Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi company racism report

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

If I eat a burger in a chipper and it's horrible will you I go back? No.

Not an appropriate analogy. Racism (or at least discrimination, which is probably more accurate) would be more like having a bad burger and then boycotting all chippers or every fast food joint run by people called McDonagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Racist against who, which race? Do you mean Nigeria ?When it comes to Nigeria, they have alot of problems with corruption. I know the government is trying to stop it. Do you think people are racist against Nigerians ?

Nigeria has a bad reputation for phrases such as “Most corrupt country in the world”, “kidnappings” “tribal conflicts”, “HIV pandemic” “hotbed for malaria”

http://www.eilireland.org/community/members/maevegalvin/blog/23/september/2010/my-nigerian-experience

If you are from Nigeria, people will all know of the African Prince who wants to take thousands off them. I have got hundreds of those emails. That reputation will follow you, even if you completly innocent

If you take B&H in New York, they employ only Jews. Jews often complain of discrimination. They are doing it themselves in this case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I choose my taxi in the rank on the basis of how decent their car is and how trustworthy the driver looks; regardless of their skin colour. I also actively avoid getting a taxi with one of the larger companies as I had a very bad and scary experience with one of their drivers years ago. I use Galway taxis a lot, but again that is purely down to the good service they provide regardless of the time of day or night. As long as I get from a to b safely and at a reasonable price, and the taxi shows up when ordered Then that's all of the boxes ticked for me as far as I'm concerned:)

I choose my taxi in the rank on the basis of how decent their car is and how trustworthy the driver looks; regardless of their skin colour. I also actively avoid getting a taxi with one of the larger companies as I had a very bad and scary experience with one of their drivers years ago. I use Galway taxis a lot, but again that is purely down to the good service they provide regardless of the time of day or night. As long as I get from a to b safely and at a reasonable price, and the taxi shows up when ordered Then that's all of the boxes ticked for me as far as I'm concerned

Would you skip a taxi if it was a taxi from one of the larger companies and if it was the first/lead taxi in the taxi rank and use a different taxi in the taxi rank?

What scary experience did you have, did you make a complaint ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

mbiking123 wrote: »
    Would you skip a taxi if it was a taxi from one of the larger companies and if it was the first/lead taxi in the taxi rank and use a different taxi in the taxi rank?

What scary experience did you have, did you make a complaint ?

I skip all and every taxi from the company in question since the incident, and have done for years; regardless of the circumstance. I will NEVER use one of this company's taxis again. And that's all I have to say on the matter. I'm certainly not going into any more detail about it on a public forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It is serious, I'm vegetarian for years and ever since that News report last year about the monkeys legs being smuggled in from Nigeria, I stopped getting Black Taxi drivers as I just think about the poor little monkeys getting there legs chopped off and posted over here, just stuck in my mind I suppose, same as the koreans eating dogs. Then again It doesnt bother me Irish people eating turkeys or Irish fare, Just I think Monkeys and Dogs have a bit of personality but thats just my view but I dont consider it racist.

Well Jaysus, if lack of personality = a good reason to be eaten, then a lot of people on here are bound to have a few bites gone out of them on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

There are no rules to which taxi you must take.
    Ok, no rules. I'm with you.
    I always walk the line and pick the first one with a caucasion person driving.
    Ah no, you just said no rules.
    So that's your rule with which you base your selection of taxi. Fine. Justify it.
    I'm not a rascist,
    But that requires not descriminating based on race ie. caucasian.
    So failysackhairs on that Ted, it won't fly. Rule invalid. Try again.
    just tired of being ripped off by the negro taxi drivers in my town.
    So you have had bad experiences. Haven't we all?
    Some people are awful eejits alright though, but I suppose the world needs the odd eejit here and there to remind us why we mustn't be eejits.
    Care to elaborate? Relate a story? Perhaps providing a few specific details?
    Its a well known fact they charge at least 2 to 3 euro more per run
    Why, you slyboots you! :pac:

No, you'd rather act the maggot and make a baseless statement rather than confront your own glaring hypocrisy.

Infraction issued to rorymcgrory for acting the eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

I generally pick the taxi that's at the top of the rank, regardless of who's behind the wheel, because they've waited their turn and it's only fair.

But, since people are talking about experiences - I've generally had more enjoyable journeys with non-Irish taxi drivers.

I find that a lot of the Irish taxi drivers are negative, that they can go off on racist tangents or start ranting and raving about politicians and the economy. On the other hand, I got into a minicab driven by an African chap one night. He had decked the thing out to be like a disco, with lights and stuff. Kinda gave added value to the fare, imo!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

po0k wrote: »
    Ok, no rules. I'm with you.

Ah no, you just said no rules.
    There's no contradiction there.
    He says there's no rules and then tells you what he does. His personal choice doesn't contradict the fact that there a no laws governing which taxi someone picks.
    Yeah, he's a racist, but at least he's consistent!

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    There's no contradiction there.
    He says there's no rules and then tells you what he does. His personal choice doesn't contradict the fact that there a no laws governing which taxi someone picks.
    Yeah, he's a racist, but at least he's consistent!

*sigh*
    • rorymcgrory's 'personal choice' contradicts his claim that he doesn't [negatively in this context] discriminate by race.
    • Caucasian is a race.
    • rorymcgrory discriminates when choosing a taxi based on the driver being caucasian.
    • rorymcrory discriminates on race.
    What made it negative discrimination, and therefore racist, was his claim to have been ripped off by a racial group of drivers (I would consider 'negro' to be racial in the context of his post).
    This was followed up by generalised and false statement "It's a well known fact [that the same racial group] charge at least 2 to 3 euro more per run [than....?]".

*needle* *needle* *poke* *poke* *needle*

• Advertisement

Interesting point there, I can remember before taxi deregulation there was not enough taxi's. I can remeber in Dublin being refused a taxi lots of times. I had consumed alcohol but was not drunk. I would look for a taxi and was asked where I was going. Then they say I am only going to the airport. My sister told me this was the way they say no I dont want your business. They were only accepting women. My sister told me this was said to guys just before them and they walked away, then the girls hoped in the taxi and went home.

Always got this excuse of only going to airport perhaps others can remember this excuse

We never complained of them being sexist, this was discrimination-they favoured women

If a black person refused to get into a taxi driven by a white man would that be racist ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

po0k wrote: »
    *sigh*
    • rorymcgrory's 'personal choice' contradicts his claim that he doesn't [negatively in this context] discriminate by race.
    • Caucasian is a race.
    • rorymcgrory discriminates when choosing a taxi based on the driver being caucasian.
    • rorymcrory discriminates on race.
    What made it negative discrimination, and therefore racist, was his claim to have been ripped off by a racial group of drivers (I would consider 'negro' to be racial in the context of his post).
    This was followed up by generalised and false statement "It's a well known fact [that the same racial group] charge at least 2 to 3 euro more per run [than....?]".

*needle* *needle* *poke* *poke* *needle*

How is this rant about him being a racist (which I already said was the case) in any way connected to my post you quoted about whether there were "rules" covering which taxi a person has to pick?
    Oh, it isn't. *Sigh* right back at you.
    We all like to have a good go at racists, but try to read the post before going off on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

There is the case of african not having tax/insurance http://taxieire.lefora.com/2010/08/18/taxi-driver-from-nigeria-dokiwari-kobam-had-fake-t/ . How come these people get a PSV licence. I know more regulations are coming into force so perhaps this wont happen in the future again. No matter what nationality they are. Lots and lots of black guys driving taxi's in Galway. I heard big 'O' taxi's work on a system of all drivers have a share in business[/QUOTE]

Good point there. This would not happen in London.

If a black person refused to get into a taxi driven by a white man would that be racist ?

If a black person refused to trust any White cabbie based on a negative individual, yes, I would consider it a racist choice.

Maybe they read that article about Scottish people disembowelling sheep, and stuffing their stomachs with spiced breadcrumbs and eating it at special occasions, or about Irish peope cutting the feet off pigs in parts of rural Ireland, and serving them in jars of vinegar in pubs, or maybe Spanish people slowiny goring a bull to death with knives as people cheer, or English hunting baby foxes with blood-thirsty dogs (foxes are clever, supposed to have a bit of personality, right?). They are all White - Wouldn't want to get into a car with
    any of them if you're a vegetarian of any standing, never mind buy a product
    from their country!:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Vegetarians shouldn't need taxis anyway. They should be used to pull along wagons and carts.

Eat like a horse, get treated like one.

I'm half veggie, can I use a skateboard? ;)

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    How is this rant about him being a racist (which I already said was the case) in any way connected to my post you quoted about whether there were "rules" covering which taxi a person has to pick?
    Oh, it isn't. *Sigh* right back at you.
    We all like to have a good go at racists, but try to read the post before going off on one.
    My two 'rules' comments were a lead-up to the later lines to establish that his comment was a falsehood.
    The law is often interpreted by folk and used to inform their attitudes, choices and actions.
    While everyone is free to choose, it is only right that people will at least make an informed decision.
    rorymcgrory is spreading disinformation, I seek to show him the error of his ways and tried to use derisory humour to add some levity.

I replied to your post because he's not consistent and I felt you misunderstood the point I was trying to make by focusing on the letter of the law instead of the intent.

Can we please keep this on-topic?

Question: Is this all you need to start a taxi syndicate? A radio license, radio basestation, dispatcher, phone lines, radios for syndicate members and advertising?
    If so, when will we see more organized taxi syndicates increasing competition?

Question: What about taxi drivers going outside their cachement area? Are they free to operate in any town/city/area in the country or only within the jurisdiction of the plate-issuer?

Maybe they read that article about Scottish people disembowelling sheep, and stuffing their stomachs with spiced breadcrumbs and eating it at special occasions, or about Irish peope cutting the feet off pigs in parts of rural Ireland, and serving them in jars of vinegar in pubs, or maybe Spanish people slowiny goring a bull to death with knives as people cheer, or English hunting baby foxes with blood-thirsty dogs (foxes are clever, supposed to have a bit of personality, right?). They are all White - Wouldn't want to get into a car with
    any of them if you're a vegetarian of any standing, never mind buy a product
    from their country!

we dont eat monkeys or bush meat, dont eat whale meat and we also dont eat other humans. We could be alot worse than just eating pig meat. By the way I know someone with pigs and their are strict regulations with their slaughter, your not allowed to do it yourself

If a black person refused to trust any White cabbie based on a negative individual, yes, I would consider it a racist choice.

I believe if he would not use a taxi with a white cabbie it is racist full stop, never mind the trust

I believe if he would not use a taxi with a white cabbie it is racist full stop, never mind the trust

I'm not disagreeing with you on that, I just would assume he/she would base the decision on something *such as* lack of trust.

• Advertisement

If a white person refuses to get into a taxi with a black driver if they dont like black people - they are racist

Vice-versa - Black person wont get into a taxi driven by a white person because he /she is white - they are racist

decision is based on race hence the name racist

This goes further than skin colour, as some races have same skin colour

So often certain people play the 'race' card

It goes both ways

we dont eat monkeys or bush meat, dont eat whale meat and we also dont eat other humans. We could be alot worse than just eating pig meat. By the way I know someone with pigs and their are strict regulations with their slaughter, your not allowed to do it yourself

I eat fish but not meat myself. Honestly though,I have WAY more respect for those who raise or hunt their food, and are aware of it's origins, rather than those who rant about the *intelligent* animals having a right to live, while happy to leg it down to centra and buy a box of burgers with excessive packaging, and possibly flown in from another country.

Endangered species are a whole other conversation. Much of the fish we consume is reaching that point. But this is going off topic, the fact that we started off connecting ALL black taxi drivers with eating monkey limbs is akin something from a comedy with Alf Garnett or Mr Steptoe.

If a white person refuses to get into a taxi with a black driver if they dont like black people - they are racist

Vice-versa - Black person wont get into a taxi driven by a white person because he /she is white - they are racist

decision is based on race hence the name racist

This goes further than skin colour, as some races have same skin colour

So often certain people play the 'race' card

It goes both ways

I'm not sure what your point is?

Endangered species are a whole other conversation. Much of the fish we consume is reaching that point. But this is going off topic, the fact that we started off connecting ALL black taxi drivers with eating monkey limbs is akin something from a comedy with Alf Garnett or Mr Steptoe

Tut tut I never said that, I also mentioned whale meat. You brought up the whole meat subject not me. I just showing we are far from the worst offenders

back to the race card

I'm not sure what your point is?

people can be racist towards white people too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

people can be racist towards white people too

Slow-Clap.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

It doesn't bother me getting into a cab with either driver. One thing I have noticed is that from my experience many of the black drivers drive some pretty old cars in comparison to the white drivers. Since I am paying I would like the nicest most comfortable car possible.

However every time I have tried to get in a rank taxi that is not at the head of the queue the driver has informed me politely to use the first taxi. So now I just hop in the first one :)

http://www.taxiregulator.ie/industry-FAQs.html

getting into old taxi cars will be changing as far as I know

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Taken from the Taxi Regulators website:

Am I entitled to choose any taxi at a rank?
    Yes, as a consumer your can choose whichever taxi you would like to travel in.

As a taxi driver I have often had a customer jump in after passing out an African driver. 90% of the time the conversation starts with "I'm not racist - but......." and then they recall a journey they took with an African driver which was a nightmare or farcical in some way. Are they racist? No. They chose the African driver initially and were let down by the driver. Now they choose Irish taxis. If I eat a burger in a chipper and it's horrible will you I go back? No. Having said that I've gotten some shockingly racist people that would blow your mind. Not that many but they're out there. The amount of scammers out there driving taxis is shocking to say the least - choose your taxis carefully and don't be afraid of having the race card pulled on you.
    That analogy doesnt hold.

Better would be "If I got a dodgy pint, would I never drink again?".... I'm guessing you would realise that not all pubs serve bad pints and that maybe the pub you went to was dodgy but thats no reason to tar all pubs with the same brush.

DeV.

• Advertisement

Tut tut I never said that, I also mentioned whale meat. You brought up the whole meat subject not me. I just showing we are far from the worst offenders

back to the race card

I didn't bring up the meat thing, an earlier poster did. 'We' may not eat whales but we eat creatures that others may not, or are not ecologically sustainable.

Absolutely black people can be racist toward white people, I never disagreed with you on that point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement