Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

100 euros? Either that game has suddenly become rare or they are taking the piss. It's not hard to find at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    100 euros? Either that game has suddenly become rare or they are taking the piss. It's not hard to find at all.

Can't you get in online for less than half that?? Or am I missing something here?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

timmy880 wrote: »
    Can't you get in online for less than half that?? Or am I missing something here?

And to think people reckoned they'd turned over a new leaf :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

And I bet it's placed along with all their other Megadrive games right beside the window when the sun can bleach the spine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭RNB

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And to think people reckoned they'd turned over a new leaf :(

And to think people should be given the benefit of the doubt before making judgement.

Timmy, was it complete and in vgc? If so, not the craziest price at all - I see one there on the link below selling for over €140! :eek:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=probotector+mega+drive&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not hard to find at all.

There are less than ten on eBay and one on Amazon.

Master of the Universe

RNB wrote: »
    There are less than ten on eBay and one on Amazon.

That's loads :pac:

A real 'rare' game will usually only have 1 copy or less on ebay at all times.

Try searching for a PAL copy of The Punisher on the Megadrive. There isn't even one on ebay right now.

There's only one PAL Death and Return of Superman too.

Actually that's led me to an interesting item, two of the rarest of the rare Megadrive games - in one listing! Both missing books though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Mega-Drive-Fatal-Fury-2-Death-Return-of-Superman-Rarest-Games-on-system-/321508990713?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item4adb6ddef9

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Less than 10 on ebay is quite a lot compared so something really rare. That doesn't take into account copies on the continent, there'll be plenty in France, Germany etc. The American and Japanese versions are far more desirable.

As for the one going for 140, it won't sell for that considering you can get it so much cheaper.

Master of the Universe

Here's one ending in a couple of days and it's on £40. Be interesting to see the final price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Probotector-Sega-Mega-Drive-Megadrive-MD-PAL-Complete-CIB-Game-nice-condition-/261575047395?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item3ce71678e3

I think my one cost me about €40 a few years back.

Master of the Universe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

And to think people should be given the benefit of the doubt before making judgement.

I think The RAGE lost all benefit of the doubt priviledges a long time ago. If things are different in there now that's a good thing, but they've some damage control to do, certainly amongst the collector community. Just there a few months ago they offered me €29.99 for a boxed FZ-1 3DO...something they retail at €130+. Now I know a b&m shop has overheads to pay, as well as making a profit...but you cannot blame people when it comes to viewing the rage in an unkind manner, the shop has only itself to blame there. As I said, I'd love to see them turn it around, it could be a fantastic place I'm sure...but the 'gimme all your money for our ultra rare games' approach has given them the reputation they have on here.

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's loads :pac:

Across Europe, ten's not many at all! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I quite like the shop. The staff that are in there at the minute are quite friendly and seem to know what they're talking about, but yeah, a lot of their prices are quite high. Shinobi 3 on the megadrive was €60+ Last time I was in there and they had the MD castlevania game that was priced way up there as well. In fact the majority of their megadrive games are €15-20+

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I quite like the shop. The staff that are in there at the minute are quite friendly and seem to know what they're talking about, but yeah, a lot of their prices are quite high. Shinobi 3 on the megadrive was €60+ Last time I was in there and they had the MD castlevania game that was priced way up there as well. In fact the majority of their megadrive games are €15-20+

It doesn't seem to be a store for a collector but more for the one off 'I used to have that' walk in off the street person

Myrddin wrote: »
    I think The RAGE lost all benefit of the doubt priviledges a long time ago. If things are different in there now that's a good thing, but they've some damage control to do, certainly amongst the collector community. Just there a few months ago they offered me €29.99 for a boxed FZ-1 3DO...something they retail at €130+. Now I know a b&m shop has overheads to pay, as well as making a profit...but you cannot blame people when it comes to viewing the rage in an unkind manner, the shop has only itself to blame there. As I said, I'd love to see them turn it around, it could be a fantastic place I'm sure...but the 'gimme all your money for our ultra rare games' approach has given them the reputation they have on here.

Yeah, when they opened up (4-5 years ago?), their prices were made up as they went along - as far as I could tell - but it's a completely different place now. The staff know their stuff, mostly and the prices are again, mostly spot on with something you can buy online. You might be able to snipe your way to a cheaper bargain on eBay, but I can't be bothered staying up all night to save myself a fiver on something I can walk in off the street and buy.

As for the 3DO thing, I think they sell them for a €100 loose, so they probably didn't get that it was boxed, or else they went full-mong for a minute, 'cause any trade-in's I've been involved in in there recently have been pretty fair and decent.

My only complaint is that I wish there was more Saturn titles available!

Master of the Universe

I've found it to be far more than 'just a fiver" though.

Didnt someone just say €60 for Shinobi 3? That's outrageous.

EBay listing prices are not an accurate gauge on value.(which is what they seem to do) you can price an item at anything, doesn't mean people will pay that.

That should be looking under advanced search at ended items which sold and maybe adding a little on top.

I bought Shinobi 3 recently for about 30-35, and I wasn't waiting up half the night to snipe..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've scored enough genuine bargains in there over the years that I still think it worthwhile to pop in when I'm passing by. And yes, for more common stuff their prices are perfectly reasonable - maybe a couple of euro more than eBay, but then you'd always expect that in a retail shop. Good for a browse and the occasional impulse purchase, really, which more or less sums up the whole bricks and mortar experience in general these days.

Their prices on the 'rare' stuff can be quite ridiculous, and you often see them sticking around on the shelves longer than necessary. The question to ponder is who would buy these rare titles at that price - certainly not the more casual buyer who would be incredibly unlikely to pick up a game at that price, and equally likely not a collector who knows the ins-and-outs of online auction hunting. It's that higher-end stuff where they should probably try and find more of a compromise between 'too cheap' and 'too expensive', and also the occasional popular but not exactly rare title they might overprice. But as I have said many times, for the bulk of their games I'd raise few objections to their pricing structure, and the odd bargain is always a pleasant surprise.

Most of the retro stores in the US sell the popular games at a mark up from ebay prices and sell the rarer stuff cheaper. It means you get a good profit off the joe soap buying a SNES and Mario kart but keep a good collector clientele as well since you pass off savings on rare games to them yet still make a profit. Seems like a far more sensible solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Yeah. I don't remember what the exact price was. I just remember putting it down as quickly as I had picked it up, ha. It was around that price though. The pricier games are all on the wall shelves (once again, right beside the window...)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can't post a link but both Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Kirby Super Deluxe for the jap Snes are for sale on Adverts and, if your Snes can run imported titles, they are well worth having, especially at the low prices their being sold for.

• Advertisement

Yeah, when they opened up (4-5 years ago?), their prices were made up as they went along - as far as I could tell - but it's a completely different place now. The staff know their stuff, mostly and the prices are again, mostly spot on with something you can buy online. You might be able to snipe your way to a cheaper bargain on eBay, but I can't be bothered staying up all night to save myself a fiver on something I can walk in off the street and buy.

A b&m shop will always be that bit dearer, by virtue of the fact that they've a business to run...& that's absolutely normal. I'd have no problem paying a few euro more in a b&m, for a few reasons. The 'thrill of the hunt' type thing mainly, but you're supporting a local business too so yeah, no issues with the slightly higher prices here. However, & admiteddly I've no been in to them in a good while, it always seemed to me that you'd be talking more than a fiver in difference though, a lot more. Plus the condition of carts/cases etc I thought left a lot to be desired. It costs nothing to clean them, & looks a whole lot better. As Mr Vestek professes though, there are good positive changes ahoy in there & I'm glad to hear it. I really should pop in again soon.
    As for the 3DO thing, I think they sell them for a €100 loose, so they probably didn't get that it was boxed, or else they went full-mong for a minute, 'cause any trade-in's I've been involved in in there recently have been pretty fair and decent.

I dunno, it was only a few months ago & the chap repeated the price to me & said "yep, €29.99 for a boxed 3DO is the best we can do"...so I dunno, maybe it was just an off day? If it's indeed true that most of their Megadrive games are €15/€20+ then initially to me that seems a bit steep. Do they do offers like 4 for 50 or anything like that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If it's indeed true that most of their Megadrive games are €15/€20+ then initially to me that seems a bit steep. Do they do offers like 4 for 50 or anything like that?

They are usually pretty good at knocking something of the price if you're spending a bit (I had a fiver or tenner knocked off when I was buying two games once), and are very often up for negotiation. I can't remember what game it was, but I went up one time to enquire what the price of a game they had was since there was no sticker. The guy at the counter said 'ah a tenner will be grand', even though he seemed to well know it was worth a little bit more than that. Again, they're perfectly capable of being generous, just a matter of asking sometimes :)

I must pay them a visit so, the last time I wasn't impressed but things sound a lot better in there now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

€50 for Donkey Kong with expansion pack wasn't too bad... then again they did forget to put the actual expansion pack in the box... they're going to put one aside for me the next time it comes in.

So yeah you're going to have good and bad experiences in a place but to be fair as I've stated a few times here since Ray was instated as manager the place seems a lot more open to negotiation and bundling stuff together etc.

It seems to have lost a lot of it's smug douchéy attitude too... thankfully.

Ohh and the fact that Ray holds Dreamcast promo copies for me any time they come in is very very much appreciated.

It's that kinda stuff that keeps me going back to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Not sure who here said there was a new gaming shop in Maynooth.

http://www.player1.ie

They have the standard PS3 PS4, Xbox , Nintendo and preowned.
    I spotted a sega megadrive and numerous games for NES, SNES, Megadrive, N64, gameboy advance.
    Some NES ones attached, sorry for the bad pic.

They also have a 2 player Mame machine.

Best of luck to them.

Master of the Universe

I must pay them a visit so, the last time I wasn't impressed but things sound a lot better in there now

Don't get too excited. If you're anything like me, it'll go something like this.

/walk in.
    /pick a console selection to browse through
    /see a game you've been looking for, smile with glee and pick it up
    /wince* in horror when you see the price
    /put the game back
    /Pick up another game you've been looking for.
    /notice the price is within what you'd be willing to pay
    /open it up to find a missing booklet, marks on the cart etc

/repeat for every console in the shop.

*degree of wincing can vary from 'hmm, that's a bit more than I'm willing to pay' to 'dear god in heaven! are they on crack?'

I literally go in with money burning a hole in my pocket, eager to spend and come out empty handed.

Saying that, I do already own a large percentage of their stock, so maybe they're a bit better for the common type stuff that a newbie wouldn't have yet?

All I know is any game I've wanted to buy is far too over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Forgot the pic.

Also they have a high score challenge for Snow Bros, Wonder boy and Metal Slug. Turn you 50c into a €15 voucher.
    Might be easy for some of you gurus.

Master of the Universe

One minor adjustment to that - two weeks after they opened I got a boxed PAL Gunstar Heroes and an unboxed PAL Turtles in Time for a tenner each - great bargains, but first and last unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Don't get too excited. If you're anything like me, it'll go something like this.

/walk in.
    /pick a console selection to browse through
    /see a game you've been looking for, smile with glee and pick it up
    /wince* in horror when you see the price
    /put the game back
    /Pick up another game you've been looking for.
    /notice the price is within what you'd be willing to pay
    /open it up to find a missing booklet, marks on the cart etc

/repeat for every console in the shop.

*degree of wincing can vary from 'hmm, that's a bit more than I'm willing to pay' to 'dear god in heaven! are they on crack?'

I literally go in with money burning a hole in my pocket, eager to spend and come out empty handed.

Saying that, I do already own a large percentage of their stock, so maybe they're a bit better for the common type stuff that a newbie wouldn't have yet?

Is that on a regular basis though? Have you actually talked to anybody like Ray and tried to haggle?

They are open to it these days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement