Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

Why not cut out the middle man (IMRA) and let the AAI select the teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I still don't see what makes one runner pre-selectable before another? Pre-selection IMHO is fraught, unless there is transparent and agreed criteria.

An impressive half marathon time is one thing, but if your last mountain race was 2 years ago what does that tell you in isolation?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

ocnoc wrote: »
    Only 3 would have meet the AAI criteria of competing in the Irish Championships.

Correct, but wrong 3 - the 3 are Barry Minnock, Mark Ryan, Ian Conroy :)
    MacMahon & Furey would also qualify from road 10k

The IMRA Irish Championship is really a badly titled competition IMHO. It does not have championship status and nor should it have as it's on terrain that is not comparable to euro/world championship races. Some consistency is required. It should be called the Irish League.

There should be 2 Irish mountain running championship races and both should be given AAI championship status:
    - National Uphill Championship
    - National Mountain Championship
    with these championship races used as trial races, solving lots of problems :)

A proper championship would help increase competition. As solely a trial, placing in these competitions doesn't matter - temporary bragging rights always replaced by performances in euros/worlds.

Why can't I resist the temptation of getting involved in these discussions? :)

Actually, following on from Enduro's advice, I'm going to construct this as a motion for AGM ...

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

bazman wrote: »
    The IMRA Irish Championship is really a badly titled competition IMHO. It does not have championship status and nor should it have as it's on terrain that is not comparable to euro/world championship races. Some consistency is required. It should be called the Irish League.

Are you serious?
    Last time I checked it was the Irish MOUNTAIN Running, not Irish TRAIL running.

Have you raced in the UK at all or have you see the British Fell Running Championship races?

They hold separate International Trial races - are the UK guys out performing the Irish guys on the International circuit??

Are you serious?
    Last time I checked it was the Irish MOUNTAIN Running, not Irish TRAIL running.

Have you raced in the UK at all or have you see the British Fell Running Championship races?

They hold separate International Trial races - are the UK guys out performing the Irish guys on the International circuit??

Do I suspect a hint of jealousy here? :D Lets throw in some rocks to slow the fast guys down - mountain running on a European & World level is about gradient, not technical running. It should be about fitness and strength, not about who's willing to take the most risks.

If we sent regular IMRA runners we would be well behind our UK rivals. With the current pre-selections and those going for trial we will have a competitive Irish team. Anyone who thinks otherwise have not been to one of these championships.

This bravado around technical running is what's wrong with Irish mountain running and is why it's not respected. Of course there is a place for technical races with IMRA. If we had a AAI championship on terrain equivalent to euro/world champs we would raise the standard. That's what we need.

AAI to take over Irish mountain running championship races.
    IMRA to rename their races.

All controversial I know, but it will happen - only a matter of time ...

p.s. fell Running is not the same as mountain running
    & yes I have tried an odd Brittish fell race

• Advertisement

Do I suspect a hint of jealousy here? :D Lets throw in some rocks to slow the fast guys down - mountain running on a European & World level is about gradient, not technical running. It should be about fitness and strength, not about who's willing to take the most risks.

If we sent regular IMRA runners we would be well behind our UK rivals. With the current pre-selections and those going for trial we will have a competitive Irish team. Anyone who thinks otherwise have not been to one of these championships.

This bravado around technical running is what's wrong with Irish mountain running and is why it's not respected. Of course there is a place for technical races with IMRA. If we had a AAI championship on terrain equivalent to euro/world champs we would raise the standard. That's what we need.

AAI to take over Irish mountain running championship races.
    IMRA to rename their races.

All controversial I know, but it will happen - only a matter of time ...

p.s. fell Running is not the same as mountain running
    & yes I have tried an odd Brittish fell race

Jealousy isn't a word I'd use to describe my sentiments towards all this lark.
    At the end of the day, it makes no difference to me who gets selected. I just think that an athlete should be involved in mountain running to get selected as seen as they are getting funded by IMRA.

Oh, and baz, I'm an orienteer'er, not a runner.
    I use off road IMRA races to complement my training.

I would direct you to O.ie, but I'm pretty sure, trying to stay completely mentally focused on a highly detailed map making split second decisions while racing over rough forested and mountainous terrain wouldn't be your cup of tea :)

Lets throw in some rocks to slow the fast guys down

I find deep heather and bog tends to shut people up more quickly.
    Not a great fan of rocks myself ;)

Jealousy isn't a word I'd use to describe my sentiments towards all this lark.
    At the end of the day, it makes no difference to me who gets selected. I just think that an athlete should be involved in mountain running to get selected as seen as they are getting funded by IMRA.

Oh, and baz, I'm an orienteer'er, not a runner.
    I use off road IMRA races to complement my training.

I would direct you to O.ie, but I'm pretty sure, trying to stay completely mentally focused on a highly detailed map making split second decisions while racing over rough forested and mountainous terrain wouldn't be your cup of tea :)

For someone into orienteering, you've a lot of opinions on mountain running - if it makes no difference, why post? Slagging was only a bit of banter :) I enjoy running as hard as I can. You're right - orienteering isn't my cup of tea & I don't know much about it, so I don't go onto orienteering forums offering my opinion.

You've hit a key item here - IMRA part-funding teams that really should be AAI-funded. It's a difficult one, but the main thing for now is I believe the selectors are doing the best possible at the moment to send the most competitive team and that's in everyone's interest.

Be aware that funding going to senior runners for euro/world champs isn't that much - LOC cover hotel/food costs, AAI for gear & contribution, athletes make significant contribution & so IMRA only part pay flights. Not that big a deal and it's money well spent in my opinion. Vast majority of funding goes to underage runners, but yet this doesn't seem to get much attention.

For someone into orienteering, you've a lot of opinions on mountain running - if it makes no difference, why post? Slagging was only a bit of banter :) I enjoy running as hard as I can. You're right - orienteering isn't my cup of tea & I don't know much about it, so I don't go onto orienteering forums offering my opinion.

You've hit a key item here - IMRA part-funding teams that really should be AAI-funded. It's a difficult one, but the main thing for now is I believe the selectors are doing the best possible at the moment to send the most competitive team and that's in everyone's interest.

Be aware that funding going to senior runners for euro/world champs isn't that much - LOC cover hotel/food costs, AAI for gear & contribution, athletes make significant contribution & so IMRA only part pay flights. Not that big a deal and it's money well spent in my opinion. Vast majority of funding goes to underage runners, but yet this doesn't seem to get much attention.

For a road runner you've a lot of opinions on mountain running.

The funding is what I am most interested in.
    In orienteering, a fair bit of resources were pumped into it to get a competitive junior squad up and running. A gang of juniors begin to train and everyone of them wants to be on top... Slowly this has filtered through to Senior level and now the standard at senior level is beginning to be raised, slowly but surely.

I don't understand why this isn't happening in IMRA. Surely it would be better for the sport if more runners got involved at the sharp end.
    PF mentioned raising the standard of the regular IMRA runner - well if the roadies that are hoping to be selected got more involved, surely that would raise the standard across the board??

For a road runner you've a lot of opinions on mountain running.

I'll hit my 100th IMRA race on Saturday - think that qualifies me as a mountain runner. 4 senior international events gives me a right to comment?
    Turn up at trial on Saturday and you'll have right to comment :)

Road running definitely compliments mountain running - ask John 'the legend' Lenihan.
    In orienteering, a fair bit of resources were pumped into it to get a competitive junior squad up and running. A gang of juniors begin to train and everyone of them wants to be on top... Slowly this has filtered through to Senior level and now the standard at senior level is beginning to be raised, slowly but surely.

I don't understand why this isn't happening in IMRA. Surely it would be better for the sport if more runners got involved at the sharp end.
    PF mentioned raising the standard of the regular IMRA runner - well if the roadies that are hoping to be selected got more involved, surely that would raise the standard across the board??

IMRA have invested heavily in underage levels, but have not got a return. All the quality leave the sport as it's not truly respected by 'athletes'. To change this championship races need to be tough but runnable so that good athletes know risk of injury is limited. Also there needs to be true championship status sanctioned by AAI. Just my opinion & I reserve the right to change my mind :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

For someone into orienteering, you've a lot of opinions on mountain running

IMRA was founded by orienteers.

You hit a good point though. British fell running and European mountain running are essentially different sports. Unfortunately there's a sizeable proportion of the IMRA membership with a preference for the fell running side of things (including myself) and no World fell running championship that I can see. I see tailoring the trials to anemic inclined road races as a necessary evil from that point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

Correct, but wrong 3 - the 3 are Barry Minnock, Mark Ryan, Ian Conroy :)
    MacMahon & Furey would also qualify from road 10k

There should be 2 Irish mountain running championship races and both should be given AAI championship status:
    - National Uphill Championship
    - National Mountain Championship
    with these championship races used as trial races, solving lots of problems :)

A proper championship would help increase competition. As solely a trial, placing in these competitions doesn't matter - temporary bragging rights always replaced by performances in euros/worlds.

Why can't I resist the temptation of getting involved in these discussions? :)

Actually, following on from Enduro's advice, I'm going to construct this as a motion for AGM ...

I would support that motion, I believe the controversy around it would be largely semantic (I'll explain) but that this proposal could actually have a chance of affecting a lasting change in IMRA high performance levels. There is no doubt an AAI sanction matters and would heighten the prestige of an event just as EVAA and IAAF involvement has done for the Europeans and the Worlds.

As for the controversy being merely semantic: Mountain running as it is generally understood by the WMRA is on good paths, it just so happens to be confusing here because IMRA uses the name "mountain running association" when in reality its major championship series are fell running events. Fell running obviously has not been adopted here because the local hills are not branded with that term but things would be easier to distinguish if they were.

Sarah Rowell uses the same distinction in "Off-Road Running" where she has separate chapters for fell running, mountain running (the European kidn), cross-country running and orienteering.

The title "Irish League" may take away too much from the event for some people but if IMRA decides to remove the Championship nomer to avoid confusion with a proposed AAI sanctioned championship, it should be easy to come up with a suitably attractive title perhaps adding Trophy or similar. The Lakeland Classic Trophy is a good example of a major championship in this vein which still retains its magic and prestige (if not numbers). An alternative is to call it the IMRA Championship etc.

From a coaches perspective operating within an athletics club, it has been hard work to get our sport respected. We now have our own dedicated section and obviously dedicated coach (e.g. me) for the discipline but we're still the ugly duckling. AAI sanctioned championships for our club to target would help my daily proselytising intra-club to no end. I memorably remember one older board member stating to Aoife when she first qualified for the Worlds and they realised it was AAI supported "oh, it's like a real championship".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

This has turned into a very interesting debate indeed.

I agree with you there that this is the key point of the whole debate. I don't think that anyone doubts that the selectors are taking the actions that they are for any other reason than to send the best possible team to the worlds. And I think we can all agree that it is the AAI that should be funding the athletes (and indeed selecting, organising the trials / selections rules etc). However the reality is that this isn't the case (and is unlikely to be the case for the foreseeable future) and that's where the debate arises. It's the current reality we need to deal with, not the ideal optimal situation.

The difference of opinion here really arises out of where people think the emphasis should be. There is the school of thought that everything should be done to send the best possible team to any given international championship, no matter who they are or what their prior relationship with IMRA is/was.

And then there is the school of thought that IMRA is an organisation that is made up of and funded by its regular members, and as such its prime focus should be on catering to these members. Since IMRA is providing a large amount of the funding for the international teams (from the race fees of the regular membership) it irks a lot of people to see this money spent on runners who do not engage with IMRA on any kind of regular basis (PeterX, Bazman, you definitely do not fall into this category!!!). Equality it iks people to see non-regular runners get special treatment when it comes to pre-selection.

A huge percentage of IMRA's annual budget goes on international funding (Both junior and senior). IIRC, off the top of my head, its over 50% of our annual spend. That's a serious amount of money for such a small organisation. If the internationals consider that the IMRA conrtibution is not a big deal then we should defintely stop this funding and use it for something more benificial to the membership at large, rather then the elite few. That would kill off my issues with the international selections, which are mainly to do with the race fees of hundreds of people being used to fund internationals who make no contribution to IMRA, bar doing what is necessary to get their Irish vest (When those same contributers are expected to volunteer to get their LL prize etc, a mere fraction of the funding given to non-contibuting internationals).

Underage funding is a seperate debate I think, so I won't get into it here.

IMRA have invested heavily in underage levels, but have not got a return. All the quality leave the sport as it's not truly respected by 'athletes'. To change this championship races need to be tough but runnable so that good athletes know risk of injury is limited. Also there needs to be true championship status sanctioned by AAI. Just my opinion & I reserve the right to change my mind :D

Do really think that all the juniors dissapear because the championship races are the wrong format! I really doubt that that is the reason. Mountain biking has the same issue, and there is no doubting the status of their national championships. I think the explanations are far more real world than that (leave school, go to college, get distracted by all the usual new distractions available!!)

Raighne wrote: »
    I would support that motion, I believe the controversy around it would be largely semantic (I'll explain) but that this proposal could actually have a chance of affecting a lasting change in IMRA high performance levels. There is no doubt an AAI sanction matters and would heighten the prestige of an event just as EVAA and IAAF involvement has done for the Europeans and the Worlds.

Hoisted by my own petard :D. Putting any/all of these motions forward for the AGM would be great, as it would get the whole thing debated. Of course getting people to turn up for the debate is the bigger problem!

Again, I would have my doubts that the AAI care enough about hill running to get involved with the national championships. It would be great to be proved wrong. But until they do we will have to continue to operate as we currently do and administer everything ourselves (IMRA is of course recognised by both AAI and WMRA as being the governing body for mountain running in Ireland).
    As for the controversy being merely semantic: Mountain running as it is generally understood by the WMRA is on good paths, it just so happens to be confusing here because IMRA uses the name "mountain running association" when in reality its major championship series are fell running events. Fell running obviously has not been adopted here because the local hills are not branded with that term but things would be easier to distinguish if they were.

Sarah Rowell uses the same distinction in "Off-Road Running" where she has separate chapters for fell running, mountain running (the European kidn), cross-country running and orienteering.

The title "Irish League" may take away too much from the event for some people but if IMRA decides to remove the Championship nomer to avoid confusion with a proposed AAI sanctioned championship, it should be easy to come up with a suitably attractive title perhaps adding Trophy or similar. The Lakeland Classic Trophy is a good example of a major championship in this vein which still retains its magic and prestige (if not numbers). An alternative is to call it the IMRA Championship etc.

To me this is a seperate issue from the key points being debated, which is international selection and funding. However, to engage with your point, If the AAI did want to come in and sanction and Irish championship event, I personally wouldn't see any issues in renaming all the various events to make it all fit. My only goal would be to ensure that the series of races currently known as the Irish championship survived as the pincacle league series of Irish fell running (to use your terminology). Again, I just can't see the AAI being bothered to make this happen.

In the mean time, the reality is that IMRA is primarily a fell running organisation, under your terms. The membership consitently vote with their feet on this one. The tougher LL is better supported than the trail league (A league of more european style races). The spring trail league, again consiting of more european style trail races, didn't garner a huge amount of support from the regular membership. Anecdotally, Its pretty much been 100% my expereince that the tougher (more fell like) the race, the better the feedback from participants about the race. And again, to me what matters is the membership, not the international teams.
    From a coaches perspective operating within an athletics club, it has been hard work to get our sport respected. We now have our own dedicated section and obviously dedicated coach (e.g. me) for the discipline but we're still the ugly duckling. AAI sanctioned championships for our club to target would help my daily proselytising intra-club to no end. I memorably remember one older board member stating to Aoife when she first qualified for the Worlds and they realised it was AAI supported "oh, it's like a real championship".

I feel your pain! But unfortunately its outside our control to a large extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

@Enduro - I feel this debate has focussed mainly on the "IMRAness" of the people chosen.
    You are fully entitled to your strong feelings on the funding issue but in my opinion the whole funding aspect whilst linked is a different debate with potentially wider interest to the 1619 IMRA runners in 2011 who have provided these monies.
    I feel you either fully support the High Performance Officer and the ethos of sending strong teams or entirely scrap the international aspect of the organisation and that is yet another motion likely to lead to lively debate!

The very lively debate of 2009 led to more tea and sambos after races for the membership which could be revived again, along with the percentages;)

Enduro wrote: »
    Anecdotally, Its pretty much been 100% my expereince that the tougher (more fell like) the race, the better the feedback from participants about the race. And again, to me what matters is the membership, not the international teams.
    QUOTE]

Whatever about the anecdotes the numbers consistently say Wednesday evening summer racing within 20km of South Dublin is the THE most popular aspect of IMRA racing, followed by weekend racing in the winter league.

Do really think that all the juniors dissapear because the championship races are the wrong format! I really doubt that that is the reason. Mountain biking has the same issue, and there is no doubting the status of their national championships. I think the explanations are far more real world than that (leave school, go to college, get distracted by all the usual new distractions available!!)

It's definitely a factor. Many of the former IMRA underage internationals remain in athletes but are told to avoid the hills primarily due to the risk of injury. There is nothing wrong with the current IMRA race schedule - some absolutely fantastic routes and I'm certainly not suggesting changing the classic races. I just think there is a place for AAI sanctioned Euro style championship races in order to attract higher quality to the hills.
    A huge percentage of IMRA's annual budget goes on international funding (Both junior and senior). IIRC, off the top of my head, its over 50% of our annual spend. That's a serious amount of money for such a small organisation. If the internationals consider that the IMRA conrtibution is not a big deal then we should defintely stop this funding and use it for something more benificial to the membership at large, rather then the elite few. That would kill off my issues with the international selections, which are mainly to do with the race fees of hundreds of people being used to fund internationals who make no contribution to IMRA, bar doing what is necessary to get their Irish vest (When those same contributers are expected to volunteer to get their LL prize etc, a mere fraction of the funding given to non-contibuting internationals).

Underage funding is a seperate debate I think, so I won't get into it here.

50% is a substantial amount, but it's probably only 15-20% to senior athletes and to me this is a good investment for IMRA. If it's a funding issue then underage has to be part of the discussion as they are way more expesive due to the extra competitions, competitors and management requirement.

Senior athletes always get the grief for this funding question. Seniors like Brian and Stephen invest a lot personally to make sure they are in peak condition for the mountains and deserve pre-selection as they've proved their class. It's particularly exciting to attract a talent like Stephen to the hills and it could lead to someone coming up board soon who has a change of individual medal (e.g. Fionnuala Britton would be an exciting prospect in an uphill race). Why force people into running unsuitable IMRA races?

Cost of race entry is only €7 and IMRA give so much back to regular IMRA runners (e.g. LL prize). Why is there so much begrudgery to some funding going to quality athletes? Even if they are not regulars they give a lot back to IMRA and mountain running.

It comes up every year to the point that athletes feel guilty going on international trips. As I've said before LOC pay food & accomodation, AAI gear & contribution, athletes typically €150 each toward flight with IMRA only paying rest of flight costs. Not that much and good value. Debate is healthy, but better get back to work here :)

Peterx wrote: »
    @Enduro - I feel this debate has focussed mainly on the "IMRAness" of the people chosen.
    You are fully entitled to your strong feelings on the funding issue but in my opinion the whole funding aspect whilst linked is a different debate with potentially wider interest to the 1619 IMRA runners in 2011 who have provided these monies.
    I feel you either fully support the High Performance Officer and the ethos of sending strong teams or entirely scrap the international aspect of the organisation and that is yet another motion likely to lead to lively debate!

The very lively debate of 2009 led to more tea and sambos after races for the membership which could be revived again, along with the percentages;)

As it happens, I personally think even more tea and sambos (It rarely happens in Leinster) would be a very good idea to boost the social side of IMRA, and to give a bit more back to the membership.

I disagree that it needs to be all or nothing with the international aspect. There is plenty of middle ground in there. I don't see any reason why some preference shouldn't be given to regular IMRA runners, even from a developmental POV.
    Whatever about the anecdotes the numbers consistently say Wednesday evening summer racing within 20km of South Dublin is the THE most popular aspect of IMRA racing, followed by weekend racing in the winter league.

Indeed. But then the trail league and the LL have comparable races in that they both broadly meet this criteria... and the LL gets more runners than the TL.

It's definitely a factor. Many of the former IMRA underage internationals remain in athletes but are told to avoid the hills primarily due to the risk of injury. There is nothing wrong with the current IMRA race schedule - some absolutely fantastic routes and I'm certainly not suggesting changing the classic races. I just think there is a place for AAI sanctioned Euro style championship races in order to attract higher quality to the hills.

That's a fair point... lots of coaches have no idea about the hills.

I'm not disagreeing with having an international style Irish championsip race endorsed by AAI. In fact I think it would be very benificial for IMRA, for the reason you outlined. I just can't see AAI being bothered.
    50% is a substantial amount, but it's probably only 15-20% to senior athletes and to me this is a good investment for IMRA. If it's a funding issue then underage has to be part of the discussion as they are way more expesive due to the extra competitions, competitors and management requirement.

Senior athletes always get the grief for this funding question. Seniors like Brian and Stephen invest a lot personally to make sure they are in peak condition for the mountains and deserve pre-selection as they've proved their class. It's particularly exciting to attract a talent like Stephen to the hills and it could lead to someone coming up board soon who has a change of individual medal (e.g. Fionnuala Britton would be an exciting prospect in an uphill race). Why force people into running unsuitable IMRA races?

Volunteering would be even better than running races!!! No chance of injury (or picking up usefull hillrunning skillsets) that way either :)

I's kind of pointless arguing the relative costs of underage and seniors without the figures to hand, so I'll leave it be until I can find what the actual numbers are!

I'm not questioning the class or ability of any runners selected for the international team. (However I would question the aversion shown to the Irish mountain running scene as I think they are losing out as a result, but that's a seperate discussion.).
    Cost of race entry is only €7 and IMRA give so much back to regular IMRA runners (e.g. LL prize). Why is there so much begrudgery to some funding going to quality athletes? Even if they are not regulars they give a lot back to IMRA and mountain running.

That's where I disagree. To my mind, anyone who does the trials, then gets funded to head to internationals, and does no more, is not giving anything back. It's in stark contrast to the likes of yourself, Peter, John Lenihan etc. In fact they are getting a lot from IMRA. As well as the funding they are also getting the chance to earn an Irish vest and represent their country (and our association) internationally. To my mind that's a very big thing that shouldn't be dismissed lightly.
    It comes up every year to the point that athletes feel guilty going on international trips. As I've said before LOC pay food & accomodation, AAI gear & contribution, athletes typically €150 each toward flight with IMRA only paying rest of flight costs. Not that much and good value. Debate is healthy, but better get back to work here :)

The argument/debate isn't targetted at individual runners, but rather IMRA policy. If the athletes still feel guilty then they are more than welcome to give something back to the organisation by volunteering in any way like (as many, such as yourself, have done to a huge extent in the past).

You're being dismissive again of a huge cost to IMRA. Flights can be quite expensive, so the difference between €150 and the full cost can be quite a lot, especally when multiplied accross 8 or 9 people. If you think it's insignificant then my issue with the current set-up would be removed if the athletes paid their own way. There is a lot that could potential be done with that kind of money which you consider insignificant. Actual figures would be useful here... I can try and get them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

Even if they are not regulars they give a lot back to IMRA and mountain running.

Could you elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

robroy1234 wrote: »
    I tried to organise some races here in Mayo - and got shot down by my Athletics Club, and no support from the Mayo Sport Partnership - the same happened with the running workshop I planned. I would like to start up a series of races starting from Donegal down to Galway including the Connacht Champs, but need a lot more support locally. That won't happen until we get some success in the mountain running scene, which is slowly developing since myself and Roger Barrett are now leading the charge...

Rob. Send me a PM on this. Am from Sligo have experience organising Connaught champs and can provide info and support for you in how to approach getting a race going in conjunction with IMRA.

The Trail League is still a popular crowd puller. c. 140 runners in Devil's Glen this evening.

I'm such an ould wannabe luddite, the almost offensive efficency of the results system that IMRA has is approaching craziness - it's so impressive that the results of a race held on a side of a mountain are up on da interweb within a couple of hours.
    Well done Ian McGrath, gotta get that man a club!

Peterx wrote: »
    Well done Ian McGrath, gotta get that man a club!

He is an undeclared boardsie on the trails ;) On the roads he's a Bray Runners man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Raighne. Mountains in England are known as fells. If they were exclusively known as mountains then the FRA would probably be called the MRA.

The IMRA is the organisation for running up and down Irish mountains. Things are quite easy to compare and distinguish: All you have to do is know and be aware that mountains and mountain paths vary from geographical area to geographical area.

Not a different discipline per se. Just different mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

T runner wrote: »
    Raighne. Mountains in England are known as fells. If they were exclusively known as mountains then the FRA would probably be called the MRA.

The IMRA is the organisation for running up and down Irish mountains. Things are quite easy to compare and distinguish: All you have to do is know and be aware that mountains and mountain paths vary from geographical area to geographical area.

Not a different discipline per se. Just different mountains.

Not entirely correct and I think you misunderstood the message I was trying to convey in my post. First things first: Fells is a term used mainly in North-East England and the Isle of Man where the Viking influence was strongest (from our Danish word "fjeld" or the Norwegian "fjell"). In other parts of England the term has less usage and you will hear the term hill-walking more regularly rather than "fell-walking". However, the FRA and BOFRA obviously took their names from fell-running possibly because the main races originated in the Lake District and Yorkshire.

If you read my post again you will see that I point out the common usage of the term as represented by Sarah Rowell in her book "Off-Road Running". While fell-running is not an officially different discipline from mountain running in IAAF terms, it is used to signify a slightly different type of running. I'll paraphrase Sarah's terminology below as its consistent with my own experiences of the use in the Lakes and Yorkshire.

Fell-running: The Collins English dictionary defines fell as a "mountain, hill or tract of upland moor". Fell running is therefore running over such terrain. By its very nature, pure fell running is about being in countryside that is mainly unspoilt, exposed, wild, beautiful, and also then potentially dangerous. It is about running without paths and restrictions or encountering hordes of people in the hills

Mountain-running: In its simplest form, mountain running is running in the mountains, normally on good trails and paths. Mountain racing is a predominently continental sport, involving running up mountains, normally on a mixture of road and good off-road trails with no navigation or route choice required (Rowell, p. 104)

As for the distinction between mountain and hill obviously no satisfying definition exists (or any widely agreed on). Personally, I go with Alfred Wainwright's, as its hard to imagine a greater authority on the topic, that the difference between a mountain and a hill is the terrain not the altitude, a hill being mainly grassy and a mountain mainly rocky. By the definition, I personally consider most of the Wicklow "mountains" hills whereas peaks such as most of the Reeks and Croagh Patrick are mountains.

Could you elaborate?

Top athletes show IMRA regulars, like myself, what is possible with dedication and focused training. They increase the profile of IMRA and give mountain running respect within the wider athletic community. They open coaches eyes to the benefits of mountain running and increase chances of good athletes not being ostracised for trying the sport out. They increase chances of keeping talented youngsters in the sport. They compete adequately against the best in Europe and the world, giving us all pride in the vest. They make a potentially worthless Irish cap worth something. They promote and increase the popularity of IMRA.

When athletes look on AAI website and see for example Stephen Scullion names on the team they take notice. Attracting high profile names to the mountain running is good for Ireland, IMRA, AAI and running in general.

Re Enduros comment re AAI wanting to take on a mountain running championship - you are probably right at the moment, but one big (i.e. top-10 world senior, top-5 Europe senior) performance would completely change their perspective ...

Great answer Bazman.
    They compete adequately against the best in Europe and the world, giving us all pride in the vest. They make a potentially worthless Irish cap worth something.

However, that irks! An Irish cap should never be worthless. I don't really believe that you think it would be.

I would also presume that everyone who runs for Ireland at the worlds/europeans competes to the best of their ability. And that's all that I/we could ask of them. That, to me, is competing adequately against the best in Europe and the World. Frankly, I'm not in the least bit bothered whether a runner comes 27th, 57th or 107th, as long as they gave it their best shot. Likewise with the team results. We're not threatening the podium in either case, and I don't forsee that we will be in the future (being realistic).

• Advertisement

However, that irks! An Irish cap should never be worthless. I don't really believe that you think it would be.

Bad choice of words - no I don't believe it would ever be considered worthless :) However, respect in relation any achievement is linked to how difficult it is to achieve.

This year it will be bloody difficult to get on the team and that's the way it should be. For the first time in ages I expect it will be very difficult to pick the top-4 scorers from the 6 selected in the senior men - also the way it should be.

Advertisement