Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Hello all,

have read all the posts and I don't think this has been covered but apologies if it was and I missed it. I am planning a few edible gifts this year and want to include little Christmas puddings in a few of them. The recipe I have is for a regular sized 2.5 pint pudding and calls for it to be boiled for approx 4 hours. If I have 0.5 pint pudding bowls or 1pt pudding bowls, how much should I reduce the cooking time by? Or do I even need to reduce the cooking time?

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Got started on the Christmas hampers this weekend. Made Chilli Jam and Red Onion Marmalade. Also bought cellophane and hamper baskets for cheap in the local discount store (€1.99 for small ones and €2.99 for bigger ones).

Think I've decided on my hamper contents being
    Chilli Jam
    Red Onion Marmalade
    Lemon Curd
    Mulled Wine Kit
    Cranberry, Pistachio and White Chocolate Biscotti
    Dark Chocolate and Jameson Fudge
    8joN8TMl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Good work!

Have you a recipe for the onion marmalade?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

They look amazing Yurmothrintites! :) Wish I had my own kitchen to whip up gifts like that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Got started on the Christmas hampers this weekend. Made Chilli Jam and Red Onion Marmalade. Also bought cellophane and hamper baskets for cheap in the local discount store (€1.99 for small ones and €2.99 for bigger ones).

Chilli Jam
    Red Onion Marmalade
    Lemon Curd
    Mulled Wine Kit
    8joN8TMl.jpg

Sounds lovely! Do you use a Lemon Curd recipe that keeps for more than the 2 / 3 weeks that most do? I have only seen the shorter shelf-life recipes, would appreciate if you have a different one to share?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Chilli Jam
    Red Onion Marmalade
    Lemon Curd
    Mulled Wine Kit
    ]

Would love the recipe for the fudge and is it easy or difficult to make? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Good work!

Have you a recipe for the onion marmalade?

Thanks a million! I used this recipe posted by Tabitharose from an Aldi brochure....turned out really well!. Here it is: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81830056&postcount=469
    muckety wrote: »
    Sounds lovely! Do you use a Lemon Curd recipe that keeps for more than the 2 / 3 weeks that most do? I have only seen the shorter shelf-life recipes, would appreciate if you have a different one to share?
    To be honest I haven't thought much about the Lemon Curd recipe yet. I'll probably make that in the week before Christmas and pop it in then! :)
    Blingy wrote: »
    Would love the recipe for the fudge and is it easy or difficult to make? Thanks.
    I've used this fudge recipe before and it's really easy. I'm going to alter the recipe for the whiskey addition and leave out the pistachios. It's a very rich recipe so the smaller the pieces, the better! Will test it out first though with the whiskey.....an excuse to eat more chocolate!! :)
    http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-pistachio-fudge-96

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Thanks a million! I used this recipe posted by Tabitharose from an Aldi brochure....turned out really well!. Here it is: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81830056&postcount=469

haha excellent - I lost the recipe & had forgotten I'd put it up - so thanks for that - I can make it again now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Finally started! Made some red onion marmalade and started some turkish delight vodka.

I have many jars and sweet bags and such, probably have gotten a bit carried away with all the things I want to make, definitely don't have enough free time but the hampers will be decent enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Finally started! Made some red onion marmalade and started some turkish delight vodka.

I have many jars and sweet bags and such, probably have gotten a bit carried away with all the things I want to make, definitely don't have enough free time but the hampers will be decent enough!

OMG, have you got a recipe for Turkish Delight Vodka? Please.

• Advertisement

Mince Pie wrote: »
    OMG, have you got a recipe for Turkish Delight Vodka? Please.

Here ya go!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1803646/turkish-delight-vodka

I read a few comments about it on blogs and such, says 8 weeks is the best infusing time so get on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Hi all,

I wonder could anyone advise me on using used jars for preserving? I make jam every year and use old jam jars with the blister on top to let me know if the vacuum has worked. They always seem to last fine (just finishing the last of 3 year old crab apple jelly).

I'd like to make a few extra bits this year and because damned ikea *shakes fist* won't come to cork, I'm a bit short of jars. I have a few maille mustard ones, a few mayonnaise, curry sauce etc that I was just using for general bits. Would they be ok to use for say onion marmalade, lemon curd or chili jam? Or should I just go buy some kilner jars? Has anyone tried the pound shop versions maybe?

Would prefer not to kill anyone in the process of gift giving:o

I've used those jars to make things beside jam before so I'd imagine you'd be fine. I guess it depends on how vinegary what you are making is.

If you're looking for a good place to buy jars in bulk All Pack is great - you buy jars in packs of 40/50 and the prices are great. I always collect as I'm near their warehouse in Sandyford so no idea of delivery charges

http://www.alpack.ie/Glass_Jars_230ml_to_320ml/Default.147.html

e.g. on that link above you can get 50 round jars for €10.20 plus VAT (so €12.45) - you also need to buy lids separately but they don't cost much. They have some more unusual shaped jars and bottles too and the kilner types one if you want a cheap source for those.

Does anyone have a good recipe for christmas cookies? I have cookie cutters in the shape of christmas baubles so I was thinking of making those a day or two before and decorating. I was thinking a cookie dough with a bit of a christmassy taste might be nice (cinnamon maybe?) but I find it hard to get a recipe that's a good mix of taste and being easy to cut shapes out of.

I remember a friend made Easter ones once that had lemon and sultanas in them and she had a bunny rabbit cookie cutter so something along those lines, but Christmassy would be lovey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I'd go for cranberry and orange cookies. Very festive.

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I'd go for cranberry and orange cookies. Very festive.

Ooh, yummy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

http://allrecipes.co.uk/how-to/50/festive-food-gifts.aspx

Just got this in an email good few ideas there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

This is an amazing thread! Just chatting to the OH and I'm under orders to look for
    Cranberry Sauce
    Apple Sauce
    Strawberry jam

Has anyone tried any of these? Any suggestions for recipes/hints tips?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭dee_mc

This is an amazing thread! Just chatting to the OH and I'm under orders to look for
    Cranberry Sauce
    Apple Sauce
    Strawberry jam

Has anyone tried any of these? Any suggestions for recipes/hints tips?!
    Cranberry sauce - per 340g bag of cranberries, add 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water, or half water and half red wine, or half water and half orange juice, plus a little splash of brandy if you like, and the grated rind of an orange if you like. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes til all the berries have popped and the sauce is quite thick and glossy - beware, it will go through an ugly, foamy phase but this will pass so persevere :D
    Keeps for about 12 months if properly sealed, great with Christmas dinner, epic with baked brie and crusty bread :)

Edit: I forgot the most important bit! If you're using the wine, add a sachet of mulled wine spice (like a little teabag, stocked in supermarket) and don't forget to remove the sachet before you pot it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Jam Recipe from BBC website.

Hoping to try this recipe myself for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PigeonPie

Lemons on special offer in Aldi for anyone making lemon curd. Made my first bit of my Christmas hampers last night, 10 jars of chilli jam. Calling it chilli sauce though as it's a bit runny! Just love this thread. Got loads of ideas from here. :)

PigeonPie wrote: »
    Lemons on special offer in Aldi for anyone making lemon curd. Made my first bit of my Christmas hampers last night, 10 jars of chilli jam. Calling it chilli sauce though as it's a bit runny! Just love this thread. Got loads of ideas from here. :)

If you don't mind me asking what do you use the chilli jam for? Or should I say how is it best used? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

If you don't mind me asking what do you use the chilli jam for? Or should I say how is it best used? Thanks

I used it as an accompaniment for meats, dip for tortillas, with cheese the list is endless!!

So far have made spiced apple chutney which went down a treat last year. Everyone loved it.
    Also made rhubarb and vanilla jam which I hope tastes ok. May have put in too much vanilla!

Trying to decide now if ill make anything else. Love the idea of the infused vodka but just not sure if it would actually be drank.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Usually do puddings in the pressure cooker. Did one in the slow cooker last year, turned out paler than the pressure cooker one (recipe makes two), but still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PigeonPie

:)
    I use it with loads, I love it. Use it on sandwiches, salads, mix it with mayo to make a chilli mayo, use it as a marinade for chicken, it's yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mackes

Usually do puddings in the pressure cooker. Did one in the slow cooker last year, turned out paler than the pressure cooker one (recipe makes two), but still good.

I do mine on the stove in the sitting room! Felt very eco friendly but also slightly regressive...felt I needed a black shawl and a red petticoat on me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Can I start making lemon curd now? Or will it turn mank by Christmas Eve?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

RosyLily wrote: »
    Can I start making lemon curd now? Or will it turn mank by Christmas Eve?

I recently opened a jar of lemon curd that was made in April and it was perfect.
    Kept in the fridge.

• Advertisement

I have a recipe for slow cooker lemon curd that claims to last a year. Only problem is finding a heatproof bowl that will fit in my oval slow cooker....

Advertisement