Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

...and so it begins

Four hours later!

3 fruit marmalade: lemon orange and grapefruit. There was also a little of this left over that I put away for my marmalade loving boyfriend. Yielded 4 500ml ikea kilners. Very impressed as before you add the sugar if looks as if you'd barely fill a single jar. Total cost per jar; €1.81 (inc jars)

image_zpsf950dfcd.jpg

Tomato chutney: the easiest one to make but yielded very very little. Recipe had 1kg of tomato and 500g of red onion and I only got a jar and a half of chutney in total. Disappointing as it does cook for a long time and making it again will be time consuming. Tastes fantastic though :)

image_zps994fa66b.jpg

Beet root relish. Looks fantastic! Not a huge beet root fan but my mother is and says it tastes great. Quick to make, once prep was done they were jars and all within the hour :)

3.5 jars full but I did double the recipe.

image_zpsf1d147dc.jpg

Have a red onion marmalade to make still this week and cucumber relish and sweet chili jam and then I'm all done until I start on fudges, honeycombs and biscotti etc in December. Don't think I've ever been so prepared! :D

image_zpsb64059bb.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Wow, epic work, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

They all look amazing,

Are the IKEA jars expensive?

The ikea jars were only €1 at the time I bought them (about 6 weeks ago) but they vary in price through the year, have seen them up to about €1.75. Went to get more at the weekend but they were gone and I only have two empty ones left :( In comparison the small jars were heating last year and they were €2.50 a pop! They do look good I have to say. Very pleased with how they turned out.

• Advertisement

Can anyone help with this please?

What is the difference between marmalades, jams, preserves, relishes, chutneys and all the other sorts? Is there a technical difference or is just different strokes for different folks. I don't want to label anything incorrectly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm interested in finding out too. I make beetroot chutney and courgette relish, according to the recipes, but I can't see a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Faith - christmas cake - the Bourke Street Cookbook has a very good Christmas cake recipe but it takes about 15-16 weeks, starting with a five-week fruit soak (in tea or alcohol) and 8-10 weeks of feeding 1tsp branding twice a week. ...so in other words it's a good time to start.

I made home made mincemeat over the weekend (delia recipe) for mince pies. Might make more of it and put it in jars as gifts...

Ikea kilners will be back in stock tomorrow apparently :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ikea kilners will be back in stock tomorrow apparently :)

Mr Faith and I had a debate this morning about Ikea announcing they've no plans to come to Cork. He claims the area is too small for them. After we worked it out, we found that in the UK, there's 1 Ikea per 3.5 million people (yes, we're fierce nerds!). Given that, we decided, feck it, we'll just take a day trip to Dublin to stock up on loads of Ikea goodies in the next few weeks :D. It might be a bit of a road trip and not at all economical, but I need cheap kilner jars, dammit! :D

You can check stock availability online for the jars and it will show you when the next shipment is due it too, so you don't have a wasted journey, like :pac:

Today so far I have made bramley apple and strawberry jam. Got 1.5kg of strawberries on Moore st yesterday for €4 so would have been a shame to waste them :D

image_zps5ea2e6b6.jpg

Strawberries, sugar and lemon juice. This is *the* sweetest smelling thing in the world.

image_zps47015666.jpg

image_zpse39f01a7.jpg

1kg of strawberries, 1kg of caster sugar and 500g of granulated, 3 bramley apples and the juice of 1.5 lemons yielded 2x 500ml jars and 3 x 125ml jars. With a little bit left over for my own toast :o

Setting point according to the recipe should have been after 25 mins but this was on the hob for nearly an hour and 10 mins. Got there in the end, checking the setting point with the cold saucer method every 7/8 mins.

So, made caramelised red onion marmalade last night (I'm on a weeks holidays from work, hence all the prep :o) all looked well, followed the recipe to the letter and each step corresponded perfectly with what I was seeing and smelling in the pot. I jarred them all as usual, sealed them and allowed them to cool overnight. Woke up and there's a hard layer of butter covering the to of them all :( the butter goes in right at the very beginning of cooking before everything else is mixed in. Can't understand why it turned out this way. Anyone have any ideas? Is there any way to fix this? Maybe putting it back on the heat and sealing the jar only after the mixture has cooled?

a16e8k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

So, made caramelised red onion marmalade last night (I'm on a weeks holidays from work, hence all the prep :o) all looked well, followed the recipe to the letter and each step corresponded perfectly with what I was seeing and smelling in the pot. I jarred them all as usual, sealed them and allowed them to cool overnight. Woke up and there's a hard layer of butter covering the to of them all :( the butter goes in right at the very beginning of cooking before everything else is mixed in. Can't understand why it turned out this way. Anyone have any ideas? Is there any way to fix this? Maybe putting it back on the heat and sealing the jar only after the mixture has cooled?

Try turning them upside down;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hi Michellenman, did you use the BBC Goodfood recipe by any chance? I avoided it after a friend who made it said there's too much butter in the stated amounts? (The comments under the recipe reflect this) If making it again you could reduce the amount of butter or just use a little oil. For this lot, you could get it back into the pot and bring it back to the boil, simmer for a while, and stir several times while it's cooling (i.e. don't pot it while it's still very hot, give it 20 minutes or so) which should disperse the butter more.

Try turning them upside down;):D

As in turn them upside down now or do it when I repot them. The mixture doesn't move around the jar at all now, the butter on top seems to have formed a seal across the top.

Yeah dee_mc it's the good food recipe! Will have to be more careful choosing recipes in future! Will try you technique and see how I get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

To be honest, that doesn't look too excessive to me, I add a lot more than that to my pate. A layer of fat is actually a preservative seal if it's complete. If it bothers you just pick the worst of it off when cold then remelt and repot the whole lot. Adjust the recipe next time, I usually find I have to reduce the fat content of recipes, my taste buds and stomach are used to leaner fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭dee_mc

As in turn them upside down now or do it when I repot them. The mixture doesn't move around the jar at all now, the butter on top seems to have formed a seal across the top.

Yeah dee_mc it's the good food recipe! Will have to be more careful choosing recipes in future! Will try you technique and see how I get on :)
    I suspect the 'turn them upside down' comment refers to the fact your picture above is upside down :D
    Let us know how the repotting goes please

Is it?! It's right way up for me! No idea why it appears upside for ye :confused: sorry! :o

I'm gonna open the jar, scrape the tops, bring it all back up to the boil, allow them to cool for 20-30 mins while stirring in the pot and then repot after re-sterilising the jars.

Thanks everyone, will let ye know how I get on :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Is it?! It's right way up for me! No idea why it appears upside for ye :confused: sorry! :o

Fixed :)

• Advertisement

Followed yer guidance and seems to have worked! Thank you :)

Finished all I could be bothered finishing for the time being today. Have decided to leave the cucumber relish out and will leave the chili jam until later in November.

image_zpsa312c66e.jpg

Left to right; [at the back of the rows]4x 3 fruit marmalade. 4xlemon and lime smooth marmalade. 5x bramley apple and strawberry jam. 3x orange and lemon marmalade (needed another few jars of this but had no grapefruit to hand so improvised) 2xtomato chutney. 4x beet root relish. 2x red onion marmalade.

I never want to see my stove top ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

have tried the good food recipe twice now - doesn't seem to keep well apart from the butter issue, despite the fact it tastes amazing, does anyone have a recommendation for a better red onion marmalade?

started making mincemeat for my mince pies today - first attempt - fingers crossed lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I'm making spiced arancello as per the bbc website, going to leave it about 3 or 4 weeks before I add the sugar, and the same afterwards- apparently it's best to leave liquors (like with limoncello) to steep for longer periods of time.

I'm making 2 litres of it so I doubled everything. I want to make at least 4 0.5L slow gin bottles full, or maybe some 0.25L bottles instead. Fingers crossed it works out okay :D

b90b420d-0db3-4c3a-927f-0056de7b645b_zpsc99f2514.jpg

Decided to try making mincemeat, as my Dad LOVES mincepies:

1_zps94e4855a.jpg

The result:

2_zpsb42af117.jpg

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/mincemeat/home-made-christmas-mincemeat.html

Decided to try making mincemeat, as my Dad LOVES mincepies:

1_zps94e4855a.jpg

The result:

2_zpsb42af117.jpg

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/mincemeat/home-made-christmas-mincemeat.html

Where did you buy the suet

fitzcoff wrote: »
    Where did you buy the suet

I used veggie suet, (cause I am one lol) but they'd both veggie & non veggie suet in Dunnes, and I think I saw it in Supervalu also ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Good news all. I was in Ikea today and the kilner jars are €1 at the moment. So stock up. They had loads of them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Wurly wrote: »
    Good news all. I was in Ikea today and the kilner jars are €1 at the moment. So stock up. They had loads of them. :)

Yep, I was in yesterday and bought a feck tonne :D I only spend €23 euro over there but got some amazing deals!

Wurly wrote: »

I want to live in Dublin :(

The nearest place I would have selling Kilner jars is Shaws, they have 20% off at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Hi all,

I wonder could anyone advise me on using used jars for preserving? I make jam every year and use old jam jars with the blister on top to let me know if the vacuum has worked. They always seem to last fine (just finishing the last of 3 year old crab apple jelly).

I'd like to make a few extra bits this year and because damned ikea *shakes fist* won't come to cork, I'm a bit short of jars. I have a few maille mustard ones, a few mayonnaise, curry sauce etc that I was just using for general bits. Would they be ok to use for say onion marmalade, lemon curd or chili jam? Or should I just go buy some kilner jars? Has anyone tried the pound shop versions maybe?

Would prefer not to kill anyone in the process of gift giving:o

Advertisement