Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    After reading a post here I went to Aldi and bought the Dijon mustard to use the jars. They cost 47c each, the jars are a nice shape, the kids are plain black and the labels came off really easily after soaking the jars in soapy water overnight. Great bargain!

You're giving kids as prezzies too? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

You're giving kids are prezzies too? :D

What a bad typo - giving black kids for Christmas!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

A poster posted last year about mint jars in tesco. Just a head up to those keeping costs low aldi have lots of cheap jars (above freezers). I got loads. Also the apple sauce labels fall off really easy, mustards not so much :)
    There's writing on the apple sauce lids but I'm going to cover it with a sticker/material

Pics with prices attached.

I get all my jars from Alpack in Sandyford industrial estate. They are about half the price of the jars that you mention and though I think you have to buy them in boxes of 50 or so, you'd have them for next year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I think I'll try these biscotti this year....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/biscotti_with_hot_mocha_60995

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Have just made batches of baileys, Nutella and peanut butter fudge this morning. Thought I was doing so well getting ahead of myself with the jars in November but now I've left everything else to the last week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Getting there! Beet root relish, strawberry jam, lemon curd and apple sauce all done. Baileys fudge and Nutella fudge bagged and crunchie bagged.

On that note, the cinder crunchie stuff-mine is chewy in the end rather than crunchie-anyone know what went wrong?

I've fairy cakes, biscotti, lip balm and crackers left to make!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Getting there! Beet root relish, strawberry jam, lemon curd and apple sauce all done. Baileys fudge and Nutella fudge bagged and crunchie bagged.

On that note, the cinder crunchie stuff-mine is chewy in the end rather than crunchie-anyone know what went wrong?

I've fairy cakes, biscotti, lip balm and crackers left to make!

Sugar mustn't have been hot enough when you added the bicarb. Still yummy though? Could coat it in chocolate to prevent it getting sticky, still perfectly good to eat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

This Baileys/peanut butter/nutella fudge of which ye speak....tell me more!!

Are ye all using the same recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    This Baileys/peanut butter/nutella fudge of which ye speak....tell me more!!

Are ye all using the same recipe?

That's what I want to know too ;)

Baileys fudge is the microwave one from here.

Nutella I got online, found here: http://kirbiecravings.com/2013/09/5-minute-microwave-nutella-fudge.html

Peanut butter I got online too, here; http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/peanutbutterfudge_93630

All very easy to make :)

• Advertisement

Just tasted the peanut butter fudge, would not recommend. Maybe because of the dark brown sugar but it's very bitter tasting. Almost burnt tasting but not burnt... Might give it one more go but with golden castor sugar instead.

Baileys is the microwave one, Nutella is a version of the microwave one. I experimented today after reading about Nutella fudge and realising there was a tub of it sitting in front of me when I was finishing the fudge! Tried adding some instead of baileys, consistency is different but tastes damn good :)

And I'm done :) 11 hampers made.

Contents were;

Mulling syrup
    Lemon and lime smooth marmalade
    3 fruit marmalade
    Strawberry and apple jam
    Grape jelly
    Tomato chutney
    Beet root relish
    Chilli sauce
    Baileys fudge
    Chocolate and hazelnut fudge
    White chocolate and pecan biscotti
    Cranberry and almond biscotti
    Vanilla cake pops
    Chocolate cake pops
    Cranberry sauce
    Lemon curd
    Chocolate mould lollipops for the kids.

Last year I tried the chilli jam recipe but it never set so I packaged it as sauce. Everyone raved about it, loved it! Decided to make it again this year, bought the bottles and all and I managed to make it jam, musphys fecking law, eh?!

All packaged up in one of these boxes from ikea. They're shallower than they look online. The ones I got were black too. I bought a gold paint marker and decorated I the outside of it and wrote the contents on the back, then covered it all in cellophane wrap. Woop, time to relax now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I made my chilli jam sauce last night :pac:

I'm nearly finished too,
    Red onion marmalade
    Lemon Curd
    Mango Chutney
    Chilli sauce
    Mulled wine kits
    One gift of a litre of turkish delight vodka
    Cinnamon oat pancake mix
    Hot chocolate mix
    Sugar cookie mix
    Honeycomb
    Chocolate pistachio fudge

Have some little ornaments and candles to go in the baskets too.

Dunno if I'd do it again next year though, took way more time than I really had to spare!

Princess Peach and Michelleman, I'm PMing you both my address right now - I'm fine with not getting my hampers til after Christmas :D
    Well done to you both, anyone would be delighted to get all those delicious goodies as gifts

I made my chilli jam sauce last night :pac:

I'm nearly finished too,
    Red onion marmalade
    Lemon Curd
    Mango Chutney
    Chilli sauce
    Mulled wine kits
    One gift of a litre of turkish delight vodka
    Cinnamon oat pancake mix
    Hot chocolate mix
    Sugar cookie mix
    Honeycomb
    Chocolate pistachio fudge

Have some little ornaments and candles to go in the baskets too.

Dunno if I'd do it again next year though, took way more time than I really had to spare!

I wanted to make sauce and I made jam by accident, damn it! Wasn't even planning on making it originally but my boyfriends nephew loved it last year and he's a very picky eater so I couldn't refuse him :o

I have a problem, I'm looking at the mango chutney you made and wondering how how quickly I could get it done and in to the hampers. I need to know my limits!!

I did most of mine in two days. But those days were literally 9am til 11pm. And I was absolutely knackered the next day. The worst part for me was all the labelling, decorating and packaging and wrapping etc. have just wrapped up three so far' as they're heading down the Clare with my boyfriend for his family this weekend. Still have the package up there rest, dreading it :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Wow, Michellenman, that must have cost you a fortune in both money and time!

I took the easy route this year and just made cakes for people.

I feel bad about doing such small hampers now!

I did

Sweet chilli and cherry tomato jam
    Blackberry and apple jam
    Red onion marmalade
    Lemon curd
    A decorated christmas cake
    Bottle of sherry

Plus some small things like mini hand cream and things

Faith wrote: »
    Wow, Michellenman, that must have cost you a fortune in both money and time!

I took the easy route this year and just made cakes for people.

Expense wasn't really that bad. When you're making it in as big amounts as I did then it costs very little more to make 10 jars than six. Also I was clever in my use of ingredients. I used the juice of my oranges in one recipe, the rind in another and then the flesh in the mulling syrup. That's why a lot of the recipes have some of the same key ingredients ( like cranberry sin everything :o) in terms of time I just took two full days to do it. Now in fairness, on those two days I didn't do anything else at all. I'd say it took me, in total, a full three days to do everything from start to finish. Something's that were quick I would just do when I got in from work at 10pm, the fudges were quick, the curd takes no time, cranberry sauce was a ten minute job etc. would make them in triple batches and I could have ten jars filled in the space of an hour before bed I really enjoyed it this year, feel like I was a lot more prepared than last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PigeonPie

'Hampering' has been a lot more work than I thought. So far I've given out 5, about another 5 to go. Forgot to take photos of them to post here. In them I put chilli sauce (like everyone else jam wouldn't set!), mincemeat, mango & apple chutney (didn't turn out as nice as last time), lemon & lime curd, choc truffles and choc covered honeycomb. I made a gluten free Christmas cake and cut it into 4 mini cakes and iced them separately and they went into the gluten free peoples hampers. Don't think I'll go to the bother making more truffles. Think I'll buy them in lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Yup my hampering this year is less then previous years,
    I just didn't have the time I had other years to label to the a same standard. I also found that I was a bit of a victim of my own success as my family were getting stuff off me to give to others.

But for me half the enjoyment comes from making these! I always find I mark something new. Just the other day by making a mistake with a recipe for peanut brittle I ended up creating a peanut brittle recipe I prefer!

Where's the best place to get cellophane stuff? I only just realised I need some and I don't really have time for shopping. I'll be in Dundrum for an hour or two on Monday morning. Is anywhere there likely to have it?

I'm done and have presented the parents one which they loved! I did:

Lemon curd
    Strawberry jam
    Beet root chutney
    Cranberry sauce
    Apple sauce

Cranberry and nut biscotti
    Crackers for cheese (salt, black pepper and seseme versions)
    Oatmeal biscuits for cheese
    Fudge in three flavours:plain, Nutella and baileys
    Honeycomb
    Cranberry and nut bark
    Honey lip balm

All items in my parents, variety in everyone else's depending on quantity.

I had fun, thanks to boards and you guys for this amazingly inspiring thread!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Where's the best place to get cellophane stuff? I only just realised I need some and I don't really have time for shopping. I'll be in Dundrum for an hour or two on Monday morning. Is anywhere there likely to have it?
    We got some in a flower shop yesterday. Her Indoors explained what we needed it for, and they gave her a few metres for a couple of euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Any art and craft shop should have cellophane.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm very impressed with all the effort you've all gone to! The hampers sound amazing. I only made fudge. Sadly not all of it would fit in the box so I selflessly stored it in my belly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

8 mini hampers containing choc truffles, sable biscuits, pickled cucumber , chilli jam ,marinated feta, red pepper relish . Fudge disastrous so abandoned it ... Thanks for all the tips . Happy Christmas all. image.jpg

8 mini hampers containing choc truffles, sable biscuits, pickled cucumber , chilli jam ,marinated feta, red pepper relish . Fudge disastrous so abandoned it ... Thanks for all the tips . Happy Christmas all. image.jpg

Gorgeous. Also, I love your kitchen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Sorry, I don't know dundrum but if you are in town both Tiger and Reads have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I've done cranberry and orange biscotti, lemon curd, apple and cranberry chutney, gingerbread cake, mince pies and chocolate cupcakes. I'm knacked!!:p

Had the curd on the lowest flame of the smallest ring and it still begins to scramble!!:( Thankfully, I only lost about 1/4 of a jar.

Advertisement