Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

It was Marshalled last year :-) no need now, Krusty has done a great job. There will also be a Marshall at the Lough Tay turn off - down to ballinastoe.
    This is the only point where someone went astray last year. Even if she did hole the record for the old course :-).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Excellent, thanks all for that. I see the bus stop just up from the cul de sac, could be tempting if you hear one coming from behind you :p

Has anyone been around the course recently ? With the warmish weather lately my local trails, and some of those around the Phoenix Park that are usually quite manky, have dried up quite a bit. Of course the hills will be quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Everyone has gone distance mad!!

Wish IMRA had an insain sprint race... Something like Wicklow Gap to Tonelegee and straight back down... :(

Straight line up and down is 2miles. It would be awesome.
    Toying with death at max speed...

Toy with death for ~10mins or slogging it out for a minimum of 90mins....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

ocnoc wrote: »
    Everyone has gone distance mad!!

Wish IMRA had an insain sprint race... Something like Wicklow Gap to Tonelegee and straight back down... :(

Straight line up and down is 2miles. It would be awesome.
    Toying with death at max speed...

Toy with death for ~10mins or slogging it out for a minimum of 90mins....

Organize it and they will come. I'd like to see ocnoc sparring with PositiveNegativ for title of "Cruelest Race Director", that would be a league to wake the dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Wicklow Way Ultra
    Krusty_Clown
    Mac Cormaic

Wicklow Way Trail
    Nerraw
    ThisRegard
    (Super) Trooper
    iamjenko
    AntiGrav (sixth time ;))
    earlyevening:)
    duke1
    asimonov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Wicklow Way Trail
    asimonov
    Bummer. If I knew you were doing this, I would've done the trail for a bit of a scrap. :)

Wicklow Way Trail
    asimonov
    Bummer. If I knew you were doing this, I would've done the trail for a bit of a scrap. :)

why do you think i left it till now to put my name down. anyways, i can race against your 2010 time....that is the best you can do yeah?

asimonov wrote: »
    why do you think i left it till now to put my name down. anyways, i can race against your 2010 time....that is the best you can do yeah?
    You're running the wimpy course, which is now 700m shorter. :D

You're running the wimpy course, which is now 700m shorter. :D

i reckon you could run 700m in about 2 minutes....i'll deduct that. fair and square.

Looks like road runners will be the order of the day - very dry out there !! on the MTB :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

asimonov wrote: »
    i reckon you could run 700m in about 2 minutes....i'll deduct that. fair and square.

I'm out through injury asimonov, but feel free to compete against my last years time and place :) We can debate the 700m saving on another day. If you are going well and you can stay the distance with the leading lady, liable to be Karen Alexander if she shows, you'll be very well placed indeed. Easy said than done.

I'm out through injury asimonov, but feel free to compete against my last years time and place :) We can debate the 700m saving on another day.

I'm all over it SJ - 124:27. You can't under-estimate my competitiveness... I haven't spent the last 30 minutes cross checking the list of people confirmed on the bus against IMRA results for nothing. :D And i'm gonna have to find someone who knows the way.

Dunebuggy wrote: »
    Looks like road runners will be the order of the day - very dry out there !! on the MTB :-)

It's supposed to stay dry till after the weekend too, so it's road runners you say ?

Good stuff. Go with road runners asimonov (secretly hoping for lots of rain :D)

Organize it and they will come.

Who do I contact in IMRA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I was discussing Annagh Hill with the Chairman and the Races Co-ordinator (details here). They were very accommodating and helpful. My advice on getting (my one) race on the calendar, is to present a fait accompli- besides route, think about parking, access, pub for prizegiving. Knowing you can get a few key volunteers to help you, is good. And its a lot harder running a race, than running in a race.

Having said all that, its very rewarding to see your route enjoyed by others, and if you want imra to go in a specific direction, stand up and make it happen. Best of luck, looking forward to racing whatever you come up with. G'wan, as the crow flies through Lough Firrib :)

Me = Race Coordinator, are you looking to have it as part of the Trail league ? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

I'd like to see ocnoc sparring with PositiveNegativ for title of "Cruelest Race Director", that would be a league to wake the dead.

It would end in tears. Tears of laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Possibly off topic so feel free to move this question.

Has anyone here ever ran up to Ticknock from Lamb Doyles direction ?
    Want to head up there coming from around Lams Cross/Slate Cabin Lane.
    It'd be on the Woodside Road but the access to the mountain paths seems vague on Gmaps and Google maps.
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Stillorgan,+County+Dun+Laoghaire,+Ireland&ll=53.257666,-6.230965&spn=0.017971,0.038409&z=15

Is this area closed to the public? There seems to be a quarry or factory just before the mountain so not sure ?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

Possibly off topic so feel free to move this question.

Has anyone here ever ran up to Ticknock from Lamb Doyles direction ?

Is this area closed to the public? There seems to be a quarry or factory just before the mountain so not sure ?

There used to be an IMRA run from the Blue Light pub that went up the little lane below the pub, went past the quarry then traversed around to the bottom of the 'boneshaker' path straight up to masts along edge of forest.

It is still open to public. Watch yourself on the road coming up from Lamb Doyles though as this is narrow and has a couple of blind corners.

• Advertisement

Antigrav wrote: »
    There used to be an IMRA run from the Blue Light pub that went up the little lane below the pub, went past the quarry then traversed around to the bottom of the 'boneshaker' path straight up to masts along edge of forest.

It is still open to public. Watch yourself on the road coming up from Lamb Doyles though as this is narrow and has a couple of blind corners.
    +1. Definitely safer to start from the Blue Light carpark and take one of the trails up from there.
    This tracklog takes a path slightly above the Blue Light up to Ticknock.

The DublinMountainWay route is another option. Much further up Balledomnduff Road. You can see that on part of this tracklog.

I have often run up SlateCabin Lane, but would usually turn right to Lamb Doyles and then cut through Rockview on my way to Marlay Park. You could also head that way and up the main road to ticknock, but again, watch those bends from Slatecabin road to Lamb Doyles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Thanks for the updates folks.
    May consider coming from Stepaside Village so and double back towards the Blue Light pub or even just leave the car up there altogether.

"Cruelest Race Director"

Non "trail happy" race directors could be more appropriate title. Who can get the least amount of trail (including sheep track) into a race :P
    are you looking to have it as part of the Trail league ? :-)

Yes.... trail league.... Could I call it a trail league? It crosses the old Wicklow Gap road...track...sheep trail... ditch... kind of... :)

I have a couple of questions on the trail race on saturday; is there anything i need to do or bring? Is there a team category? I haven't run a race yet this year so can i run for boards?

No team category for the WWT unfortunately. Boards could do well in that and the WWU otherwise. Just turn up and board the bus as you intend to run. Its an awkward distance. You can start off with it freezing cold and you've brought a windsheeter and hat. Half way through it you could have warmed up lots and you nearly want to ditch any accessories :rolleyes: If you travel light you could be shivering whilst waiting at Ballinastoe but gambling on heating up once you start moving. Decisions decisions. If you've a very light jacket that can literally fold into itself to wrap around you thats handy. Apart from that you don't need to carry water etc as you'll be looked after by the 2 'stops' along the way.

Sign in as Boards by all means. The 'manager' will be inspecting Boards results as input to Relay decisions later in the summer :-)

One stop is after about 16k, where's the other Slogger ? I was expecting only one, or are you looking at it from the point of view of an ultra ?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    One stop is after about 16k, where's the other Slogger ? I was expecting only one, or are you looking at it from the point of view of an ultra ?

At the car park at Crone and again the entrance into Curtlestown.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Thanks for the updates folks.
    May consider coming from Stepaside Village so and double back towards the Blue Light pub or even just leave the car up there altogether.

go from the village down sandyford road and before the roundabout at Belarmine, there is a gate on the west side of the road at the junction. You can go through this gate and up the right of way beside fernhill. it's a decent slope covered in by the forrest. The 'Fernhill Tunnel'. This will bring you out on the road a couple of hundred yards south of the bluelight, then you can follow the route up three rock described above.

This way you can get from step to top of three rock spending less than a mile on roads. Nice way to wake yourself up on nice mornings like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭thepassanger

best of luck to everyone on the weekend ahead, the WW trail, WW ultra :eek: , College Champs. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Best of luck.

I had to withdraw as calf is still a bit tight after pulling it 2 weeks ago. Might cycle up tomorrow and catch the finish

Advertisement