Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Chart, Forecast Analysis & Warnings- 29/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

yes. last christmas day was a nightmare.

We had ice as high as the kerb here because of freezing rain. My back garden out of the sun didnt thaw till end march.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Can anyone give me a link to a good weather radar site that shows the next few hours? Any of the sites I've found so far only show me whats happened already which isn't much use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Can anyone give me a link to a good weather radar site that shows the next few hours? Any of the sites I've found so far only show me whats happened already which isn't much use.

Rain today, its usually only 15 minutes old

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Stopped in D4, but can see big dark clouds to the NE, going to kick off again. Hope the wind stays just the way it is for a while!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

I'm a part - timer who starts work at 6 - 10
    at 10 o'clock what will the footpaths and roads be like im walking so a bit
    nervous will the ice be setting in by then ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Supercell wrote: »
    Any reports from Roundwood?, Wicklow area, must be obscene amounts up there by now.

Was talking to someone who lives a few miles ouside laragh, he has 2ft of snow there, There is 16 inches here in conary, ide imagine roundwood has at least 2ft,

Hopefully we will get rain tomorrow :D

123balltv wrote: »
    I'm a part - timer who starts work at 6 - 10
    at 10 o'clock what will the footpaths and roads be like im walking so a bit
    nervous will the ice be setting in by then ?
    Yes, as soon as the wind goes northerly , Dublin is going to freeze solid, i'd expect ice everywhere with all the slush and snow about today.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

http://premium.raintoday.co.uk/

But you have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Supercell wrote: »
    Yes, as soon as the wind goes northerly , Dublin is going to freeze solid, i'd expect ice everywhere with all the slush and snow about today.

so winds have gone N/NE already by the looks of the streamers? dublin is getting a real bonus dumping today, i really didnt expect these streamers to still be going at this stage. the change in wind direction is really giving dublin a bonus. When are winds due to go N? that will put an end to the streamers to the east i would think?

Moderate snow again now in D4

• Advertisement

http://premium.raintoday.co.uk/

But you have to pay for it.

anyone like to give us a screenshot of what premium is predicting for the next few hrs?

inabina wrote: »
    so winds have gone N/NE already by the looks of the streamers? dublin is getting a real bonus dumping today, i really didnt expect these streamers to still be going at this stage. the change in wind direction is really giving dublin a bonus. When are winds due to go N? that will put an end to the streamers to the east i would think?
    Surface winds are not as important as the winds at cloud level.
    In this case the winds at 850 level.
    As can be seen from the GFS 6Z its not until much later (around midnight) that the steering turns to the land :-

137761.jpg

That said these precip streams are quite thin bands and can and will move about, but there will be precip from the Irish sea hitting the east coast for a while yet

Street lights coming on here now, jebus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

inabina wrote: »
    anyone like to give us a screenshot of what premium is predicting for the next few hrs?

It's predicting snow falling for most places around Dublin (within and around the M50) right up to the beginning of rush hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 timmy89

Big black/purple clouds with white pillared thunder clouds now rolling into Ballina, Mayo...Could be the start of the snow for the West! temp is hovering just below freezing and dew point of -3.4..Fingers crossed.

-3.5 in the car at 11.30am it's now -1. The sky south of Castlebar is clear and blue but to the north and above Castlebar it's cloudy. "The Simpsons Clouds":). Looking towards Nephin, it seems as if its getting a shower. Can't see the thunder clouds you mentioned. Will have to wait and see. Doesn't feel as cold as it did earlier and there is snow/frost falling off the hedges in the back garden.

dav3 wrote: »
    It's predicting snow falling for most places around Dublin (within and around the M50) right up to the beginning of rush hour.

do u have a pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Raintoday are already very generous providing the free radar. Lets not push it by posting their paid stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Raintoday are already very generous providing the free radar

Rain Today fo allow you run a temp simulation forward. I tried this earlier and it showed anywhere East of a line from Dublin to Colraine as remaining about zero tomorrow. Running it now it shows milder temps over almost all of Ireland bar Armagh and Down, although the East is still only +2 or so compared to the +6 in the South West. Does this suggest sleet rather than snow from the front?

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/heatmap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

timmy89 wrote: »
    -3.5 in the car at 11.30am it's now -1. The sky south of Castlebar is clear and blue but to the north and above Castlebar it's cloudy. "The Simpsons Clouds":). Looking towards Nephin, it seems as if its getting a shower. Can't see the thunder clouds you mentioned. Will have to wait and see. Doesn't feel as cold as it did earlier and there is snow/frost falling off the hedges in the back garden.

this is what we are prob seeing timmy

3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Would probably want to start monitoring these buoys now: M4 (approx 50 miles WNW of Rossan Pt in Donegal) and M6 (approx 210 miles WSW of Slyne Hd in Galway).

At 1300 the temp/dewpoints for these respectively were +4.1/-3.4 and +6.9/-2.0.

Comments, especially on the M6 reading?

EDIT: 1400 reports now in.

M4 +4.3/-3.4
    M6 +7.0/-2.0

based on those i'd say there is little chance of snow on coastal fringes. A 4-6am arrival, and decent snow cover, could help some places further inland from the coast see snow for a time.
    Although in these situations the atlantic air has a tendency to modify even very cold air quicker than forecasts anticipate.
    So if this happens it could well be just the north midlands, parts of the east, and the north east that sees snow out of this. The snow would also likely turn back to rain everywhere, except maybe the very north east.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Nice and juicy, precip countrywide, temps look good for 80% of the country too ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=137773&stc=1&d=1291306751

• Registered Users Posts: 46 krrh

can someone please tell me what they expect to happen from now until morning in dublin west (clondalkin)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

can someone please tell me what they expect to happen from now until morning in dublin west (clondalkin)?

snow showers from the east, a hard frost, then frontal snow from the North West.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Hi Guys, what time is the front due to start pushing over the country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 krrh

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

"Snow showers affecting eastern counties will die out for a time early tonight. Otherwise, dry at first with severe or very severe ground frost setting in after dark, leading to ice on untreated surfaces. Rain and sleet arriving in the northwest and west overnight will spread southeast and turn to snow in many places, giving further accumulations before Friday morning. Light to moderate, northerly winds will back southwest to south. Lowest temperatures -4 to -11 degrees Celsius"

Still no mention of rain from met eireann.

ardmacha wrote: »
    snow showers from the east, a hard frost, then frontal snow from the North West.

Sorry to butt in, did you catch what time the frontal snow is on its way?

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

According to the hirlam precipitation model, it should arrive around 1- 2 am on the west coast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Feck it anyways , Im probably in for rain tonight/tomorrow then according to met.ie, Im about as northwest as you can get . Still have 2 inches of snow lieing around since saturday so hopefully the rain will turn to snow tonight.

:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

M4/M6 buoy temp/dewpoints at 1600.

M4: +4.9/-3.6
    M6: +7.8/+0.8

Getting positively balmy at M6 (approx 200 miles WSW Slyne Head) I'd say! This is bad for potential snow along western seaboard?

Advertisement