Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Myrddin wrote: »
    Props always find a way

It was my birthday some time there after Christmas, horrible time, and my other half done me up a lovely card and its centrepiece was T-Rex eating George Contanza. As one of my favorite lines in any movie comes from Jurassic Park and its, 'when you gotta go, you gotta go.'
    Anyway that movie scared the crap outta me as well when I was younger, just the bit where the Rapter opens the door. Couldn't sleep all night, fun times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm, I'm waiting for the "Billy and the Dinosaurus" merch to arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    just the bit where the Rapter opens the door. Couldn't sleep all night, fun times.

Yeah up until that point I was safe in the knowledge that if dinosaurs ever came back to roam the earth again, we'd all be safe behind our locked doors.

Give them a few weeks and they'll be picking locks too :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Someone was looking for this, Silent hill HD collection for the PS3, here in Tesco clarehall, hiding in the PS2 section. Probably still a fiver

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Someone was looking for this, Silent hill HD collection for the PS3, here in Tesco clarehall, hiding in the PS2 section. Probably still a fiver

But its crap apparently. The HD port was lazy and half-assed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

o1s1n wrote: »
    Here's a really interesting joystick for a good price.

It works with both the PCE and the Megadrive.

It's a clone of the Neo Geo AES stick (apparently it has microswitches too!) and oddly, the buttons are modeled after the Megadrive arcade stick.

I had an offer of £24 but withdrew it as I just don't have the space for another stick.

I can't find any info about them online anywhere. Oddly, there's a compartment at the bottom for batteries and looks to be a wireless indicator light on the front of it. I wonder did it originally come with a wireless receiver too?

One down side, the cable has a bit of a break on it. It works, but requires some fiddling. Easy fix though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151213240505&ssPageName=ADME:X:BORO:GB:1123

Ended up purchasing that joystick along with the Mega Drive the guy was selling.

Master of the Universe

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Ended up purchasing that joystick along with the Mega Drive the guy was selling.

Nice one. I'd be really interested in seeing some snaps when you get it (and what the story is with the wireless indicator light!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Nice one. I'd be really interested in seeing some snaps when you get it (and what the story is with the wireless indicator light!)

Twill get pics up when I get it so :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wonder if someone just spray painted their cart gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

GOG Time Machine sale: http://www.gog.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Jack burton

The only time I saw a 100% legit gold cart for sale was when Pat the NES punk got his. He bought it from someone who had gotten it from a competition winner and he had proof of the original purchase and Nintendo official list of winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The only time I saw a 100% legit gold cart for sale was when Pat the NES punk got his. He bought it from someone who had gotten it from a competition winner and he had proof of the original purchase and Nintendo official list of winners.

Did Pat pay mega bucks for his?

He never said...I'd say around the 15'000 mark. They seem to usually go for around that.

He offered both of them on pawn stars for 35'000...grey and gold carts

He never said...I'd say around the 15'000 mark. They seem to usually go for around that.

He offered both of them on pawn stars for 35'000...grey and gold carts

Let me guess... *cracks knuckles

Pat walks into the store, & says he has some rare Nintendo games to sell. Gives the shpiel on them, & names his price.
    The guy behind the counter more than likely just so happens to have a buddy who knows about these things, & will come in and advise.
    The buddy comes in, verifies the carts & puts a value on them.
    The guy behind the counter then sticks in a low ball offer, & explains its a business they run & they can't offer retail prices
    Pat concedes slightly
    The guy behind the counter goes up a little
    They're both miles apart & call it a day.

It will of course, not have been a complete set up from the beginning, & had nothing at all to do with generating publicity or discussion

/sarcasm :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Ha, it's chum lee too. It's like having the Disneyland Mickey Mouse mascot do the finances for Dinsneyland itself. Ugh, 'reality' tv :rolleyes:

Q:Hello there Chum lee....I have a piece of the original cross, signed by Jesus himself. I was hoping to get 200'000 for it.

A:I can give you 100 bucks for it

Q:Hello there Chum lee....I have a piece of the original cross, signed by Jesus himself. I was hoping to get 200'000 for it.

A:I can give you 100 bucks for it

Or on another day:

Q: Hi there, I've a piece of chewing gum I found on the street. My friend said it was chewed by Bill Clinton, he can tell by the tooth indentations.
    Chum Lee - I'll give you 25k for it.

It's nonsense, with all due respect to that chap, he's only there as a tourist attraction as he's part of the tv show. He shouldn't be anywhere near big dollar deals like that, & I very much doubt he ever is.

Well I read an article off a guy who said he went there and the shop doesnt allow photography but he snuck a few and over half the shop is "Pawn Stars" memorabilia

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

a friend of mine was in it and he said the same, also they have crazy prices on the stuff that was on screen, he said there was a virtual boy there and it was 500 Euro just because it was in an episode.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

keithgeo wrote: »
    a friend of mine was in it and he said the same, also they have crazy prices on the stuff that was on screen, he said there was a virtual boy there and it was 500 Euro just because it was in an episode.

The one they paid $80 for?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

Myrddin wrote: »
    Or on another day:

Q: Hi there, I've a piece of chewing gum I found on the street. My friend said it was chewed by Bill Clinton, he can tell by the tooth indentations.
    Chum Lee - I'll give you 25k for it.

It's nonsense, with all due respect to that chap, he's only there as a tourist attraction as he's part of the tv show. He shouldn't be anywhere near big dollar deals like that, & I very much doubt he ever is.

He puts on the retard act for the show.

Flaregon wrote: »

That may be, but that just further cements shows like this as being completely staged & scripted.

Master of the Universe

Once you realize those shows are scripted it becomes absolutely impossible to watch The Discovery Channel. It's just scripted reality show after scripted reality show. It's become the MTV of history and knowledge.

Similar to the 'does anyone remember when MTV played music' comments, does anyone remember when the Discovery channel actually showed real documentaries? Long time ago now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

If you want to see completely staged and scripted check out storage wars.

My god...

Once you realize those shows are scripted it becomes absolutely impossible to watch The Discovery Channel. It's just scripted reality show after scripted reality show. It's become the MTV of history and knowledge.

Similar to the 'does anyone remember when MTV played music' comments, does anyone remember when the Discovery channel actually showed real documentaries? Long time ago now!

It's mad, when digital tv dawned a good few years ago, The Discovery Channel would have been a major draw for me. It had tons of excellent content, always shown & presented very well. Today though, as you rightly say, it's the MTV of 'knowledge' channels now.
    Achilles wrote: »

My god...

That is truly awful stuff. At least a soap opera doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is, love them or hate them. But when shows so staged & scripted try to pass themselves off as 'reality', it's just insulting.

Master of the Universe

Achilles wrote: »

My god...

It's horrendously scripted alright. Sometimes I like to watch it just to see their hilariously over priced valuations.

And then the inevitable staged chump who just so happens to be a huge collector of the over priced crap they've found and offers them a truck load of money.

I'd say storage unit owners are laughing their arses off at the amount of eejits showing up to their lots and offering money for rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Flaregon wrote: »

And this is everything that is wrong with TV these days. :mad:

For every 'Breaking Bad', we get dozens of these shows scripted and made, and shown on repeat ad-infinitum.

• Advertisement

And this is everything that is wrong with TV these days. :mad:

For every 'Breaking Bad', we get dozens of these shows scripted and made, and shown on repeat ad-infinitum.

At the risk of sounding like my Grandad, or Ciderman even...years ago you had to be someone to get on tv. You had to have a certain something, charisma, style, acting ability, singing ability, dancing ability, presence, something....anything. You had to earn your place, & rightly so.

Today though, when we have a world where Chum Lee is a tv star, it really is a "I don't want to live on this planet" thing sometimes. All these 'reality' stars, 'celebs', & just in general, people who may as well be literally be plucked off the street & made famous. I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ARE OR WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY!!! :o

Or even worse, if that's imaginable, 'socialites'. People who generally come from privileged backgrounds, who do nothing....absolutely nothing, other than frequent expensive nightclubs...are famous for this. Christ almighty, I'm not a conspiracy theorist but ffs, all this stuff lends credence to claims that there's something put into the water to dumb us down :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement