Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Return to cold next week - Potentially Severe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

alfa beta wrote: »
    I've got a feeling that last line of the ME outlook won't be hanging around for long

well i'll be!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mac_

alfa beta wrote: »
    well i'll be!!

:D:D:D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Mac_ wrote: »
    :D:D:D:rolleyes:

They either had another look at the charts, or maybe they are monitoring this tread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

:D

Well into FI ,

138930.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

GavinH wrote: »
    They either had another look at the charts, or maybe they are monitoring this tread.

Soooo happy with that - it was really misleading - makes so much more sense now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    gefs showing breakdown on 21/22

But that's pure FI at this stage isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

piskins72 wrote: »
    it seems to have been changed and that line taken out of it now :confused:

Saturday night will be cold and frosty again with lowest temperatures of -2 or -3 degrees generally and freezing fog will be widespread. It will be cold and frosty on Sunday morning too, but eventually temperatures will reach 4 or 5 degrees during the afternoon. And when the fog clears on Sunday, the weather will be bright and sunny for the few short hours of the day. The continuing presence of an anticyclone close to Ireland will ensure dry weather for the first half of next week at least. But the nights on Monday and Tuesday will be particularly cold again with temperatures dropping down to -5 and -6 degrees in parts of the country. And daytime temperatures up to Wednesday will also be low.

They have changed it again now
    "And daytime temperatures up to Wednesday will also be low. The forecast for the rest of the week is uncertain but latest indications suggest cold possibly wintry conditions returning especially to northern areas "

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

Pangea wrote: »
    They have changed it again now
    "And daytime temperatures up to Wednesday will also be low. The forecast for the rest of the week is uncertain but latest indications suggest cold possibly wintry conditions returning especially to northern areas "

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

total opposite to what was said initally!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

I was speaking to a person in the south of the country last nite and speaking about the weather the person said " sure all the cold weather is gone for a while" meaning they were thinking for a good while!

Mac_ wrote: »
    Nice boots!
    Theres boots in that pic?......

• Advertisement

snowjon wrote: »
    It's weird because it was released at 09.30, according to the website, which means they had access to all the 00z runs which unanimously show a cold northerly plunge for the exact time they predict southerly winds and higher temps :confused:
    That often happens at ME-probably a junior forecaster that was out on the beer last night...

IF this northerly pans out as currently projected,expect a lot of snow in west munster including cork city! as occasionally heavy shower activity spreads in on nnw winds from the atlantic under the influence of an exceptionally cold feed.
    The snow shadow in this one will be south and East Wicklow,Wexford and waterford...Except when winds go NNE or NE occasionally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

So is MT'S forecast still on track & will we,as Bastardi said,be in for a huge winter event in the next 2/3 weeks?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::eek::eek:

So is MT'S forecast still on track & will we,as Bastardi said,be in for a huge winter event in the next 2/3 weeks?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::eek::eek:

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

My email to Met Eireann was very promptly replied to and I was told that the forecast had been changed, as we have seen. I'm unsure if Met Eireann look at boards but I'd imagine they do.

highdef wrote: »
    My email to Met Eireann was very promptly replied to and I was told that the forecast had been changed, as we have seen. I'm unsure if Met Eireann look at boards but I'd imagine they do.

They certainly do access boards, they even have an account and they have posted a few messages in the past. Whether they read the forecast threads and other discussions is another story, I reckon they won't confirm it even if they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Going by the gfs, the north, northwest looks spot-on for some fanatic sea effect snow, the east less so for now anyway, but as we know things could and will change as we get the next few runs,

But what a run, you lads in the north might want to keep an eye out for icebergs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Spindle wrote: »
    There latest outlook has changed to:

The continuing presence of an anticyclone close to Ireland will ensure dry weather for the first half of next week at least. But the nights on Monday and Tuesday will be particularly cold again with temperatures dropping down to -5 and -6 degrees in parts of the country. And daytime temperatures up to Wednesday will also be low.
    I doubt very much if temperatures will get anywhere near -5 on Tue and Wed.
    We'll be under a blanket of cloud as the high stagnates resulting in the dreaded anticyclonic gloom, nearer +5. Wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

IF those charts come off, most of Ireland would be likely to see some snow. With uppers at 500 hPa nearing -40 and uppers at 850 hPa dipping to around -12/-13 there definitely would be larger disturbances/troughs/lows that could whiten large swathes of land:D

Never mind the ECM, they bring down a large low pressure in the flow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

Why would they not confirm it if they are already members here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Just wondering what the abbreviations ECM and also FI stand for???

• Advertisement

roryc1 wrote: »
    Going by the gfs, the north, northwest looks spot-on for some fanatic sea effect snow, the east less so for now anyway, but as we know things could and will change as we get the next few runs,

But what a run, you lads in the north might want to keep an eye out for icebergs
    whats sea effect snow? hope thats not rain :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

ECM is actually ECMWF

European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts

FI is fantasy island.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

ECM is one the models that people base there forecast on , not so sure exactly what it stands for .

FI = Fantasy Island ( A chart that is outside of a reliable time frame of 96Hrs + plus usually)

Pangea wrote: »
    whats sea effect snow? hope thats not rain :pac:
    Its lake effect snow but when it happens over the sea its called sea effect snow, its what caused most of the snow the east got the last week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Was talking to my friend from my old course in Ucd doin climate science , he said the lecturer who's a climatologist was saying that we could be seeing some new records set on snowfall by the new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

RTE just said they are not expecting snow during the first half of next
    week does that mean there expecting snow during the second half of next week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

what causes sea effect snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

123balltv wrote: »
    RTE just said they are not expecting snow during the first half of next
    week does that mean there expecting snow during the second half of next week ?

No, they just won't commit that far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

And by rte I guess you mean meteireann?

• Advertisement

what causes sea effect snow?

This should help
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake-effect_snow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement