Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I have a recipe for slow cooker lemon curd that claims to last a year. Only problem is finding a heatproof bowl that will fit in my oval slow cooker....

you got the recipe? Oh and supervalu are doing a special on Pyrex at the moment. :D

Pyrex offer, picked up a bowl for a few € last week.

http://supervalu.ie/offers/cookware-for-life/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

I have a recipe for slow cooker lemon curd that claims to last a year. Only problem is finding a heatproof bowl that will fit in my oval slow cooker....

I've a pyrex roaster that I do chickens in, I'd say it might fit in a slow-cooker... They do all different sizes in that range, have a look in Tesco or Dunnes you might pick one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I have it in a cook book at home. It looks really good, but all the bowls big enough are round and my small slow cooker is oval!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Any chance of that recipe please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Apple and cranberry chutney currently on the stove. And it absolutely STINKS!!! The smell of cider vinegar is wafting everywhere. It better taste good.

Recipe is from BBC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I made that last year RoseLily and it was lovely i got lots of compliments on it.

BTW where did you get your cranberries? I have only seen them in M&S and they are very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Weve made blackberry vodka for ourselves this year. If its good, a lot of people will be getting one next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

RosyLily wrote: »
    Apple and cranberry chutney currently on the stove. And it absolutely STINKS!!! The smell of cider vinegar is wafting everywhere. It better taste good.

Recipe is from BBC

Swore I'd never make chutney again for that reason. The house stunk for days.

ahayes84 wrote: »
    I made that last year RoseLily and it was lovely i got lots of compliments on it.

BTW where did you get your cranberries? I have only seen them in M&S and they are very expensive.

Good to know. Had a little taste of it and was really nice! Did you store the chutney for long before using it?

Got cranberries in a small fruit and veg shop in Kilkenny. Couldn't find them in Tesco, Dunnes or Superquinn.
    Mince Pie wrote: »
    Swore I'd never make chutney again for that reason. The house stunk for days.

Smell has gone now...thank god!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

Starting my chilli jam tonight :D pray for me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

Anyone any idea how long it takes to thicken the lemon curd??

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

trying something a bit different (for me) chocolate biscuit cake christmas puds, today's just a trial run obviously cause it'd be too soon to make them for christmas gifts

pud1_zpscd86d9dc.jpg

have to improve on my icing though

pud2_zps5e969205.jpg

Looks fab Tabitha Rose.

So i got a little impatient with the curd and turned up the heat and yep it curdled. Salvaged most of it by sieving it. Lesson learned by rereading this thread and I see people use a water bath instead of direct heat. (nods and says this will be what i do next time) In fairness the bit i did save tastes yum

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Weve made blackberry vodka for ourselves this year. If its good, a lot of people will be getting one next year!

I'd be very interested in the recipe please, I make blackberry (& other fruit) vinegars but haven't made any alcohol & fruit combinations, I was reading about blackberry whiskey which I like the sound of too :)

Oooh, that sounds nice! Any chance of the recipe please?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

A poster posted last year about mint jars in tesco. Just a head up to those keeping costs low aldi have lots of cheap jars (above freezers). I got loads. Also the apple sauce labels fall off really easy, mustards not so much :)
    There's writing on the apple sauce lids but I'm going to cover it with a sticker/material

Pics with prices attached.

Or not.... Lol

And full! I did beet root/apple chutney, apple sauce and strawberry jam this evening. I'm concerned the strawberry jam won't set but I doubled plus some the simmering time so we'll see. The apple sauce is a bit browner than Id like but it tastes good. The surprise though was the beet root, I hate the stuff or at least I did! My dad loves the stuff so I said I'd give it a go. Tasted this though coz you can't be cooking without tasting and lo and behold I love it!! No idea if it actually tastes 'correct' but this stuffs going on my sandwiches!!

Edit: Just had a toasted ham sandwich with the beetroot relish. I am in seventh heaven :)

Love boards and love this thread!

Wow musicmental you must have been flat out in kitchen. I thought I was doing well and all I managed was one jar of lemon curd (what i was left with after it curdled but it is fab) and 5 jars of beetroot. My first time trying both and I will definitely be making them again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Made piccalilli and chile jam today. However I have a feeling that the jam hasn't set and I will have to do it again. Sigh.

I had already made some raspberry jam a couple of weeks ago.

They are selling cellophane in Tiger on Nassau street as well for 2 Euro a roll if anyone is looking for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Made piccalilli and chile jam today. However I have a feeling that the jam hasn't set and I will have to do it again. Sigh.

I had already made some raspberry jam a couple of weeks ago.

They are selling cellophane in Tiger on Nassau street as well for 2 Euro a roll if anyone is looking for it.

Any idea how much is on the roll?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

dee_mc wrote: »
    Any idea how much is on the roll?

It's two euro for a 5 metre roll

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

It's two euro for a 5 metre roll

Thank you!

shhling wrote: »
    Wow musicmental you must have been flat out in kitchen. I thought I was doing well and all I managed was one jar of lemon curd (what i was left with after it curdled but it is fab) and 5 jars of beetroot. My first time trying both and I will definitely be making them again

I was but I have my school panto this week so if I didn't do it now it wasn't going to get done until at least dec 6th and I thought that was a bit late in case it went wrong!

I'm going to try the lemon curd and the biscotti tonight. Biscotti for eating to see if they are nice, the lemon curd for the actual hampers.

Edit: Annnnnnd I also burnt my darn lemon curd. Started the recipe in a bowl above the saucepan but didn't have a big enough bowl and had to transfer. Cue mad panic 5 mins later when it burned. I salvaged three pots of it (I had doubled the recipe) but they still have the odd bit of "brown" in it. Flip it.

On the other hand the biscotti smell bloody gorgeous. They're on the last bake right now

Just wondering does anyone have any veg relish recipes like the beetroot? Its actually healthy and I love it. Would like to try anything similar if anyone knows any!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Red onion jam/relish can be lovely? I also made Mary Berry's christmas chutney which is veg based and doesn't use a lot of sugar either so is quite healthy.

Atul Kochhar has one for red cabbage which looks lovely. Think i might try this myself http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/579434

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Just wondering does anyone have any veg relish recipes like the beetroot?

I regularly make fitzcoff's courgette relish, it's amazing. I have a batch maturing for Christmas :)
    LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Hi, for those of you who have made the beetroot chutney...what type of vinegar would you use? Cider vinegar, red wine vinegar or regular? First time chutney maker!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

amklo wrote: »
    Hi, for those of you who have made the beetroot chutney...what type of vinegar would you use? Cider vinegar, red wine vinegar or regular? First time chutney maker!!
    I use ordinary white vinegar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

After reading a post here I went to Aldi and bought the Dijon mustard to use the jars. They cost 47c each, the jars are a nice shape, the kids are plain black and the labels came off really easily after soaking the jars in soapy water overnight. Great bargain!

Advertisement