Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

....It’s the Barrowdale 17m/7000ft and it looks like you need to be well experienced to take it on.

Is it ridiculous to think about doing this for a fell beginner? (YES)

I've pretty much no experience of fell running but I wanna give it a go.

Do NOT attempt this race. Full stop. No questions asked.
    This is a SERIOUS SERIOUS race.

Its 17 miles, in rugged mountains, with the guts of 2100m of vertical climb.

2100m of climb is approx equal to 10.5km more. So your looking at 38km on open mountain, navigating, most likely alone.

You say you have no experience, and the race says "experienced A runners".

A = Long, Steep, technical.

If you really want to give it a lash, get to some of the steeper off road races in Ireland first, try Galtymore or something tough like that.

If you say you are a beginner, try some of the shorter off road (ie no trail) races first. Tonelegee and the Lake maybe?

(I apologies if I am coming off harsh, but better I come off harsh than you go and try something that could potentially get you killed, and I am not rippen the piss when I say killed).

Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

Disregard my previous post.

I completely missed this line
    No, I've pretty much no experience of fell running but I wanna give it a go. Cheers.

Your entry simply won't be accepted.

The distance/ climb is about the same in this race.... As you can see - its one mean assed son of a B**ch race

http://www.scottishhillracing.co.uk/RaceDetails.aspx?RaceID=RA-0044

I can't find a map for the Barrowdale in my quick 30second google.

This is the closest map I could get... the small image just scares me more.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_b-qZ8R_ETiE/TDy68cDc4-I/AAAAAAAACao/-8uXPYZuk28/S226/Borrowdale+map.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I'm not even thinking about it now. Don't worry. I just needed to get an idea if it was a silly idea and it clearly is.
    ocnoc wrote: »
    (I apologies if I am coming off harsh,
    Colm

Not at all, thanks Colm.
    When I said I wanna give it a go I meant fell running in general.

Thanks for all of the replies folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

ocnoc wrote: »
    If you say you are a beginner, try some of the shorter off road (ie no trail) races first. Tonelegee and the Lake maybe?

LOVED this race..i think it's an ideal race to give a first crack at. Tougher than the Leinster League races as it's unmarked and pretty steep but a great great race. My only championship race to date and it was such a good experience. Smaller crowds than the LL too which is handy as it can get a bit clogged.

I would recce it beforehand though, (there are bound to be a few recces organised on here or the forum) even though it looks fairly straight forward. i went up it a while back and the reversing of the direction seems to make it more difficult. Some very steep parts coming down off the top down to Loch Iolar.

Hope to see ya at some races this year!

Ronan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

@Ronan. This year its the other way around the lake so its easier... Yeah, right :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

race report from training log.

Wicklow Trail Race 121:09 / 18th

I arrived at Johnnie Fox's just after 10:30, pretty much straight away I bumped into SJ and his two young helpers (who seemed to be doing most of the work). There was a reasonable mist down over the hills, but i expected that to get burned off by the sun as I had left kilkenny at 9 in the morning under pure blue skies and sunshine.

It had been just over a year since my last outing on the hills in annacurra, and the memories of that run had faded sufficiently for me to reminisce with a rather (misguided) warm and rosy hue about hill running in general. A 25k trail race, sure what could be easier than that?

In the few weeks before this i have been starting to come back into some sort of fitness after my post marathon break. I figured the couple of xc races that I had run recently would stand to me, and checking back on the 2010 results I was able to get a handle on where I should stand against the overall results. Benchmarking against a couple of lads i knew, and all other things being equal, maybe a top 10 - 12 finish is where i figured i could get to. That said, my basic plan was to follow the lead ladies for the course - they were probably about 4 min ahead of me in terms of target time but I hoped their pacing would help me to get the best out of myself.

I hadn't had the chance to do a recce before hand; and was pretty worried about the navigation aspect, but i had downloaded KC's gamin connect link from last year so i had some rough info.

As with most community based events; this one had a really good buzz in the build up. I quickly fell into conversation with a really sound guy beside me who was very experienced and a font of knowledge about the route and what to expect in the way of terrain. According to him, the route is basically 3 big hills; and once you came to the last water stop its only one more hill and you are done.

We got the bus out to the start and basically had a few minutes warm-up before the off, I just had enough time to do some stretches and hide Mithril's lucozade bottle*.

At the off, the legs engaged and my brain turned off I quickly abandoned my plan to track behind the ladies and found myself settling into about 9th place. We ran a couple of k's on forest road before taking a sharp right hand turn and up on to Hill No. 1 (djuice / djoust ). I'm very used to road races where the first few miles are run for fun and you feel numb to the effort required, in contrast here we hadn't even started the real climb and my heart was really racing and my breathing very heavy.

We ran on up to the boardwalk into a stiff cross wind and heavy mist - i had no concept of where i was or what direction i was running. My breathing was still heavy, but i was getting a draft off a guy ahead of me and i didn't want to drop off the pace and lose him. But we came upon an ultra runner, and my draftee skipped by and left me in his wake. I took the opportunity to slow up a little but with the wind it all felt a bit of a battle, I took a quick check of the watch…"ok only about about 90 minutes of this left" oh fcuk.

After the boardwalk, there is a nice trail section around the hill, but I was struggling to get my feet down quickly enough, and occasionally careering off the track altogether, a couple of time I pulled over to let faster runners through. After this there is a really good downhill section on grass which leaves you crossing a bridge at the foot of a really steep hill that i walked up. It's a mad feeling walking up a hill, cursing yourself for having to walk yet not really getting any recovery from the walk - I just remember sweat falling off me.

I reached the top of the hill, and I remember a section that was quite Mordor like; once i reached the start of the downhill I let another guy through. This section in isolation is probably a fantastic run - but my legs were shot and i found the turnover quite hard on the downhills. A young guy from Raheny went by me at this stage and rather than let him go, I went with him - he seemed to have the legs on me going downhill but i could catch him on the flatter sections. We dropped down a long way before coming to the first drinks stop, he grabbed a water and kept going whereas I stopped and drank. The guys at the water stop estimated we were top 15 at that stage.

I continued on and could still see raheny guy ahead of me. He had stretched the lead to a couple of hundred metres by the time we reached the bridge over the river. This whole section was the lowest point for me i think. I felt wrecked and knew I had lots of running still to do, totally aware of the fact I had started to hard and was going backwards in terms of position. Not my usual game plan.

Mid way up my run / walk up the next hill, i was passed by Donna Mahon, spurned on by this I closed the gap on Raheny guy again and by the time I reached the second station i was ahead of him again - having passed him on the road…the lovely flat and friendly road section.

I took a gel and some water at that stop and the second lady passed me like i was standing still, which i was. The battle between me and raheny guy had turned into a rather sad war of the attrition…where he would jog very slowly all the time and i would walk a good bit and then catch him with my "just a tiny bit faster then him" jog, i then wouldn't have the energy or heart to go by him…so i'd just start walking again…repeat as you like.

Two more guys caught us on this hill, they went through us pretty close to the top when we had to go over these massive stones - I went passed Raheny guy at this point and I think he pretty much walked in from there.

Just at the top of this final big hill - i caught up with KC, Fair play to him, even though he had just run a marathon over twice the mountains I had; he gave me some water and a quiet pep talk that got me going again.

It felt great to run the last 4k or so at speed on proper track and road; i chased down one of the guys who had passed me earlier, and crossed the line just over 121' minutes about 15 seconds behind the other guy who passed us on the final hill. I think when the final results are posted I'll have finished in 18th position. In the end i wasn't too far off my target time. But the second lady, Karen Alexander passed me with 8k to go put 3.5' on me in that 8k. Says a lot really.

I have never been as beat up after a race; not even the marathons compare to it. Its now tuesday and i haven't run since - hamstrings, quads and calves all took a fair hammering. I will go back next year, i might just alter my expectations and my race plans before hand. In the meantime, I'm off to spend a summer running road races :).

*joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Is it just me or is the imra site down?

Great race reports by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Woddle wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the imra site down?

Great race reports by the way.

Yep, I think it's down, been trying to get on for a while too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Nice report, and it's heartening to read guys like yourself at the top of the field hit the bottom mentally and physically at the same point as a mortal like myself did a half hour behind you.

• Advertisement

IMRA site is up and down quite a bit. Managed to get a good run of it and got all the photos I took with my little helper (son Ben) for the Wicklow way trail and ultra races taken in and around the climb up towards the JP Malone monument over Lough Tay.

IMRA site is up and down quite a bit. Managed to get a good run of it and got all the photos I took with my little helper (son Ben) for the Wicklow way trail and ultra races taken in and around the climb up towards the JP Malone monument over Lough Tay.

Wow over 900 photos of the trail race now...must be one of the most photographed IMRA events ever:D

More quantity than quality. Mr (actionphotography) Shiels is missed when he can't make it.

More quantity than quality. Mr (actionphotography) Shiels is missed when he can't make it.

Agreed. I contributed to the quantity of WW trail photos up there too, but it's only when I was out taking them that I appreciated what a great photographer John is...it's way harder than it looks!! I was taking photos from the top of Curtlestown, so none of my targets were even moving very fast at that stage, and still I managed to take alot of them from too far away,cut out feet etc.:D

John Shiels - 25,142
    Gerry Brady - 4,003
    Colleen Robinson - 1,241

Practice makes perfect

The lead runners should carry cameras and take a few pics ;)

The lead runners should carry cameras and take a few pics ;)

I have debated running a few descents with a head cam to try prefect my descending....

It could turn out ****, so I didn't bother... ie... why would I want to watch myself running down a mountain, when I could actually be running down a mountain

Speaking of descending... map up for Tonelegee & the Lake.

map up for Tonelegee & the Lake.

Is it free route choice? The descent looks kinda curved... Surely its possible to go straighter? :D

Free choice. Just hit the summit going out and back.

• Advertisement

New route for Croagh Patrick. Look forward to seeing it. Anyone ran this way before / got a map of it?

Lecanvey is located in the top left corner of the map....

There appears to be a track heading down... however, it is OS... so yeah :P

The top is like a Roman Road of placed stones, so quite hard on the feet. Once off that it's mountain goat territory. Far more interesting than what's gone before IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

New route for Croagh Patrick. Look forward to seeing it. Anyone ran this way before / got a map of it?

SJ, I have never ran it but have walked it a few times in the past. However not for a few years. For all the reason Paddy Lord has said on the IMRA form I agree it should be changed. The route I think will be more runable and possibly one of the better descents in the calendar.

It's well known locally and is the way that the Traders in Reek Sunday bring all their goods up to the top.

If you look at the current map you will see Lecanvey marked along the R335. I would imagine Paddy intends to brings the route straight down there from the top.

It's got my vote anyway.

it's mountain goat territory

Anything comparable in the Wicklow region?

Looking at the sat images, once your off the top it appears to be deep heather like... if you go straight line

There appears to be a track going the entire way down by the river.... faster?

F92B28B26F704FE7B2FD4C5B4D0858E4-0000332535-0002246951-00533L-7108EF32BB5E4E3C845C28A747299C97.jpg

Excluding John Lenhans record on Carrauntoohil, what do people think the toughest IMRA record to break would be?
    :D

The one from the map two posts above.

• Advertisement

Or certain routes that aren't possible any more. Like the sugarloaf up and down from beside the N11 flyover. :D

Advertisement