Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men in relationships

Options
  • 29-11-2010 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Okay don't know if this is going to come out right and 'il probably come across really bad for even thinking about it!

If there was an attraction between you and a man who was in a relationship would you do anything about it?

This had been in my head now for awhile!! Think the situation is pretty obvious! Neither of us want anything serious, just a bit of fun! Nobody would find out about it. But the sensible side of me knows it's wrong but I still can't help considering it! And the other side of me is thinking well I'm not the one that is attached!!:confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It would be an extremely selfish thing to do imo. Especially knowing the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

It will only lead to hurt... If you want a bit of fun get a vibrator, go on a dating site or go to a pub!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Pebbles!

It would be an extremely selfish thing to do imo. Especially knowing the circumstances.

Yeah I think your right! have been holding off for ages...deep down I think I Know I shouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

No way! If I knew a guy was in a relationship and I liked him I still wouldn't do it anything it's not fair on the other person and it's not even fair on yourself. What happens if you get to attached and start developing serious feelings for him and he still wanted to be with other person, things like that could break a heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Pebbles! wrote: »
    Okay don't know if this is going to come out right and 'il probably come across really bad for even thinking about it!

If there was an attraction between you and a man who was in a relationship would you do anything about it?

This had been in my head now for awhile!! Think the situation is pretty obvious! Neither of us want anything serious, just a bit of fun! Nobody would find out about it. But the sensible side of me knows it's wrong but I still can't help considering it! And the other side of me is thinking well I'm not the one that is attached!!:confused:

I can see your point of view .... you are single... and nothing wrong with you being with a guy ....BUT .... you know he already has a GF/Wife ..... so the moral dilemma !!

think about it this way - if you were in a relationship - would you expect the other person to be faithful ?

Have you ever been cheated on ?

to be honest - only you can make the decision to be with this guy or not.... but be prepared for his wife/GF to find out (these things have a habit of sometimes being discovered)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

You say you don't want anything serious out of this, just a bit of fun. There are plenty of other single guys you could find that you are attracted to and would have just a bit of fun with you.

Have more respect for yourself than to be someone ride on the side. And consider how messy and complicated of a situation you're getting yourself into. It could turn out to be not fun at all.

And thats just from your perspective, not even thinking about what this does to his girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

Personally, no I wouldn't. I would feel cheap, selfish and deceitful. I'd feel awfully guilty about what it would do to the girlfriend when she found out.

I don't think I would respect him if he asked me to be his bit on the side. In fact, it would put me straight off him. I'd run a mile. If he doesn't respect his girlfriend (who I'm sure he loves :rolleyes:) enough to stay faithful, why should I expect him to respect me at all?

Yeah I think ye are all making sense! I think I just needed to hear it from somebody, as nobody else knows about this! I can safely I wouldn't get attached, and I should think about his partner. Thanks guys!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

guy in relationship = automatically off limits & not attractive

Wouldn't go near one in a million years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Pembily wrote: »
    It will only lead to hurt... If you want a bit of fun get a vibrator, go on a dating site or go to a pub!?

Agreed, if it's only for bit of fun not worth the hurt and hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Seen marriages wrecked (and kids destroyed) a bit of fun never stays secret forever.
    If you want to be happy in life. stay away from people in relationships (especially married ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Pebbles, we've all been tempted (well, I have anyway) and know how "clitoral thinking" can cloud your judgement when you are strongly attracted to someone. As I post I would never consider getting involved with an attached man, for all the reasons posted above. But there have been times when my hormones had me climbing the walls over someone attached and I would do a kind of internal monologue version of your op.Thankfully, I didn't act on my attraction, again, for all the reaons posted above. It really was a case of head over heart (ovaries).It was tough at times though.

You know whats right, girl, and I don't doubt but you'll do whats right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I can safely I wouldn't get attached, and I should think about his partner. Thanks guys!

Famous last words, I've been there saying I won't get attached but it happens when you least want it! Murphys Law...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Call me crazy, but the very idea that a guy I'm with is having sex with another woman is a massive turn-off for me, so for that selfish reason alone I couldn't do it.

Also, bad karma and whatnot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

oh and please let's be honest here

enough of the euphemistic "bit of fun", call a spade a spade, you are talking about having sex with a married/attached man so let's confront the truth of what yo are considering.

Plainly it's wrong.

I wouldn't even have an internal monologue about it, it's like the thought of raising a hand to a woman, I just know I can and will never do it because it's wrong and I couldn't live with myself if I ever did it.

So any woman who was married or had a boyfriend/girlfriend or was attached in any way I just simply write them off for any kind of sexual relationship....furthermore I wouldn't ever consider an ex of my friends (again a kind of code of honour) nor would I have a relationship with someone who lived in a different country or had a child(as I know I wouldn't be a loving enough father for a child who wasn't my own) .

However I accept that we don't choose who we fall for but we can at least make life easier for ourselves, however I don't like the idea of having a long detailed set list of preconditions, for example, she must be blonde, a certain breast size, earning x amount a year, above 5foot 9, less than 9 stone etc etc...I know guys and gals who do this (generally I think girls are more fussy and with good reason too but this kind of thinking/mindset is ridiculous if taken too far as the example demonstrates)

The less complications the better, some exclusions are down to integrity, some to convenience but as usual I've gone way off topic, so in summary at the of the day there are loads and loads of single unattached people out there if you want a no strings thing

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

so find someone single and dont ruin someones relationship, if a guy is willing to cheat on someone hes with he's automatically a dickhead anyway, how is that an attractive trait? he thinks so little of his wife/gf that he wants to be with someone else as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Going beyond general calls of "don't do it", "you know it's wrong" etc., I think that if he has made it obvious he is open to the idea, then his girlfriend deserves to know about it, because she is probably going to end up hurt in the future.

I know this is a very debatable suggestion, and it may be discarded pretty quickly, but I think you should warn her; it's wrong to leave her in that situation, with the possibility of getting hurt, not knowing the kind of person she is with.

If you keep it secret, in my opinion, you hold some responsibility for that if she gets hurt the future; unless there is a good reason not to tell her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I would HATE to be cheated on..........AGAIN!!!! Bástard was in pics up on a social networking site of him going off with other girls in night clubs and the like. The feeling is terrible you feel like everyone is laughing at you and that you are so stupid not to have noticed!

When I see a handsome guy that is in a relationship I note that he is handsome or what I like about him, but that is as far as it goes! There are 3 billion guys on this planet. So that means millions of unattached men. So it is not like there are no options :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Going beyond general calls of "don't do it", "you know it's wrong" etc., I think that if he has made it obvious he is open to the idea, then his girlfriend deserves to know about it, because she is probably going to end up hurt in the future.

I know this is a very debatable suggestion, and it may be discarded pretty quickly, but I think you should warn her; it's wrong to leave her in that situation, with the possibility of getting hurt, not knowing the kind of person she is with.

If you keep it secret, in my opinion, you hold some responsibility for that if she gets hurt the future; unless there is a good reason not to tell her.
    Yep and the usual reason is it often backfires. IMHO don't do this unless you know the other person well(and even then). Way too often the person being cheated on will defend the cheater and you will end up the bad guy/girl. Serial cheaters especially seem to have some 6th sense in who they pick for partners who will do this. They'll defend them out of a mixture of loyalty, shock and disbelief that they could miss this and they want everything back to "normal". It's like a self protection thing.

Even if they believe you, if the cheater claims it was a one off and that they were pursued and its all the other persons fault, a lot of the time the cheated on person buys into this. Again for emotional self protection. I was the other guy in a situation and the official partner knew damn well something was going on. Well unless he was clinically moronic. Well he was, I mean he saw me leave her gaff more than once when he went to pick her up for dates. I kid thee not gentle reader. I as so fascinated by this I really pushed it to see at what point would he react, but nope, he ignored it and from what I gather last time I heard he glosses over it still. Why? because he was a bit thick and she was "out of his league" so stupidly accepted the situation as part of that. Like I say, thick. This kinda stuff usually comes out in the end anyway, so unless the person is about to get hitched to the cheater I'd say nada.

As for getting involved? Don't. Nothing good will come of it. IF its a fling you want, yea fine you may think, but it'll come back and bite you in some way. If its something more you want? If their relationship is on the skids and he's lining up a new partner it may look more like a good thing, but beware. Past actions inform future ones more often than not, so if he'll do that to her, he'll do that to you. Even if he doesnt and you actually stayed together, that self centered thinking comes out in other ways. Its pretty much a given IMHO(unless they're 18 and actually have some learning to do).

My 3 cents anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

NOOOOO! Please don't! I was the girlfriend in that situation recently and it hurts like hell, serious girl-on-girl aggression. Stay well back, like very well back so you won't be even tempting/tempted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

Dont do it. For me if a guy is in a relationship it's a 100% no go area.

Why would anybody do anything that they know will only cause pain to somebody?

It's seriously bad karma. Plenty of single guys who you can have fun with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

He's in a relationship, leave him alone. There may be attraction, but he's clearly more attracted to his girlfriend if he's with her.

It really is a no-brainer, yet it always amazes me that some girls actually think this is ok. Having a wandering eye when you're in a relationship is one thing (and let's face it, many of us are guilty of that, looking but not doing anything more. It's human nature) but to actually be considering instigating a "bit of fun" is ridiculous. Just because you're not attached doesn't mean you have the right to try and get it on with yer man.

I don't even know why you have to ask yourself if you should be doing it, the answer is pretty obvious.

There are plenty of other single guys out there, go play with them.

thanks for all yer replies guys! ye've said what I already Knew but guna do the right thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

I find it notable that every single reply on this thread has been anti the possibility of getting involved with an attached man (and stridently against it) yet at the same time, someone out there is getting involved with these cheating men. Men don't cheat on their own, you know.

So either its the one girl going about the place, and she doesn't post here, or there's a few ladies who would advise you to get involved, but don't want to say it because of the moral outrage they will encounter here.

You haven't made up your mind after seeing both sides of the argument. You've heard one argument repeatedly, forcefully put.
    Big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Completely off limits. And I'd question the self worth of anyone who does it to be honest. Why would you want to settle for someone elses seconds when they've already had the starters, main course AND dessert?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

krudler wrote: »
    so find someone single and dont ruin someones relationship, if a guy is willing to cheat on someone hes with he's automatically a dickhead anyway, how is that an attractive trait? he thinks so little of his wife/gf that he wants to be with someone else as well?

I suspect that what she sees as fun is the very fact that this guy is attached to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭28064212

meriwether wrote: »
    I find it notable that every single reply on this thread has been anti the possibility of getting involved with an attached man (and stridently against it) yet at the same time, someone out there is getting involved with these cheating men. Men don't cheat on their own, you know.

So either its the one girl going about the place, and she doesn't post here, or there's a few ladies who would advise you to get involved, but don't want to say it because of the moral outrage they will encounter here.
    Or they don't want to say it because they're ashamed of it? Or they don't want to say because even if they do it, they know it's not a good idea? Or the fact that there's what, about 20 posters here, so it's hardly an accurate reflection of the 2 million or so women in the country?
    meriwether wrote: »
    You haven't made up your mind after seeing both sides of the argument. You've heard one argument repeatedly, forcefully put.
    Big difference.
    Are you going to put forward an argument for the other side so? What is it? That maybe this guy is really her 'the one', so she should go for it? What argument is there that could possibly out-weigh the many, many reasons that she shouldn't?

Trying to fly off the top of a 20-story building generally isn't a good idea, you don't really need to hear both sides of the argument to make up your mind

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

28064212 wrote: »
    Are you going to put forward an argument for the other side so? What is it? That maybe this guy is really her 'the one', so she should go for it? What argument is there that could possibly out-weigh the many, many reasons that she shouldn't?

Exactly, if she was "the one" the poor girlfriend should be dumped to save the girl the misery and then he is a free agent and both people can do what they want!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I've had sex with a guy who I knew was in a relationship, multiple times and it's definitely up there with the worst and the stupidest things I have ever done in my life. She never found out, and they broke up for other reasons but still, she was with him believing that he was being faithful to her when in reality, he was saying whatever he had to to get whatever he wanted from other girls. Not that I'm blaming him, if he said nothing, I still would've slept with him 'cause he was pretty perfect for what I needed at the time - someone bound to walk away.

Anyway, you can have a bit of fun with a guy who isn't already attached. It's fairer on yourself, not to mention the girl he is dating. There are plenty of single men. Just think about how you'd feel if your boyfriend was sleeping with another girl who just wanted some fun... It's not okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I suspect that what she sees as fun is the very fact that this guy is attached to someone else.

One of the reasons women do this is because of severe self-worth issues. They think that if they get the attached man to be with them (and therefore in a way he 'chooses' her over the girlfriend) that means that she 'wins' and is more attractive than the girlfriend. He's risking it all to be with her etc so she must be good/pretty/thin/insert insecurity here.

I've had it attempted several times - I've literally been there when girls have flung themselves at my boyfriend and it is horrible. But it's also really sad. How sad that they have to try and destroy someone else's happiness just to make themselves feel good. It's f*cked up really.

Advertisement