Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Return to cold next week - Potentially Severe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    waiting for latest gfs to roll out. all models are, however, indicating a return to very cold weather by the end of next week.

Its annoying clicking next hoping a picture will come up !:D

Remember,you need colder 850mb temps with atlantic polar maratime air to support sealevel coastal snow than you do with continental easterly air.
    You also need lower dam thicknesses to compensate for the higher humidity brought about by the long sea track.

Belmullet and mallin head would have rain with -8 850 air probably [thats the temp of the air at 5000 ft asl in the charts maq posted above folks]

When I see -10 at that height or -11c or lower,then theres confidence.
    It's a different strory for Scotland as theres less modification and for example places like Aberdeen will have the air dry out a bit humidity wise with a partial land track at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

GavinH wrote: »
    Saturday night will be cold and frosty again with lowest temperatures of -2 or -3 degrees generally and freezing fog will be widespread. It will be cold and frosty on Sunday morning too, but eventually temperatures will reach 4 or 5 degrees during the afternoon. And when the fog clears on Sunday, the weather will be bright and sunny for the few short hours of the day. The continuing presence of an anticyclone close to Ireland will ensure dry weather for the first half of next week at least. But the nights on Monday and Tuesday will be particularly cold again with temperatures dropping down to -5 and -6 degrees in parts of the country. And daytime temperatures up to Wednesday will also be low. After midweek there are signs that the winds will turn southerly in direction and this will end the severe night frosts and bring higher daytime temperatures.

Is this not contradictory to what the models show us for next week?

Thisnwas taken from ME.

Yes - I just read the ME forecast and nearly fell off my chair - surely this is just completely wrong, given all the latest output for the last few days, EXCEPT last night's ECM. Surely this long-range forecast is based on more than just one off-kilter run. This morning, ECM is back to showing a northerly plunge at the end of next week with possible snow and severe frosts for Ireland. IMO, this is a very misleading forecast for ME to produce - shockingly poor effort :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Remember,you need colder 850mb temps with atlantic polar maratime air to support sealevel coastal snow than you do with continental easterly air.
    You also need lower dam thicknesses to compensate for the higher humidity brought about by the long sea track.

Belmullet and mallin head would have rain with -8 850 air probably [thats the temp of the air at 5000 ft asl in the charts maq posted above folks]

When I see -10 at that height or -11c or lower,then theres confidence.
    It's a different strory for Scotland as theres less modification and for example places like Aberdeen will have the air dry out a bit humidity wise with a partial land track at times.
    You want -10h850t850eu.png

From latest GFS run, start of the cold air coming back in over us

h850t850eu.png

h500slp.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Friday
    h850t850eu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

snowjon wrote: »
    Yes - I just read the ME forecast and nearly fell off my chair - surely this is just completely wrong, given all the latest output for the last few days, EXCEPT last night's ECM. Surely this long-range forecast is based on more than just one off-kilter run. This morning, ECM is back to showing a northerly plunge at the end of next week with possible snow and severe frosts for Ireland. IMO, this is a very misleading forecast for ME to produce - shockingly poor effort :confused:

Ye thought in was seeing things. I know there was one ECM model that went wayward yesterday, but tis mornings one all line up again.

ECM0-192.GIF?10-12

ECM1-192.GIF?10-12

GFS at +192

h850t850eu.png

h500slp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Hi

I am getting married on new years eve in Kilkenny- and guests travelling from Dublin. SO NO MORE SNOW PLEASE!!

gefs showing breakdown on 21/22

• Advertisement

gefs showing breakdown on 21/22

Hey Wolfe

Im right in thinking that out that far the models usually push breakdowns further out ? Im sure I heard that before !

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

GavinH wrote: »
    Ye thought in was seeing things. I know there was one ECM model that went wayward yesterday, but tis mornings one all line up again.

I've got a feeling that last line of the ME outlook won't be hanging around for long - their specific reference to southerly winds at the end of next week seems odd to say the least.

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Hey Wolfe

Im right in thinking that out that far the models usually push breakdowns further out ? Im sure I heard that before !
    yes tntn, and they can easily push cold spells further out. However, they have budged little on a cold spell taking place from late next week

yes tntn, and they can easily push cold spells further out. However, they have budged little on a cold spell taking place from late next week

Thanks a mill, I think I'm starting to understand those charts thanks to people like yourself ! :)

alfa beta wrote: »
    I've got a feeling that last line of the ME outlook won't be hanging around for long - their specific reference to southerly winds at the end of next week seems odd to say the least.
    It's weird because it was released at 09.30, according to the website, which means they had access to all the 00z runs which unanimously show a cold northerly plunge for the exact time they predict southerly winds and higher temps :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Hi Maq, that would give easterly winds right ?

Can never work out what direction the wind goes !

Northwesterly winds there. Wind blows anticlockwise around areas of low pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

So for next friday what sort of day and night tempertures are we talking going by those charts?

It's weird because it was released at 09.30, according to the website, which means they had access to all the 00z runs which unanimously show a cold northerly plunge for the exact time they predict southerly winds and higher temps :confused:

In case anyone hasn't seen the Met Eireann forecast, this is what they predict we can expect next week:
    After midweek there are signs that the winds will turn southerly in direction and this will end the severe night frosts and bring higher daytime temperatures.
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mac_

I'm also totally lost at the Met E reference to southerly winds. Looking at the 06z GFS I've never seen such bone chilling, possibly record breaking potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I have just emailed Met Eireann querying their forecast. It will be interesting to see the reply

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    So for next friday what sort of day and night tempertures are we talking going by those charts?
    Midday:

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Mac_ wrote: »
    I'm also totally lost at the Met E reference to southerly winds. Looking at the 06z GFS I've never seen such bone chilling, possibly record breaking potential.

It'll be an interesting one to keep an eye on - if they've called it right against all the odds (and all the charts) I'll be seriously impressed - not to mention more than a little disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

snow ghost wrote: »
    I think you'll find that the Brian Lenihan and Mother Nature have little in common confab. :rolleyes:

As for enthusiasm for cold weather, here's one very good reason:

'THE NUMBER OF DEATHS DUE TO COLD WEATHER FELL LAST YEAR'

http://www.manchesterwired.co.uk/news.php/110215-The-number-of-deaths-due-to-cold-weather-fell-last-year

And here's another:

snow_babes2ae0.jpg

You won't get that in the rain. ;)

Wisdom^^

as great as it was to read M.T'S post, i fear it won't be as exciting as all that. Nothing would give me greater pleasure if i am wrong, though.

alfa beta wrote: »
    It'll be an interesting one to keep an eye on - if they've called it right against all the odds (and all the charts) I'll be seriously impressed - not to mention more than a little disappointed!
    Yep - huge credit if they get this one right - I just can't see anything southerly by next friday. Models keep pushing the cold further and further west.

Nice boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

In case anyone hasn't seen the Met Eireann forecast, this is what they predict we can expect next week:

i haven't checked the charts, but maybe they forsee that happening for a day or so around midweek? it maybe they are reluctant to deliver what they, and most people will perceive as bad news, until they really have to. remember they got caught out last year towards the end of the big freeze, which led to people panic buying, only for the east to just have rain and sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Nothing to worry about here now that the Thaw has set in @ this stage,we can safely say the harshest period of our winter weather has passed.:cool:

Seems I might be right :(

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

There latest outlook has changed to:

The continuing presence of an anticyclone close to Ireland will ensure dry weather for the first half of next week at least. But the nights on Monday and Tuesday will be particularly cold again with temperatures dropping down to -5 and -6 degrees in parts of the country. And daytime temperatures up to Wednesday will also be low.

i haven't checked the charts, but maybe they forsee that happening for a day or so around midweek? it maybe they are reluctant to deliver what they, and most people will perceive as bad news, until they really have to. remember they got caught out last year towards the end of the big freeze, which led to people panic buying, only for the east to just have rain and sleet.
    Yes I understand them being cautious but you really should have a look at the latest GFS charts. Coldest I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

it seems to have been changed and that line taken out of it now :confused:

Saturday night will be cold and frosty again with lowest temperatures of -2 or -3 degrees generally and freezing fog will be widespread. It will be cold and frosty on Sunday morning too, but eventually temperatures will reach 4 or 5 degrees during the afternoon. And when the fog clears on Sunday, the weather will be bright and sunny for the few short hours of the day. The continuing presence of an anticyclone close to Ireland will ensure dry weather for the first half of next week at least. But the nights on Monday and Tuesday will be particularly cold again with temperatures dropping down to -5 and -6 degrees in parts of the country. And daytime temperatures up to Wednesday will also be low.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement