Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Thinking of going normal edition now too. CE is a mental price, 85.47 delivered via express delivery from Gamestop.:eek:

the pc collector's edition is 20 quid cheaper :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,604 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thats cuz consoles are far superior to PC's and the real gamers choice :pac:

I would def pay 60 euro for the CE. Thats what I paid for the Ass Creed revelations CE and it's got more or less the same amount of stuff but with a better box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

PC titles are always a bit cheaper aren't they?
    Its the 360 version I want anyways, tis a pain, I only want the DLC items, not the meaty physical extras, which get looked at once, then boxed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    PC titles are always a bit cheaper aren't they?
    Its the 360 version I want anyways, tis a pain, I only want the DLC items, not the meaty physical extras, which get looked at once, then boxed.

that's very true but when collectors edition of skyrim came out it was the same price on all platforms but regular edition then was cheaper than console.

• Advertisement

Actually, page 3 of that interview sounds very worrying. You pick a mode at the start of the game. Action, story or rpg. Not too sure how it works but hudson says if you pick action, the game will make dialog decisions for you and if you pick story, the combat speed is increased and is easier.

Hopefully rpg mode is the regular on.e. ****in awful decision by bioware, listening to whiney bitches that either say the combat is too hard or the story is roo complex. Fuk sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Actually, page 3 of that interview sounds very worrying. You pick a mode at the start of the game. Action, story or rpg. Not too sure how it works but hudson says if you pick action, the game will make dialog decisions for you and if you pick story, the combat speed is increased and is easier.

Hopefully rpg mode is the regular on.e. ****in awful decision by bioware, listening to whiney bitches that either say the combat is too hard or the story is roo complex. Fuk sake!

Ehhh, if you have the option to play just normal mode then who cares?

If you don't have the option of playing normal mode however...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

We also have a lot of feedback from people who say, "Your games look really cool, and I love the idea of the story and the characters. It looks awesome when I watch it on YouTube, but I’m just not that coordinated with a shooter. I would play it if I could figure out how to do combat."

I flat out refuse to believe that there are many people asking for this. Seriously, are people so stupid that they can't handle a few dialogue options and skill tree's? Mass Effect, and even more so with ME2, are not exactly tough games to figure out.

The only good thing i can see coming from this, is that surely it means they can't remove anymore of the RPG elements from the main game. What would be the point of having the RPG mode if they do...

Ya hopefully rpg mode is regular mode. True kiith, if someone gave this 'feedback' on an ME forum, they would get some amount of abuse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've got to a point where I simply can't watch / read developer interviews anymore, the interviewees are typically nothing more than mouthpieces for the publishers, coming out with fawning puffery & fantasy in equal measure. And the shills in games journalism are always willing to give them the platform. Seems Mass Effect 3's no different given the crap being spouted here - who in their right mind pays attention to that kind of request? "I love Call of Duty, but could you have it so there's no shooting, just cut-scenes?" (no smart comments from those in the back please!)

The debate about games "dumbing down" goes back and forth on a regular basis, and there's good points made on both sides; but when I read this kind of nonsense coming from developers, there can be no argument that some developers really are dumbing down their products to tick the boxes of some fantasised demographic.

To hell with this game - I'm out.
    I was an unapologetic fan of #1, #2 still had lots going for it, but number 3? Sod this, I'm voting with my closed wallet here: i'll watch the story on youTube rather than reward unadventurous development

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,012 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a weird decision alright and it has me apprehensive. EA are pushing Bioware to target a bigger audience and an RPG just doesn't cover a big enough base for them. Unfortunately it looks like having a bigger audience means including absolute morons.

I won't be buying the DLC this time after getting stung with Mass Effect 2. Found all the DLC to be dire and focused too much on combat which I founf to be really poor in Mass Effect 2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd say the DLC for this will be even more combat focussed. They certainly won't be story focussed, as the trilogy will be complete by the time it comes out. The only other thing they can do it introduce new characters for the inevitable sequels/games in the ME universe.

Still going to buy the game, and probably love it, but it's stupid decision.

Kiith wrote: »
    I flat out refuse to believe that there are many people asking for this. Seriously, are people so stupid that they can't handle a few dialogue options and skill tree's?

I think so, Yes, sure there are people in this thread complaining that ME has too much dialogue and choices, and all they want is action.

The rock solid fact page Wiki says RPG Mode will be the regular ME mode. Has to be a sickner for the devs as well that spent countless hours crafting the story just to be missed by some COD by who finds words too mind blowing.

It's really crap that EA/Bioware are trying to tick all the boxes. I guess MP was the start of it and now this. I just hope the game wasn't compromised because the devs were working on the modes instead of tweaking the game some more.

Actually, I have never seen this happen before where your actions from 2 previous games affects the 3rd game and how it plays out. It really is a brilliant achievement and then they add a 'skip this stupid talking and give me back my guns' button!

^ Couldn't agree more, definitely right to be worried about the game now, there is a good chance was compromised cause of all this rubbish they are adding in.

Any DLC is going to be mostly MP maps anyways.

Just as I was beginning to look forward to the game again, :(.

I just hope this "RPG" mode is more like Mass Effect 1 and not like the watered down RPG elements that were in ME2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,012 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think EA were disappointed with sales of Mass Effect 2 because it was only a few weeks before the game could be picked up brand new for 9.99. Probably the reason for multiplayer support and the idiotic action mode, try and rope in more potential buyers. Unfortunately it's the way of the industry now and I hope as well that it's not compromised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think EA were disappointed with sales of Mass Effect 2 .

They sold two million copies in the first week, stop talking nonsense.

They sold two million copies in the first week, stop talking nonsense.

There was a lot of unsold stock though and who knows how much it cost to develop. Can't I speculate? The 2 million number could have been shipped and not sold as well, lots of companieslike to release shipped figures instead of sold figures.

No doubt it sold well but EA might have been looking for a bigger hit and the low price point after only a few weeks suggests that they shipped a lot of copies that didn't sell.

I think EA were disappointed with sales of Mass Effect 2 because it was only a few weeks before the game could be picked up brand new for 9.99.

It did drop in price ridiculously fast, I was disgusted after playing 70quid for the CE. That's another reason why I think I will just get the normal edition this time around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'll pick up ME3 as I picked up ME2; once it's in a good enough sale below 10 EUR for a CE GOTY edition (or similar package). I don't have very high hopes for ME3 as I found ME2 being noticably worse then ME1 (for me) and hence I expect the final game to be the worst of the three (for me).

• Advertisement

There was a lot of unsold stock though and who knows how much it cost to develop. Can't I speculate? The 2 million number could have been shipped and not sold as well, lots of companieslike to release shipped figures instead of sold figures.

It was sales. And that was in the first week, not total.
    Add in the DLC money it was a great big commercial success no matter how you want to look at it.

The concept that "ohh, maybe it didn't sell well enough so now that's the reason they're adding features I don't care for and how very dare they" is utter nonsense.
    No doubt it sold well but EA might have been looking for a bigger hit and the low price point after only a few weeks suggests that they shipped a lot of copies that didn't sell.

Now, i never had to suffer the indignity of working for a games retailer, but I am under the impression that the stock is bought and paid for by the time it makes it to the shelves of game or whothefuckever. Now unless there's something else going on why in the name of all doddering fuck would EA care if Game have to slash the prices of the Mass Effect 2 because they ordered too many copies?
    EA have their money, and as the popular internet 'wisdom' goes, that's all they give a shit about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Now, i never had to suffer the indignity of working for a games retailer, but I am under the impression that the stock is bought and paid for by the time it makes it to the shelves of game or whothefuckever. Now unless there's something else going on why in the name of all doddering fuck would EA care if Game have to slash the prices of the Mass Effect 2 because they ordered too many copies?
    EA have their money, and as the popular internet 'wisdom' goes, that's all they give a shit about.
    Except that is unlikely to how things work in reality with shops (or so I'd guess based on my experience in the area of retail sales).

This is a more likely scenario. The stores (well retail chains) commit to buy X number of copies at price Y but EA also commits that they will get a certain percentage of sales at Y OR EA will compensate them. Why would EA do this? Very simple; if not the stores will refuse to stock their games or buy very low numbers of copies to avoid losses and EA can't get the shelf space they want and risk losing out on the first month's sale (which is the critical month for every game as it risk going into obscurity after that due to new releases). Hence EA promises a set of boxes will be shifted or will pay the difference/a fee for this not being the case (due to poor reviews, advertisement, weather or what not).

Started my insanity run on ME 2 again today. Forgot how brilliant the game is. Just trying to recruit mordin and some of the battles are well tough. Also playing as a renegade femshep is well class

Just read that ALL PC copies of the game will require you to use Origin. Doesn't affect me as I'm on PS3 but I take it not all people like to use Origin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Yeah its EA fighting those peski pirates by shafting the good folk who buy it :rolleyes:

Just read that ALL PC copies of the game will require you to use Origin. Doesn't affect me as I'm on PS3 but I take it not all people like to use Origin?
    Well ME2 required you to be connected to Origin to use any DLCs so hardly a surprise there...

Nody wrote: »
    Except that is unlikely to how things work in reality with shops (or so I'd guess based on my experience in the area of retail sales).

This is a more likely scenario. The stores (well retail chains) commit to buy X number of copies at price Y but EA also commits that they will get a certain percentage of sales at Y OR EA will compensate them. Why would EA do this? Very simple; if not the stores will refuse to stock their games or buy very low numbers of copies to avoid losses and EA can't get the shelf space they want and risk losing out on the first month's sale (which is the critical month for every game as it risk going into obscurity after that due to new releases). Hence EA promises a set of boxes will be shifted or will pay the difference/a fee for this not being the case (due to poor reviews, advertisement, weather or what not).

Fair enough, but at 2 million sold in the first week i can't imagine the percentage value of 'y' in this scenario not being hit. Unless Y was at retardo levels, but if there's one thing EA does well it's the business side of games sooooo.....

Basically, there is really no way I can see the sales of Mass effect 2 being a 'disappointment' to EA to the degree that these new gameplay modes that have peoples panties in a bunch were demanded of bioware.

I do also call a mild case of bull**** on this whole "in a few weeks i could get it for a tenner" scenario because i still can't find it for that price in a bricks and mortar shop and this is nearly two years later.
    But that's neither here nor there.

Basically, there is really no way I can see the sales of Mass effect 2 being a 'disappointment' to EA to the degree that these new gameplay modes that have peoples panties in a bunch were demanded of bioware.

The only reason for a game that sold so well to be so heavily discounted so quickly is if there's a lot of unsold copies. EA more than likely shipped too many to stores and when games go on sale like that a publisher does a deal with stores and takes a hit. There's a good article about it on eurogamer somewhere. Putting 2 and 2 together I think Mass Effect 2 was heavily discounted so early because EA shipped far too many copies and even though it sold well it didn't hit EA's expected figures and they might have taken a hit because of the big discount to ship unsold units.

Was just talking to a friend yesterday who was saying the old gamestop manager he works for was saying how Gamestop head office really aren't happy with the sales of Rage and all the stock they have been left with and are in a similar position negotiating with the publisher.

Whatever way you look at it though the addition of these modes is definitely to expand the appeal of the game to a wider audience and every developer interview makes sure to mention that you don't need to have played the original to enjoy Mass Effect 3. It will remain to be seen how these modes will affect the main game but I still find them utterly pointless.
    I do also call a mild case of bull**** on this whole "in a few weeks i could get it for a tenner" scenario because i still can't find it for that price in a bricks and mortar shop and this is nearly two years later.
    But that's neither here nor there.

Got mine online for a tenner, maybe a little more with shipping. I remember it being 15 online for ages and not buying it because I was waiting for a GOTY edition but when it when to ten I couldn't say no.

Edit: Looking through my e-mails I got it from Zavvi for 8.45 euros delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

With regard to splitting the game up into three different sections, personally I think it's ****ing genius. Why? Because of metrics. Metrics metrics metrics and more metrics. You know what the very first thing EA and Bioware are going to do on the day of release? They're going to look at what modes people are playing and I'd wager that the results they see will shape the development of their roster of titles considerably for the next couple of years.

Hopefully, and I'm talking about crossing every appendage we have here, they see that the majority of people play and complete RPG mode first. :o

As for those worried about the game being diluted because of this, I wouldn't really worry too much. RPG Mode will have been the primary focus of development with the changes being made separately for the other two modes as they went. I really can't see them trying to make allowances for each one while putting RPG together, it'd end up in total chaos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,138 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Only bought Mass Effect 2, came pre-loaded with all the DLC which was great, from Amazon for the PS3 before Christmas, never played the first one but read up a bit about it and watched a summary so I wouldn't be completely lost. What a game! Shame that first will never see a PS3 release because I'd love to play it.

Anyway, finished it the first time a with a goodie two shoes male Shephard and got the good ending and then dived back in and started a renegade playthrough as a female Shephard. Looking forward to seeing how my choices will affect Mass Effect 3.

Advertisement