Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Myrddin wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding like my Grandad, or Ciderman even...years ago you had to be someone to get on tv. You had to have a certain something, charisma, style, acting ability, singing ability, dancing ability, presence, something....anything. You had to earn your place, & rightly so.

Today though, when we have a world where Chum Lee is a tv star, it really is a "I don't want to live on this planet" thing sometimes. All these 'reality' stars, 'celebs', & just in general, people who may as well be literally be plucked off the street & made famous. I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ARE OR WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY!!! :o

Or even worse, if that's imaginable, 'socialites'. People who generally come from privileged backgrounds, who do nothing....absolutely nothing, other than frequent expensive nightclubs...are famous for this. Christ almighty, I'm not a conspiracy theorist but ffs, all this stuff lends credence to claims that there's something put into the water to dumb us down :p

What's more worrisome/laughable/whatever way you want to take it - is the fact there is an audience for these types of programmes. There must be an awful lot of people out there that like watching that type of stuff and creating the demand for it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    What's more worrisome/laughable/whatever way you want to take it - is the fact there is an audience for these types of programmes. There must be an awful lot of people out there that like watching that type of stuff and creating the demand for it. :(

Oh without doubt, the people are certainly getting what they want. The numbers for reality tv shows must be massive

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

haha I watch all these shows! I know they are fake, but i watch them all the same, I know they over value stuff, i know its all fake and scripted, but i like to watch it mainly to learn about the stuff they find. eg the historical info on the stuff on pawn stars.

I really like Comic Book Men and probably after that one of my favorites is Toy Hunter, its a good nostalgic trip watching him find thundercats, he-man mask, transformers etc.. I generally watch the ones that have old games\Comics\Toys. I listen to Kevins Smiths podcasts all the time which is why i like Comic Book Men as its all the guys from the "tell em steve dave" pod.

Im under no illusion any of it is real, its TV fluff, but i find it interesting enough learning about the stuff on the shows. In fact when it comes to Comic Book Men, if you listen to the tell em steve dave podcast at the start of the second season they had a new producer who was telling them what to say on the show, scripting everything, they ended up getting the guy fired because he wouldnt let them talk about what they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Most people are stupid, it's a fact and that why tv way it is but it's great cause it's HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Like my mother years ago when Big Brother was a new enough thing (year 2000 or so) caught her watching E4 in the morning when they were all asleep.

Me: Ermmmm... ok I don't understand why you watch this tripe in general but why now? They're all asleep...

Mam: Yeah but what if they wake up? I want to see what happens...

I love my Mother and all but jesus christ she watches some ****e on TV.

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »
    but i like to watch it mainly to learn about the stuff they find. eg the historical info on the stuff on pawn stars.

Thats true, the items themselves & their history are the most interesting part definitely. It's just the bs to content ratio is so low in those shows, & only getting worse, I just can't be arsed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

The Toy Hunter one is great just for nostalgic reasons, some of the stuff he finds, toys you had years ago but had forgotten about.

If you download pawn stars you can watch an episode in 10mins skipping all the scut talk ,
    same for all disco channel muck.
    The "gold hunters" **** is gone totally overboard too.
    must be 5 or 6 gold shows

• Registered Users Posts: 34,566 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Mad increase on the amount of gun shows too.

Reminds me of this;

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And this is everything that is wrong with TV these days. :mad:

For every 'Breaking Bad', we get dozens of these shows scripted and made, and shown on repeat ad-infinitum.

Yeah, that's why I watch The Fosters and Switched at Birth...... I'll get me coat....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yeah, that's why I watch The Fosters and Switched at Birth...... I'll get me coat....
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Ugh, nothing on today but repeats... :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ugh, nothing on today but repeats... :pac:

D'Oh!
    Bloody phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I posted a while back about official headsets for the Wii U in PC world for under €6 bucks. Avoid them, apparently they are coming back faulty O_o
    On my set anything about 5khz and over came out a distorted raspy clipping mess. Returned mine yesterday. They were called 'project sustain' or something but officially licensed. Rubbish but looked really nice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

guaranteed it had YLOD, and they've done a temporary fix to get it sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

guaranteed it had YLOD, and they've done a temporary fix to get it sold.

How do you reckon that?

So it looks like the cheap E2 and Astro on AO deal was pulled.
    The E2 was deffo not sold anyway,I'd say he was offered propper money for it!
    What do you think an E2 is worth?Not that Id sell mine but you never know !!!!
    TBH I dont even rember what I paid for it.lol
    not even a year ago.Need to ease off the wacky backy:p

urbanledge wrote: »

I think you paid €150/€200ish about a year ago. If you're moving it on, I'll give you the €300 for it......

:p

Master of the Universe

Fairly sure you paid €1000 delivered?

Yep, I realize how stalkerish that sounds! I just have a weird memory when it comes to prices on videogame items. Can tell you what I spent on pretty much everything I own, it's bizarre :D

As for a resale price? It's a tough one because the market is so limited in Ireland. I would have thought an E2 would be worth up to €1200. And I'd say there are definitely people out there who have been on waiting lists for ages who would pay that for one.

Finding someone who would pay that in Ireland though would be a struggle. Or would it?

There was a time when I couldn't get a cab anywhere and I'd have offered that amount AND a kidney :D

It was deffo more than 1000 before delivery!
    I could look up it up.
    If i really wanted

• Advertisement

I did
    1200 delivered with a step down.
    nice

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I did
    1200 delivered with a step down.
    nice

So approx 900 sans delivery and step down...hmmm :pac:

Master of the Universe

Ahhh so the cab itself was €1000, that was it.

Aye,
    I deffo got a good deal on that one.

Master of the Universe

Did you haggle with Ronnie at all to get it down to that price?

I managed to knock something like €150-€200 off my Pony by doing that. I think it cancelled out the postage.

No I didnt,
    I'd say if he was selling it now he'd be asking a lot more.
    Nobody bringing any sweet sweet candy in this year?

Gummivenus-ashley.png

Master of the Universe

Good question. They were coming over by the boat load last year - not too much mention of new ones over the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Good question. They were coming over by the boat load last year - not too much mention of new ones over the last while.

It's all bartops and dedicated cabs these days :0)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

And cdi

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement