Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather in the WEST?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Forecast for 7am: (HIRLAM)

137848.jpg

dark blue = snow risk.

Latest HIRLAM has the greatest risk of snowfall tomorrow morning over North Connacht, Donegal, Roscommon and east Galway. Of course it won't pan out exactly like that but these areas seem to be most at risk a couple of hours of snow as this weak front passes over.

Just to add, only talking about the western region there, of course the midlands have a much greater chance of seeing some of the white stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Ok RTE NEWS said People in Donegal to stay indoors because they are expecting heavy snow fall , and then Jean Byrne says it will be rain and sleet on the coasts and will turn to snow in the midlands.
    This sums up Irelands Forecast system for me lol.
    Pure Confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Pangea wrote: »
    Ok RTE NEWS said People in Donegal to stay indoors because they are expecting heavy snow fall , and then Jean Byrne says it will be rain and sleet on the coasts and will turn to snow in the midlands.
    This sums up Irelands Forecast system for me lol.
    Pure Confusing.

Liked the Government!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Forecast for 7am: (HIRLAM)

137848.jpg

dark blue = snow risk.

Latest HIRLAM has the greatest risk of snowfall tomorrow morning over North Connacht, Donegal, Roscommon and east Galway. Of course it won't pan out exactly like that but these areas seem to be most at risk a couple of hours of snow as this weak front passes over.

I think i can claim to be inside that snow risk area with you DE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Liked the Government!!!

Nah, not that bad and at least, ME, RTE and Jean are trying to tell the truth!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Ok can anyone tell me whats the best dew point or humdity?
    What should it be for snow to fall?

all you need to know is here:
    http://www.irelandsweather.com/forum/weather-faq/a-guide-on-how-to-forecast-snow-in-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but how about the mid-west > clare, tipp, limerick any sneactha?

I think i can claim to be inside that snow risk area with you DE.

Let's hope so Redsteve. I remember Nacho saying the other day that the best snowfalls come unexpected. He was proved right in this just the other day when I woke up to an unexpected top up of 2 inches! Let's hope for another similar surprised tomorrow morning! I just hope we dont end up getting that ****ty ice rain like last christmas. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Temps really rising now, was -7c about an hour ago, now -2.8c, it seems to be cloudy here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Oooh I hope east Galway gets a dusting! I hope I'm not too near the coast :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

snaps wrote: »
    Temps really rising now, was -7c about an hour ago, now -2.8c, it seems to be cloudy here now.

Is that good or bad, I mean does that mean snow is more likely??
    Sorry, no clue when it comes to these things....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Ahem. Me right on the coast do I need an umbrella ? Will the M4 buoy be any guidance to me?

Let's hope so Redsteve. I remember Nacho saying the other day that the best snowfalls come unexpected. He was proved right in this just the other day when I woke up to an unexpected top up of 2 inches! Let's hope for another similar surprised tomorrow morning! I just hope we dont end up getting that ****ty ice rain like last christmas. :(

well i'm sill fearful that's exactly what will happen. as we've seen so often with breakdown scenarios the milder upper air gets established a lot quicker than anticipated. the best i'm hoping for is a brief period of snow before it turns back to rain. also it would seem from the 9:30 pm forecast that a sneaky second front crosses the country tomorrow night. I really hope it's not heavy and moves on quickly!
    As whatever about this front being all snow, that won't be. i know my negativity is probably annoying some people but it's due to the Atlantic spoiling the party so often in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

fryup wrote: »
    but how about the mid-west > clare, tipp, limerick any sneactha?

fugall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Yeah, Christmas morning trip to mass last year was an adventure to say the least.
    We still have alot of snow lying here from Tuesday morning, if we get freezing rain I can safely say I will not be leaving the house tomorrow.

Watching the front move in on yr.no they gives temps of 6 or 7 degrees as it passes, this is probably air temp though so the ground may still be freezing I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Clear as a bell, cold and starry -7.7C here in East Clare...

well i'm sill fearful that's exactly what will happen. as we've seen so often with breakdown scenarios the milder upper air gets established a lot quicker than anticipated. the best i'm hoping for is a brief period of snow before it turns back to rain. also it would seem from the 9:30 pm forecast that a sneaky second front crosses the country tomorrow night. I really hope it's not heavy and moves on quickly!
    As whatever about this front being all snow, that won't be. i know my negativity is probably annoying some people but it's due to the Atlantic spoiling the party so often in the past

Indeed Nacho. The ideal frontal snow for us in the midlands and west/Northwest would be for a vigorous front and low to approach from the SW. This would create a southeasterly wind would have a much longer land track over the frozen country. This would help to keep dewpoints much lower as there would be a much less maritime feed. Looking at the set up of tonight's front, it bares a stirking resemblence to the one that passed over last christmas day which hit sub-zero temps but still fell as rain. I hope some of us see some snow out of it, which is still more likely further away from the coast, but I'd much prefer the scenario that I described above for some serious snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Anyone in the Leenane, Delphi area?

Would be interesting to see what that precip on the radar is?

Or maybe that is inteference on the radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭mountainy man

-4.3 to -2.0 in under an hour tis quite a jump, no stars visable, feels positively balmy !:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

(gets wellies and umbrella ready)

Shrugs

Ah well. Sigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Clear sky here in Limerick too, fingers crossed for snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

where would I find dewpoints for whest listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

irish1967 wrote: »
    (gets wellies and umbrella ready)

Shrugs

Ah well. Sigh
    Cheer up
    Didnt really read the above posts but If i open the curtains in the morning and there is snow then nice one! If not then thats nothing new ,we are used to that all week now.
    You might be suprised though, plenty of snow lieing here still from saturday , I would be suprised if it was all washed away tonight!
    Time will tell....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

snow ghost wrote: »
    Anyone in the Leenane, Delphi area?

Would be interesting to see what that precip on the radar is?

Or maybe that is inteference on the radar?

interference, i recon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Midnight is the magic time folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

a shower? or is the front arriving head of schedule?

I am going to hold tight to the hopes that the shower that passed briefly was merely the advance warning party of specially selected, highly trained sleet, who are coming ahead to check the level of enthusiasm awaiting the main party ( read snowmageddon) in the west!

They will not go back disappointed!! I for one have left out a glass of milk and a plate of cookies.... lololololo

. think I might be loosing it a little here, only snowman snow can cure me.... all donations welcomed :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

anticipating the rain here soon in louisburgh co. mayo, dont stand a chance of seeing any snow, ice begining to melt now outside.:(

so irritating after seeing a week of insane snowfall on the other side of the country.

oh well lady Muck is on her way (the atlantic)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭zara100

hi just wanted to say lot more interesting chat here than the d4 d11 etc... hoping for snow :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

Crossing my fingers for snow in roscommon :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement