Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi company racism report

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

As I previously showed if a taxi driver is not happy with the person who is looking for a trip they will refuse them. I am white, not drunk etc etc and I have been refused with the Dublin airport excuse

So I am sure its ok for customer to choose what taxi they want, goes both ways

Maybe they read that article about Scottish people disembowelling sheep, and stuffing their stomachs with spiced breadcrumbs and eating it at special occasions, or about Irish peope cutting the feet off pigs in parts of rural Ireland, and serving them in jars of vinegar in pubs, or maybe Spanish people slowiny goring a bull to death with knives as people cheer, or English hunting baby foxes with blood-thirsty dogs (foxes are clever, supposed to have a bit of personality, right?). They are all White - Wouldn't want to get into a car with
    any of them if you're a vegetarian of any standing, never mind buy a product
    from their country!rolleyes.gif

I didn't bring up the meat thing, an earlier poster did. 'We' may not eat whales but we eat creatures that others may not, or are not ecologically sustainable.
    this was said to me first, I was only replying to what was put to me. But I take you point

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Didn't someone post a link to the taxi regulator site already - it is discretionary to refuse a disorderly passenger OR someone who is going OVER a certain distance, unless you want to take the fare. Anything else, ask the driver why. If you don't think it's fair, take their number, and make a complaint.

No proper regulation back then, now they will nearly take your arm off for a fare.

Where you in Ireland back then ? Do you remember the times when taxi drivers picked their clients ? They could be choosy. Regulation back then - forget it

About 15 years ago, maybe your too young

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Surely a taxi driver can just say "I'm finishing my shift" and not take someone?

If a shop is allowed to refuse sale I don't see why a taxi can't.

• Advertisement

Surely a taxi driver can just say "I'm finishing my shift" and not take someone?

If a shop is allowed to refuse sale I don't see why a taxi can't.

Yes right to refuse, your word against their's

mbiking123 wrote: »
    Yes right to refuse, your word against their's

Yes I do remembe it then, not too young (sigh) :)
    I remember 3 hour waits, and young people hitching home dangerously as they couldn't get taxis. One good thing now is that people can get home!

I was talking about current regulations, and the relevant one is quoted in this thread.

Of course people at the end of a shift can say so. I think the point of the 'rule' is to discourage people refusing short fares etc. Reasonable refusals are fine, but not all are mentioned, like end of shift, too many etc.

I'm sure people abuse this, but it would be easy enough to spot if they took the fare after you. Report it if it happens! They likely pull the same craic a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

po0k wrote: »
    Question: Is this all you need to start a taxi syndicate? A radio license, radio basestation, dispatcher, phone lines, radios for syndicate members and advertising?
    If so, when will we see more organized taxi syndicates increasing competition?
    You don't even need the radios. All you really need is a phone number the public can call, and advertise it to the moon and back. If you wanted to use mobile phones to call the taxis with jobs at that stage you could, might not be a bad idea with the free text packages available actually.

All taxi drivers are self employed in Ireland, with the possible exception of those who are working in someone else's car, but even then the guy with the car will probably tell them to do their own taxes.

Taxi companies are associations of taxi drivers who pay rent partially for the use of the radio etc., but most of all pay for the marketing of the phone number. The decision on who gets to join the company is sometimes up to a few people, but most companies have share structures. It is very straightforward to conclude that the main taxi companies in Galway have no black drivers, just line up the members and take a look. Is this racist? Is it just tribalism? Do Africans just not want to pay the often €20k+ for memberships in the companies? I don't know, myself.

However I have seen a new taxi company rolling around the place, Local Taxis, which appears to have in the majority African drivers (just by looking at them), phone number 500 600, so there is organised competition to the established companies. In a town like Galway with a large transient population of non-drivers, there's no reason why they shouldn't do very well if they play their cards right.

As I said in previous post I know Polish guy who is getting out of taxi business as there is no longer any money in it. Just gave it up a few months back.

Nothing racist, people just dont want taxi like they used to, they are staying at home

I have noticed more drivers (black and white) giving you their personal numbers. Works out better for everyone really, they get a regular fare, you get a consistent service and a taxi driver that lets you drink and smoke in the taxi (or doesn't, depending on your preference).

• Advertisement

I have noticed more drivers (black and white) giving you their personal numbers. Works out better for everyone really, they get a regular fare, you get a consistent service and a taxi driver that lets you drink and smoke in the taxi (or doesn't, depending on your preference).

Do they charge you less than what is on the meter ?

Taxi companies often offer a discount, sometimes get them in Galway Advertiser €2 off etc etc

Often got business cards, one guy in big O told me his car number (I know him). Thats as far as it went for me in Galway

Don't know about the shmokin, but isn't drinking in a commercial vehicle totally illegal, unless separated by partition. Wouldn't they be at risk of losing their driving license? Now correct me if I'm wrong?

inisboffin wrote: »
    Don't know about the shmokin, but isn't drinking in a commercial vehicle totally illegal, unless separated by partition. Wouldn't they be at risk of losing their driving license? Now correct me if I'm wrong?

You're right. Smoking is also illegal.

Thankfully in the real world there are people willing to ignore bollocks laws.

The other day I got a taxi home and the driver was having a cigarette. I could have taken his number and reported him but I'm not a dick so I didn't. What comes around goes around I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

I actually choose to talk taxis with black drivers alot of the time, because I know of this disgusting racism and alot of the time, they turn out to be cheaper.

I have also refused taxis at taxi offices who put tricolours on their cars to promote their skin colour, i think it's absolutely disgusting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

po0k wrote: »
    My two 'rules' comments were a lead-up to the later lines to establish that his comment was a falsehood.
    But that part of his comment was not false, and you specifically made the case that it was.
    I'm still not arguing with you at all over whether he is racist. That's obvious to everybody. But I don't see how you can argue that under current laws he isn't allowed choose any taxi he wants, whatever his nonsensical racist "reasoning".

You're right. Smoking is also illegal.

Thankfully in the real world there are people willing to ignore bollocks laws.

The other day I got a taxi home and the driver was having a cigarette. I could have taken his number and reported him but I'm not a dick so I didn't. What comes around goes around I guess!

Yeah, everyone to their own, and a lot of common sense needed, like not letting eejits drink if they're going to grab the wheel 'for a mess' or whatever. I'm just a bit surprised they'd risk so much for a fare re the drinking. Tons of drivers ignore the smoking thing - and fair enough. For a smoker, a long shift is hard to do on a cold day. But by the same token I think it's perfectly grand for a non smoker to get out of a stinky cab and get another once they've had a sniff. ;)

I've shared cabs with people who've been nipping a flask or even having a discreet can, I'm sure the driver knew, but I wouldn't be as keen on picking up the mentallers with PINTS or double fisting bottles of Buckie and decking the empties out the window (truly spotted in a cab!).

I actually choose to talk taxis with black drivers alot of the time, because I know of this disgusting racism and alot of the time, they turn out to be cheaper.

I have also refused taxis at taxi offices who put tricolours on their cars to promote their skin colour, i think it's absolutely disgusting

how are they cheaper, do they charge less than the meter reading ?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

Last time I'll bother posting something related to taxis.

As far as I was aware their are no rules ( Laws i probably should have said) to taking whatever taxi you wish in a queue.

From my own experience I have paid more than I should have a number of occasions. On these occasions the driver was of African descent.

My sincere apolagies if I offended anyone. It wasnt my intent.

Must remind myself in future not to post anything from personal experiences....On an infraction for that previous post apparantly.

how are they cheaper, do they charge less than the meter reading ?

yes but when they're heading back into town from a fare, they'll pick you up and bring you in (since they're heading in anyways) for a fairly cheap price anyways, most of them do it

PomBear wrote: »
    Is it OK to say black taxi drivers are cheaper but racist to say they are dearer?

• Advertisement

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Is it OK to say black taxi drivers are cheaper but racist to say they are dearer?

Not really, it's a compliment and I don't intentionally boycott them by a myth that they are cheaper

Is it OK to say black taxi drivers are cheaper but racist to say they are dearer

lets make this simpler

Is it ok to say they are cheaper

Is it ok to say they are more expensive

A black taxi driver never gave me a discount when on the way back into city, how do I go about getting this type of discount ?

PomBear wrote: »
    Not really, it's a compliment and I don't intentionally boycott them by a myth that they are cheaper

Actually discriminating at all by race is technically racism imo ("black people are better at sports", "black people are always better dancers" etc..) but usually people let it slide more if it is not a derogatory or nasty comment.

Besides, I have a good friend from college who can't dance for sh*t, and he is no lily white man by a long shot.:p

Actually discriminating at all by race is technically racism imo ("black people are better at sports", "black people are always better dancers" etc..) but usually people let it slide more if it is not a derogatory or nasty comment.

I have heard a theory that the reason they are better at sports is due to slavery. Only the fittest survived doing all the hard labour when they were slaves hence why they are stronger etc etc. Bit like Darmins theory of the fittest surving . Only a theory and no actual proof to back it up.

Just remember it was fellow blacks that enslaved them, white man then bought them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_slave_trade

Getting away from the point but the the guy who designed the Claddagh ring supposidily was taken as a slave by black africans and sold to a goldsmith. One of William of Oranges subjects bought his freedom. He returned to Galway and then with his knowledge from the goldsmith he designed the Claddagh Ring.

here is one version http://www.claddaghns.ie/Claddagh%20Ring.html

inisboffin wrote: »
    Actually discriminating at all by race is technically racism imo
    It's not just an opinion!
    That's what I was getting at. Someone got into trouble earlier for saying black drivers were dearer. Not a whisper if you say non-blacks are dearer.

Lets be honest, women are quick to play the sexist card, Mary Coughlan did it recently in the Dail and another woman had to say she was wrong it was not sexist. All the men said nothing, they were afraid to.

Of course some Africans do it, some travellers do it too. Shall I say its only natural, everyone does it if they think it will work.

A white male, born in Ireland, Chrisitan-Roman Catholic, Hetrosexual could claim to be discriminated against. But then who would listen !

I have heard a theory that the reason they are better at sports is due to slavery. Only the fittest survived doing all the hard labour when they were slaves hence why they are stronger etc etc. Bit like Darmins theory of the fittest surving . Only a theory and no actual proof to back it up.

Just remember it was fellow blacks that enslaved them, white man then bought them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_slave_trade

Getting away from the point but the the guy who designed the Claddagh ring supposidily was taken as a slave by black africans and sold to a goldsmith. One of William of Oranges subjects bought his freedom. He returned to Galway and then with his knowledge from the goldsmith he designed the Claddagh Ring.

here is one version http://www.claddaghns.ie/Claddagh%20Ring.html

Oh. My. God. So then *what* does 'hearsay' and 'getting away from the point' have to do with anything? This thread is descending into the nuttier and more bizarre, and I may have to put on my cracked hat to be able to follow the logic soon.....

And who is 'Darmin'? Is that the guy who invented satnav for white people??

Oh. My. God. So then *what* does 'hearsay' and 'getting away from the point' have to do with anything? This thread is descending into the nuttier and more bizarre, and I may have to put on my cracked hat to be able to follow the logic soon.....

And who is 'Darmin'? Is that the guy who invented satnav for white people??

oops typo Darwin you know the guy

anyway http://www.science.smith.edu/exer_sci/ESS200/Raceh/Raceh.htm will explain the theory about blacks better at sports which I did not bring up

But since it was mentioned by someone else I explained the theory which goes back to 1972

back to

Lets be honest, women are quick to play the sexist card, Mary Coughlan did it recently in the Dail and another woman had to say she was wrong it was not sexist. All the men said nothing, they were afraid to.

Of course some Africans do it, some travellers do it too. Shall I say its only natural, everyone does it if they think it will work.

A white male, born in Ireland, Chrisitan-Roman Catholic, Hetrosexual could claim to be discriminated against. But then who would listen !

• Advertisement

oops typo Darwin you know the guy

anyway http://www.science.smith.edu/exer_sci/ESS200/Raceh/Raceh.htm will explain the theory about blacks better at sports which I did not bring up

But since it was mentioned by someone else I explained the theory which goes back to 1972

MY CAPS LOCK IS STUCK> HELP!

NOT ALL BLACK PEOPLE ARE GOOD DANCERS OR GOOD AT SPORTS.

NOT ALL CHINESE PEOPLE ARE MATHEMATICIANS

NOT ALL WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP

A LOT OF MELANIN DOTH NOT A BORG MAKE

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement