Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

MrVestek wrote: »
    Is that on a regular basis though? Have you actually talked to anybody like Ray and tried to haggle?

They are open to it these days.

Once a month I'd say, less and less regular the more the prices go up though.

Most recently was about 2-3 weeks ago. Really wanted to get a new SNES game, saw a Super Ghouls N Ghosts cart, would have bought it but the price was hovering a bit too close to a CIB copy on eBay.

Not really in to haggling to be honest, maybe if it was a market - not a high street shop. If you're going to sell stuff at haggled down prices then just set those prices to begin with.

Not trying to give the lads a hard time by the way, its just very frustrating to be a collector, know what things are worth and seeing them priced so much over that. Especially when you have it in your hands, want to buy it, WOULD buy it, but can't for the above mentioned reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I have to say I was never in there, the tales of overpriced games has scared me off up to now. I do understand the price of games whether they're purchased in The Rage, Ebay or from other sources has risen sharply over the last few years. A lot of people that post here have played such games from when they were first released. They don't play retro games as such, they're still playing these games, which in turn have now been labeled as retro.

I can't remember when there has been such a demand for the older games, there is no sign of it abating either. Never before has it been so popular to play these so called retro games. The biggest issue I would have with The Rage is the fact that they never seem to give prices with games they list on FB. It's 2014, why would you bother sending a message or go to the trouble of calling the shop to get a price. If you have something to sell what's the big secrecy about telling potential customers exactly how much you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

My new Dremel mini glue gun arrived today along with an old Edge mag. I want the smaller glue gun to do some fine glue work, but its clearly targeted at small girls :D Check out the included glitter sticks :pac:
    I dont mind, its perfect for the smaller jobs (it takes the 7mm sticks).

w2qbmb.jpgiy5nzL.jpg

Ei9PHG.jpg

Edit:
    Oops, seems I put his in the wrong thread :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Monkeykube wrote: »
    The biggest issue I would have with The Rage is the fact that they never seem to give prices with games they list on FB. It's 2014, why would you bother sending a message or go to the trouble of calling the shop to get a price. If you have something to sell what's the big secrecy about telling potential customers exactly how much you're looking for.

I totally agree with this, there are always comments saying "how much". Tell me ffs and I might bother getting to the shop to buy something.

Master of the Universe

Receive stock - price stock - announce stock and list it for sale.

These steps are not interchangeable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

eddhorse wrote: »
    I totally agree with this, there are always comments saying "how much". Tell me ffs and I might bother getting to the shop to buy something.

That really turned me off too, I have rarely gone to the shop over the past year, pity because they do have lovely stuff, but when the prices are the same as Ebay, why make the trip in when I can have it delivered for the same price?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They can't tell you how much on Facebook because if Facebook found out they could close their page for being a commercial shop and they'd have to pay a commercial license.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They can't tell you how much on Facebook because if Facebook found out they could close their page for being a commercial shop and they'd have to pay a commercial license.

All the more reason for them to set up a proper website with a a basket for sending stuff via post.

Master of the Universe

All the more reason for them to set up a proper website with a a basket for sending stuff via post.

It'd be really great wouldn't it? I think the owner lad just isn't bothered as the walk in shop is more a labour of love than anything else. Which is fair enough really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

My thoughts exactly. It's this kind of half assed approach to things that bothers me about them. If they had a website with an ordering facility, not only would many more people be likely to buy from them in Dublin...but the whole bloody country! But no, can't be spending money these days on things like interweb sites :rolleyes: The RAGE...if you're watching....get a bloody website together dudes! It's very cheap, & would overnight increase your coverage over the whole country. Yes it'll cost a little, yes it's hassle packing up stuff to post, but it pays off...that's why other shops, y'know, do it :)

• Advertisement

Taito F3 and Puzzle Bobble 4 in the marketplace for 35 euro :)
    It's had the region mod done on it, not that it's much of a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Myrddin wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. It's this kind of half assed approach to things that bothers me about them. If they had a website with an ordering facility, not only would many more people be likely to buy from them in Dublin...but the whole bloody country! But no, can't be spending money these days on things like interweb sites :rolleyes: The RAGE...if you're watching....get a bloody website together dudes! It's very cheap, & would overnight increase your coverage over the whole country. Yes it'll cost a little, yes it's hassle packing up stuff to post, but it pays off...that's why other shops, y'know, do it :)

I don't think they have the staff to cover it at the minute to be honest with you.

Just like working in an IT environment this standardised practice. is something that needs to be set up from the get go as it can go so far that to back track would be way too much work and too much disruption.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Myrddin wrote: »

Lol they really rub you up the wrong way with not having an online shop. :pac:

They're too small for that imo and I don't think it would be 'very cheap' to setup. You'd need some sort of real-time stock management system to keep track of your stock levels (stock coming in, stock ordered, dispatched, returns...) - you'd probably also need to start barcoding the stock and use a scanner/til system that hooks into the backend system. No way you could keep track of things manually. It would add up to a few quid indeed.

I don't think they have the staff to cover it at the minute to be honest with you.

Not sure I buy into that tbh, the shop could easily put a practice into place whereby items get posted out twice a week only. Orders get taken automatically via the would-be site...& a staff member packs them up when they get a chance over the course of the day. The site automatically removes the bought item from the inventory, & all the admin side of things is automatically done (in terms of inventory management etc). The only thing that needs to be done is the for bought item to be packaged up, an invoice printed out, & the address put in place form the order. Two postage days a week, tuesdays & thursdays say...sorted. No extra staff needed. It's a small store, not a corporate giant...these things are all easily implemented given the right approach. The payoff for the extra effort is the store gets a nationwide presence (and the potential for far greater sales figures that goes with that), rather than some clunky, & frankly ridiculous, facebook method of online trading.
    Just like working in an IT environment this standardised practice. is something that needs to be set up from the get go as it can go so far that to back track would be way too much work and too much disruption.

Huh? The RAGE is too big of an entity now to get a dedicated website together which you can buy from? I have to be misunderstanding you there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Steve SI wrote: »
    Taito F3 and Puzzle Bobble 4 in the marketplace for 35 euro :)
    It's had the region mod done on it, not that it's much of a mod.

Seriously, take that down until next month:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

And that's exactly how I would feel about buying from them.

Seriously, take that down until next month:D

Haha, ah it has to go this weekend. It's been annoying me and in the way for ages. Tried to move it on before but no takers so dropped the price to silly low and hoping a regular here will grab it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's beautiful!
    I can't have it though
    Best I can do is have it running on the Candy once I get a 2 player CP.

Master of the Universe

Haha, ah it has to go this weekend. It's been annoying me and in the way for ages. Tried to move it on before but no takers so dropped the price to silly low and hoping a regular here will grab it.

Really tempted at that price (which is just silly to be honest!) But just don't have the space for it really :(

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Really tempted at that price (which is just silly to be honest!) But just don't have the space for it really :(

If it doesn't get moved this weekend I'm going to let the guest dog have at it, he likes PCB :)

If it doesn't get moved this weekend I'm going to let the guest dog have at it, he likes PCB :)

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's beautiful!
    I can't have it though
    Best I can do is have it running on the Candy once I get a 2 player CP.

Any progress on the panel cidey?

Any progress on the panel cidey?

I've found a local steel fabricator that does small pieces with laser cutting.
    While they don't appear to have done a cp they have examples of thin steel with holes cut, so I'm hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

o1s1n wrote: »
    Receive stock - price stock - announce stock and list it for sale.

These steps are not interchangeable.

Yea but we all watch video's by the game chasers, and do they ever just pay the prices they're given?

What i mean is a shop selling retro games is a different animal, its not some chainstore so if the guy behind the counter knows that you're a collector, he'll meet ya in the middle, in my experience anyway.

I walked in a while back, saw a few boxed 2600 games at ridiculous prices, got talkin with ray, we haggled and done a deal. Win win!

I've found a local steel fabricator that does small pieces with laser cutting.
    While they don't appear to have done a cp they have examples of thin steel with holes cut, so I'm hopeful.

Any sense of price. Can't imagine a one off being cheap.

No idea yet, I don't have a set of plans to give them either, so sizing will be difficult.

No idea yet, I don't have a set of plans to give them either, so sizing will be difficult.

I think you're mad going that route. I can think of three different lads online who offer those panels and have done all the hard work with measuring etc.

• Company Representative Posts: 14 Verified rep Player1 Gaming: Shane

eddhorse wrote: »
    Not sure who here said there was a new gaming shop in Maynooth.

http://www.player1.ie

They have the standard PS3 PS4, Xbox , Nintendo and preowned.
    I spotted a sega megadrive and numerous games for NES, SNES, Megadrive, N64, gameboy advance.
    Some NES ones attached, sorry for the bad pic.

They also have a 2 player Mame machine.

Best of luck to them.

Eddhorse,

Glad you found us. We are still in our infancy, open just 3 and a half months now. We are working on building our retro game library so what you saw when you visited will definitely grow over the coming months. The website is still an early build too and will also be improved so be sure to check back. We have just started putting some of our retro games on the website for sale too but it is still work in progress. Anything sub 10 euro will probably be store walk in only but the stuff that is online will be free shipping in Ireland .

My name is Shane and I'm the boards representative for Player1 Gaming, feel free to contact me or call the store with any questions.

Regards,

• Advertisement

Anything sub 10 euro will probably be store walk in only

That's my only criticism, personally I'm far more likely to buy in bulk with lower priced games. If you had games up on the site that were <€10 with free delivery, I know I'd prob do a fair bit of buying from you guys. While I'd still consider the dearer games, I think I'd be less likely to buy them. If it's at all feasible, you should consider throwing ALL your games up on the site :) Otherwise, great job...the free national shipping thing is how it should be done. If you get up & running, maybe consider the likes of 3 for 30 type deals etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement