Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi company racism report

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I don't agree with anyone being abused, and I commend anybody sticking up for the little guy.

Times are tough for everyone trying to earn a living.
    I choose to give my business, and hard earned cash, to those I feel are closer related to me and the City I live in, those who I share more of a common history with.

I don't care what others choose to call this, I call it looking after your own first.

If I was a billionaire I'd gladly feed the world, but I'am not, so with the bit of money I have, I'll try and keep it invested in Ireland and its people, my people.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

WetDaddy wrote: »
    Racial profiling is a disgusting thing and it's a disgusting thing to do to a person's face (by getting out of their taxi or refusing it because of their race).

Tell that to the lady who was asked "if she ever had a black man". I know she isn't a racist but she won't be taking any African driven taxis again. She is a racist to you....to me she's practicing self preservation. Sure there are Irish taxi drivers who shouldn't be driving a taxi and loads of them. It's the same old argument. But this baloney of bringing affirmative action to the taxi industry - which is racist by it's very nature - is ridiculous. And once more for good measure: Taxi companies DO NOT hire taxi drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

True story.
    I was only in one Galway taxi ever where the driver was not wearing shoes or socks.
    The driver was not Fred Flintstone, let's put it that way..........

Not for me, thank you very much.
    However I believe foot fetishists should discriminate against the white taxi drivers if they want to get their fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MrChavcore

I'm a white South African and I'm yet to have a bad experience here in Dublin in so far as getting into a black persons taxi. Generally I kind of prefer it because we waffle on about Africa, which is a continent I'm still deeply passionate about. I think that all these guys truely want, is to be treated equally. One of my best friends is from the States and refuses to get into a taxi with a black driver... that just doesnt rub with me. These generalisations that people make through racial profiling are a bit draconion as far as I'm concerned. I've had an Irish driver deliberately take me a longer route home to make a few extra bucks.. I can guarantee you he didn't get the few extra. It all depends on the individual, not the race...
    Times are tough for everyone trying to earn a living. I choose to give my business, and hard earned cash, to those I feel are closer related to me and the City I live in, those who I share more of a common history with.

I don't care what others choose to call this, I call it looking after your own first.

What a weak response! I find it hard to swallow this kind of mentality by a lot of the Irish. It was that mentality from the British that supressed the Irish for so long! It was also that mentality in places like the States, Australia and UK (for which there are large Irish populations) that Irish people were treated as bottom feeders in society. At least these people come into Ireland and try to make an honest living... which is more than I can say for certain sections of Irish society that would rather sit on their arse and take their dole money!

MrChavcore wrote: »
    At least these people come into Ireland and try to make an honest living... which is more than I can say for certain sections of Irish society that would rather sit on their arse and take their dole money!

Like this guy at 2:16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I await the day that the Dept of Justice conducts nationwide spot checks of all taxi drivers to ascertain how many of them actually have the right to work in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MrChavcore

Oh wow! An isolated case! Thats like saying that because Charles Manson had a beard and was white that all white guys with beards are cult leaders and serial killers! Do you honestly believe Irish people don't try and scam the welfare system too!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

I don't agree with anyone being abused, and I commend anybody sticking up for the little guy.

Times are tough for everyone trying to earn a living.
    I choose to give my business, and hard earned cash, to those I feel are closer related to me and the City I live in, those who I share more of a common history with.

If I was a billionaire I'd gladly feed the world, but I'am not, so with the bit of money I have, I'll try and keep it invested in Ireland and its people, my people.

What about all Irish living in Australia and USA, are they still "your people" or not ? :pac:

What a weak response! I find it hard to swallow this kind of mentality by a lot of the Irish. It was that mentality from the British that supressed the Irish for so long!

Are you referring to the British mentality in occupied Ireland, up to Irish independence?

Come on, you're not seriously trying to equate Britain's despicable presence in Ireland as a colonial power with my choosing to 'buy local'.

It was also that mentality in places like the States, Australia and UK (for which there are large Irish populations) that Irish people were treated as bottom feeders in society. At least these people come into Ireland and try to make an honest living... which is more than I can say for certain sections of Irish society that would rather sit on their arse and take their dole money!

I don't get what your trying to say here?. If a country has limited resources, as I myself do, how am I, or '..a lot of the Irish..' guilty of anything other than kinship when I choose to give those limited resources to those that I feel a close familiar bond towards, namely my fellow country men or women.

I wouldn't expect, for example, the South African state or people to look after the health and wellbeing of Irish people living in SA ahead of their own Nationals.

softmee wrote: »
    What about all Irish living in Australia and USA, are they still "your people" or not ? :pac:

How do you mean?

• Advertisement

Oh wow! An isolated case! Thats like saying that because Charles Manson had a beard and was white that all white guys with beards are cult leaders and serial killers! Do you honestly believe Irish people don't try and scam the welfare system too!?

lol @ an isolated case - thanks for the laugh :D Sure the Irish scam the welfare system....I didn't say they don't. But if you don't think asylum seekers target Ireland 'cause we're a soft touch then I want what your having please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

Non-nationals whatever creed or colour cant seem to catch a break in Ireland. If they try to earn a decent living by working and paying taxes they are accused of "taking all our jobs" and if they dont work they are accused of "sponging off the state".

Seems like a no win situation to me...

As for taxis, i rarely get them, but if i ever get one i dont care as to the colour of the skin of the driver or to his nationality just as long as i aint ripped off for the trip and he gets me there in one piece

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

bele_and_lokai_star_trek-320x240.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

the keen edge makes a good point. I see nothing wrong with looking after "your own", sure aren't we always encouragd to "buy Irish" when it comes to food and other goods, so why not taxis? It's no different to choosing a local shop ahead of the big Tesco or whatever.

My condemnation in this thread is aimed at the abuse that a lot of black taxi drivers receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

WetDaddy wrote: »
    I hate to break the news to you, but they *are* being racist in such a case. 100% unmitigated racism. They're electing to not get into a taxi because the driver is black because, once before, they had a bad experience with a driver who also happened to be black. It's entirely based on them looking in the taxi and seeing a driver with brown skin. If that's not racism in your books pal, I don't know what your definition is.

It should also be noted that not all black taxi drivers are African. Yes, I agree that by statistics there's a very high chance that, in Ireland at the moment, a black person will be from Africa. That being said, don't go about assuming because you see a black driver that they're from Africa. That's misinformed and close-minded.

Similarly, I have of course heard horror stories of people having bad experiences in taxis and blaming it on "black drivers not knowing where they're going / screwing me out of money", etc. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. But if everyone made their decisions based on this, then nobody would ever get in a taxi with a *white* driver either... Remember all those sexual assault / rape accusations brought against taxi drivers over the past 20 years? Almost exclusively white drivers.

Racial profiling is a disgusting thing and it's a disgusting thing to do to a person's face (by getting out of their taxi or refusing it because of their race).

we are all racist to a certain extent. many people have indeed had negative experiences with blacks, usually nigerians, who are poorly regarded even in africa.
    a lot of women are fearful of getting into a cab alone with a black driver.
    i myself am fearful of getting into a cab with an Irish driver who is going to talk mundane rubbish for the duration of the journey

Veiled racism is no more acceptable than blatant discrimination.

why are there no pakistanis or chinese behind the bars of galway pubs. thats racist.
    there should also be a certain quota of foreigners teaching Irish.

How do you mean?

I mean - all Irish emigrants in the World (and there is few out there) could here the same thing somewhere else.. "our country, our people, bla bla "
    Why people still think that way! To me people are :good/bad, stupid/wise. Can you not overcome this ksenofobic kind of thinking?
    I am polish -i there is no doubt i would be more happy to live anywhere in the world or in Poland between nice, inteligent Nigerians rather then between polish or irish idiots.
    There are idiots in every country!
    I use taxi service a lot and yes few times black mans car was dirty ,few times they where not that nice or something, but this is still nothing worse then what i've experienced from irish taxi driver (one extra rude - between many nice ones).
    I know few people who actually are trying to avoid black drivers and i dont tolarate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The taxi service in Ireland is either very good or completely disasterous, and that goes for both a section of the Irish and non-Irish drivers.

My experiences in other cities such as Lisbon,London,Munich,Bangkok, and Hong Kong would suggest that they do it better.

And yes, if I do see a non national driver I do not get in. My choice.

ebbsy wrote: »

And yes, if I do see a non national driver I do not get in.

I didnt know it is so bad. Middle Ages! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

To be honest what do you expect in a country where being from another county makes you a forigner! The term "blow in" has an underlying vein of them vs us.

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »
    we are all racist to a certain extent. many people have indeed had negative experiences with blacks, usually nigerians, who are poorly regarded even in africa.
    a lot of women are fearful of getting into a cab alone with a black driver.
    i myself am fearful of getting into a cab with an Irish driver who is going to talk mundane rubbish for the duration of the journey
    Don't try and justify your disgusting attitude by projecting it on everyone, or anyone else.
    why are there no pakistanis or chinese behind the bars of galway pubs. thats racist.
    No dear, no it isn't :rolleyes: if it emerged that there have been several chinese or pakistanis applying for said positions, then it would be.
    there should also be a certain quota of foreigners teaching Irish
    Actually that would be, in itself, descrimantory, although I suspect an explanation would be wasted on you.

personal preference. nothing wrong with that.

by the way there are some women out there who prefer female taxi drivers,sexist witches.

I mean - all Irish emigrants in the World (and there is few out there) could here the same thing somewhere else.. "our country, our people, bla bla "
    Why people still think that way! To me people are :good/bad, stupid/wise. Can you not overcome this ksenofobic kind of thinking?
    I am polish -i there is no doubt i would be more happy to live anywhere in the world or in Poland between nice, inteligent Nigerians rather then between polish or irish idiots.
    There are idiots in every country!
    I use taxi service a lot and yes few times black mans car was dirty ,few times they where not that nice or something, but this is still nothing worse then what i've experienced from irish taxi driver (one extra rude - between many nice ones).
    I know few people who actually are trying to avoid black drivers and i dont tolarate it.

i would say ye love black taxi drivers back in poland

Don't try and justify your disgusting attitude by projecting it on everyone, or anyone else.

No dear, no it isn't :rolleyes: if it emerged that there have been several chinese or pakistanis applying for said positions, then it would be.

i am entitled to my opinion. there is nothing disgusting about it. if you and your ilk consider that racist, then so be it.

my experience of black cabbies, well actually Nigerians, is largely negative. i do not want to listen to jungle music when i have hired the taxi. it is irritating

i will not take the first taxi in the rank if i do not lie the appearance of the driver and am not worried about what people think.

i would say ye love black taxi drivers back in poland

I would say there is even more racism in Poland, but it has nothing to do with me and i was hoping things are better here, but obviously they are not.
    Well - a little bit better, but from what i see here its still middle ages...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

i am entitled to my opinion. there is nothing disgusting about it. if you and your ilk consider that racist, then so be it.

my experience of black cabbies, well actually Nigerians, is largely negative. i do not want to listen to jungle music when i have hired the taxi. it is irritating

i will not take the first taxi in the rank if i do not lie the appearance of the driver and am not worried about what people think.

Hear Hear. And Im not a GPS for those guys who d'ont know where they are going either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

My story involves a taxi driver of African origin.

I got into a taxi last night on the eyre sq rank, told the driver my destination, bohermore, and he refused to take me.

needless to say I took his plate number and will be complaining to the taxi regulator.

i am entitled to my opinion. there is nothing disgusting about it.
    You are, and there is.
    i do not want to listen to jungle music when i have hired the taxi. it is irritating
    I'd say you haven't a clue what Jungle music even is. It started out in Bristol :pac:

I have had a very bad experience ones with irish taxi driver -it was a seriouse insult for no reason - and it doesnt mean i will be asking every taxi driver whats his nationality is because of that one idiot!
    Open your heads a little bit and stop to generalize, because thats not fair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

I always jump in a "Galway Taxis" as this company (or whatever they are) always send a taxi out to me if I call them at any hour of the morning.

Its down to brand loyalty in a way. 99% of the times i've used "Galway Taxis" its been a very good service, so thats why I keep going back to them.

If I get in a taxi thats not part of one of the groups, then the groups will disappear and it will be a nightmare getting a taxi at odd hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement