major decisions carry over a bit better into 3.

The collector base decision will hopefully have a major impact on the game, not like the Save the Council decision from ME1, which had practically no impact in ME2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Might give it a go again before March, will try out the FemShep for a change maybe.

Jennifer Hale is, for my money, the better of the two voice actors - so doing at least one playthrough with her is definitely worth it.

Femshep is a much better voice actor, now I see what all the fuss is about. I'd say the 'save the council decision' will kick in more as you are trying to 'recruit' actual races to back you up in the war. I'd say if you let them die and turned it into a human council, it will be a bit harder in ME 3.

Just doing a speed run with renegade femshep but will be interesting to have a renegade and paragon save file for ME3 to see the differences.

Just doing a speed run with renegade femshep but will be interesting to have a renegade and paragon save file for ME3 to see the differences.

I have a renegade and paragon save from ME2, both with the male Shepard, the paragon one will be my main one tho, as I let half the team die as a renegade.

So I must do a run with Femshep so, see what all the fuss is about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Femshep is the only way toplay it. Male shepard is so boring in comparison.

• Advertisement

Femshep is the only way to play it. Male shepard is so boring in comparison.

Really, I think he is great! Femshep must unreal so....Might get back into this sooner than later now..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jennifer Hale knocks the role out of the park. She brings a lot of range to all the options you take yet manages to keep it consistent throughout unlike male shepard who can seem to have mood swings depending on what option you pick. She's fantastic.

Have to agree with Retro, she does put maleshep to shame but he is my main paragon save file so will just have to do for ME 3. She makes maleshep sound like a piece of cardboard tho.

I saw some stats from bioware that showed 80% of ME 2 players picked Maleshep instead of Femshep, bit of a shame but thats life i spose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Femshep is a much better voice actor, now I see what all the fuss is about. I'd say the 'save the council decision' will kick in more as you are trying to 'recruit' actual races to back you up in the war. I'd say if you let them die and turned it into a human council, it will be a bit harder in ME 3.

I think that the decision you have to make about the Rachni Queen in ME1 will be the biggest factor in ME3. It wasn't even mentioned in ME2 so I'm assuming it will come back into play now. It will be interesting to see how my decision works for me.

Aw Ya Josey, that was the 1st thing I thought of when I was thinking about consequences. I let her live so hoping she backs me in the war with her army but you never know, she could try and destroy everyone. Either way, i'd say it will be much more interesting if you had let her live.

Acyually, just found this on the ME Wikia, sounds like even if you killed here, they would still be cloned to be used in the war.

Mass Effect 2 Consequences

If the Rachni Queen is killed, it will be revealed in a news report that data recovered from the Peak 15 facility on Noveria pointed to the cloning of rachni in the facility but none being found.

If the Rachni Queen is set free:
    A newscast reports sightings of elusive scout ships consistent with rachni design.
    She will send a message through an asari, on the planet Illium, who relays the Queen's gratitude for being freed, and that she promises her aid to Shepard "against the coming darkness."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

X-Box players are lucky. They have a whole trilogy where decisions from the first game will have effects in the final game (I assume?).

PS3 players start with a blank slate on ME2 and their decisions will only affect the final game.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think I'm gonna have to get a play through of ME2 in before 3 comes out because I no longer have a save file. A sassy Femshep sounds like she'd be fun to play as.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Tbh Mass Effects "decisions" always felt minimal and quite arbitrary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Stev_o wrote: »
    Only noticable impact was how much renegade/paragon points you got imo (yes, that includes the result of
    having all your crew members blended in ME2. I expect no noticable impact there as seen with ME1's decision to leave one member behind which only results in some mails being sent to you about it in ME2

The reason is simply that each game is intended to be stand alone; hence beyond some minor story tie in I don't expect ME1 & 2 decisions will have any impact.

Mass Effect 2 maybe but I had a lot of fun with them in Mass 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Nody wrote: »
    Only noticable impact was how much renegade/paragon points you got imo (yes, that includes the result of
    having all your crew members blended in ME2, no noticable impact there as seen with ME1's decision to leave one member behind
    Even the ME1s big decision point was pretty crap to leave someone behind to blow up that site. I didn't really care for either character that much and I didn't feel under pressure to make the decision I was like okay Ashley dies. Everything seems so very binary without having far reaching consequences like in other RPG's

J. Marston wrote: »
    PS3 players start with a blank slate on ME2 and their decisions will only affect the final game.

I played ME 1 on PC (don't enjoy playing PC games any more with my crap system) and then used the interactive comic for ME2 to pick the same decions I made when I played ME 1. Did you use the comic?

I didn't feel under pressure to make the decision I was like okay Ashley dies.

You let
    Ash
    die :eek:

You let
    Ash
    die :eek:

This is hardly a spoiler now after all these years since ME1?

I did find it a tough decision at the time, but I ended up saving the only one that my male Shepard was likely to get it ON with. :pac:

Ah it was spoilered 1st, didn't want to upset any sensitive heads. And yes, thats exactly why I picked her too, sorry Kaiden :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Most of the decisions in ME1 only really had cosmetic effects for ME2. Was nice to see certain characters i'd let live have a brief chat, but nothing really noticable or game changing, which was a shame.

Wrex being there, the council and whether its Ash/Kaiden on that planet are about the only things that change the story a bit (that i can remember anyway).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ah come on!

***Spoilers from ME1 and ME2***
    1. Wrex: You can choose to kill him in ME1, a hard choice on my first playthrough seeing as I didn't know if I could trust him anymore, and I barely had enough points to convince him.

2. Ashley/Kaiden: Jesus Christ, when I nearly cried when I came up against this decision. I chose Ash, but hearing Kaiden say goodbye was like bloody torture. I've replayed it several times now, and still have a hard time making that decision.

3. The Rachni: I still have a bad feeling about this. Sure, you met that Asari on Ilium that said she will back you up, but still, you could end up having to fight a crap tonne of Rachni on your way to the end of ME3 instead of just walking through husks.

4. The Geth: Choosing to reprogram or destroy all the geth is a hard decision. Reprogramming them is kind of like brainwashing, but then they're only machines, so why not just use them in your army? Yes they're machines, but they're now sentient, so brainwashing is wrong!?

5. Keeping the base at the end of ME2: I blew it to smithereens but I'd imagine if you kept it Cerberus will be more powerful in ME3.

These are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head, but there are so many more.

EDIT: Kiith, they may only have had cosmetic effects on ME2, but I'd imagine they'll play a major role in ME3... having Wrex in control of the Krogan homeworld rather than some random guy has to make a difference in the upcoming war.

Oh, and just to weigh in on the Femshep VS Maleshep discussion. Yes, Jennifer Hale does a better job at v/o, but for me, when I play through the game, I am Shepard. So playing as femshep serves only to take me out of the experience when I do it, because it doesn't feel as if it's my character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Ah come on!

These are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head, but there are so many more.

EDIT: Kiith, they may only have had cosmetic effects on ME2, but I'd imagine they'll play a major role in ME3... having Wrex in control of the Krogan homeworld rather than some random guy has to make a difference in the upcoming war.
    Why? Nothing so far has had ANY noticable bearing on the story (ME1 to ME2); chances it will suddenly change and force people to play through ME1 & ME2 to get the decions they want are utterly remote and if so you'll be asked the question (ala ME2 at the start) to redo them anyway (and hence your ME1 & 2 decisons are meaningless, i.e. you may be asked if you really want the Aracnids to join your side and have arguments in your crew about it but if you killed 'em in ME1 or not has no bearing on getting the queue for it).

To me this starts to sound like the Matrix fans after Matrix 2: "Oh yea, Matrix 2 was not good but once Matrix 3 comes out all will be explained!". Actually no; there is not going to be any noticable connection and Matrix 3 was just as much piece of crap with as many loop holes as Matrix 2; there is no golden bullet solution guys. They simply want to maximise the number of sold games of ME3 (which means it can't rely on what you did playing through ME1&2 for key points/story directions) and that's it; you'll get a few wink wink nudge nudge moments of ingame history but that's about it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Nody wrote: »
    Why? Nothing so far has had ANY noticable bearing on the story (ME1 to ME2); chances it will suddenly change and force people to play through ME1 & ME2 to get the decions they want are utterly remote and if so you'll be asked the question (ala ME2 at the start) to redo them anyway (and hence your ME1 & 2 decisons are meaningless, i.e. you may be asked if you really want the Aracnids to join your side and have arguments in your crew about it but if you killed 'em in ME1 or not has no bearing on getting the queue for it).

To me this starts to sound like the Matrix fans after Matrix 2: "Oh yea, Matrix 2 was not good but once Matrix 3 comes out all will be explained!". Actually no; there is not going to be any noticable connection and Matrix 3 was just as much piece of crap with as many loop holes as Matrix 2; there is no golden bullet solution guys. They simply want to maximise the number of sold games of ME3 (which means it can't rely on what you did playing through ME1&2 for key points/story directions) and that's it; you'll get a few wink wink nudge nudge moments of ingame history but that's about it.

Since you seem to know what's going to happen in ME3, how about you throw up some spoiler tags and tell us the entire story?

They've already said that some of your old team mates will be joining you, so the Ash/kaiden decision, along with the end of ME2 will be important. And what difference does it make if people who haven't played ME1 are given the option to let the Rachni join them? I have played it, so I expect my decision to still be in effect, not to be asked again, so that decision has bearing, and possibly a big bearing. <- see my spoilers about the rachni in previous post.

Fact is, you don't know, or I don't know how they'll treat the decision in ME3. There's no way however that they can gloss over decisions like the Geth and stuff. And I still maintain that if you killed Wrex in ME1, you'll have a far harder time getting the Krogan on your side in the upcoming war.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I can see
    the Ashley/Kaiden subplot being one of the more interesting ones in ME3. Their miraculous recovery after the Reaver attack never sat well with me so I'm hoping my decision not to cheat on them with Miranda will buy me some brownie points when they ultimately turn out to be a double agent/plant/Terminator/whatever.
    :o

• Advertisement

^ Cool!

I just hope ME3 has a decent antagonist, something ME2 sorely lacked.

Saren and Sovereign were great villains.

Advertisement