Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 01/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I suggest you take a look at the 850hPa and 700 hPa wind charts from the NAE model this morning;) They're backing more easterly as the day goes on!

(Those wind charts refer to the wind direction and strength about a kilometre or so above us.)

Yea NAE have 20mm of accumed precip here by midnight.

But 850hpa winds only swing E briefly towards 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

roryc1 wrote: »
    Beer fridge on

*Yoink*

• Registered Users Posts: 46 krrh

can anyone please tell me how much snow west dublin (clondalkin) is expected to get over the next 24 hours?

Are we going to get more today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

5starpool wrote: »
    If you look at the radar images here: http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ you can see that showers are developing to the north and to the south of the isle of man, and anywhere on the coast here in line with the IoM relative to the wind direction, is likely to not receive snow.

I understand what that means, but if it were cloud before passing OVER the isle of man, why isn't is cloud after the isle of man?

surely the isle of man hasn't got a massive volcano to catch the cloud..

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Out for a nice long walk dub 16/24, got destroyed, very blizzardy. Of course as I approached the house it laid off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Heavy Snow back in Greystones again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Treehere

irish1967 wrote: »
    :D

IOM.jpg

Right lads, we ask no questions and just enjoy the snow right?

I mean, what are the chances someone managed to shove the Isle of Man into Loch Neagh. Silly right? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Easing off in Blackrock now!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

So has the forecast actually changed?? I certainly didn't see this much snow for Dublin in it??

Or maybe I just saw the wrong one.

Is this meant to go on all day?? Anyone think our show is still gonna happen tonight??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

iancw wrote: »
    pollerton

ah. snowing in Graig now lol :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 solasame

Doesn't look like Cork is going to see a shred today, unless what's happening in Newbridge at the moment makes its way slip sliding down our way.

Boo hoo hoo!!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

It just keeps coming here in D14. 4-5 inches in my back garden now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Havn't looked at any weather forecast or anything since yesterday afternoon. Is the West due anything? I know Friday is/was a maybe but that could just be rain?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

solasame wrote: »
    Doesn't look like Cork is going to see a shred today, unless what's happening in Newbridge at the moment makes its way slip sliding down our way.

Boo hoo hoo!!!! :(

i'm moving on and not expecting anything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Saturday's snow never got to thaw so 8 inches now in the garden.
    Best/worst snow since 82, surpassed 87 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

So...I do realise the answer to this but my heart is saying "Just ask! What's the worst they'll tell you?!" ;)

Am supposed to be meeting friends in Galway today. This was all arranged weeks ago for mutual days off, haven't seen each other in months. Would be driving down from Sligo. What's the roads like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

flamegrill wrote: »
    Where in Carlow? Blue sky over in Graiguecullen here atm..

Bucketing down outside Ballon in Carlow here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Looks like Raheny/Killester is in the northern edge of the southern streamer , I can see it just about above me , no snow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

catreyn wrote: »
    So...I do realise the answer to this but my heart is saying "Just ask! What's the worst they'll tell you?!" ;)

Am supposed to be meeting friends in Galway today. This was all arranged weeks ago for mutual days off, haven't seen each other in months. Would be driving down from Sligo. What's the roads like?

Came down on the bus yday. Roads aren't that bad. Bit of snow around Tuam but all in all they're ok I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

I can see that cloud over the trees. If it hits Kilkenny i's some job.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I understand what that means, but if it were cloud before passing OVER the isle of man, why isn't is cloud after the isle of man?

surely the isle of man hasn't got a massive volcano to catch the cloud..

:p

I think, and excuse the use of technical terms, that the Isle of Man is just a stupid snow spoiling island. they must have massive hairdryers turned on or something, probably powered by those tail-less cats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭andre2010

I think dublin is going to miss a lot a lot of this snow again today, the wind direction is pretty similar to yesterday, although it is a lot colder.
    Citywest seems to be getting a few showers but nothing too heavy. plus it looks like the major snowfalls have passed, The radar doesnt seems to show much more

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Steady snow here again with an impressive 20cm on the ground:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Saturday's snow never got to thaw so 8 inches now in the garden.
    Best/worst snow since 82, surpassed 87 now.

Pretty good chance of another few inches this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

andre2010 wrote: »
    I think dublin is going to miss a lot a lot of this snow again today, the wind direction is pretty similar to yesterday, although it is a lot colder.
    Citywest seems to be getting a few showers but nothing too heavy. plus it looks like the major snowfalls have passed, The radar doesnt seems to show much more

their developing again on either side of the isle of man but like a divide in the road, their running parallel to each other and D15 is caught in the middle of that divide :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Bucketing down heavy snow in Cabinteely for over an hour now. Not looking good for the commute home.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

YAYYYY...it worked!!! Turned off the laptop, stopped lamp watching, went to bed to catch up on my sleep and woke up to WHITEOUT!!!!

Lots and lots of beautiful snow in D.14.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Wow it is cold outside, never felt cold like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Looks like Raheny/Killester is in the northern edge of the southern streamer , I can see it just about above me , no snow :(
    Little bess thank god your back I am living in artane but am working out here in tallaght.So I was looking at your posts yeterday to find out what it was like at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

lots of snowing falling in Newbridge - adding to last night's accumulation. Looks like it's going to be snowing for a while - the sky looks full!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement