Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi company racism report

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

MY CAPS LOCK IS STUCK> HELP!

NOT ALL BLACK PEOPLE ARE GOOD DANCERS OR GOOD AT SPORTS.

NOT ALL CHINESE PEOPLE ARE MATHEMATICIANS

NOT ALL WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP

A LOT OF MELANIN DOTH NOT A BORG MAKE

go down to PC world and get a new keyboard

back to

Lets be honest, women are quick to play the sexist card, Mary Coughlan did it recently in the Dail and another woman had to say she was wrong it was not sexist. All the men said nothing, they were afraid to.

Of course some Africans do it, some travellers do it too. Shall I say its only natural, everyone does it if they think it will work.

A white male, born in Ireland, Chrisitan-Roman Catholic, Hetrosexual could claim to be discriminated against. But then who would listen !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

mbiking123 wrote: »
    go down to PC world and get a new keyboard

PC world, ha ha, we could do with a wee pinch of that here. All better, it was a simply jammed (possibly with disbelief).

Although yours seems to be stuck on repeat.:p:p:p

Oh. My. God. So then *what* does 'hearsay' and 'getting away from the point' have to do with anything? This thread is descending into the nuttier and more bizarre, and I may have to put on my cracked hat to be able to follow the logic soon.....

time to take your cracked hat off

time to take your cracked hat off

You're done so? Somehow I don't think so, off you go.

• Advertisement

no

In any case I dont think anyone else wants to talk with you here

maybe there is ??

possibly you might have a second login account ??

In any case I dont think anyone else wants to talk with you here

maybe there is ??

possibly you might have a second login account ??

No idea, yet again, what you're on about. You're talking to me aren't you? No wait, you're talking at me.

'off you go' means go ahead. I have no authority to tell you to go away ;)

ya thats it, first the racist one now complain about being bullied

typical

• Advertisement

Shall we leave it at that then? I obviously have no clue what you are talking about *at all* and we are both off topic.

sounds good, bad roads here and will have to be up early in the morning

monday mornings

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

I wouldnt get in a taxi if the driver was nigerian even if he offered it to me for free.

Hate It Or Love It.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Neither, just not suprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

On topic please.
    The topic is the content of the report.
    Here, look:
    Wompa1 wrote: »
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/16382-report-finds-widespread-racism-city-taxi-industry

If they have a no hiring policy who is hiring African drivers? Last Thursday night I was walking down by Cross street. There was a line of taxis from the top of the rank spanning all the way back to Bridge Mills and seemed to have two white drivers.

Also I didn't think there was a rule for taking the first taxi, surely people have the right to pick their taxi..

Points we've established:
    1. Taxi 'companies' don't hire drivers. It's more of a syndicate operation where members rent the radio off the basestation and are given jobs from the dispatcher.
    2. You are free to choose whichever taxi you like.
    3. Some people are fierce small-minded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Just as a FYI, and not that I'm in any way fond of the word, but white taxi drivers in Galway call the black ones "blaxis".
    And they phone fake call outs to them too.
    Heard first hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Just as a FYI, and not that I'm in any way fond of the word, but white taxi drivers in Galway call the black ones "blaxis".
    Heard first hand.
    :pac: That is the funniest thing ive heard all week

I live in Galway, I have never heard that one before

I live in Galway, I have never heard that one before
    Are you a taxi driver? It was one who told me this, and I never heard it anywhere else myself.

No, next time I am in taxi I will ask

new to me

• Advertisement

Wow, that'd be a bit of an awkward question!
    "Excuse me Mr White Taxi driver, what phrase do you use to refer to African drivers?":eek:

When ya have a few pints on, can ask anything

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

Hi, you should use only reputable companies ie 561111 or 585858, otherwise you may as well hitch a lift home! you can get 2 euro discount cards for both of the above therefore cancelling out the call out fee! be safe

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Heard first hand.
    I heard that Blacula, Jefferson Twilight and Black Dynamite are driving taxis around the town too.

crally wrote: »
    Hi, you should use only reputable companies ie 561111 or 585858, otherwise you may as well hitch a lift home! you can get 2 euro discount cards for both of the above therefore cancelling out the call out fee! be safe

There's the odd bad seed everywhere, as an earlier poster mentioned, and as a friend of mine experienced too. Reputable companies, like all employers, cannot know the future behaviour of all their employees.

Hackney companies can be good, so you can get to know all the drivers on more of a one on one basis. The one I often use has white, black, brown etc drivers (mainly white, but they - the company - don't discriminate it seems). Hackneys can have a wide range of car standards, but 90% they send us are grand.

Ironically, while this thread was up, I got a cab with the driver of one of the dirtiest cars. He ranted on the whole journey about politics, then finally about 'coloureds' being such cr*ap drivers. I asked him to let me out at that point (2 mins from my destination - lucky for me:D), and he won't be getting our business again. I've let the company know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GetThatDownYa

WetDaddy wrote: »

Similarly, I have of course heard horror stories of people having bad experiences in taxis and blaming it on "black drivers not knowing where they're going / screwing me out of money", etc. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. But if everyone made their decisions based on this, then nobody would ever get in a taxi with a *white* driver either... Remember all those sexual assault / rape accusations brought against taxi drivers over the past 20 years? Almost exclusively white drivers.

I agree. I used to think I was not racist myself but when I noticed how sometime in the past I had only bothered to recall my negative experiences with black taxi drivers: remembering when a black taxi driver charged me a lot or the one time that a black driver appeared to display poor ability in driving his vehicle. These were the experiences I'd relate to others. One day however thought about it. I think it was inspired by the cheapest taxi fare I ever had to pay to get home. An african taxi driver charged me nearly half the price of most other taxi's one night. I started then to think about all the times I had to pay exorbitant fares to the white taxi drivers as well. Also one time me and my friend got driven by one white irish taxi driver reeking of drink to the wrong place - a mistake which he charged us for ontop of the actual fare to get us to the right place. The fact of the matter is I'd forgotten those transgressions because the taxi drivers were white and almost certainly for each time a black taxi driver seemed to charge me a lot at least two white taxi drivers have done the same.

I had another bad experience recently though with a black taxi driver in Dublin who got completely lost and then charged me for his pretty large and expensive mistake but he was just an a**hole or a moron. The same thing happened me before with a taxi driver but he was decent enough to turn off the meter.

So there you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GetThatDownYa

Also as regards the racism of white taxi drivers on that same night in Dublin - Arcade Fire night- a friend of mine got a taxi to the concert and immediately upon sitting next to the taxi driver he said to him "Thank God your not black" (Yes it appears my friend is racist sigh) but the taxi driver laughed his ass off and the two of em got on great - he got a cheap fare out of it too. Anyway this is just one taxi driver and anecdotal evidence at best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭LawnMower Man

Well to be honest I would tend to agree with him about them being crap drivers.

They often pull out without indicating and one black ignorant driver crashed into my wife 4 years ago, she was 8 months pregnant and my 1 year old son was also in the car (He was not a Taxi Driver but was a black driver) and he was obviously at fault yet first thing he asked my wife wasnt are you ok, considering my son was screaming and my wife was hurt in the car but roared in the window at her asking does she admit liability? and I will sue you!

By the time I got to the scene there was a crowd of colored people there including Black Taxi Drivers and Gardai who told me yes he was at fault and to exchange details with him, that afternoon he rings my wife roaring down the phone at her that hes going to sue and then rings my wifes insurance company and tell them that she accepted liability....

I mean she could have lost the baby and just goes to show how ignorant some of these black people are.

He was found 100% at Fault in the end.

If I had my way he would be on the next boat back to Nigeria.

I think its there way to roar at people as you can see two of them shouting at each other and its just a normal conversation to them.

Another time a Black driver crashed into my Dads car and ran away leaving his uninsured car behind him.

What I would really like to know is how Black Taxi drivers pass the exam as they are meant to have a knowledge of the local area? I am pretty sure they dont know alot of the housing estates that have Irish names.

How come so many them disappear when the regulator comes on the rank?
    Is it because so many of them get Taxi insurance on a montly basis from an insurance company and cancel it after the first month and keep the insurance disc?

Also I dont know about anyone else but anytime Ive being really stuck and used a Black Taxi Driver I could not tell from the photo ID displayed if its the person driving or not.

Also I dont know about anyone else but anytime Ive being really stuck and used a Black Taxi Driver I could not tell from the photo ID displayed if its the person driving or not.

Specsavers have fairly frequent deals, but Vision Express has a very fast service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They often pull out without indicating and one black ignorant driver crashed into my wife 4 years ago, she was 8 months pregnant and my 1 year old son was also in the car (He was not a Taxi Driver but was a black driver) and he was obviously at fault yet first thing he asked my wife wasnt are you ok, considering my son was screaming and my wife was hurt in the car but roared in the window at her asking does she admit liability? and I will sue you!

By the time I got to the scene there was a crowd of colored people there including Black Taxi Drivers and Gardai who told me yes he was at fault and to exchange details with him, that afternoon he rings my wife roaring down the phone at her that hes going to sue and then rings my wifes insurance company and tell them that she accepted liability....

I'm sorry your wife had such a traumatic experience with that guy but tbh it could just as likely been any asshole cabbie.
    I mean she could have lost the baby and just goes to show how ignorant some of these black people are.

If I had my way he would be on the next boat back to Nigeria.
    Banned for racism.
    I think its there way to roar at people as you can see two of them shouting at each other and its just a normal conversation to them.
    Actually, in many African cultures it's impolite to speak softly or whisper as others may think you're talking/gossiping about them. Therefore it's encouraged to speak so other can hear what you are saying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement