Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I love that fudge!! So fricking easy and delish! I put in chopped hazelnuts instead...some people are fond of pistachios around here.:rolleyes: Haven't made it in a while actually, might have to rectify that over the weekend!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm thinking of making that chocolate pistachio fudge. Does it set well or is it more gooey?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

I made this lovely chocolate pistachio fudge last year

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-pistachio-fudge-96

What I learned is it's worth spending the extra €1 or €2 to get the de-shelled nuts :pac:

I'm going to make this also! Thanks for the tip on de-shelled pistachios - 150g is a lot alright! :P

What did you put this into? I want to get some nice but cheap boxes, but have yet to come across any. Going to check Tiger after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

For anyone who is a fan of the Nigella chilli jam, but thinks it could do with tweaking - check this recipe out.

It doesn't use any red peppers (and so, is cheaper) - and depends on apples for their pectin-thickening-qualities (and so, is actually thick): http://www.alifeofgeekery.co.uk/2013/09/sweet-sticky-chilli-jam.html

Just made my first batch this afternoon. Proper impressed. Looks a gorgeous vibrant red colour and the flecks of chilli are evenly dispersed.

Also, I know come December time there's a general made frenzy for the wicker baskets. This year I discovered that it's really easy to weave baskets with newspaper. I happen to have a billion unused till-rolls lying around that are calling out to be put to some creative use, so that'll be my paper of choice. If anyone's also that way inclined, here's some sample instructions:
    http://www.home-dzine.co.za/crafts/craft-storage-baskets.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I made this lovely chocolate pistachio fudge last year

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-pistachio-fudge-96

What I learned is it's worth spending the extra €1 or €2 to get the de-shelled nuts :pac:

Have some of this setting now.

Switched out the pistachios for whatever chopped nuts I had in the press, which were hazelbuts, peanuts, walnuts and almonds, and chucked in some dried cranberries for good measure.

I used the 74% chocolate that can be found in Lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I just saw an ad for the Irish Independent on Saturday and it has recipes for edible gifts in it if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

That Nigella fudge recipe, if I wanted to use Bailey's would I Sub out half the condensed milk?

Oranage2 wrote: »
    That Nigella fudge recipe, if I wanted to use Bailey's would I Sub out half the condensed milk?

Hmmm. I'd say you could.

I was thinking of adding a slug of brandy to it, because, well, because, eeehhh, brandy makes a lot of things taste better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

As my Dad says, brandy cures everything! :D

Going to try Nigella's vanilla fudge recipe. Bought new Christmas cookie cutters, might give them a go as well!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oranage2 wrote: »

No, because then you'd lose half the sugar from the condensed milk which is necessary. I haven't looked at the recipe, but baking is all about ratios. You can't just leave out half of one thing and replace it with something completely different. Look for other recipes for baileys fudge and see how they compare. Most likely, you'd just add a small dash.

• Advertisement

http://healingtomato.com/blog/2014/03/16/fudge-recipe-with-baileys-irish-cream/

Ignoring the GREEN GREEN GREEN PATRICKS DAY GREEN malarky, says there 1/2 can condensed to 50ml of baileys. (Although 1x 36 ounce of chocolate chips? Either I'm missing something, or that's a TON of chocolate.

http://healingtomato.com/blog/2014/03/16/fudge-recipe-with-baileys-irish-cream/

Ignoring the GREEN GREEN GREEN PATRICKS DAY GREEN malarky, says there 1/2 can condensed to 50ml of baileys. (Although 1x 36 ounce of chocolate chips? Either I'm missing something, or that's a TON of chocolate.

Apples and oranges. Your recipe starts with half a can of condensed milk and adds 50ml baileys. The nigella recipe starts with a full can of condensed milk, and the other ingredients are to that scale. You can't just leave out half of it and replace it with something else. It would probably work if Oranage left out 50ml of condensed milk and added 50ml of baileys, or just added an extra 50ml baileys to the complete recipe, but half a can is a huge amount.

Faith wrote: »
    Apples and oranges. Your recipe starts with half a can of condensed milk and adds 50ml baileys. The nigella recipe starts with a full can of condensed milk, and the other ingredients are to that scale. You can't just leave out half of it and replace it with something else. It would probably work if Oranage left out 50ml of condensed milk and added 50ml of baileys, or just added an extra 50ml baileys to the complete recipe, but half a can is a huge amount.

Sorry, I was agreeing with you, bit tired when I was posting.

So yeah, leave out a little, add in a little.

Oh sorry, I see that now :). It was early morning here when I read your post and my brain obviously didn't engage properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I tried making this fudge, chocolate is a bit expensive here so I bought the cheapest one, little did I know it had bits of biscuits in it, after it was done it's still a little to liquidy, was wondering can you re melt in and add more chocolate?

Tastes amazing just not the right consistency that I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Have 4 plum puddings waiting to go on in the morning. 5 hours steaming each! Got cute red bowls and lids for them so they should make nice presents. By evening the condensation will be pouring off the walls of the house! Also made two batches of mustard yesterday and a load of jam so hampering underway.

I love the newspaper wicker baskets but they seem like a lot of work!

I promised ages ago to post my mincemeat recipe. I make this every year as presents and it's always a massive hit. All you need is one jar, two rolls of jus roll shortcrust and voila - 12 perfect mince pies!

Ballymaloe Mincemeat

Makes 3.2 kilos approx. Makes 8-9 pots.

2 cooking apples, e.g. Bramley Seedling
    2 organic lemons
    450g (1lb) beef suet
    pinch of salt
    110g (4oz) mixed peel (preferably homemade)
    2 tablespoons Séville orange marmelade
    225g (8oz) currants
    450g (1lb) sultanas
    225g (8oz) raisins
    900g (2lbs) Barbados sugar (moist, soft, dark-brown)
    62ml (2 1/2fl oz) Irish whiskey

Core and bake the whole apples in a moderate oven, 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4, for 30 minutes approx. Allow to cool. When they are soft, remove the skin and mash the flesh into pulp. Grate the rind from the lemons on the finest part of a stainless steel grater and squeeze out the juice and stir into the pulp. Add the other ingredients one by one, and as they are added, mix everything thoroughly. Put into sterilized jars, cover and leave to mature for 2 weeks before using. This mincemeat will keep for a year in a cool, airy place.

Some very nice ideas on this site:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/feature/christmas-gifts

Will be trying the chocolate hazelnut truffles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryankincaid/all-i-want-for-christmas-is-fudge?bffbfood

A collection of fudge recipes from Buzzfeed, I think I'm going to have to make the pecan and buttermilk fudge - sounds delicious!

tfak85 wrote: »

A collection of fudge recipes from Buzzfeed, I think I'm going to have to make the pecan and buttermilk fudge - sounds delicious!

They all sound AMAZING :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Why did I open that?! Seriously. Now I want 21 kinds of fudge :(

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

3 of us at work are drawing numbers tomorrow, to see which 7 we will make each

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

Ballymaloe Mincemeat

Makes 3.2 kilos approx. Makes 8-9 pots.

This looks fabulous, thank you. Quick question: is it one pot per dozen pies? It's a lot of mince and I wonder will I have time before Christmas for it to mature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

As someone who happily chomped through a load of de-shelled pistachios last night, I thoroughly agree!

uberalex wrote: »
    This looks fabulous, thank you. Quick question: is it one pot per dozen pies? It's a lot of mince and I wonder will I have time before Christmas for it to mature.

Yes, one pot per dozen. I have notes done up to pop in with mine with the baking instructions and equipment list on them (equipment - 2 sheets of defrosted Jus Roll short crust, some egg wash and a bun tray :)). I reckon if you made it now it would be fine by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I bought some perfect tins to house these babies today (yay euro-shop) ....but I don't have a "double boiler" to make some of them (Oreo fudge is number one on my list!). Any suggestions on where I might find one? IKEA has a brilliant steel pot insert they sell for 4.00 but not here in the Dublin location :(

If anyone is looking for jars, Mr Price have a some, you know the jars that can stand up and at 45 degree angle, sweetie jars. Picked up a couple today. (broke one the second I got home, the glass is fragile enough, slight skip across a tiled floor ended in smash) Only €1.49 though. Naff neon coloured screw lids though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I bought some perfect tins to house these babies today (yay euro-shop) ....but I don't have a "double boiler" to make some of them (Oreo fudge is number one on my list!). Any suggestions on where I might find one? IKEA has a brilliant steel pot insert they sell for 4.00 but not here in the Dublin location :(

Just use a bowl over a pot of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Just use a bowl over a pot of water.

Yup, I've only ever used a pyrex bowl over a pot of water. Never owned an actual double boiler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Ah ok ...never made anything like this before so thought it was a deal-breaker. Thanks.

Advertisement