Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi company racism report

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

I think a lot of you should ask this question.

why are there so many racist taxi-men?

In fact, there is not. What makes the taximen upset is that they had to go through all the proper channels to get their taxis, sometimes paying thousands of euros, mortgaging their house, etc to get their taxi sign. Next thing you know all the rules went out the window and anybody could apply to be a taxi driver. (think about this in every other job situation in ireland - think if it happened in your job - what would you do).

Also there are strict regulations in becoming a taxi driver - however if someone comes in from a different country they have no way of checking their credentials.

Has anybody heard that these days taxi's seem to get "shared" even tho only one person has the licence. Also anyone heard about the insurance fraud. A insurance sticker is presented on the car, but in fact once the sticker has been posted, the insurance is then cancelled, therefore the sticker is on the car but no insurance behind it. You need to take all this into consideratin before picking your cab.

You wouldn't walk into a shop and purchase the first thing you see - you shop around for what you think is the best value and safest option. Its the same with taxis - you can decide to spend your money on whatever taxi you like - maybe you have a favourite taxi driver, a favourite company

at the end of the day taxi men are not racist - they just see what has happened and what is going on in their industry and how they have been screwed.

Also a person can spend their own money how they wish - doesn't make them racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

In fact, there is not. What makes the taximen upset is that they had to go through all the proper channels to get their taxis, sometimes paying thousands of euros, mortgaging their house, etc to get their taxi sign. Next thing you know all the rules went out the window and anybody could apply to be a taxi driver. (think about this in every other job situation in ireland - think if it happened in your job - what would you do).

I can appreciate that alot of taxi drivers lost alot of money, but they did not help themselves. The plates were at one time priced at 100,000 - 150,000 in Dublin as far as I know at the height. Talking to an accountant some taxi drivers were quoting fares as low as 15,000 to the tax man. This is probably a good way not to be fleeced by the tax man but from the governments point of view if you earn 15000 a year in fares (gross). How many years would it take to repay the investment on the plate. So hence why changes were made to the industry

I any case I am going off thread now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I think a lot of you should ask this question.

why are there so many racist taxi-men?

In fact, there is not.

Also a person can spend their own money how they wish - doesn't make them racist.

Of course there are racist taxi drivers, just like there are corrupt white AND black individual taxi drivers. Yes people are upset that the Market is flooded, I understand that, but it is no excuse for venomous racism. Yes it IS racist to make assumptions about a person (assuming they are a cr*ap driver, assuming they are engaged in fradulent activity, assuming they are a sexual predator etc) purely based on the colour of their skin, never mind what country they were born in.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Of course there are racist taxi drivers, just like there are corrupt white AND black individual taxi drivers. Yes people are upset that the Market is flooded, I understand that, but it is no excuse for venomous racism. Yes it IS racist to make assumptions about a person (assuming they are a cr*ap driver, assuming they are engaged in fradulent activity, assuming they are a sexual predator etc) purely based on the colour of their skin, never mind what country they were born in.

of course it is racist that people call people names because of their colour and I don't dispute that.

However it is NOT racist to pick the cab you wish to do business in. Its the same as picking a shop you wish to do business in. You have the right how to decide. That is NOT racism. I think ALL taxi drivers have a lot to put up with especially at night - the ALL get abused, attacked, verbally AND physically, black and white alike.

to play a "race" card because somebody decided to pick their own choice of car for a lift does not do any favours for anybody - everyone has their own choice, as they do when they shop for anything else.

and that racism happens all over, so blaming the taxi drivers for this is uncalled for.

everyone is now telling people to "shop Local" - isnt' THAT racism

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

However it is NOT racist to pick the cab you wish to do business in. Its the same as picking a shop you wish to do business in. You have the right how to decide. That is NOT racism.
    You can pick whatever cab you want on any criteria you like and it isn't racism.
    Except when you pick based on the race of the driver. That's pretty much the definition of racism.
    And that "shop local" line is a crock. You locality is a geographical region, not an ethic group. Deporting all non-EU nationals isn't racist. Deporting all black people is. See the difference?

I don't have a problem with *real* shop local, as in support local business, eat food produced locally, etc. BUT that means supporting all local business, run by people of all races.

And yes, people have a right to choose whose business they support, but it should not or can not be done by skin colour.

You can pick whatever cab you want on any criteria you like and it isn't racism.
    Except when you pick based on the race of the driver. That's pretty much the definition of racism.
    And that "shop local" line is a crock. You locality is a geographical region, not an ethic group. Deporting all non-EU nationals isn't racist. Deporting all black people is. See the difference?

If I wont go in a taxi because he has red hair because I believe red haired people have a bad temper - is this discrimination ?

exactly

so the next time you see somebody deciding which taxi they might want to take, lets not all automatically assume it a "race" issue.

exactly

so the next time you see somebody deciding which taxi they might want to take, lets not all automatically assume it a "race" issue.
    Unless they are deciding which taxi they might want to take on the basis of what race the driver is.
    In which case it most definitely is a race issue.
    You're really presenting one of the most pathetic "I'm not a racist but" arguments at this stage.

• Advertisement

Unless they are deciding which taxi they might want to take on the basis of what race the driver is.
    You're really presenting one of the most pathetic "I'm not a racist but" arguments at this stage.

In icy condition who would you prefer to drive you

By the way well known that during icy conditions black taxi drivers were not out at night, only white Irish, Polish etc

They have more experience of driving in icy conditions, so if a person decided not to go with a black taxi driver would this be racist

Dan_Solo wrote: »

well as far as I can tell, I don't think anybody has the gift of being a mind reader, and so it is quite impossible to come to the conclusion that because somebody decides which car they want to occupy, it must come down to a race issue. :D

Unless the person is actually screaming racist remarks while doing it, nobody has the right to automatically assume somebody is racist.

mbiking123 wrote: »
    They have more experience of driving in icy conditions, so if a person decided not to go with a black taxi driver would this be racist
    Even you decided not to put a question mark at the end of that sentence because it isn't really a question.
    Yes it's racist.
    Is this really that complicated? If you decide something on the basis on somebody's race then it is racism and you are a racist. There's no wriggling out of it. At least be honest and admit it.

Even you decided not to put a question mark at the end of that sentence because it isn't really a question.
    Yes it's racist.
    Is this really that complicated? If you decide something on the basis on somebody's race then it is racism and you are a racist. There's no wriggling out of it. At least be honest and admit it.

I think somebody from Finland would be better at driving in icy conditions than a person from Africa - shame on me I am racist for thinking such a thing

It has nothing to do with they have icy road conditions, that close to north pole its just racism

Of course if I said black people are better at driving in all conditions because they are black and for no other reason - that is ok not racism

well as far as I can tell, I don't think anybody has the gift of being a mind reader, and so it is quite impossible to come to the conclusion that because somebody decides which car they want to occupy, it must come down to a race issue. :D

Unless the person is actually screaming racist remarks while doing it, nobody has the right to automatically assume somebody is racist.
    I've never heard such attempted evasive twaddle.
    So if you're not shouting "I'm shooting this guy in the face!" when you shoot some guy in the face you can't be arrested? Er, right...:rolleyes:

I am actually responding mostly to the direct comments on here where people say they would not get into a 'black' taxi. You'd only be making an educated guess on the street.

FYI

just published today in Galway Advertiser

I am probably adding fuel to the fire here

but here goes

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/34238

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I've never heard such attempted evasive twaddle.
    So if you're not shouting "I'm shooting this guy in the face!" when you shoot some guy in the face you can't be arrested? Er, right...:rolleyes:

Dan no offence, but you've just lost the arguement. :D

mbiking123 wrote: »
    I think somebody from Finland would be better at driving in icy conditions than a person from Africa - shame on me I am racist for thinking such a thing

It has nothing to do with they have icy road conditions, that close to north pole its just racism

Of course if I said black people are better at driving in all conditions because they are black and for no other reason - that is ok not racism
    So I can automatically take it that you always use black taxi drivers when the roads are not icy, as they have more experience driving on good roads?

Dan no offence, but you've just lost the arguement. :D
    That's a new debating technique to me. Just declare you've won even though you are incapable of addressing the points raised in any logical manner.
    Does this method work a lot for you?

• Advertisement

as they have more experience driving on good roads

never said that, I referred to icy roads

I am actually responding mostly to the direct comments on here where people say they would not get into a 'black' taxi. You'd only be making an educated guess on the street.

I agree inisbofin - it would only be your own mind telling yourself that, that person is a racist, when in fact that person might have a completely different reason for selecting a different cab.

but I guess some people can see racism everywhere.

just wondering if you call an Irish person an a**hole, is it racism - no

if you call a black person an a**hole, is it racism - no, but some people would like to put it down your throat that it is.
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

a-train-wrecks-accidents-241.jpg

/moderation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement