Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 01/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TravelTales

Here's a slide show of Carlingford in the snow on Monday Nov, 29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhKH3nx_-5Y

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Treehere wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain that lump is an error in the radar :/ Clouds move, that yellow blob hasn't moved in hours.

Not that, the other lump looks like its going to be a direct hit for the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

just after venturing out (dun laoighre), the term "hailstones like golfballs" springs to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Just heard that Wexford has run out of GRIT, did they not learn from last year???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

_whiskers wrote: »
    When will the IOM shadow disappear?:(

IOM due to be moved shortly.

Just waiting for a larger tug.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Unusual for Drogheda or Louth to be getting hit although for many parts of Dublin and Wicklow this is quite common. ENJOY:D:D
    *Where* did you pull that from?! In January 08 so-called "streamers" centered around Drogheda and gave the area about 4 inches! Since about 07 Drogheda's been hit twice by these streamers in significant amounts, and Dublin city's been hit twice (although today's been iffy for me in the city centre)

In fairness to the car crash video, they wouldn't have done that sort of damage to their car if they had been driving at 15 miles per hour or less. And the road looks level, so the speed didn't come from gravity...

The M2 dewpoint won't matter so much for the next while as the air is now clearly cold enough. Once it stays below 1.5 or 1 or thereabouts, I wouldn't be worrying about it.

*sciencey bit* And because the capacity for water in air is mainly temperature dependent (pressure doesn't come into it as the wind is coming from areas of roughly equal atmospheric pressure), it means that the dewpoint serves as a good gauge of how much actual water vapour is in the air at ground level! The higher the dewpoint, the more capacity in the air for showers once the air is cooled to below the dewpoint, as what happens in clouds. So a dewpoint of around 0 is very useful, for beefy showers while still maintaining the snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Dcully wrote: »
    Morons laughing tbh, yeah fcuking hilarious :rolleyes:

So last year the whole of ireland were morons for laughing at the "guy who slipped on the RTE news"? :rolleyes:

where was that.is it Borris?

Carlow town, just before the sugar factory round about

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

murty01 wrote: »
    Just stopped pelting down in Newbridge. Serious stuff. Just was on the way to B&Q and it started. was in there for 15 mins max and the car was covered. a good 3 inches in about half an hour. supposed to work in Duleek tonight. Looking very unlikely now.

Im in Newbridge myself and beautiful sunshine at the moment , although I can see clouds encroaching all around me .

Stopped her about 50 mins ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Light snow in D4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LID

Helium wrote: »
    Only know about the Red sky at night one biggrin.gif

Sorry! Just a bit giddy todaywink.gif

Well at least pretend that you know it means definitely more snow on it's way!! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So last year the whole of ireland were morons for laughing at the "guy who slipped on the RTE news"? :rolleyes:

The difference being rte stated the guy wasnt injured in any way.
    You havent a clue who was driving the car, hell of a diffference.

Is it your video and you laughing? ie being so defensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 martin king

snow very lite in donaghmede hope
    it gets heavyer didnt get heavy snow in ages:eek::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

joes girls wrote: »
    Just heard that Wexford has run out of GRIT, did they not learn from last year???

Don't you mean this year :P

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Show tonight cancelled :(

Phantom called and said, "we can't very well be telling people to come to a show AND to avoid unnecessary travel".

AND

"we've been told that Dublin will get at least 5-10cm more snow tonight"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

come down nicely in maynooth now

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Wow it's absolutely pelting down here now! Gorgeous! Not exactly what you'd call a "blizzard" but there's a good bit of wind behind it!

lol aload of dark clouds comin over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

Light snow in Kilkenny town

Dcully wrote: »
    The difference being rte stated the guy wasnt injured in any way.
    You havent a clue who was driving the car, hell of a diffference.

Is it your video and you laughing? ie being so defensive.

It's my vid, myself and a mate laughing. Sorry for offending any of yeee PC heads, but if i find something funny i laugh

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Amazing to hear all the snow reports, swear I'm not jealous! The tail end of a streamer must have managed to sneak into Lusk overnight as there is about 2cm on the ground :o Its like living in another country altogether when I hear about snow reports from others parts - including bloody Balbriggan only up the road!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Drifting between clear and overcast in D2.

Snowing like a bugger in Dun Laoghaire.

Really? I'm not too far away in Rathfarnham and still nothing (well apart from this morning's mini blizzard :D)

I work in DL/Blackrock and yesterday it seemed as if all the showers were in Rathfarnham. I took today off work and now it seems as if they're all out in DL/Blackrock! Typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

In fairness to the car crash video, they wouldn't have done that sort of damage to their car if they had been driving at 15 miles per hour or less. And the road looks level, so the speed didn't come from gravity...

Don't want to go off topic, but there was not a hell of a lot of damage, and I would be very surprised if the car was going over 15mph. Crumple zones are designed to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Lucan firmly in the grips of The Shadow once again. :mad:

stop snowin here roads are like glass

Cionád wrote: »
    Don't want to go off topic, but there was not a hell of a lot of damage, and I would be very surprised if the car was going over 15mph. Crumple zones are designed to do this.

there is a fairly high curb a good bit before that sign so he hit the curb then hit the sign, he had to have been doing some speed for the conditions

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Beautiful sunny snowy scene here. Should change in a few hours with a band of heavy showers due to hit Waterford. Temp is -0.3c DP -2.3c

More live weather data @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

snwoing again here in wex town :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

In fairness, that was hilarious!

Blue sky's beginning to move out of the way for fairly dark grey clouds now over D2 city centre.

Here's hoping!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

light snow for an hour here now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement